PDA

View Full Version : Lets share Health Tips

Oceanpearl624
01-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Today I received from TSC a product I ordered called "DR_HO'S Ab Trimmer.
Its a Full Detoxification Program using herbal pills, powder and tea's.
I found the instruction guide to have some very helpful facts in it that I wanted to share with you all.

Drink 6 - 8 glasses of room temperature water (8oz) every day.
Eat 2 to 3 servings of slightly cooked, green leafy vegetables everyday, the greener and leafier the vegetable, the better for your digestive system. This is a must for a healthy digestive system.
Green leafy vegetable should make up at least 60% of your total meal.
Slightly cooked kills bacteria but remains nutrients.
Eat rice or pasta instead of bread as a staple food.
Use fish and skinless chicken as primary sources of meat;occasionally, you may use very lean pork or beef as secondary sources.
Consume a minimum of 2 to 3 servings of fresh fruit a day. Eat a variety of different fruits and vegetables.
Eat only fresh foods not canned, frozen or preserved foods.
Reduce or eliminate dairy products such as milk and cheese products. Most adults cannot digest diary products.
Limited yourself to one cup of coffee, tea or soft drinks per day. Try drinking room temperature water and fresh fruit juices instead.
Try to cut out all soft drinks and ICE cold water. Soft drinks are full of sugar and chemicals. Cold fluids are bad for digestion.
Try to avoid packaged foods. Read package food labels to avoid any artificial colorings and other additives.
Do not use a microwave to heat, cook food, microwave radiation have been shown to eliminate valuable nutrients in food cooked.
Eat at the same time each day, chew well; eat slowly and enjoy your food.
Do not skip any meals; if you skip a meal, it'll lower your metabolism and make you snack on junk food.
Try to have a bowel movement at the same time everyday. It'll train your system to work like a clock.
Plan ahead; recognize times or events which beckons you to snack, such as a hard day at work or your favorite TV show. Plan non-food related activities such as taking a long bath or reading a good book.
Remember, a healthy digestive system is the key to staying healthy.

The reason for not drinking cold fluids with meals is because it will cause any fats in the foods to harden and collect on your intestine walls and take longer to pass through your body. Just think about what happens to grease as it gets cold..yuk..now think about those french fries at McD etc and cold pop.

Anyway I hope you found this interesting and can use all or some of these tips to stay healthy in the New Year.

If you have Diet Tips or information we can benefit from Please Share Them With The Rest Of Us ISaintjohners.

Cheers

Atchbe
01-28-2008, 06:49 AM
Thank you for sharing :) as far as the cold drinks go I do drink ice cold water and other beverages. By the time an ice cold drink gets to your stomach it is warm and heats up with the digestion process. By the time everything mixes in the stomach they are the same temperature. I couldn't imagine drinking room temperature water or ice tea, juices. :)

I do aerobic exercise as this changes the body on a biochemical level, altering the deeply ingrained way the obese handle carbohydrates and fat.

For diet I too stay away from canned foods, processed foods. As far as cooking methods I try to steam every thing, I never boil any foods except rice or pasta as this the best way of making them dull and lifeless with little nutrient content. I don't fry foodsas they are potentially damaging, frying foods creates abundant free radicals. Free radicals are atoms that damage teh body - they are involved in teh initation of cancer, in heart disease and premature ageing. Microwaving causes teh water molecules in the food to move. This movement creates the heat which cooks food. The micowaves bounce off the oven walls and into the food. Nutrient levels of vegetables remain reasonably high after microwaving, probably due to the short cooking time - which is the main advantage of this cooking method. So, I will microwave some foods as it little nutrients are lost in this method of cooking. I will make stews and soups as you are eating the liquid they are cooked in, stewing and boiling etc cause the nutrients to leak out into the water it's being cooked in. I will roast foods I make sure the oven is not too hot and never allow any meats to burn as they become potentially carcinogenic. I rarely barbecue and when I do I take extra precautions.

I am trying to replace coffee with green tea or roobilus teas.
I eat moderate amounts of raw citrus and subacid fruits. I try to avoid sweet fruits such as grapes (not only sweet but they have the heaviest load of pesticides, that along with strawberries which is why I look for certified organic for my fruits and vegetables).. I avoid dried fruits and I'm very careful when it comes to fruit juices as most fruit juices are also "refined" foods as they are devoid of the pulp and roughage.

I try to eat as many raw vegetables as possible and raw salads once or twice a day. For protein I eat beans, nuts and seeds (raw-certified organic), fish such as haddock and wild alaskan salmon (I steer clear of farmed salmon which atlantic salmon is and most pacific salmon - sockeye salmon cannot be farmed so this is safe as well). I eat some chicken and turkey, low fat yogurt (organic goats yogurt if possible), poached eggs. I make sure my meats such as chicken, eggs are certified organic or free range as most meats and fish (farm fish) have been raised with the use of hormones which can trigger weight gain.

I avoid refined carbohydrates this includes sugar, alcohol, white four and its products (bread, pastry, macaroni etc) quick oats, most pacakaged cereals and any other processed starch. I try to eat only conservatively cooked, unrefined brown rice, millet, barley, rye, buckwheat, bulgur, corn and other whole grains. These "should" be in their natural state.

For fats I try to use cold pressed unsaturated oils such as olive oil.

I drink lots of water (ice cold thank you very much :)) and I try to drink lots of green tea, sometimes white tea or roobilus.

Healthy eating is an entire lifestyle change and it takes a bit of study as well. I also try to avoid cows milk and cows cheese as well. Goats milk is much better for us and I try to eat more tofu and soy milks as well.

Atchbe
01-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Just to add, I add ground organic flaxseeds to my yogurt as well as berries specifically blackberries, blueberries and raspberries. It's quite yummy :p

sanstu
01-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Just to add, I add ground organic flaxseeds to my yogurt as well as berries specifically blackberries, blueberries and raspberries. It's quite yummy :p

I throw yougurt, OJ, and berries into blender for a great breakfast drink for my kids.(of course all organic) We try to eat all organic fruits and veg, only non medicated chicken(due to allergies) and purchase most meat from a local butcher, that can tell me where the meat comes from. No food coloring or dyes in any products(again due to allergies). It's important to me that my family eat fresh, healthy foods! My kids love making their own juice(in a juicer) and the combinations are endless.

Atchbe
01-29-2008, 06:12 AM
Sanstu, how wonderful that you are able to be such a wonderful role model for your children and making healthy eating fun!!!!

Allowing your children to make their own juice is a wonderful way to make healthy eating fun and exciting. Now I want a juicer :)

I "sometimes" make myself a tofu smoothie I take the soft tofu, organic yogurt, vanilla soy milk and feild berries and throw in other things as well such as ground flax seeds and wheat germ.