PDA

View Full Version : we have a new dog that we have adopted and I have some questions

la5
01-16-2007, 03:15 PM
The new baby we just adopted is a beagle she is 7yrs old and so adorable .It seems she is in heat as we have an appointment in feb to get her spaded ,myquestion is how long do they spot while in heat.She licks and nibbles at her paws as well how can I get her to stop or is there something avail to put on her paws to discourage her to stop licking ,

new424
01-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Hi,

female dogs usually spot (bleed) anywhere from 4-9 days (this is proestrus) and then the discharge should change to a kind of yellowy color (sometimes will still show trace of blood as well) for 4-13 days (This is estrus)

Conception can occur during the estrus stage, but it's always a good idea to confine your female and keep her away from all males for a minimum of 21 days from the time you notice spotting.

As for the licking of the feet, that can sometimes signal an allergy, may be food related or environmental. You might want to try changing her diet to a food that has no corn or soy in it. (there is lots of good info re: dog foods here http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html ) but in the interim there is spray that you can pick up at most pet stores that you can spray on her paws to ease the itch and stop the licking.

Good luck and post pics soon!!

babydoll101
01-16-2007, 04:21 PM
I don't know anything about a dog being in heat but I absolutely know about the chewing and licking her paws. I had a beagle while growing up we had him for 17 years (he eventually died of cancer). He always did the same thing. He would dig the fur right off of his paws. You have to be very careful in the winter time because she could get frostbitten. Anyway new424 is correct about the allergy thing. It is exactly that. He had allergies gallor. A vet could probably help with the problem. I am now wondering if it has something to do with Beagles. Anyway I hope she brings you many years of joy. I believe I saw this beauty on a local web site. I am jealous!!!

la5
01-16-2007, 06:03 PM
yes she is a beauty for sure ,I will be sure to check with the vet again ,the vet thought it may be because she is stressed but I am going to talk to him again
thanks for your reply

christine chittick
01-16-2007, 08:21 PM
It also could be the road salt too. My rotties will lick their paws, and they have become raw if the road/driveway salt is not properly washed away.