PDA

View Full Version : Saint John people can't afford it and my scary cab ride home!

Pumpkin
01-04-2008, 12:02 AM
I have two experiences I just have to rant about, lol.

One happened tonight. We had gone into a store in McAllister Place that sells leather jackets and big fleecy blankets. My boyfriend was interested in buying a coat he had seen in the store previously. Him being the way he is, he tried to get the sales lady to knock the price down. When she explained why she couldn't, he was told that they were already on sale. She had the prices down low because she knows the people in Saint John cannot afford it.......... I thought I heard her say that but wasn't sure I heard her right because my boyfriend sorta of brushed it off quickly, said he wanted it and took it to the counter. ...meanwhile I forgot about it and later something reminded him of it and he brouhgt it up seeing as he took it as being an insult really.
Anyways. It was kind of funny but at the same time it was very rude.

My other rant is about my cab ride home on New Years Eve. SCARY! You know, you take a cab home so that you are sure to arrive home safely. Or so atleast you are in the care of a sober driver who can drive "safely", right?! I had 4 drinks all evening and I would have been much more comfortable with my driving that this mans. Well, I was pretty sure I wasn't going to arrive home at all this New years Eve. I had been out with some friends over in Champlain heights and decided to call a cab about 3am or shortly there after. Took awhile to get through, but not too long at all for the cab to arrive. Well I got in and we headed towards the main road that runs through the heights. Well the driver just stepped on it, flew around the circle and all the way up to the intersection. He must have been doing 70 or 80 and the roads were BAD. I thought for sure the vehicle would slide and then end up rolling. I drive the road a lot and my car slides on those roads easily because they are never plowed very well at all. I know I am not th only one, I see the marks in the snow where others slide as well. Anyways...Once he got onto Loch Lomand Road which wasn't in much better condition than the Heights, he gunned her again and I think I was gripping the seat with both hands. He didn't slow down until near Hong Kong take-out because there was a car infront of us. Good Lord. I wanted to kiss my floor when I got home!! I realize it's busy and there is money to be made, but what good is it if your dead. And, is a possible $30 cab fair worth someone else's life...i wouldn't think... anyways just scary!

My two cents worth...or would it be 4 this time :P

low
01-04-2008, 12:33 AM
I vote this thread a 5 out of five!
very entertaining rant!

dan j
01-04-2008, 01:23 AM
I think what she meant to say is that people who would be interested in such a "classy" store would typically not be able to afford the "classy" merch inside the story. I don't think she meant that people in SJ have no money as there are lots of people with money but typically they have better taste than to shop in the wolf blanket store.

puppyluv
01-04-2008, 06:51 AM
more like people wont spend 50 on a fuzzy blanket! People can afford things, they just are usually smarter than to pay inflated prices in my opinion..*grin*

Now, I bet you and I had that same cab driver..but mine was a regular day! I even called and complained about him, not that that did anything. I have never been with such a driver that was in a bad rush!!!

perhaps the police need to be watching that person!

oasis
01-04-2008, 07:08 AM
As for your cab ride, glad you made it home safe. I know what thats like.

Quite a few years ago I was at work, when my wife showed up to get the car. She had missed the bus she needed to make a connection to get to were she worked. When I got to work it was quite cool so I wore my heavy parka. It warmed up quite a bit so I put it in the car (along with my keys to work and the house!).

I did not realize this until it was time to lock up and go home. So I packed up all my stuff an made arrangements for some one who worked next door to watch my place till I could get back to lock it up. I got a cab up near Brunswick Square to take me to my wifes place of work to get the car.

This man once he got on the viaduct just nailed it. when I looked at his speedometer, we were doing over 150kph!! Going through neighbor hoods with a 50 kph speed limit he was doing 90 to 100 the whole trip. When we got to where we were going I refused to pay. I told him I was not about to pay him for endangering my life.

When he threatened to call the cops, I grabbed my cell phone and did it for him. I explained to the dispatcher what had occurred right there in front of him and he took off. When the police arrived, I gave them the info on the cab and the driver. He was charged with reckless driving and endangerment. He lost his license for 1 year. He was pulled over a few blocks from where I was for speeding so that was used against him in this case.

I have not gotten into a cab where I did not know the driver personally since!

So I know how you feel.

FutureChief88
01-04-2008, 07:36 AM
As for your cab ride, glad you made it home safe. I know what thats like.

Quite a few years ago I was at work, when my wife showed up to get the car. She had missed the bus she needed to make a connection to get to were she worked. When I got to work it was quite cool so I wore my heavy parka. It warmed up quite a bit so I put it in the car (along with my keys to work and the house!).

I did not realize this until it was time to lock up and go home. So I packed up all my stuff an made arrangements for some one who worked next door to watch my place till I could get back to lock it up. I got a cab up near Brunswick Square to take me to my wifes place of work to get the car.

This man once he got on the viaduct just nailed it. when I looked at his speedometer, we were doing over 150kph!! Going through neighbor hoods with a 50 kph speed limit he was doing 90 to 100 the whole trip. When we got to where we were going I refused to pay. I told him I was not about to pay him for endangering my life.

When he threatened to call the cops, I grabbed my cell phone and did it for him. I explained to the dispatcher what had occurred right there in front of him and he took off. When the police arrived, I gave them the info on the cab and the driver. He was charged with reckless driving and endangerment. He lost his license for 1 year. He was pulled over a few blocks from where I was for speeding so that was used against him in this case.

I have not gotten into a cab where I did not know the driver personally since!

So I know how you feel.

WOW.. Good for you though!~

I am glad something was done!

KRS
01-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Wolf Blankets Ftw

Mandi
01-04-2008, 08:44 AM
I think what she meant to say is that people who would be interested in such a "classy" store would typically not be able to afford the "classy" merch inside the story. I don't think she meants that people in SJ have no money as there are lots of people with money but typically they have better taste than to shop in the wolf blanket store.
- chuckle-

I'm really sorry to hear about your bad cab ride though. I have YELLED at drivers in the past. i just have too many bad experiences to accurately describe them all...

rhiley_08j
01-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Time is money in that type of profession, however nothing excuses doing 150 in a 60. 70 in a 50, not that bad, usually what most people do, about 15 to 20 over the limit.

oasis
01-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Time is money in that type of profession, however nothing excuses doing 150 in a 60. 70 in a 50, not that bad, usually what most people do, about 15 to 20 over the limit.

True, but when you have a passenger in your cab you are responsible to get them there safely, not quickly. If you are speeding and by your self, if your car flips you hurt yourself. If you are a cab driver and your driving like that and you kill your passenger, that's murder.

People that put others lives in danger like this should not be on the road.

Mandi
01-04-2008, 01:55 PM
True, but when you have a passenger in your cab you are responsible to get them there safely, not quickly. If you are speeding and by your self, if your car flips you hurt yourself. If you are a cab driver and your driving like that and you kill your passenger, that's murder.

People that put others lives in danger like this should not be on the road.

If you're speeding and by yourself and your car flips into a line of daycare children that are out for their daily walk, that's murder too! Everyone who speeds puts others lives in danger.

lizard_lover
01-04-2008, 02:22 PM
I got one...
Not this new years, but the year before, my friend and I were out (we did not drink) and at about midnight we called a cab. (we are both girls...thought I would mention since you guys keep calling me a guy lol) Well, he was arab, and he asked us if we were virgins, and asked if we were going out to party to *insert f word*!!! I freaked out, and once we got to where we were going I refused to pay him. And that si when he grabbed my friends arm and threatened to have her put in jail if we did not pay him. I got so scared I picked up my cell and dialed 911...and as soon as I started to talk he realised who I was talking to and sped off...I never caught his name or anything...

FutureChief88
01-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Similiar thing with us.. We were out in the summer.. and drinking.. and some cabby asked to see my friends breasts.. We freaked out .. got out and walked the rest of the way.. we didn't have cell's .. he threatened to call the police.. so we stood there and waited.. Needles to say he left.

lizard_lover
01-04-2008, 03:02 PM
And the scary part is all they have to do is picked up a horribly drunk chick, drive into an alley, and do what they want..something should be done about them...

FutureChief88
01-04-2008, 03:04 PM
I agree.. What can we do.. Cause i am all for it!

rhiley_08j
01-04-2008, 03:12 PM
I know you ladies were appalled by what happened to you but you might be surprised by the amount of woman that will perform sexual favors in exchange for a free cab ride. Maybe the cab driver was under the mindset that it can't hurt to ask. LOL, I'm just teasing. I know there is no excuse for unwelcomed lude comments.

FutureChief88
01-04-2008, 03:20 PM
I know you ladies were appalled by what happened to you but you might be surprised by the amount of woman that will perform sexual favors in exchange for a free cab ride. Maybe the cab driver was under the mindset that it can't hurt to ask. LOL, I'm just teasing. I know there is no excuse for unwelcomed lude comments.

:rofl: Lol

the sad thing is that you are right!! I actully know "women" that would! its quite sick!

Triple J
01-04-2008, 05:06 PM
LOL the cab ride ewww.

Did you not find it ironic that you are insulted for really being called cheap by the sales lady ....when you really were being cheap by trying to knock the price down?

lizard_lover
01-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Eww...I cannot believe someone would exchange sexual favours for a cab ride...just degrading...

kristajoy
01-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Back about 10 years ago, I got into a cab going from Market Square to Silver Falls and it took the guy about 3 hours to get me there. I had a few drinks during the evening. Well, i thought at first that he had a call for another pick up because he started driving over to the west side. We ended up at Irving Nature Park. He was a foreign man and when we got there, he shut the car off and just sat there talking to me. It totally scared me into thinking that he was going to rape or kill me. Really.....i had never been so scared in all my life. It makes ya think a second time before getting into a cab again. I havent taken many since unless its been someone i know.

Pumpkin
01-04-2008, 07:38 PM
I think what she meant to say is that people who would be interested in such a "classy" store would typically not be able to afford the "classy" merch inside the story. I don't think she meant that people in SJ have no money as there are lots of people with money but typically they have better taste than to shop in the wolf blanket store.

I am not sure as to take that as an insult or what regarding better taste but I will leave it alone...

Ofcourse he went in there. To buy the type of jacket he wanted , it would have cost him $300 or more in the top of the line stores. Who wouldn't want it for half that, if they could get it for that price!!. Anyways, that is what she said and u can take it how you want it. Like I said, it struck us as being rude, but it also struck us funny that she actually had nerve to say it I guess. And, that is how we took it.

Yea I thought about reporting that cab guy. But it being New years and all, they probably wouldn't have taken my statement cuz I had 4 drinks in the run of 9 hours and all. ( Read that story someone posted about being attacked on their deck by crazy people outside hollering)

I had another incident years ago where we came out of Mark drive in a cab and when the guy stopped, instead of stopping at the end of the road he stopped at the yellow line on Loch Lomand Rd instead. He was drinking, we even seen the little mickey he had, and I am sure it's not the only one he had. Crazy! We were teenagers and didn't bother to do anything.

chevybeerman
01-04-2008, 09:48 PM
just to add i was hitchiking when i was 17 and a man asked me if he could ummm how do i put this without being banned (suck my sucker) and he would give me $50 bucks so i made him pull over and kicked out his passenger window and he sped away. i am pretty sure that was the last time i hitchiked.but goes to show you the sickos in this city arent just cab drivers

rhiley_08j
01-04-2008, 10:03 PM
but goes to show you the sickos in this city arent just cab drivers

... or foreigners...

jennifer25ca2006
01-04-2008, 10:19 PM
All cabbies are not sickos. Sorry to say I know plenty of them and I know a lot that are. Yes alot of women do favors for cabbies as in sexual. Also a lot of women do not. Because you have had a bad experience with a certain cab driver does not mean that they are all like that.

trinity
01-05-2008, 12:50 PM

Amen!
I am sure those blankets are very comfy but do they have to have such lurid stupid pictures on them? why can't they be just plain?

I have also been on the receiving end of very bad cab driving, I realize that New Year's Eve is a big money maker and they want to maximize profits, but not at the expense of injury. I probably would have called the dispatcher once home, or screamed at the cab driver. I was a taxi driver one year and on New Year's Eve it was nuts, I had a full car all night and people were throwing themselves at my cab, IN FRONT of my cab even, every time I stopped for a traffic light or stop sign; pounding on my doors and everything. Um, and just where did you expect me to PUT you and your 7 friends, on top of my current 5 passengers?
PS, 4 drinks in 9 hours would NOT have put you over the limit, unless they were doubles or you are on medication.
http://www.ou.edu/oupd/bac.htm

rhiley_08j
01-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Amen!
I am sure those blankets are very comfy but do they have to have such lurid stupid pictures on them? why can't they be just plain?

What's lurid about them?

trinity
01-05-2008, 01:01 PM
What's lurid about them?

Lurid:

1. gruesome; horrible; revolting:
2. glaringly vivid or sensational; shocking:
3. terrible in intensity, fierce passion, or unrestraint:
4. lighted or shining with an unnatural, fiery glow; wildly or garishly red: a lurid sunset.
5. wan, pallid, or ghastly in hue; livid.

rhiley_08j
01-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Lurid:

4. lighted or shining with an unnatural, fiery glow; wildly or garishly red: a lurid sunset.

Yes, I am not ignorrant, I know the definition of lurid, but please tell me how that applies to a picture of a wolf on a blanket?

jennifer25ca2006
01-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Lurid:

I have one when they actually had nice ones there and they were a lot more expensive. Mine has pictures of a lot of animals and that one does not look bad at all. I looked at the ones they have now I am wondering why do they not make them like they used to. The one I have was worth 100 at the time and it is so warm and heavy i love it.

Chinna Dah
01-05-2008, 01:51 PM
they are just kinda tacky looking.No where in my house would a blanket with a wolf on look nice.

rhiley_08j
01-05-2008, 02:09 PM
they are just kinda tacky looking.No where in my house would a blanket with a wolf on look nice.

It would in mine my whole living room is done in wolves, and it doesn't look tacky tyvm.

Mandi
01-05-2008, 02:22 PM
I can't imagine animal printed fabrics not looking tacky. to each his own I guess.

jennifer25ca2006
01-05-2008, 02:25 PM

I got a wolf, elephant, tiger and another animal on mine and it looks great on my bead. Nothing tacky about it. I should post the pic of it tonight. lol

rhiley_08j
01-05-2008, 02:43 PM
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m64/rhiley_08j/wolf1024.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m64/rhiley_08j/GrayWolf_Wolves105-FaceCloseup.jpg

You would consider these tacky?

chevybeerman
01-05-2008, 03:03 PM
please folks i know the blankets are a little bit overpriced but lets not deface the beauty of a wolf (my favorite animal)

rhiley_08j
01-05-2008, 03:08 PM
please folks i know the blankets are a little bit overpriced but lets not deface the beauty of a wolf (my favorite animal)

Me too!!:D

Mandi
01-05-2008, 03:09 PM
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m64/rhiley_08j/wolf1024.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m64/rhiley_08j/GrayWolf_Wolves105-FaceCloseup.jpg

You would consider these tacky?

The top I would consider very tacky... the bottom is a beautiful photograph. But I don't know if it's really important what I think if it makes you happy :)

rhiley_08j
01-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Well thank you at least you can be diplomatic about it. ;)

postey
01-05-2008, 04:33 PM
the bilaw should be the same in sj as frederiction no cabs can be older than 5 years and if a driver gets 2 or more complants the city of fred pulls there taxi permit Saftey must be number1 ,its the drivers responsibity

KRS
01-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Wolves are cool but a Gorilla would tear that thing up.

I love monkeys

jennifer25ca2006
01-05-2008, 04:46 PM
the bilaw should be the same in sj as frederiction no cabs can be older than 5 years and if a driver gets 2 or more complants the city of fred pulls there taxi permit Saftey must be number1 ,its the drivers responsibity

Which that does happen. You need to talk to the manager not the dispatchers. Dispatchers don't do a thing managers and owners do trust me

trinity
01-05-2008, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE=rhiley_08j;
You would consider these tacky?[/QUOTE]

I would not argue with your taste, rhiley, to each their own I guess, right dan_j?

sanstu
01-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Wolves are cool but a Gorilla would tear that thing up.

I love monkeys

Aren't you in the wrong thread?

markh
01-05-2008, 07:51 PM
I second the motion! This rant was very entertaining !!

jennifer25ca2006
01-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Aren't you in the wrong thread?

Lol they just wanted everyone to know about the imaginary monkey they saw uptown. lol

Mandi
01-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Lol they just wanted everyone to know about the imaginary monkey they saw uptown. lol

HAHAHA!!! sounds like a politician to me!!!!

Chinna Dah
01-05-2008, 09:41 PM
The pictures of the wolves are pretty. Transfer them to a blanket and having it in my house is still tacky.

sanstu
01-05-2008, 11:27 PM
It would in mine my whole living room is done in wolves, and it doesn't look tacky tyvm.

Come on everyone, cut rhiley_08j a little slack. I'm sure the living room looks very nice! But calling it tacky, now that's just a tad bit cold don't you think?

jennifer25ca2006
01-06-2008, 01:55 AM
Come on everyone, cut rhiley_08j a little slack. I'm sure the living room looks very nice! But calling it tacky, now that's just a tad bit cold don't you think?

You got that right it is cold and rude. But that is the way some people are rhiley_08j I also love wolves. They are awesome and im sure your place looks spectacular. :)

Chinna Dah
01-06-2008, 07:52 AM
Yup that is just the way I am. I call it how I see it. It is called telling the truth.

kr73
01-06-2008, 08:23 AM
I like bears.

Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.

rhiley_08j
01-06-2008, 09:08 AM
No worries, I certainly don't get offended by what anyone says on here, this site is very entertaining. As a side note, someone's opinion doesn't make it truth.

rhiley_08j
01-06-2008, 09:13 AM

dan j
01-07-2008, 01:08 PM
No worries, I certainly don't get offended by what anyone says on here, this site is very entertaining. As a side note, someone's opinion doesn't make it truth.

Exactly.

My opinion was just my opinion on the blankets and I was doing it more to be a smart ass rather than trying to offend anyone.

KRS
01-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Monkey pictures are up, go see for yourself

rhiley_08j
01-07-2008, 01:40 PM

:rofl: LOL:rofl:

jennifer25ca2006
01-07-2008, 03:59 PM

So where are the pics? Went to your post and guess what they are not there. Probably cause you are making up stories to see what someone would say about your infactuation.

lizard_lover
01-07-2008, 04:19 PM
I think the wolf blankets are pretty, but they would be tacky in a room where nothing else is wolves...but in all wolf rooms, it would be perdy!

gonefishing
01-07-2008, 10:29 PM
first of all .how many people on this site drive cab?do any of you even know what it is like to have poeple flip out at you or call 4 other taxi company's cause are taking a few extra minutes.well i do and another thing is that most not all people are drunk acting like je_ _s and think that they own your car .most time when we are going a little fast like most of you guys do it is so you dont have to stand around in the cold on the streets for an hour or so. and as far as the lady at the mall idont know.

Flaxie
01-10-2008, 07:39 AM
first of all .how many people on this site drive cab?do any of you even know what it is like to have poeple flip out at you or call 4 other taxi company's cause are taking a few extra minutes.well i do and another thing is that most not all people are drunk acting like je_ _s and think that they own your car .most time when we are going a little fast like most of you guys do it is so you dont have to stand around in the cold on the streets for an hour or so. and as far as the lady at the mall idont know.

I use taxis on a frequent basis, sometimes to travel to work but mostly for shopping. It is still cheaper to travel by bus and cab than it is to drive. (Besides I don't have a license lol) Anyway I have to say that many of the drivers I know, from all the major cab companies in the city, a generally good drivers, they are polite and good conversationalists. Yes I could give you descriptions of at least 3 I would refuse to drive with, but like every profession the bad are mixed in with the good. Keep in mind this is not a high paying position that requires a lot of extra education and training.

I do have to say that sometimes taking a different company may be required...I always ask the dispatcher if there is a car available in my area before requesting a cab. If they choose to lie to me and I end up waiting 20 minutes for a cab that I expected to arrive in 5-10 min I call back and ask what the hold up is and depending on the reason I will cancel and call another company. No it's not the driver's fault and I am sure they get frustrated when they loose a fare they are trying to get to but that's the risk you take with dispatchers and also with drivers who call in that they are cleared before they actually are to get their number up quicker. Prompt service and accurate predictions of wait times is very important.

FutureChief88
01-10-2008, 08:08 AM
the truth.

... As you see it..