PDA

View Full Version : 2 year check up?

MichelleM
01-15-2008, 06:25 PM
I was just wondering if children are supposed to go for a 2 year check-up? If they are do they get any needles and what do they check for?

ab
01-15-2008, 07:01 PM
they do get a needle at age 2 then dont need anymore till they start school.(4-6)

MichelleM
01-15-2008, 07:08 PM
what is the needle for? what else do the check/look at?

sarahnb
01-15-2008, 08:58 PM
There's no two year needle. I'm looking at dd's immunization card right now and it's 12 months, 18 months and 4-6 yrs.

MichelleM
01-15-2008, 08:59 PM
so do they have to go for a 2 year check up? and what do they check?

Proud Mama
01-16-2008, 07:09 AM
I went yesterday with my daughter for her 18 months shots. I asked them if I needed to make an appointment for checkups and she said that they don't have to, as she is growing well and no apparent problems. I think they only want to see them if they have concerns after the 18 months checkup. It might also depend on the doctor but mine will not see her unless there is something wrong with her.

lilly-marie
01-16-2008, 07:16 AM
I'm with proud mama on that one! 18 months then at 4-6 as I was just to the doc's.

mattpage84
01-16-2008, 07:20 AM
id have to agree as well, cause its every three months up till a year then 18 months then there clear till they go to school, my daughter will be 16 months this month so she's getting due as well

magoosmomma
01-16-2008, 08:49 AM
As long as your child is caught up there is no needle at 2 years( I chose to delay certain vax's so for my son he had 1 at 2) as well as a checkup..

MichelleM
01-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Who is it that sets up the appointment that they have when they are about 3 or 3and a half to make sure they can hear and are ok for school?

magoosmomma
01-16-2008, 08:53 AM
That would be Public Health

Proud Mama
01-16-2008, 08:54 AM
I'm not sure. Maybe the parent needs to call the doctor to get the appointment set up. When I was growing up, everything was set through pre-school but time period to get the hearing test done might have changed. Mine was done when I was 5, as I still have the info in my school book that my parents kept for me.

babydoll101
01-16-2008, 08:58 AM
That would be Public Health

It is through Public Health. When I was in the hospital the nurse came in and told me about the program. It is for preschool age children and tests them to see how ready they are for school. They test hearing, speech, as well as many other tests. I thought it was a great idea.

karen
01-16-2008, 11:13 AM
It is also recommended that your child sees an optometrist and dentist at the age of 3 years.

patbez
01-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Remember to look into shots before getting them...since there is a lot of controversy surrounding them & autism. Just remember to stay informed.

Proud Mama
01-16-2008, 01:50 PM
Remember to look into shots before getting them...since there is a lot of controversy surrounding them & autism. Just remember to stay informed.

I saw the info about that but the only problem is if you plan to bring your kid to daycare after your maternity leave, then you have to have the immunization up-to-date. Most daycare demand it. My daycare want a copy of the immunization card.

babydoll101
01-16-2008, 02:32 PM
It is also manditory to have all immunizations up to date when they start kindergarten.

patbez
01-16-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm not sure how it works for daycare, but I know in school all you need to do is write a note stating you choose not to immunize your child & they legally can not turn your child away. I'm assuming that goes for Kindergarten as well, seeing as it's part of the public school system....

http://www.gnb.ca/0000/pol/e/706A.pdf

patbez
01-16-2008, 03:58 PM
I found this on a local Doula's website...her name is Amy Gow...in this she mentions that you also don't need to immunize for registered daycares:

My kids are not vaccinated. Emily stopped getting hers after her 1 year appointment. In a deadly mommy fog I had Zach's first dose of the Hepatitis B vaccine administerd when he was about 8 days old. That's it. We are just going to review the options as we go to decide if there is a valid case for anything in the future. Perhaps if I take them overseas some vaccines will help? I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

The first thing that most parents hear when they start talking about the possibility of not vaccinating their children is this: "Your child will not be allowed to attend school." That is NOT the case. Here in New Brunswick Canada, in lieu of vaccination records, parents may send a letter to the school indicating that they are choosing not to vaccinate their child for personal reasons, that they are willing to accept the so-called risks to their child of not vaccinating, and that they understand their child will be excluded from school should an outbreak occur. A similar letter is required for children who attend licensed daycare. That's it. I've never had health-care providers harass or bother me due to my choice not to vaccinate. Never, not in small, rural Plaster Rock, not in Fredericton, not in Saint John.

The second thing that most parents hear is of all the cases everyone knows about from years ago when such and such a kid died from a disease that could have been prevented through vaccination. Usually details are incomplete, memories vague. Kids today are still getting diseases their vaccines are supposed to protect them against. I recall a case a few years back where during a mumps breakout at a local school, who got the mumps? The vaccinated kids!!

There are some undeniable facts about vaccines. They are made with toxic preservatives. They often don't work. Our children have a much larger immunization schedule that we ourselves did as children. We have no long term studies to support the safety of vaccination. The HSV vaccine is killing young girls. Many children and adults have been injured and died through vaccination. Use of vaccines has been directly linked to autism spectrum disorders. They cost money that could be better used in preventative health care. Drug companies make billions off of vaccines.

Give your children a healthy start. Educate yourself. Eat well. Feed your kids well, first breastmilk and then cook as much as you can from scratch. Get fresh air. Ensure your whole family gets lots of sleep. You don't need to vaccinate, period, not routine immunization for your children or the flu shot for you.

Also, this link has some good information:

http://www.whale.to/v/phillips.html

Proud Mama
01-16-2008, 04:13 PM
My daycare is a licensed daycare and it is located in a school. They did require my card when my daughter first started there. I guess each place have their own policy.

MichelleM
01-16-2008, 05:35 PM
[quote=patbez;201904]I found this on a local Doula's website...her name is Amy Gow...in this she mentions that you also don't need to immunize for registered daycares:

My kids are not vaccinated. Emily stopped getting hers after her 1 year appointment. In a deadly mommy fog I had Zach's first dose of the Hepatitis B vaccine administerd when he was about 8 days old. That's it. We are just going to review the options as we go to decide if there is a valid case for anything in the future. Perhaps if I take them overseas some vaccines will help? I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

The first thing that most parents hear when they start talking about the possibility of not vaccinating their children is this: "Your child will not be allowed to attend school." That is NOT the case. Here in New Brunswick Canada, in lieu of vaccination records, parents may send a letter to the school indicating that they are choosing not to vaccinate their child for personal reasons, that they are willing to accept the so-called risks to their child of not vaccinating, and that they understand their child will be excluded from school should an outbreak occur. A similar letter is required for children who attend licensed daycare. That's it. I've never had health-care providers harass or bother me due to my choice not to vaccinate. Never, not in small, rural Plaster Rock, not in Fredericton, not in Saint John.

The second thing that most parents hear is of all the cases everyone knows about from years ago when such and such a kid died from a disease that could have been prevented through vaccination. Usually details are incomplete, memories vague. Kids today are still getting diseases their vaccines are supposed to protect them against. I recall a case a few years back where during a mumps breakout at a local school, who got the mumps? The vaccinated kids!!

There are some undeniable facts about vaccines. They are made with toxic preservatives. They often don't work. Our children have a much larger immunization schedule that we ourselves did as children. We have no long term studies to support the safety of vaccination. The HSV vaccine is killing young girls. Many children and adults have been injured and died through vaccination. Use of vaccines has been directly linked to autism spectrum disorders. They cost money that could be better used in preventative health care. Drug companies make billions off of vaccines.

Give your children a healthy start. Educate yourself. Eat well. Feed your kids well, first breastmilk and then cook as much as you can from scratch. Get fresh air. Ensure your whole family gets lots of sleep. You don't need to vaccinate, period, not routine immunization for your children or the flu shot for you.

I know that when they start school you are required to provide proof of immunization before they can go.

Intrepid
01-16-2008, 05:47 PM

I've read a bit about the risks of vaccines, but I think kids should still have them, for the greater good.

I see the choice as (1)"some kids get sick and maybe get autism, but the vast majority get protection from deadly diseases" vs. (2)"many kids get deadly diseases like small pox"... so I think choice #1 is much better.

Obviously, it's tough for the kids who end up with autism or any vaccine-caused problem. But it's still better for society as a whole to have people vaccinated.

I remember this article because it made excellent points about how there should be increased funding for vaccine-caused problems:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071101.wlpicard01/BNStory/specialScienceandHealth/home/"What the court said, in essence, is that people exposed to a potential harm while undergoing an intervention that is in the greater public good, particularly at the urging of the state, should be compensated by the state.It's hard to argue with that logic."

MichelleM
01-16-2008, 06:40 PM
I've read a bit about the risks of vaccines, but I think kids should still have them, for the greater good.

I see the choice as (1)"some kids get sick and maybe get autism, but the vast majority get protection from deadly diseases" vs. (2)"many kids get deadly diseases like small pox"... so I think choice #1 is much better.

Obviously, it's tough for the kids who end up with autism or any vaccine-caused problem. But it's still better for society as a whole to have people vaccinated.

I remember this article because it made excellent points about how there should be increased funding for vaccine-caused problems:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071101.wlpicard01/BNStory/specialScienceandHealth/home/"What the court said, in essence, is that people exposed to a potential harm while undergoing an intervention that is in the greater public good, particularly at the urging of the state, should be compensated by the state.It's hard to argue with that logic."

The newer studies have found that there is NO link between getting vaccinated and autism. That a child is born with it.
It was prob just a coincidence that autism is normally noticed between age one and two and that is arounf the time that children have vaccinations.

patbez
01-16-2008, 07:11 PM
MichelleM: If you read what was stated in the government link I provided, you will see that no, your kids do not need to be immunized nor does proof need to be provided that they are immunized before they start school. A parent can simply write a letter to the school stating they choose not to immunize their child. This is stated directly on a New Brunswick Department of Education page.

In general, many kids get diseases even if they have been vaccinated, just like a lot of people that have the flu shot still get the flu. Are the diseases they vaccinate against really any dangerous threat to children, or even adults for that matter, in this day & age?

There have been both studies linking vaccines to autism & studies showing no link. So it's really a personal call.

There def. should be increased funding for vaccine-caused problems...& until there are more studies, I'm choosing not to vaccinate my children. But it's def. a personal choice...if someone wants to vaccinate their child, it's not necessarily of concern to me...I just want them to be informed. There are some people that don't even know the risks, period.

But my children will not get vaccines & I will pull them from school if there is ever a serious disease outbreak.

Intrepid
01-16-2008, 07:33 PM
MichelleM: If you read what was stated in the government link I provided, you will see that no, your kids do not need to be immunized nor does proof need to be provided that they are immunized before they start school. A parent can simply write a letter to the school stating they choose not to immunize their child. This is stated directly on a New Brunswick Department of Education page.

In general, many kids get diseases even if they have been vaccinated, just like a lot of people that have the flu shot still get the flu. Are the diseases they vaccinate against really any dangerous threat to children, or even adults for that matter, in this day & age?

LOL, well they're not a big threat right now ONLY because 99% of kids get vaccinated. So of course if you don't vaccinate your kids, you probably won't get any problems.

But in a way, you're kind of freeloading* off other people by doing that. Basically, other kids getting vaccinated is protecting your kids from catching deadly diseases (because those diseases can't spread easily due to vaccinations). Other people bear the burden of the risks, while you still get all the benefits (of diseases having a hard time being spread)... although you have your own big risk of what happens if there is an outbreak.

But if only 70% of kids get vaccinated and 30% don't, then that's a major public health issue... one little outbreak of a disease could wipe out so many kids.

* - Obviously, you didn't force them to take on that burden, and you'd probably still make the same choice regardless of what % of people get vaccinated... but you still get benefits from it.

The problem with "communicable" diseases is the "communicable" part of it... for every additional kid who isn't vaccinated, they could spread it to five, ten, fifty, or more other kids if there is ever an outbreak.

Despite that, I still think a person should have the right not to get their kid vaccinated. But I feel they would be ignoring a civic duty for the greater good.

Intrepid
01-16-2008, 07:36 PM
I just thought of a good analogy (I think :p)... if you have a dirty floor, and you put Mr. Clean on 99% of it, the germs can't really get established and spread.

But if the cleaner is only put on 70% of it, and it doesn't cover everything (think of holes like swiss cheese)... then germs will have an easier time getting established & spreading, and they could even take over the part that has Mr. Clean on it.

I see diseases (germs) and vaccines (Mr. Clean) the same way...

Sucks that Mr. Clean can sometimes cause bad reactions... but overall, the benefits outweigh the costs.

MichelleM
01-16-2008, 07:40 PM

There have been both studies linking vaccines to autism & studies showing no link. So it's really a personal call.

There def. should be increased funding for vaccine-caused problems...& until there are more studies, I'm choosing not to vaccinate my children. But it's def. a personal choice...if someone wants to vaccinate their child, it's not necessarily of concern to me...I just want them to be informed. There are some people that don't even know the risks, period.

But my children will not get vaccines & I will pull them from school if there is ever a serious disease outbreak.

I guess they just make it up when they say that you are required to show proof before they start school.
Even if you do have they right to say no....these vaccines are the reason soooooo many diseases that used to kill or harm children rarely exist. Some diseases have started to return now.

sarahnb
01-16-2008, 09:19 PM
You DO have the right to say no BUT they are not going to tell you that. Obviously it's in the school's and public's best interest to have everyone vaccinated but by legally requiring it, they would then be denying some children an education. I am certain there are some instances that a child cannot have a specific vaccine. They have to make exceptions. It's easier if it looks like ther aren't exceptions.

from District 8 website:
Proof of immunization can be shown using:

1. any document that the applicant supplies that he or she reports to be proof of immunization. Public Health will be responsible for any interpretation, translation or confirmation of the contents of this document. Verification of Immunization must be dated and signed by a doctor or nurse with each needle received listed.

Or

2. A Proof of Immunization Requirement or Exemption for School Entry form with one of the three sections completed:

A signed statement from a physician or Public Health Nurse verifying the immunizations the student has received,
A medical exemption signed by a physician, or
A signed statement by the parent making a Declaration of Objection to Immunization

http://www.gnb.ca/0000/pol/e/706AB.pdf

patbez
01-16-2008, 10:33 PM
MichelleM: As sarahnb just posted & like I pointed out TWICE, a signed statement from a parent making an objection to immunization is acceptable.

Intrepid: But then you are also saying that one child's life is more important than another's....if I feel my child is possibly going to be harmed by being vaccinated & you feel yours could be harmed because my child is not vaccinated....then who's in the right?

If someone is so for vaccinations [& diseases could be spread by adults or people from other countries that don't have vaccines] & their child has been vaccinated [meaning they cannot catch the disease] then why is there a problem that my child is not vaccinated? My child would obviously then not pose a risk to their child.

I don't think I'm freeloading at all. My opinion is no child should be vaccinated. You say other children being vaccinated will be protecting my child from getting a disease? You should read vaccination myth #3 in this link: http://www.whale.to/v/phillips.html

Also as far as one little instance of disease wiping out so many kids...vaccination myth #5 at the same link could have some useful info. We live in a world of modern medicine...it's not all about popping pills or getting shots any more. There are alternative & better ways to fight the diseases that our kids are apparently so at risk of getting. Things that weren't as prevalent when vaccines were first being introduced.

As for Mr. Clean, hehe, I don't use the stuff. Using harsh cleaners to kill bacteria & germs can actually cause the bacteria to become immune to the cleaner over time & eventually cleaners & such are not going to work. There have been many reports that using hand sanitizer & washing your hands TOO much will do the same thing...I use natural products like vinegar :)

I believe it's the same with vaccines. Over time we're going to become immune to them & then the there will be no point any more. Then people will have to turn to alternative methods anyway to safeguard themselves against these so called "deadly diseases".

I guess it comes down to the information you're looking at & if you believe it or not. I have read a lot of information, by a lot of reputable organizations, doctors etc...& more & more doctors & professionals are taking a stance against vaccines. & of course there is material & information to the contrary.

While there are people that believe the world is better off since vaccines have been created, there are certainly lots of people like myself that think vaccines are to the detriment of our children.

babydoll101
01-17-2008, 08:35 AM
My daughter has a blood disorder that effects her platelets. When her platelet count was down she wasn't allowed to have a vaccinations. They would effect her count and bring it down. If her platelet count is low she could bleed without stoping. Her count has now stableized (thank goodness) so she is able to get them. The last one she had was her 6 months and she is 2 1/2 so it is a long process for her to get them all. Our doctor says getting them is for the best espicially with the mumps going around now and with the world lately who knows what else will start. Believe me it is better to get the shot then for them to get the actuall illness.

james1979
01-25-2008, 11:54 PM
"MichelleM"

About the 3 1/2 year check up/evaluation clinic you will get a letter in the mail from the Department of Health & Wellness when your child reaches 3 1/2.
My daughter is 3 1/2 now & I just got a letter in the mail telling me about it and for me to make an appointment for her if I'd like.

The letter says...."The nurses assess the child's growth & development, vision, hearing, & speech. Information on nutrition, dental health, safety and behaviour will also be provided."

If your child is 3 1/2 and you haven't received a letter in the mail you can always call the Public Health Office nearest you.
It says you need to bring your child's Medicare number & record of immunizations. (that's in Bold)

I called to make my daughters appointment the other day and they can't get her in till April! So she'll be close to 4 by then (her birthday is in July) but that's ok as long as she gets in. I don't think she has any problems but I would like to get hearing & eyes checked, as she's never had them checked before! She's already been to the dentist and did awesome!!

Hope the info helps for anyone who was wondering about it!

:biggrin::biggrin:

Misty589
01-26-2008, 10:16 AM
places (daycare, school, doctors, public health) can try to make you believe that you HAVE to have vax records, but that doesn't change the canadian charter of rights and freedoms.

here is a quote from :http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/ccdr-rmtc/97vol23/23s4/23s4b_e.html

Unlike some countries, immunization is not mandatory in Canada; it cannot be made mandatory because of the Canadian Constitution.

I think that should clear up the debate over weather or not it is manditory. Of course the decision to vax or not is very personal one that each family has to make.

sanstu
01-26-2008, 10:29 AM
places (daycare, school, doctors, public health) can try to make you believe that you HAVE to have vax records, but that doesn't change the canadian charter of rights and freedoms.

here is a quote from :http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/ccdr-rmtc/97vol23/23s4/23s4b_e.html

Unlike some countries, immunization is not mandatory in Canada; it cannot be made mandatory because of the Canadian Constitution.

I think that should clear up the debate over weather or not it is manditory. Of course the decision to vax or not is very personal one that each family has to make.

Finally someone took the time to research this subject!! It is a very personal choice as to vax ones children, however I don't understand why a parent would choose not to vax, potentially exposing their child to very serious complications of these childhood illnessess. Brain damage, deafness and blindness are just a few of the complications of these childhood illnessess. Since these illnessess have been effectively controlled by vaxing ,the potential complications have been forgotten. Please be informed (both pro's and con's) when making a decision that could affect your child's future.

Misty589
01-26-2008, 11:51 AM
eta
http://www.vran.org/

this is the canadian vaccination risk awareness network website if you want to look at it. Just to give you the other point of view, like i said totally personal we aren't non-vax but will be delaying some

patbez
01-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Thank you Misty589!

I haven't seen this particular site, but have looked at many other very similar sites...which have only reaffirmed the decision my husband & I have made :)

There's serious risk in both vaccinating & not vaccinating. It's up to every parent to choose which route they'd like to go. & I'm glad that here in Canada we have the right to do so.