PDA

View Full Version : ONE Change - Crime Info

Tammy C
01-16-2007, 12:11 PM
ONE Change is proud to share our latest crime statistics from the Old North End of Saint John.

Calls to the Saint John Police Force

May 1 - September 30

2003 - 1166 Calls

2004 - 990 Calls

2005 - 907 Calls

2006 - 816 Calls

Over the past three summers, we have seen a drop in calls to service by the Saint John Police Force of 30%!

We are proud of this accomplishment by the residents and other stakeholders of the Old North End, there were still over 800 calls to service for the Saint John police force in only 5 months last year.

In our continued efforts to reduce crime, we would like to invite anyone interested in learning about the criminal legal system in Saint John to join us on January 24th, 6:30 PM, at the Main Street Baptist Church for a lesson on how the police and court system works to hold criminals accountable.

For more information on our improving crime statistics, the meeting about how the system handles crime, or ONE Change Inc., please feel free to contact me.

Gary Sullivan
President, ONE Change Inc.
Phone: 506-658-6310

The_Dave
01-22-2007, 11:35 PM
Gee thanks Tammy, can you do something about the crack house 2 lots over that has been there for over 6 months now directly across from Lorne school. Yeah way to go. I bet the kids love seeing that!!!!!!!!!!!

Misty589
01-23-2007, 03:37 PM
i'm pretty sure she's not responsible for the crack house

The_Dave
01-23-2007, 04:48 PM
No one said she is, but her organization sure knows that there is a crack house operating directly accross from the school and one down the street. Why doesn't One Change get involved and help to eliminate it. You should see the people going in there. Taxi drivers dropping people off and the taxi drivers staying there for hours themselves, city workers in the city vehicles, all kinds of local business vehicles with their company logos on the side. How could they not know. What if something happens to one of the hundreds of kids that are in the "immediate" area every day? These places need to be shut down!!

michaelsmom
01-24-2007, 06:02 AM
Of course these places need to be shut down, but really what would be the point of them busting in and arresting everyone without enough evidence that will stand up in court so they can all just go back out on the street and be even bigger and tougher cause they got away with it. The North End is slowly but surely becoming a better neighborhood, but it can't all be done in one day. How about looking at the glass half full for once Dave?

The_Dave
01-24-2007, 05:39 PM
All my glasses are half full, but this is directly across from a school, anyone with half a mind knows what is eventually going to happen, and it will come at a cost to one of the kids going to that school. Evidence or not, some of these places need to be shut down before others. This one is in a very critical area where children should be and feel safe.

Rickster
01-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Your glass is obviously 'not' half full because if you knew anything about these people then you would know that "most" of them have families themselves and or younger siblings also. I myself have lived among these people(myself raising two children) and never ever worried about my kids. The LAST thing these 'people' want is to get us parents going after them. Your main concern should be your property and belongings as this is where the true fear should lie. Car break-ins,House and garage break-ins,etc.Too many people try to raise the paranoid level by trying to install the fear for their children but in reality the only fear for your kids should lie in watching your 'teen-agers' and their questionable freinds because that is the age when the peer pressure is the greatest and the potential involvement with drugs is at hand. Sure they (crack-houses) should be shut down but not out of fear of our children as previously stated but because of the crime rate in the area as afore mentioned. Proper focus gets proper results !!-Rick(North-ender most of my life).

Rickster
01-24-2007, 07:19 PM
P.S. Tammy ; This was printed in the paper so you should quote such as it looks like you personally are giving them !! Credit to where credit is due !! - Rick.

The_Dave
01-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Sorry Rickster any real parents first concern is their children, and by you trivializing the situation doesn't help. Sure these people will steal and sell anything they get their hands on, just as they would not think twice about getting some preteen or teenage girl hooked on the stuff to get them working for them to make them money to buy them more stuff. Rickster that is how it works. So you see Rickster my glass is half full, I know what the reality is about in this city, this stuff happens every day. You say you know these people, but you really don't. They have dark secrets that you would never be told because it would sicken you. Their only concern is their next rock, no matter how they get it.

orange
01-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Gee thanks Tammy, can you do something about the crack house 2 lots over that has been there for over 6 months now directly across from Lorne school. Yeah way to go. I bet the kids love seeing that!!!!!!!!!!!

What I find hilarious about your comments Dave, is that here you are criticizing a volunteer organization that's doing SOMETHING good -- but what exactly are YOU doing to help the problem?

At least they're doing something -- if you are truly concerned, why don't you go join The ONE Change and help do some of the work.

Sarcastically criticizing Tammy and the other volunteers from The ONE Change is really just wrong.

Rickster
01-24-2007, 10:33 PM
well,well Dave ;to begin with I do know these people as a lot of them are ex-friends and I say ex because once one of our buddies get into this scene they can no longer be trusted in our households unless you hide everything of value or nail it down. Secondly these so'called crack houses rarely sell 'crack' but earn thier biggest profit by selling prescription drugs such as diluadids,perksets,etc. Some grass and Hash but the majority is pills !!No one is really aware of just how big a problem these drugs are because when these 'junkies' go to court for any crime they usually say they were on crack or Heroin to gain the courts sympathy and therefore not really letting the public know the seriouness of these drugs.These drugs have a higher profit margin and easier to attain.An example of this is a local story in the paper involving these drugs and arson. So get some facts straight before you go telling others what you really don't know but think you do ! Dark secrets..that's a laugh, like I said, I KNOW most of these people in the area your talking about and if you decide to come out from behind that curtain you peeking through you may learn some actual facts yourself ! Get involved in the community and DO SOMETHING instead of ASSUMING you know whats going on !!-Richard O'Leary..82 Bridge Street ..14+years..Northender for most of my life (if you know that name then you know that I know what I'm talking about) !!

MistyMoon
01-25-2007, 12:53 AM
Excuse me...but are you volunteering any of your time to this organization? You seem to understand what the problem is...im sure one change could use your help. You cant just complain about the problem you actually have to get into action.

Keep up the good work One Change!!! We’re proud!

The_Dave
01-25-2007, 07:06 AM
Sorry Rickster, never heard of you and I know everyone. I Know how things work in their world, trust my friend. I stand by my posts. I think you are not seeing the forest for the trees.

Cherry Pop
01-25-2007, 07:57 AM
Your glass is obviously 'not' half full because if you knew anything about these people then you would know that "most" of them have families themselves and or younger siblings also. I myself have lived among these people(myself raising two children) and never ever worried about my kids. The LAST thing these 'people' want is to get us parents going after them. Your main concern should be your property and belongings as this is where the true fear should lie. Car break-ins,House and garage break-ins,etc.Too many people try to raise the paranoid level by trying to install the fear for their children but in reality the only fear for your kids should lie in watching your 'teen-agers' and their questionable freinds because that is the age when the peer pressure is the greatest and the potential involvement with drugs is at hand. Sure they (crack-houses) should be shut down but not out of fear of our children as previously stated but because of the crime rate in the area as afore mentioned. Proper focus gets proper results !!-Rick(North-ender most of my life).

I don't agree with you at all! We have a drug house on my street and one drug dealer has come out waving a gun around a few times. Sorry but waving a gun around does put my child in danger. Of course he was arrested each time but returned home later those nights. This dude has since been kicked out by the landlord, thank goodness but there are still some other dealers living in that building. How long will it be before they do the same thing?!

Rickster
01-25-2007, 08:46 AM
Waving a gun around, yea ,I agree with you but that has happened in various neighborhoods in our City and 'most' of the times it was alcohol involved and rarely drugs.Not to downplay the concerns but I was more or less educating some individuals that it's not 'crack' involved but your everyday prescription drugs. There should be tighter guidlines involving these as well because they (the system) seem to ignore this area of drug abuse !! When was the last time anyone read that 'crack' was found in the drug raids in our City ?? It's always diluadids,oxycottons,perkasets, small amounts of coke etc. As far as 'Danger' to the children, well everyday they leave the house they are in danger and not just these junkies. Drunk drivers are of a justifieable major concern also. And as far as making a ludicrest statement like "I know everyone" Dave well ,no one knows everyone !!! Had my own Trucking business for years in that area and you don't know me so...??? Anyway yes there is real concern for these places(drug houses) but not JUST for our childrens safety but for crimes these places perpetuate.Like I also mention, I raised two children in the North area and was never really concerned for their safety as much as I was concerned for locking my car up or making sure I had a yard light or watching my neighbors yards at night.As far as not seeing the forest for the trees...well,I lived in the Forest !! As we all do ! -Rick.

ksbeckaa
01-25-2007, 09:47 AM
I am so glad that I mpoved out of the OLd North End, after 10 years caring for my grandmother. The word of the day in that area is "fear". You are afraid some one is going to break into your home, burn it down when you are not home. You are afraid that your kids will get hurt, afraid that your pet will get hurt. Afraid to call the police, afraid to do nothing. Until the drug dealers are cleaned out of the area, nothing will really change. Its great that some of the youth are finding better things to do, but I maintain its not the kids that cause the majority of the problems. Get rid of the the drugs and the slum landlords and then everyone can work together to start rebuilding the north end to make it a place people want to live, not have to live.

Tig
01-25-2007, 10:52 AM
I agree with Dave , the new Police station is a couple blocks away . And they are as bold as to have a crack house. Also , concerned about the safety of the children . My son goes there , and this is the first I've heard of this crack house, being so near to the school. Guns , weapons ect. And our children are not stupid , grades 6,7,8, they know. So unlike the rest of you , just typing and venting about it in your spare time ,do something. It;s our city , they are all our children. Take back your streets. Also, Rick I know people on crack and do not care to speak to them or have them in my home ever, can't be trusted, steal the eyes out of your head for 20.00 to get a rock. Even sell themselves. There mind is gone in time, sorry I don't need to take a chance and have this crack house in my hood. Waiting for a horrible thing to happen , I'm speaking for the children. I"M TAKING ACTION < WHY DON"T YOU !!!!!! YOU DON"T REALIZE THE POWER YOU HAVE TO MAKE CHANGES!!! CALL MY CELL 639 5500 TOGETHER WE CAN TAKE BACK OUR NEIGHBORHOOD FOR US AND OUR KIDS>

Cherry Pop
01-25-2007, 12:48 PM
I should point out that I don't live in the north end. This drug house and gun situation happened in another part of the city where I live! I was just pointing out that children are not safe around drug houses.

jdcb
01-25-2007, 01:11 PM
They have dark secrets that you would never be told because it would sicken you.

So, how would you know this? I mean, if it's secret and all...

Mandi
01-25-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm more worried about them selling someone else then their selves to get their fix. Once you're gone, there's no really coming back without strict rehab. People who abuse drugs scare me, and like it or not 'crack houses' do attract these people. It doesn't matter how nice the actual dealer is, they are unwittingly endangering those around them.

girdy
01-25-2007, 03:04 PM
First of all - ONE Change - congratulations, keep up the good work, it seems you're making a difference in your neighborhood.

I'm not sure it's possible to make a broad difference in changing crime without meaningful sentencing for drug dealers. Getting a crack house closed without the scum going to jail, means they're going to someone elses neighborhood to set it up again. Seems a stretch to think that a drug dealer is going to go work at a legimitate job just because a landlord manages to toss them out of a building. I hope the Federal Conservatives take the sentencing thing to new levels so we can incarcerate them for a long, long, time.

In the meantime when there are crack houses in your area, for sure advise your kids about it, but help the police in documenting the events - car license plates, people going in and out, whatever might help convict them. Because having them move to someone else's neighborhood isn't the end goal, it's to get them behind bars.

By the way for those following the Heating Rebate thread - given that all the drug income is un-reported, do you suppose the crack house is getting sent $100 by the govenment to help keep their heating costs in check? Wouldn't that be brutal...

eagallant
01-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Well, I'm a good old south ender moved north 7 years ago. As a parent, I do have concerns about the drugs in the city (not just the north end), so it is my responsibility as a parent to educate my children on the "dark side" of life. This is sex, drugs, violence, peer pressure, etc.
With respect to the fear mongering in the posts - I'm not afraid. I have wonderful neigbors and my kids have great friends. The school do a great job in protecting our kids. My biggest beef is a particular slum landlord - it's from his properties that we see all the trouble.
The community center is amazing & my son loves going there. I wouldn't let him go alone until I spent a couple months going to sit and watch how it was run. The staff are great and deserve a pat on the back. They give the kids alot of time and effort. Good job!
The stat's Tammy quoted concerned me in that the numbers are going down for the crimes being reported. I wonder if people just don't bother because we know there's going to be little effect or is it really that crime is down? I don't see any difference at all in the community.
I disagree with the comments that ONE Change can clean up the drug houses. The are simply a small group of residents engulfed in running their group. They do not have the skills, knowledge or tools to act as a police force (and rightfully so - they aren't police). Did the gentlemen actually expect the ONE Change people to run in a drug house and say bad boys, you stop this right now! Come on. If he knows what the rest of us don't, the call the police or crime stoppers. But don't take a group of local residents and blame them for a drug house. That doesn't make sense at all. As I understand ONE Change, they are a group of people that want to instill pride in the community. If your concerns for your children's safety is so great - call the chief of police directly. Al is a wonderful man and will gladly listen to your concerns.
Those are just my 2 cents worth.
ps - if you're going to call for the closure of a drug house - likely not a good idea to list you name & address.

linder9
01-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Tammie you and the other members of ONE CHANGE should be congratulated not put down..You are not the police but are parents who want more for your children then just fear....I understand Daves thoughts but, as a parent we need to show our children that standing together and fighting makes a difference. If we as a community need to band together and be strong for our children, so they can see that we care not just for them but the community that we are living in. insted of putting down the people who are trying to make a change let's band together and make a change...let the government worry about the laws(we have no choice) and, we can worry about making our neighborhood a respectful, happy place to live...To live in fear is not living remember that north end...

Rickster
01-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Eagallant ; man...Do you ever have a understanding of how things go , unlike certain individuals do,if you read my past post, and I lived among them, people don't understand the 'respect'you show amongst each other as these people(drug dealers) know that they are not welcome and do the best they can to be unseen & unheard and and because of that, the last thing they want is a "children issue", Like I also mentioned ,if you want to help shut them down, then write the 'Medical Board' and get some tighter restrictions on prescription drugs as these are the more serious drugs on the street today !! The justice system isn't taking this issue seriously cause they don't live in our neighborhoods !! I mean it has to be pretty serious when Doctors become involved in trafficking !!! -Rick.

eagallant
01-29-2007, 04:32 PM
I mean it has to be pretty serious when Doctors become involved in trafficking !!! -Rick.

Serious or lucrative? :confused:

Rickster
01-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Well think about it eagallant : That was only one that got caught cause she took on a 'stupid' partner; how many more are out there because of the excellent return or kick-back. I happen to know of a Dentist out in that ' mini-mall' in 'Quispam' that gives scripts out for dilaudids for simple dentist aches and at a return of $2500.00 for 60 -25mg. pills that only cost the patient about $40.00 or more then you can see why the prescription drugs are such a problem on our streets. I know people that had these prescribed for back pains and such but are willing to put up with the pain after they sell their prescription on the street for about $ 200.00 or more to make their ends meet. the heck with the pain for that kind of money !?! This is why there are so many 'Pills' avaiable on the street and the cause of the increased Crime in areas where these people live. I'm banging my head trying to make decent ,niave,folks understand this, as they all seem to be able to deal with a drug problem on the streets if it involves not so easy to get drugs,...Well...wake up people. the problem is as close as your medicine cabinet !!!-Jeeeeeeze...??-Rick.

TrueLine
01-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Well said linder9! .... I'm also a long time North Ender. Teaching the kids to have pride in the 'hood, pride in themselves and their families will develop a community spirit. The Group "One Change" is a good start, there are some distict issues they can focus on. In my opinion, the greatest voice would come from the homeowners. As a group of noisey taxpayers, you're libel to get more attention in City Hall. We are all paying killer taxes here. You have a right to demand service for the money. As a group you will have a much louder voice, and, with One Change also working on issues the North End will be front and center with the Police and the Mayors office.
I know there are alot of North properties that are owned by people who live elsewhere, but once you have a voice, I think legitimate owners will see the benefit of owning a building in a better neighbourhood. And as property taxes rise, the city may be more willing to act on the slumlords
and delinquent owners.

Rickster
01-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Trueline you said a lot but nothing in respect to this string Why isn't anyone addressing the prescription-drug issue...Are you all DEAF,crap, That's a PROBLEM !! Don't ya all see why this is becoming a problem..nobody is adressing it !!~ jjjjeeeeeesueeess everyone is complaining and no-one is doing any thing !!! Lot of computer advocates but apparently no real concern cause otherwise you would spending some time getting hold of 'People 'responsible' for this issue !?-Rick.I did what I could by actually walking in a couple of them(drug- houses) with a handgun, I borrowed ,in my belt , to make a point as to exactly what "I" was concerned about. But , then thats me !! Like I said , I grew up amongst it all!!- Rick.

linder9
01-30-2007, 02:57 PM
I WILL not break the law rickster to stop crime in my neighborhood(in case you didn't know i believe in the law and wish we could have stiffer penaltys) going to crack houses with a hand gun creates more violence, and that creates more crime. the law will deal with the doctors but, they have laws to follow also. People HAVE to believe in themselves. they have to want to control what happens around them. Banding together gives a stronger voice for the community, a will for those to get off the drugs (that would mean no drug dealers if there are no addicts), and a safe community for us to live.

eagallant
01-30-2007, 05:51 PM
I've think I've had enough of this chat system with Rickster on it. He blasts The_Dave in another tread. Blasts Trueline for voice comments in this tread for not keeping in line with the tread content but he was one of the ones that took the tread off base. This tread was started with Tammy passing on crime stats for One Change. The-Dave made comments about a crack house and set Rickster off on a tangent about drugs. Maybe Dave & Rick should send each other their own email hate mail and leave their attitudes at home.

Trueline comments were perfectly in line with the tread and very good comments. Rickster's rude and inappropriate comments are totally unnecessary.

Rickster why not excuse yourself from the conversations if you cannot behave civilly without putting people down with your "Are you all DEAF,crap, That's a PROBLEM".