PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant: When should I get my first ultrasound?

patbez
01-01-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm between 7 & 8 weeks pregnant & since I don't have a doctor, I have my first appt. this Friday at St. Joe's. I didn't think I'd be getting my first ultrasound on friday, but I assumed I'd be scheduled for it very soon...however, a friend of mine said that here in Saint John we don't have the technology to be able to see the baby on an ultrasound at 7-8 weeks & therefore I won't even get my first one until at least 12 weeks.

This frightens me, because I'm on a lot of pregnancy communities online & almost all of the women have had their first ultrasound at between 6 & 8 weeks, some even sooner, & they've been able to see the sac & the baby. Unfortunately, some of them had missed miscarriages & didn't find out until their first ultrasound....

I have not had a blood test, have not had my HCG levels checked....I've only taken 3 drugstore pregnancy tests that all came back positive...& I know myself & know that I won't be able to really relax until I have my first ultrasound, even though I'm assuming that they'll give me a blood test/check my HCG this Friday.

So is it true? Do they not usually give the first ultrasound until week 12 or after here in Saint John?

Yoda1808
01-01-2008, 11:05 AM
my first ultrasound was at 16 weeks, for my 2nd one, and 19 weeks, for my 3rd... My first one I had some complications with and my 1st ultrasound was at 7 weeks, but it was a pelvic one, not an abdominal one ...

sarahnb
01-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Typically the first ultrasound is 13-18 weeks. I found out at my ultrasound with my third pregnancy that the baby had stopped developing at 13 weeks. That was at 18 weeks. Also testing for HCG is not as common here as it is elsewhere. Four pregnancies in three hospitals and I've never had mine checked. Are you on american or canadian sites? Sometimes that makes a difference.

sassysomers
01-01-2008, 12:21 PM
i think it depends. but 13-18 weeks sounds right. i know it's hard not to worry when you are pregnant, but try to relax and talk to the doctor on fri about booking an ultrasound app't. i'm sure everything will be fine.

patbez
01-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Well, tech. I frequent a US site, however there are a plenty of Canadian women on the site that are having their HCG checked & having their ultrasounds at 5-8 weeks. I don't understand why, if it's common in the US & other parts of Canada, they don't do HCG tests or earlier ultrasounds here....it could really help ease women's minds.

lilly-marie
01-01-2008, 04:24 PM
My first ultrasound was at 13 weeks beacause I didn't know how far along I was. Then the next ultrasound at around 18 weeks. One positive pregnancy test means your pregnant no need to take 3 or 4. Why are you concerned about having an ultrasound done right away? If something was wrong your body usually gives you a sign like bleeding or something. The later you get one the better beacause the baby will be more developed and you can see more. Typically you only get 1 or 2 ultrasounds ( depends if it's a high risk pregnancy) You need to just relax I am sure everything is ok. Besides they won't usually check your hcg levels unless they have reason. Just enjoy girl!

sanstu
01-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Well, tech. I frequent a US site, however there are a plenty of Canadian women on the site that are having their HCG checked & having their ultrasounds at 5-8 weeks. I don't understand why, if it's common in the US & other parts of Canada, they don't do HCG tests or earlier ultrasounds here....it could really help ease women's minds.

Unless there are complications/problems arising, most ultrasounds are being done in Saint John between 18-20wks. There are specifics that are checked and at this point in the pregnancy the "baby" and vital organs are developed enough to detect possible problems. There is also a private clinic in Moncton doing 3D ultrasounds, however you have to pay for this service.

patbez
01-01-2008, 09:08 PM
lilly-marie: Pregnancy tests are only 99% accurate...why not take a second or a third? I personally don't see anything wrong with it. Some women take upwards of 20...also remember that some women have a much easier time getting pregnant, so maybe taking one test might be satisfiable to them, while I am someone that struggled to conceive & got great enjoyment out of taking 3 tests & seeing the two lines & a digital "pregnant" pop up :) Also, a lot of women have multiple miscarriages...so obviously some women are more prone to worrying about their pregnancy.

I am a very hands on person that likes to know what's going on with my health & if other women in Canada are having ultrasounds at 5-8 weeks & getting their HCG levels checked, I don't think it's crazy to maybe possibly want to have similar care. I'm very interested in this sort of stuff. A woman's body most def. does not always give signs that something is wrong...plenty of women have missed miscarriages & don't find out until later on when an ultrasound is done. Also, if doctors were checking all of these things earlier, certain measures could be taken to prevent a miscarriage, like if a woman should be taking progesterone supplements. Unfortunately due to chemicals, pollution & lots of other factors miscarriage & other pregnancy problems are on the rise...I think it's everyone's responsability to be as informed & hands on as possible.

I'm surprised you say that only 1-2 ultrasounds is normal. I really really hope that it was just in your case, because most people I know online & in person had several more throughout their pregnancy.

I resent it when people say to relax or that stress is bad for the baby. I mean...duh. But it's totally normal, esp. with a first pregnancy, to be worried & stress a little. I just want appropriate care, not care that's given to me because there aren't enough doctors or they're too busy.

I'm going to specifically ask on Friday for them to check my HCG & I'll also ask about my first ultrasound. I don't mind putting up a stink if they treat me as if I'm crazy for wanting my HCG checked or something.

MichelleM
01-01-2008, 09:12 PM
It depends on who you have as a dr. Some like you to have on early so that they can know more accuartly when you are due and then you also have one later to check the baby over. But with others you only have just the one unless there are complications.

mickeymouse
01-01-2008, 10:18 PM
1 or 2 ultrasounds are very normal!

ladybug2776
01-01-2008, 10:26 PM
My first ultrasound was at 13 weeks beacause I didn't know how far along I was. Then the next ultrasound at around 18 weeks. One positive pregnancy test means your pregnant no need to take 3 or 4. Why are you concerned about having an ultrasound done right away? If something was wrong your body usually gives you a sign like bleeding or something. The later you get one the better beacause the baby will be more developed and you can see more. Typically you only get 1 or 2 ultrasounds ( depends if it's a high risk pregnancy) You need to just relax I am sure everything is ok. Besides they won't usually check your hcg levels unless they have reason. Just enjoy girl!

Sorry, but I have to disagree with what you said here. A friend of mine took a pregnancy test a couple weeks ago and it was positive...she was very excited because her and her husband were trying to have another child. She made a doctors appointment and he sent her for a test and turns out she is not pregnant. So taking more than 1 would not hurt.

sanstu
01-02-2008, 09:42 AM
I am curious as to why a woman would want to have multiple ultrasounds? What do they see as the benefit?

Mandi
01-02-2008, 09:55 AM
I am curious as to why a woman would want to have multiple ultrasounds? What do they see as the benefit?

Finding out the sex of the child. I guess?

sanstu
01-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Finding out the sex of the child. I guess?

I would hope this is not the reason. I am finding this thread interesting though, who knew there could be so much mis-information on this subject!

MichelleM
01-02-2008, 10:53 AM
unless there are complications they will not let you have more than 2 regardless of whether you want them or not.

FutureChief88
01-02-2008, 10:57 AM
lilly-marie: Pregnancy tests are only 99% accurate...why not take a second or a third? I personally don't see anything wrong with it. Some women take upwards of 20...also remember that some women have a much easier time getting pregnant, so maybe taking one test might be satisfiable to them, while I am someone that struggled to conceive & got great enjoyment out of taking 3 tests & seeing the two lines & a digital "pregnant" pop up :) Also, a lot of women have multiple miscarriages...so obviously some women are more prone to worrying about their pregnancy.

I am a very hands on person that likes to know what's going on with my health & if other women in Canada are having ultrasounds at 5-8 weeks & getting their HCG levels checked, I don't think it's crazy to maybe possibly want to have similar care. I'm very interested in this sort of stuff. A woman's body most def. does not always give signs that something is wrong...plenty of women have missed miscarriages & don't find out until later on when an ultrasound is done. Also, if doctors were checking all of these things earlier, certain measures could be taken to prevent a miscarriage, like if a woman should be taking progesterone supplements. Unfortunately due to chemicals, pollution & lots of other factors miscarriage & other pregnancy problems are on the rise...I think it's everyone's responsability to be as informed & hands on as possible.

I'm surprised you say that only 1-2 ultrasounds is normal. I really really hope that it was just in your case, because most people I know online & in person had several more throughout their pregnancy.

I resent it when people say to relax or that stress is bad for the baby. I mean...duh. But it's totally normal, esp. with a first pregnancy, to be worried & stress a little. I just want appropriate care, not care that's given to me because there aren't enough doctors or they're too busy.

I'm going to specifically ask on Friday for them to check my HCG & I'll also ask about my first ultrasound. I don't mind putting up a stink if they treat me as if I'm crazy for wanting my HCG checked or something.

Well speaking from someone who has had 1 child and 3 miscarriages.. and who is pregnant again :) I FULLY understand the worries that a person would have being pregnant nowadays. Although 1-2 Ultrasounds is completely NORMAL in any normal situation. A doctor does not find it "useful" if you will.. To have an ultrasound done early, unless you are bleeding or having pain.
I did not have a doctor either, and was being seen at the Womens wellness clinic. I had gone in at about 5 weeks with bleeding and pains, assuming the worst, to have an ultrasound that shows a sac and fetal pole. I then had Another ultrasound at 6 and some weeks.. and again growing fetal pole.. but no HB.. At 7 weeks there was a Hb.. But let me tell you.. It was one long wait to find out.

Unless you are having problems.. Bleeding, Pains, Etc.. There is no need for an ultrasound. I am now almost 4 months.. and i have had 4 ultrasounds.. The worry doesnt go away.. Every single day i wonder if my baby is still alive in there.. I assume everything is fine.. because it all has seemed to balance out.. but personal experience.. an ultrasound will ease your mind for about a week.. then you worry again.

Also.. Most HB cannot be detected until 6-8 weeks.. So maybe your one of the people whose baby is developing later... Like mine was.. and There would be no HB.. Why do you want to suffer that disapointtment if you dont have to. I went through it twice.. The first 2 times that told ime they thought it would be a threatened abortion.. And it wasnt.

Also the " Missed Miscarriage" is something that usually happens before a woman finds out she is pregnant. Most people dont have a positive pregnancy test and then miscarry without knowing.. by the time you are 1 - 1 1/2 months pregnant.. You generally can feel a miscarriage..

Try not to worry.. I know how hard that is to say.. I am sitting here almost 16 weeks.. and i dont go for mine until feb 4th to find out the sex of the baby.. i worried right NOW that things are not ok.. get used to it girl.. From the moment you find out you are pregnant until you die you worry about your kids.. lol :)

It only gets better..

sanstu
01-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Thank you so much FutureChief88 for your very candid info. As you have correctly pointed out the best person to get medical advice from and explainations regarding specific testing is from your primary caregiver. Web sites can be useful tools however too many people view the info. as being the absolute truth. Remember anyone can have a website!
Good luck with your pregnancy!!!

FutureChief88
01-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks.. I believe that as well. I have limited myself to "Baby Sites" to see what the baby is doing this week..
I have been an avid viewer on womens experiences on the internet .. I have learned that reading other experiences.. Makes you insane.. I always expected the worse..

It is in some people's Nature.. I am a very pessimistic.. I find myself making up problems in my head.. and reasons to go visit the doctor so i can get some sort of confirmation.. But it is never enough.

Just "try" and Relax.. As i said, i know how hard it is.. But rest assured in most cases , your body will tell you.. Its whether or not you chooses to listen ..

Good Luck :)

patbez
01-02-2008, 12:18 PM
FutureChief88: I understand what you're saying & where you are coming from, but I'm not completely stressing myself out about my pregnancy....I understand that from the moment you are pregnant there are worries & fears & stresses...but that's not the aspect I'm coming from. I don't necessarily just want an ultrasound to ease my fears, I want one because it seems that MOST women in Canada are getting them at this stage in the game & I want adequate health care...the same health care that other women in my country are receiving. I don't think that's too much to ask.

The HB is usually detectable at week 6...but I would not be concerned if they didn't find one. I KNOW that it is not always detectable...again, I'm not simply wanting an ultrasound to ease my fears. Like I said before, I'm very hands on, very interested in everything going on with my body at every stage...& to me, two ultrasounds just doesn't seem like enough through an entire 9 month span. Maybe a lot of the women in SJ just don't know any better that they should be receiving different care? For example, SJ has the highest rate of c-sections...most likely due to doctor shortage & lack of time. It's scary to think that a doctor would do a c-section because he/she is pressed for time, but in this day in age stranger things have happened...while a woman may assume she is having a c-section because of complications, maybe there is more to the story. I'm simply saying that we all cannot depend on doctors to always provide us with the kind of care we deserve & should tech. be getting.

I'm not sure what the statistics are on missed miscarriages, but LOADS of women I know online & off had no bleeding, no cramping & had a miscarriage unbeknownst to them...only to find out a LONG time after the fact. So saying that by the time you are a month or longer along you can generally feel one, just isn't true.

santsu: I'm a very knowledgeable person when it comes to pregnancy...I have a lot of much younger siblings, relatives, friends that have been pregnanct throughout my life & I can barely remember a time when I was not around a pregnant woman...so this isn't a case of an uninformed person going on websites & freaking out. Just as I shouldn't view the info on the websites I visit as absolute truth, I shall not take the info I've gathered here at isaintjohn & view it as absolute truth either. Of course I will ask my doctor what is appropriate when I have my appt. on Friday....however....when on a large scale site with a lot of wonderful women, many who have gone through childbirth before, & who are extremely friendly & candid with information...it's pretty easy to make a general assesment based on their experiences. & I'm certainly not going to merely trust my doctor...sadly, we all have to take responsibility for own health & not leave it up to one single human being, as all humans are flawed & make mistakes. Woman need to be much more proactive when it comes to their health & well-being.

sarahnb
01-02-2008, 12:57 PM
I like to think of myself as being extremely proactive when it comes to the health of my children and myself. I have educated myself extensively in breastfeeding and medications because I have been through surgeries for a nursing child, myself as well as a major car accident. This is something doctors are ignorant on and I have had to argue my point and give them phone numbers for Toronto Sick Children's hospital as well as Canada's authority on breastfeeding, Dr. Newman.
An ultrasound at 6 weeks maybe what women in other parts of the country are recieving but it is not standard in the Maritimes. Most pregnancies, in our neck of the woods, actually only have one ultrasound and more if deemed necessary or high risk. Miscarriages are more common than most people think. they are about 1 in 5. It's just something that isn't discussed and 60% of those are spontaneous and unpreventable.

sanstu
01-02-2008, 01:56 PM
patbez, you will certainly have a very long and anxious pregnancy if you don't trust your Doctor.
Just to ease your mind a tad, it is the Restigouche Health authority that has the highest rate of c-section, not Saint John.(as far as provinces go, NFLD, NB. and in 3rd place for highest rate B.C.) As I said websites can provide wonderful info..

As a mother of 5 wonderful children, the last 2 being twins, I certainly have an understanding of a higher risk pregnancy.
I guess I just don't understand why anyone would want to have un-necessary testing done. If additional testing/bloods/ultrasound was necessary, I'm sure your Dr. would have ordered same.

FutureChief88
01-02-2008, 02:03 PM
FutureChief88: I understand what you're saying & where you are coming from, but I'm not completely stressing myself out about my pregnancy....I understand that from the moment you are pregnant there are worries & fears & stresses...but that's not the aspect I'm coming from. I don't necessarily just want an ultrasound to ease my fears, I want one because it seems that MOST women in Canada are getting them at this stage in the game & I want adequate health care...the same health care that other women in my country are receiving. I don't think that's too much to ask.

The HB is usually detectable at week 6...but I would not be concerned if they didn't find one. I KNOW that it is not always detectable...again, I'm not simply wanting an ultrasound to ease my fears. Like I said before, I'm very hands on, very interested in everything going on with my body at every stage...& to me, two ultrasounds just doesn't seem like enough through an entire 9 month span. Maybe a lot of the women in SJ just don't know any better that they should be receiving different care? For example, SJ has the highest rate of c-sections...most likely due to doctor shortage & lack of time. It's scary to think that a doctor would do a c-section because he/she is pressed for time, but in this day in age stranger things have happened...while a woman may assume she is having a c-section because of complications, maybe there is more to the story. I'm simply saying that we all cannot depend on doctors to always provide us with the kind of care we deserve & should tech. be getting.

I'm not sure what the statistics are on missed miscarriages, but LOADS of women I know online & off had no bleeding, no cramping & had a miscarriage unbeknownst to them...only to find out a LONG time after the fact. So saying that by the time you are a month or longer along you can generally feel one, just isn't true.

Just to Clarify, Most Women in Canada have ultrasounds this early because they feel they NEED it to provide accurate Medical information about their baby.. Much like you, or they have medical problems which require them to have an early ultrasound done.

the fact of the matter is, Most women have 1-2 ultrasounds During a normal pregnancy.. and thats it. That is the healthcare system.. and this scenario is not due to lack of healthcare.. it is because there is no other information a doctor needs before or after your 18-20 week ultrasound.

By this time in a pregnancy a maternal serum test has already been done.. (if requested) to determine, Everything of concern is developed, just not matured. So by 18-20 weeks all concerns regarding development are either packed up on the shelf, or they request a second ultrasound later on in the pregnancy. Truth be told.. Early ultrasounds show doctors nothing but a developing baby.. If you are going to miscarry, you are going to miscarry... so really there is no need for constant ultrasounds.

In my case.. I like having them to ease my mind (thats not why i have them done).. Mind you my doctor found a good strong heartbeat in the last one.. but that was just to see if everything was progressing. Not for any medical benefit. I go in Feb to find out the sex.. this ultrasound is generally the ONLY ultrasoubnd a woman will get. I am a high risk pregnancy.. which is why i have more ultrasounds.. But if my situation was normal.. I would only have 1-2.

They assess the progression of the pregnancy with regular doctor visits as you get further along. they measure your stomach and weigh you.. You dont need an internal screen shot of the baby to be receiving " Good Health Care "

I think most women nowadays just want that initial contact with their baby.. as soon as possible.. I know i did to some extent. You may or may not feel that way.. but just as long as you know.. It is not Beneficial/Detremental to your health to have constant Ultrasounds or lack of ultrasounds. As long as you have ONE.. thats all you need.

To me this "concern" Seems more of a question your mother asked you as a child.

" If Jenny Jumped off the Bridge, would you?"
Because you keep saying " all these women are having them done, and i want one"

Wanting one is fine.. But it is not beneficial to have an early ultrasound.

When it comes to this situation.. Its not necessary to do everything exactly the same as everyone else..
And every pregnancy is different with even yourself.

I know this one has been very different from my first. It just all depends on the situation.

patbez
01-02-2008, 03:27 PM
sarahnb: Exactly. Doctors can be ignorant & not always know what is best for their patient. I don't know how many times I have heard of misdiagnosis or complications that could have been prevented.

Yes, miscarriages def. ARE more common than most people thing...& in actuality, sometimes they CAN be prevented. As I said before, many women have progesterone defficiency & simply being placed on progesterone supplements has prevented miscarriage....some would argue that's precisely why more testing should be done in the early stages.

santsu: I disagree. My pregnancy will be no longer or no more anxious than someone that totally trusts in their doctor. Pregnancy is a nerve-wracking thing no matter the circumstances & I think you'd by hard pressed to find someone that wasn't a bit anxious or stressed during their 9 months. I will feel MORE calm & MORE relaxed if I take the time to educate myself & question my doctor. While YOU might be someone that would feel more anxious not fully trusting your doctor, I would not...different strokes for different folks :)

As for the c-section comment...I saw it on the news & must have misheard & I thought they said Saint John. But regardless...NB's is still high. So it's ridiculous to squabble over what area of NB's has the highest rate. Obviously it's still an issue in this province.

With what you call "unnecessary" testing...again, different strokes :)

futurechief88: I've actually recently spoken to a sonographer at an OB office & she said that they strongly feel that an early ultrasound/sonogram is needed for accurate dates & for mother's peace of mind. So obviously there are very different opinions in the medical community. As I mentioned to sarahnb, miscarriages CAN sometimes be prevented...so I really don't feel the "if you're going to miscarry, you're going to miscarry" comment holds much weight.

Nobody said anything about constant ultrasounds. I just feel 2 is not enough. Constant really means constant...& I'm not expecting an ultrasound once a week, or once a month for that matter. Also, maybe as someone who is having them on a regular basis due to your complications it's easier for you to talk.

Again...some people think it's beneficial, obviously, or else an early ultrasound would not be done in other parts of Canada/the world. I highly doubt doctors would be giving so many women an early ultrasound solely because it will ease the woman's mind....there must be more to it. I'm not trying to do everything exactly the same as everyone else....that makes me out to be extremely childish.

I see that most people here just have a very different way of looking at this than I do, while I have found many others that share my opinion & agree that it's appropriate if not necessary, including some in the medical field. Medicine & treatment is changing all the time & sometimes, although hard to admit, Saint John/The Maritimes takes a lot longer to catch up.

sanstu
01-02-2008, 05:47 PM
You do realize Patbez that ultrasounds cause an increase in baby's heartrate. You have also read info on the link between frequent ultrasounds and low birthweight. You do understand that the OB community does not advocate frequent ultrasounds. BC with third highest c-sections in the country I believe does early ultrasounds. So where is the benefit? Contrary to what you have been saying, early ultrasound done in Saint John is done when medical conditions warrant same, not to "ease the mother's worry".
Your question pertained to when and how many ultrasounds does one have when pregnant. For whatever reason you are not happy with the answers. Oh well.

FutureChief88
01-02-2008, 07:05 PM
futurechief88: I've actually recently spoken to a sonographer at an OB office & she said that they strongly feel that an early ultrasound/sonogram is needed for accurate dates & for mother's peace of mind. So obviously there are very different opinions in the medical community. As I mentioned to sarahnb, miscarriages CAN sometimes be prevented...so I really don't feel the "if you're going to miscarry, you're going to miscarry" comment holds much weight.

Nobody said anything about constant ultrasounds. I just feel 2 is not enough. Constant really means constant...& I'm not expecting an ultrasound once a week, or once a month for that matter. Also, maybe as someone who is having them on a regular basis due to your complications it's easier for you to talk.

Again...some people think it's beneficial, obviously, or else an early ultrasound would not be done in other parts of Canada/the world. I highly doubt doctors would be giving so many women an early ultrasound solely because it will ease the woman's mind....there must be more to it. I'm not trying to do everything exactly the same as everyone else....that makes me out to be extremely childish.

I see that most people here just have a very different way of looking at this than I do, while I have found many others that share my opinion & agree that it's appropriate if not necessary, including some in the medical field. Medicine & treatment is changing all the time & sometimes, although hard to admit, Saint John/The Maritimes takes a lot longer to catch up.

I find these "findings" Laughable.. Because being a very healthy woman myself, and being told by the number one perinatologist around that there is very little to be done to prevent a miscarriage of a current pregnancy, I think i will believe him. I am 23. I have had 3 miscarriages and 1 healthy baby who is now 5. And no.. Being as that i have had a few more ultrasounds, I could certainly say that I do not feel more comfortable having frequent ultrasounds. It is nerve racking.. I would much rather have this next one and wait until the baby is born before i see him/her again.

just as you pointed out in your statement.. it is also to ease a mothers mind. Now, cmon.. being a mother who has had early ultrasounds.. It DOESNT ease your mind.. as i said if anything it has made this pregnancy very much less enjoyable for me. Also, an OB does not need to know your due date when you are early on.. They ALSO get that info on your estimated 18-20 ultrasound.. Because most things are developed by 16 weeks.. They can estimate that most women wouldnt confuse their LMP more than 2 weeks.. So 18 - 20 weeks is a good time to have it done. That is when they estimate your due date.

And yes, i am having frequent ultrasounds with this baby, but i didnt with my daughter.. because, again, there was no medical benefit. They did the ultrasound at 19 weeks.. and that was it.. I never saw her again until she was born. And i was high risk with her..

The fact of the matter is.. I believe you should speak with another OB.. Because there is no medical benefit to an early ultrasound unless there are complications.. And again, your argument was that " you were not receiving adequate healthcare due to lack of ultrasounds" and it seems to me that you are receiving very adequate healthcare ..

The normal Ultrasound exam is generally 18-20 weeks.. Which answers you original question.. Trust me.. i have been through it all, and have only dealt with the finest Perinatologist around..

Good Luck.. and i hope you feel at ease with your current healthcare soon.

patbez
01-02-2008, 08:32 PM
My question was actually when doctors in Saint John usually give the first ultrasound, not when a first ultrasound SHOULD be or if an early one is or isn't healthy for a child. As with most things on isaintjohn though, this turned into a debate with people handing out advice or just joining in for the sake of joining in without providing any useful info on the question at hand...such as questioning why I took 3 pregnancy tests or why I want an early ultrasound...

santsu: you in particular have been somewhat brash with your comments or questions towards me...we all have different opinions & ways of looking at things. Unfortunately for you, you aren't always right. You both stated that the internet can have good info, but also to be wary of what you read...so I'm assuming you got your last set of facts from a medical journal or your own medical training & not the internet?

Anyway...everyone has their sources of info, whether I got mine from a sonographer or someone else got theirs from a world class OBGYN...who the hell knows what is 100% correct. & what's right for one woman isn't always right for another...saying "it doesn't ease your mind"....well, that may hold true for you & not for someone else. I didn't have an "argument" to begin with in this whole thing...just a question...that somehow snowballed into a debate for the reasons I listed in my first paragraph. & now here we are all spitting out opinions...probably to see our own words on the page rather than to really get anywhere in this discussion.

I have my views, you guys have yours...who knows what medical fact is, as we all seem to have heard something different & they seem to practice something different pretty much everywhere. I'll have my appointment on Friday, I'm sure all will be fine whether I have an early ultrasound or not & all will be well with the world :)

JulieHebert
01-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Patbez :
It depends on the person for when they will do the ultrasound for example if you are a person that has had miscarriages in the past or are high risk they will do one however if you have never had any complications or problems they will wait till you are around 18-20 weeks so they can check all the organs for the proper development or if you flat out don't remember when your last period is then they may do one to check how far along you are. I had one for that but had another one at 20 weeks for all the measurements and didn't get to see my baby till she was born even though I had bleeding the last week they still didn't do one ,so i guess It depends on the doctor and the patient with your history. Hope it helps ,And I know it is hard to relax when you are pregnant but your not doing yourself or your baby any good by getting worried .....trust me i know cause I'm the same way, I worry about everything. Good Luck

sanstu
01-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Patbez, if you took the time to read my posts, and the posts from the other members that took the time to respond, you will find the answer to your question. It was you , in your posts that continued to make reference to websites, chatrooms ect. regarding earlier testing and you felt (for whatever reasons) you should have this as well. Your primary caregiver will make those arrangements for you at the appropiate time, I am sure. I was not brash, at any point in my posts, nor was I disrespectful of you. My many years of post secondary education/and or the degrees I have are not at issue. I also do believe it is important to educate yourself to the best of your ability, as knowledge is a wonderful thing.
Wishing you nothing but good luck.

FutureChief88
01-03-2008, 07:31 AM
The only reason i "handed out advice" is because you showed concern as to why a doctor thinks it is only necessary to give 1-2 ultrasounds because everyone else was getting more than that. I was just trying to re-assure you that 1-2 IS normal.. And there can be many other factors included when a doctor decides to do more testing.

I just thought that i may have been providing you with a little more re-assurance as to why it is ok for them to only do 1 or 2.

And yes.. everyone has their sources.. I used my personal experience.. Which is not the same as everyone else's .. But again, just trying to offer you piece of mind.

I apologize if you took offense to what you seem to have interpreted as a debate.. But again i dont believe that was anyone intention. Your question was answered with the first few posts.. and you seemed that you didnt want to accept that answer... so we offered explanation. Thats all. And i dont believe i am writing to see my words on the screen.. that comment was a little ignorant and immature.

Good Luck.. and i Hope Everything Works out perfect.

Coston07
01-03-2008, 08:57 AM
My doctor told be to be happy that I only had/needed 1 ultrasound because that meant everything was going normal. I had two children in 13 months and only had one ultrasound for each child. After a normal ultrasounds the regular appointments at the OB for a check up and to hear the heart beat was pretty reassuring that things were going to be alright. This seems to be standard proctice from others I have talked to that had normal pregnancies.

FutureChief88
01-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Exactly.. Key word.. being Normal Pregnancies.. lol

there seem to be fewer and fewer nowadays..

bubbles_ca
01-04-2008, 04:36 PM
I am pregnant with my first child and frequent the online boards quite often and find them very informative. It's reassuring to read other people's experiences across Canada and draw from their advice. I do not have a family doctor and am visiting the prenatal clinic at St Joes like you Patbez. I was told on the first visit that they will perform a trans-vaginal ultrasound for dating the pregnancy if you are not very sure of your dates. Otherwise as long as things progress normally then they will not perform an ultrasound until around week 18-20. I was also curious about having so few ultrasounds and asked some of my friends who have been pregnant around the Maritimes and this seems like standard procedure. I think that these forums are a great place to learn more about what is hapenning with you and your body, and I'm sure our mothers would have loved to have this kind of information readily available when they were pregnant. All of the doctors at the prenatal clinic are great and I think you may find after talking with them that some of your fears will lessen (of course not all of them though). Trust them as much as possible, but I do agree that it's best to take your health in your own hands and stay educated. That way you can make better informed decisions for you and your baby.

jjmom 309
01-06-2008, 06:42 AM
Hello Ladies,

Just remember, an ultrasound is done for the Dr's informational data- not for the patients- although we are lucky enough to see the baby, and of course receive any info the Dr. does later on.

As for it being only in Saint John that women are only receiving 1-2 ultrasounds, that is not the case. I am from Toronto, Ontario, and moved here 1.5 years ago. My first two children were born in Ontario, and I had wonderful care. I was sent for only ONE ultrasound for each child, which was around the 14th week of pregnancy. One ultrasound is completely normal, UNLESS your pregnancy is a high risk one, or the Dr. has some real concerns.

Don't worry about the # of ultrasounds you receive! You are right, it is totally normal to be concerned- especially so early in your pregnancy when you can't feel the baby moving or anything, but just try to trust that all is well! Do what IS in your power to do -eat well, stay away from smoking, drinking, etc., get moderate exercise, sleep, etc. An ultrasound can not change things anyway! I do know what it is like to worry- I lost my first baby, then was walking on eggshells when I was pregnant with my second & third! Now I am preg-o with my fourth- and I still am nervous, and wonder about every little ache. Not to preach, but a scripture that helps me when I start to worry says "What one of you can add but one hour to his life by worrying.....". Everything is in God's hands. Give up your worry to him- and experience his peace!

And, congratulations on this exciting time!!!