PDA

View Full Version : Graduate Smoke Free = $5000

sarahnb
01-18-2008, 11:17 AM
This is a great idea. http://www.rewardsfoundation.com/home.html
What are your thoughts?

kaj27
01-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Great idea. NB wouldn't have the money to pull something like that off. Here you might get a coupon for a buy one get one free hair cut or something. But still, good idea.

FutureChief88
01-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Great idea. NB wouldn't have the money to pull something like that off. Here you might get a coupon for a buy one get one free hair cut or something. But still, good idea.

HA!!!:rofl:

but yes.. good idea!

sarahnb
01-18-2008, 12:04 PM
From what I heard, it will be launched across Canada in conjunction with No- Smoking week.

FutureChief88
01-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Should be interesting to see what has to be sacrificed for the government to provide this reward..

It is a good idea tho.

oasis
01-18-2008, 12:15 PM
The government does not pay a dime. The money comes from the sponsors you collect.

sarahnb
01-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Try reading the site for more info.

beachnut
01-18-2008, 10:40 PM
yea, pretty annoying when you post something.. and ppl just read like 5 words from it. I even read all of the frequently asked questions because i was interested in the topic. But to some ppl, ranting about our country's government is their priority.

I think the rewards foundation is great! I hope it works out :)

FutureChief88
01-19-2008, 07:34 AM
Wow..ha
Simmer down..lol

beachnut
01-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Wow..ha
Simmer down..lol

No need to. I was just expressing my opinion :thumbsup:

RCfan
02-01-2008, 08:53 PM
How about they just don't start. Why sponsor some punk for not smoking. Get a life.

rhiley_08j
02-01-2008, 11:53 PM
How about they just don't start. Why sponsor some punk for not smoking. Get a life.

Because it is a positive life choice and something that should be commended.

RCfan
02-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Because it is a positive life choice and something that should be commended.

Ya well they should not start smoking. Why give them money for something they should not do in the first place. Next it will be don't kill anyone and we will pay you?

Does not make any sense at all to me.

Ti10
02-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Its a good idea, but im I feel the same as RCfam, shouldnt have started smoking. The only reward that someone should get for quitting smoking is the amount of money it cost them to quit. (nicoderm, etc) That would be a good enough deal right there. Wyndham Worldwide will do this for you if you want to quit smoking. They will ask you to go to your doctor to get a preference to which method may work best for you to quit and once you have quit for a year any money you spent on quitting is reimbursed to you.

Flaxie
02-07-2008, 08:16 AM
This reward is available to children who have never smoked not just those who quit. I just registered my 10yr old and will register my other 2 later today.
If they can get a reward for making a healthy lifestyle choice, funded by sponsors and not taxes then why not????

RCfan
02-08-2008, 01:26 PM
You have to register your 10yr old to make them not smoke. Just bring them up with you smoking around them maybe they wont start.

FutureChief88
02-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Thats odd.. A 10 year old shouldnt smoke anyway? Should they?

All you need is love
02-08-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm graduating, I've never smoked and $5000 would be delightful...but I'm in grade 12. That sucks.

Flaxie
02-11-2008, 08:00 AM
You have to register your 10yr old to make them not smoke. Just bring them up with you smoking around them maybe they wont start.

I don't smoke, and no I don't have to register her to keep her from smoking, But if she can have that as an incentive to remain smoke free when some of her friends start in middle shool/high school why not? The child has to find sponsors etc. it does not take anything away from you or yours and she can apply it towards her education. I don't see anything negative in it at all

Crystalbeach
02-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Me neither...anything that keeps them from smoking is worth the effort I think...
I smoked for over 40 years and wish someone had done that for me.

Marigold
02-13-2008, 09:34 AM
I've looked through the site, and don't like this idea at all...Take for example a kid in grade 8...He/She is supposed to find donors to give 140.00/month. Over four years this works out to 6720.00 (actually it would be over five years, so 8400.00) Who is getting the extra 1720.00? The foundation? Wouldn't it be better to invest that money in an RESP, which the government adds 20% to and which earns investment interest? Even if the child didn't go on to university, the money (minus the 20%, but still includes the investment interest) could be transferred to and RRSP. Even a regular savings account earning 2% would be better than this program.
Where are these sponsors supposed to come from? I looked through the site, but didn't see any information on where to get these sponsors. All in all, I'd rather keep reminding my son (who is in grade 8) about the health risks and costs of smoking, rather than offering him money for not taking it up...Being healthy and happy is it's own reward.

s

inuit
02-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Good idea but given a lifestyle choice I'd rather my kid smoked than done crack, booze, steal, murder ect..... There are worse things out there. And no, nobody in this family smokes.

Flaxie
02-14-2008, 06:52 PM
The children find the sponsors in their community, local businesses, groups etc. Not only does this program encourage a healthy life style choice but it also encourages kids to get out and become aware of the business world. I encourage my kids to find out about the business marketing etc. Also the company that sponsors them will receive a tax deduction for their sponsorship.