PDA

View Full Version : Owing Money

lovebug
01-13-2008, 10:17 AM
I need help i have 2 friends i lemt 1 20$ and the other i have a cell phone with i owe money on the phone and i made a payment last week i gave her the confurmation number and everything.....I still owe a little bit more it will be paid in like 2 weeks i need to get my next pay first....she had gone ahead and told the person who owes me money that she wants it and i'm not to see it i've advised the person who owes me the money that i need the money and the other person can but out it's my money and I'm going to get it.....I need help as to what to do if I do not see my money I've only seen 1 cell phone bill and i've been paying the bill without questions....The only reason she is doing this is because we got into a huge fight and i'm returning the phone on Monday

My question is is she right in what she is doing? Do i have a right to see my money?

icedragon
01-13-2008, 10:58 AM
thats why I don't lend money or have things in someone elses name.

lovebug
01-13-2008, 11:11 AM
i didn't want it she decided it was a christmas gift

je12122
01-13-2008, 12:20 PM
I don't really know what I think of that. In one way I agree with your friend asking for the money but in another way I don't. If you owe someone money then yes, technically you should pay your debts first and that money you get should go from one friend to the other. But I do agree that by her telling the other friend to give you the money she owes you, was in a way implying she doesn't think she'll get the money you owe her anytime soon. I don't think she should have told the friend that, as that has nothing to do with her, but she is right in the sense that, yes, that money should go to her when you get it.

puppyluv
01-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Your friend you leant the money owes YOU. Not the other person. In my opinion, she must give YOU the money or she will still owe YOU. Her responsibilities are to YOU not the other person.

lovebug
01-13-2008, 01:03 PM
I don't really know what I think of that. In one way I agree with your friend asking for the money but in another way I don't. If you owe someone money then yes, technically you should pay your debts first and that money you get should go from one friend to the other. But I do agree that by her telling the other friend to give you the money she owes you, was in a way implying she doesn't think she'll get the money you owe her anytime soon. I don't think she should have told the friend that, as that has nothing to do with her, but she is right in the sense that, yes, that money should go to her when you get it.
My bills with her are paid up i put more money than what i am supposed to because i don't want to fall behind she is now telling me i owe 106 and i'm waiting to see a bill before i pay it she is a student who blew her student loan on movies so i think she just needs the money when i call rogers i'm not a authorised user to check the ammount on that bill

lovebug
01-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Your friend you leant the money owes YOU. Not the other person. In my opinion, she must give YOU the money or she will still owe YOU. Her responsibilities are to YOU not the other person.
Thats what i thought

Flaxie
01-14-2008, 07:38 AM
You need to confront your friend regarding this issue. You can not discuss a debt owed to you with anyone. It is considered debt paid in full. I had this happen when I left for Ont. when I was in my teens. I had an outstanding pager bill. NBtel called my brother and asked how to reach me (which is fine) but then they went on to explain to him that I had an outstanding debt of $70 with them and that I needed to pay it. When he called me I contacted NBTel and explained to them that I knew my rights and they ate the debt because it is against the privacy act to discuss debts owed with an outside party.

Now I am NOT suggesting you don't pay off your debt with your friend, but it is important your friend understand that they are in no way able to discuss your bill with anyone not involved.

christine chittick
01-14-2008, 07:59 AM
In your first post, you stated that you still owed some on the bill, and in a later post you stated it was paid up and you put more than what was supposed to on the bill... Your friend now states you owe 106.00 on the bill. I don't understand.

The friend that owes you the 20.00, should give you the money, not to anyone else. If you decide to give it to your friend once you receive it, then that's fine. But if it were me, and the friend that owed me money went and gave it to my other friend without my authorization, she would still owe me the money as she did not pay ME back the money.

You stated the phone was a Christmas gift. If you knew at that time you couldn't afford to have the cell phone or didn't want the cellphone, you should have declined the cellphone gift, and politely state that you could not afford it to your friend or couldn't accept it for whatever reason. I am sure he/she would have understood. By activating the phone instead of giving it back, it showed that you wanted the phone. If you truly didn't want it, why would you activate it, or keep it?

I do not understand why someone would go and get something put in their name for someone as a gift in the first place. That is just not a very smart thing to do. That can result in them being held fully accountable on any money owed to the provider they are using, not to mention if the friend they gave it to defaulted a large sum of money - it would create waves in the relationship, possibly ruining it. I am not saying you are the type of person to do that, so please don't take it that way...I was just stating that in general, not directed to you or anyone else.

Where you kept the phone, the bill for the cellphone should be given to you, and you pay what is owed. Why would you pay on something unknowing what you owe?

What your friend does with her money, is no one else's business. If she blew her student loan money on movies, then that is her problem, she has to deal with the consequences that result.

I agree with another poster, I don't lend anything to anyone - so it elimates the problems in trying to collect it back (if there would be any) , and I don't borrow what I can't afford to pay back.

lovebug
01-14-2008, 11:18 AM
okay the bills are paid up the only bill in question is the one she says i owe 106 on now i'm going through my bank records and i shoudl not owe anything infact i should have a credit the thing is it's a consualtated account and she has 5 phones a home phone and cable with them so the money doesn't go directally on my bill it's the way rogers does things

christine chittick
01-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Ok, but with rogers, for each phone she would have there would be an amount due for each number, and the bill would be combined. My boyfriend and I have 2 cellphones, and each month when the bill comes in, I am able to see the usage, and the amount owed on each phone. And yes, any amount more, it would be credited to the whole amount owing if any. If there isn't any owing, the overpayment would be credited to the whole account, not just your phone.

lovebug
01-14-2008, 12:06 PM
so by me over paying i payed off her bills?

sanstu
01-14-2008, 12:28 PM
lovebug, ask to see the cell bill associated to your cell #. That is what is owed,plus any taxes and additional charges. Remember, if you give the phone back to your friend you may have to pay additional charges. Maybe it would be better to try to patch up your friendship with your friend. You can be right or you can be happy. Sometimes it's better to be happy. Good luck.

christine chittick
01-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Where else would it go? The phone is under her account. If you pay more than your bill - the remainder is going to go on the rest of the amount owing, or credited as a whole. It can't be credited to just your phone as it is all under one account, and any money paid on it, just knocks that amount off the bill as a whole. So if she has 5 phones, and one does not get paid, it is possible that all 5 phones will be suspended until that other phone gets caught up. And then there is a 25.00 service charge I think to get it hooked back up.

Tell her you want to see the amount owing to your phone number. If she gives you the bill, you will see for yourself, there will be page with your phone number on it, and the usage time, and the package, and the extras if you have any, and the amount owed to that particular phone.

lizard_lover
01-14-2008, 05:08 PM
I have a rogers cell under my moms account. Her and her husband each have a cell on that account. We all get individual bills (well a bill showing the ammount for each phone)...if I pay and extra, say, 20$ on my bill, it goes and pays off 20$ on my moms cell, or her husbands. I would ask to see a record of every bill you have paid, and if she has not kept them, get her address, and rogers will give you the info.

weathers
01-14-2008, 05:38 PM
I use to work for Rogers, you need to know the name on the account, birthdate and address and they will give you any info you want.

lovebug
01-14-2008, 08:11 PM
i know all that info and still when i call they give me nothing

jennifer25ca2006
01-14-2008, 08:18 PM
pretend you are her. lol

sanstu
01-14-2008, 08:29 PM
pretend you are her. lol

Oh jennifer, that is so sneaky, I love it!!hehehe:rofl:

christine chittick
01-14-2008, 09:08 PM
She must not be much of a friend if she will not give you the bill for your phone number.

What I would do is refuse to pay, give the phone back, and tell her you are not paying after this date, and will only pay what is owed prior to the date once you receive the bill(s) in hand.

I'm not one to not pay what is owed, but I refuse to pay into something blindly without knowing what I owe.

Zoitsa
01-15-2008, 07:03 AM
I use to work for Rogers, you need to know the name on the account, birthdate and address and they will give you any info you want.

As well as the postal code. :) Oopps I just notice you wrote "address" Hahaha.. Sorry

lovebug
01-15-2008, 10:26 AM
She has the phone and everything that came with it back i told her to send me the bill with a friend of ours so i can look at it and i told her i wanted all of it not just a portion of it and i'm not giving her the money for the bill i will be doing online banking like i always do and will provide the conformation number for her via email and i'm planning on keeping all the transaction records for awhile you never know where this could go