View Full Version : N.B. highway crash kills teacher, 7 students

sarahnb
01-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Please keep these families in mind.

N.B. highway crash kills teacher, 7 students
Van collides with truck in freezing rain
Last Updated: Saturday, January 12, 2008 | 5:57 PM AT
CBC News
Seven members of a high school basketball team and a teacher were killed early Saturday when the van they were in went out of control and hit a transport truck on a slippery highway near Bathurst, N.B., police said.

The van and truck, travelling in opposition directions, collided on Highway 8 near Highway 11 shortly after midnight local time as the teens were returning from playing a basketball game in Moncton, RCMP Cpl. Daniel Melanson said.

The entire passenger side of the van was ripped off during its collision with a tractor-trailer.
(CBC)
"Of the eight people who were killed, seven were male students between the ages of 15 and 18 and one was a female adult," he told CBC Newsworld.

The teens who were killed were among nine members of the Bathurst High School boys basketball team on the road trip and were pronounced dead at the scene.

"There was nothing we could do," RCMP Sgt. Derek Strong told reporters. "The force of the impact was so great that the benches they were sitting on were also ejected from the vehicle, so this was a very, very major impact."

The female teacher who died was from another school and was married to the driver, the team's coach. He survived, along with the couple's daughter, Strong said.

Four people were taken to hospital. Three remained in hospital later Saturday, two in stable condition and one in more serious condition in the intensive care unit, a hospital spokeswoman said.

The driver of the transport truck suffered no injuries, the RCMP's Melanson said.

School district superintendent John McLaughlin said the community is devastated by the news. He said the school planned to keep a grief counselling centre open all day on Saturday.

"There is such disbelief," he said. "A tragedy of this proportion — it's unspeakable. We're all trying to make sense of it. Since about 4 a.m. there have been large amounts of students, parents and just people from the community who care very much about the situation coming to Bathurst High School."

Bathurst Mayor Stephen Brunet said the community of 12,000 was in mourning.

"We've had a tragedy occur, which not only affects the city of Bathurst, but the whole region. Bathurst is a feeder school that has students coming in from around the region ... so this affects a lot of young people."

Police said 12 people were riding in the van, which was just 500 metres from the exit to Bathurst when the accident occurred.

The vehicle fished-tailed on the road, made slippery by snow, freezing rain and ice pellets.

The entire passenger side of the van was ripped off during the collision and most of the passengers were ejected when it struck the tractor-trailer, police said.

"At the time, it would have been snowing," Melanson said. "The road had snow and slush. We had a light snowstorm yesterday that started in the afternoon."

Prime Minister Stephen Harper said as a father, his grief goes out to the parents of the teenage boys who were killed.

"The sudden loss of eight people in this unthinkable accident shocked the nation, and all Canadians join you in mourning their passing," he said in a letter to high school principal Coleen Ramsay.

New Brunswick Premier Shawn Graham, speaking from Ottawa where he attended a first ministers meeting, expressed his condolence for the victims' families.

"I just want to extend sympathies to the affected families," he said. "This is a tragic situation for the community of Bathurst and our province

rhiley_08j
01-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Oh man that is awful. I feel so bad for the families and the transport truck driver.

FutureChief88
01-12-2008, 05:16 PM
OMG .. this is awful..,

My thoughts go out to their families..

wildberry
01-12-2008, 05:33 PM
My thoughts and prayer go out for families who have lost loved ones also to the father and child who lost their wife/mother, and lets not forget the team members who survived.

rhiley_08j
01-12-2008, 05:40 PM
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/index.php?rn=222561&cl=5919244&ch=222562

Click on the video about the crash. OMG

rhiley_08j
01-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Am I the only one that also feels empathy for the driver?

puppyluv
01-12-2008, 07:52 PM
I lived there for 3 years. It is a close knit place...I feel terrible for all involved. The survivors will have nightmares and need counselling...and the families of the victims...the victims..it is so tragic. :(

vairscove
01-13-2008, 08:49 AM
The driver was also the team coach and a teacher as well as his wife. His wife is now gone and his daughter in in the hospital with a broken back. I cannot even imagine what this man is going through and will for the rest of his life. He will need all the support the community can give at a time like this.Our hearts and prayers go out to everyone and all the families involved in this terrible accident.

Chinna Dah
01-13-2008, 09:00 AM

No, I can't imagine what is going through the mind of that poor transport driver. He will have visions of this crash for the rest of his life. I think he will need some conselling before he hits the road again.

It is really unfortunate that he was just in the wrong spot at the wrong time just making a living. Thank GOD he was not hurt (physically) or killed.

love_my_baby_girl
01-13-2008, 01:29 PM
My toughts and prayers goes to evryone and the familly of the one's involved in that accident and hope the ones injured will be recovering soon both physicly and mentally:(

jennifer25ca2006
01-13-2008, 01:46 PM
The driver is definatly going to need to go to some sort of counselling. My prayers go out to everyone that was affected by this tragedy.

rhiley_08j
01-13-2008, 01:54 PM
That's what I was saying. I feel so bad for all of them, but especially that poor transport driver. That has got to be heavy on the heart. 7 people. Absolutely heart wrenching. That man drives these highways everyday of his life, to support himself, and no doubt his family. Now every time he gets behind the wheel of that truck, he is going to see that van full of kids. It's an absolute shame.

jennifer25ca2006
01-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Also the driver of the van the man that lost his wife and all them kids. He was the one that was driving and I am sure that he is probably blaming it on himself and saying if i had of done this different. Its a shame I hope he is not, but he probably is.

love_my_baby_girl
01-13-2008, 02:18 PM
They should put a wooden cross around where it happend to remind people to be carefull and for them to remember this tragic accident...not to point finger's that somewhere someone did something they shouldnt but it would remind ppl of this tragic accident and they'd be more carefull!!! I read on yahoo news yesterday someone was wondering if they won hoping if they did that atleast they took the victory with them...I hope both drivers will be able to get behind a wheel again without being scare of hitting someone...

rhiley_08j
01-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Also the driver of the van the man that lost his wife and all them kids. He was the one that was driving and I am sure that he is probably blaming it on himself and saying if i had of done this different. Its a shame I hope he is not, but he probably is.

Oh yeah for sure. You know he is going to blame himself. I know I would. It was an accident though, and there was nothing he could do. Sometimes those roads can be pretty treacherous.

Mommma
01-13-2008, 03:41 PM
I am from Bathurst originally and the driver of the school van was my high school accounting teacher. He and his wife were very involved in their community and very good people. I hope his daughter will recover quickly from her physical injuries. The emotional impact will be a long slow process for everyone .
My parents were teachers and collegues of he and his wife and my dad was at their house last week. My mom taught some of the boys when they were younger.My parents also were freinds with the parents of one of the boys who was killed.. his dad is a teacher at the school.
I have not read all the obituaries yet but most of these kids parents would be about my age so I probably went to school with some of the parents.
I have kids this age who are involved in sports and travelling and it is a parents worst nightmare ..always a possibility in summer or winter but you still want them to live their life doing what they love so you can't stop them.
My heart and prayers go out to everyone involved in this tragic accident.
Bathurst is having a mass funeral on Wednesday at the KC Irving arena and I know it will be standing room only.
Thanks to isaint john for all the comments and support!

FutureChief88
01-13-2008, 05:30 PM
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/index.php?rn=222561&cl=5919244&ch=222562

Click on the video about the crash. OMG

I clicked on that and it brought me to some video about something Completely different

Mommma
01-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Anyone that would like to can write a message of condolence on the BHS guestbook. Just go to BHS High school site. There are hundreds of messages from all over North America.One of the grandma's just left a message also.

lovebug
01-13-2008, 08:44 PM
They should put a wooden cross around where it happend to remind people to be carefull and for them to remember this tragic accident...not to point finger's that somewhere someone did something they shouldnt but it would remind ppl of this tragic accident and they'd be more carefull!!! I read on yahoo news yesterday someone was wondering if they won hoping if they did that atleast they took the victory with them...I hope both drivers will be able to get behind a wheel again without being scare of hitting someone...
They put a basket ball net with flowers in the net instead of a cross well the kids did anyway

love_my_baby_girl
01-13-2008, 09:49 PM
"They put a basket ball net with flowers in the net instead of a cross well the kids did anyway"<!-- / message -->

I noticed that reading on yahoo news and canada east :) Pretty toughtfull of them to do that. *By the way folks if I misspelled that word sorry u know what I mean lol for those who gives a dam about the spelling... :) *

rhiley_08j
01-13-2008, 11:03 PM
I clicked on that and it brought me to some video about something Completely different

Yeah I know the link apparently changes daily. Sorry.

admin
01-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Anyone that would like to can write a message of condolence on the BHS guestbook. Just go to BHS High school site. There are hundreds of messages from all over North America.One of the grandma's just left a message also.

Thanks for mentioning this

These are the direct links:

BHS Site:
http://bathursthigh.nbed.nb.ca/home.html

BHS Guestbook:
http://www.a-free-guestbook.com/guestbook.php?username=jmacq