PDA

View Full Version : Origin of street names

trinity
01-05-2008, 07:55 PM
I used to live over west and I always wondered about some names and where they came from. Of course, anything "royal" like Duke, King, Charlotte, Victoria, Albert etc is understandable. Other names like Lancaster, Ludlow, Carleton, Watson, Havelock, Winslow etc- based on former mayors, lieutenant governors, judges etc. Champlain, deMonts-famous explorers. Dunn-I believe as in Sir James Dunn etc. Some more "modern" names like Buena Vista, Pleasant, Summer etc come from the suburban development craze of the '60s. Others are descriptive- Fundy Drive, Riverview, Sea View etc. Others denote old locations- Market Place, City Line etc. Some are named after wealthy families of the 1800s- Olive St, Douglas Ave, Tilton, Earle etc. and others are named after aspects of local history- Algonquin etc.

What I want to know is amongst famous explorers, rich families, mayors etc- who the heck was BRIAN? As in Brian Lane, off Prince St.

scribe
01-16-2008, 03:51 PM
hi trinity: it may have been named after a property owner or resident during the cities conversions of street names for the 911 conversion in the 1990s..if it predates this, it is still probably named after the person who owned the land or built a house....do you know if it was brians lane before 1990?

trinity
01-17-2008, 12:22 AM
It has always been named Brian Lane, the street has been there for at least a hundred years, given the age of the house I used to live in and its "twin" next door.