PDA

View Full Version : TV repairs

roccor
01-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Does anyone know of someone that can fix TV's at a good rate? I might be buying a large screen (not plasma/LCD) that is in need of repair. The current owner said it started smoking one day so he unplugged it and hasn't touched it since.

Thank you in advance

kaj27
01-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Youch. I'd keep shopping for a TV.

BHLombardy
01-17-2008, 06:55 AM
Yea, I would agree with kaj27.

First off, buying anything electronic that spews smoke is not a wise investment. If it's large screen and it's not plasma or LCD -- then at this point it's a waste of money.

But it won't be High-Def for one... it most certainly won't be digital... (dont assume that because it's widescreen that it's highdef -- if it's not a flat panel, or some early model 32-inch CRTs -- it's not highdef).

Also, if it's a large screen it would have to be a projection television.
That means that apart from the smoking issue, it's likely going to need to be calibrated after it's been moved (another couple hundred bucks to get someone to do that properly).

Also, because it's a projection TV (and likely quite a number of yeasr old now) ... there's no telling the life of the projection lamps. That being said, you could find yourself dishing out another few hundred bucks for those either right away, or in a few months time.

If it wasnt worth the current owner investing in getting it looked it -- even to tell you how much it would cost to fix -- then it shouldnt be worth your extra effort and costs to get it looked at.

If you havent seen this thing in working condition and can't verify that it even works, and/or what is causing the smoke... I wouldnt invest in it.

roccor
01-17-2008, 07:38 AM
Thank you for the advice. I am better off getting something that works, at least that way I know how much a will be spending. I am returning my 42" plasma to Easyhome (big mistake going there in the first place), and I will have to downgrade until my finances improve later this year. Thanks again, I was sold on the size of the TV and didn't think about the possible high costs for the repairs.