PDA

View Full Version : labor laws

lizard_lover
12-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Where can I go to get a good detail on this?
I work at a call center. We have certain amounts of extra "aux" time to go to the bathroom and such, but my bladder stopped growing at 5, so I pee more than once outside of my breaks...I even brought a doctor's note, but they said they cannot change the rules for just me. Fine, whatever. All my supervisors have understood and given me a break on it. Well, my supervisor left recently, and I got a new one. She has told me I have to take my breaks shorter to even all my "aux" time out. Is that not illegal? I was told you have to have 2 15 minute breaks and a half hour break in a 8 hour shift...well she is telling me to take 10 minute breaks...
as well, we are allowed 10 sick days per year. Now, being a call center, once a month we have a shift bid. They take your quality, aux time, adherence, and all that jazz and put you accordingly in a list. If you call in sick, you automatically go down about 5 spots in that list. Is that legal? I mean If I lose my voice for 2 days (being as I answer a phone for my job, I cannot do it if I cannot talk) then I have to call in sick. Because of that, i am probably going to end up with a crappy shift because I have dropped in the list.
I am just fed up with my work place treating us like crap. Fleas all over the place, taking away our paper towel dispensers in the bathroom and repalcing with the blowers, etc...
what can I do?

nadia.m.
12-21-2007, 01:06 PM
You may want to consult a lawyer, this is really the best way to get the information you need.

It is probably not worth your while to pay a lawyer their normal hourly rate for this information, so you can go through the lawyer referral service offered through the Saint John Law Society. They will give you the names of lawyers who are willing to do a half an hour consult for $30 (I think it is up to $35 now). Contact info can be found at:

http://saintjohn.cioc.ca/details.asp?RSN=557

Another alternative would be to contact Public Legal Education. They are funded by but independent from the provincial government and their services are free. They are staffed by non-practicing lawyers and law students, among others, who will provide you with information, but not advice, in all areas of the law. I used to work there when I was in law school and I can tell you that they are normally very informative and helpful. Here's the website:

http://www.legal-info-legale.nb.ca/

All that being said, our employment laws in this province are known to be...dated. I am often consulted by clients who want to know what they can do about their working conditions and sadly, they don't usually have many choices given our Employment Standards act. I hope that you are able to get the information you need.

wookiee
12-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Where can I go to get a good detail on this?
I work at a call center. We have certain amounts of extra "aux" time to go to the bathroom and such, but my bladder stopped growing at 5, so I pee more than once outside of my breaks...I even brought a doctor's note, but they said they cannot change the rules for just me. Fine, whatever. All my supervisors have understood and given me a break on it. Well, my supervisor left recently, and I got a new one. She has told me I have to take my breaks shorter to even all my "aux" time out. Is that not illegal? I was told you have to have 2 15 minute breaks and a half hour break in a 8 hour shift...well she is telling me to take 10 minute breaks...
as well, we are allowed 10 sick days per year. Now, being a call center, once a month we have a shift bid. They take your quality, aux time, adherence, and all that jazz and put you accordingly in a list. If you call in sick, you automatically go down about 5 spots in that list. Is that legal? I mean If I lose my voice for 2 days (being as I answer a phone for my job, I cannot do it if I cannot talk) then I have to call in sick. Because of that, i am probably going to end up with a crappy shift because I have dropped in the list.
I am just fed up with my work place treating us like crap. Fleas all over the place, taking away our paper towel dispensers in the bathroom and repalcing with the blowers, etc...
what can I do?

I am assuming you work at cendant/wyndam or sitel. If you have a Doctors note about your problem, then your covered. I know when I was at cendant there were people just like you and I know they had extra time added by 10 mins of aux for washroom issues. So you can fight that.

Now for your schedule, Yes they can do that. Its perfectly legal. Its not consider a demotion. The thing is when you are 1st hired on you signed a paper stating that they can change your schedule as needed. It may not say exactly thoughs words, but something like that. If you signed, you have no case.
So request your file from HR and look through the papers you signed...its in there.

lizard_lover
12-21-2007, 02:16 PM
I work at Sitel...
They told me no doctor's note would do anything because they cannot change my thing every week of aux time, it is "too much hassle and not worth it" and I mean all my supervisors took it easy on me, except my new one.
It is not that they are changing my shift, it is the fact that if I am deathly ill and call in sick for a day, that puts me lower in the shift bid...meaning the difference between working my day shifts, and getting stuck on over nights...just because I was sick...that is not fair...

FutureChief88
12-21-2007, 02:21 PM
If it is so infested with fleas .. Have you condisered calling health and Safety? Are you allergic to fleas?

melissaanne
12-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Hmmm, the schedule thing. Ii may not be fair, but I don't think there is anything you can do.

Yeah it may not be fair that you get bumped down b/c you are sick, but then again it's not really fair to the person who didn't call in sick to get a worst shift than you.

Really Sitel is crap.(IMO anyways) I don't know what changes have been made since I was there ( when it was Client Logic) but there are a ton of better places out there to work that pay the same if not more than Sitel....I would honestly start looking for a new job if I were you.

lizard_lover
12-21-2007, 03:00 PM
I have called health and safety, and they said they would be inspecting later that day because it is a danger, but they never came and my work did nothing...no I am not allergic, but several of my co workers are.

lizard_lover
12-21-2007, 03:05 PM
I know it is not fair, but it all goes my metrics...if my quality and call time and everything else is the best on the whole campaign, then I should be able to pick the shift I want. It should not matter that I call in sick once in 7 months because I am sick...(which is what happened). So if I am the best agent, and all my metrics are the best, then I should not drop to 5th on the list because I call in sick once because I cannot even talk...

FutureChief88
12-21-2007, 03:09 PM
I would be calling them again.. EVERYDAY.. the unfortunate thing is.. especially when it comes to the government.. is that they are Slack. You have to keep on therm about everything.. just as if u were their babysitter! I wish you luck. I hope they do something.. Cause if it is infested with fleas.. Thats not cool for anyone!

Thats just like most places.. I know a guy who works at a place that has 10 days sick time.. But if they call in, they get written up. Second call is a verbal warning.. and third is fired .. I believe.. Its unfortunate that they work this way.. People get sick! Especially if you're in that kind of environment!

lemec
12-21-2007, 03:13 PM
I was a sup there and i could tell you some stories.....!!!!!!!! moved out west best decision i ever made

lizard_lover
12-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Yeah, in a building where people share desks, no ventilation, carpets have not been cleaned since they were put here, etc...you think we would be able to get sick! yeah, after 6 days it is verbal warning, 8 days I believe written, and 10 is fired...

lemec
12-21-2007, 03:55 PM
there wasn't an issue with fleas there when i was there just poor managment...

lizard_lover
12-21-2007, 04:43 PM
oh yeah, fleas are so terrible!!

t-bone
12-21-2007, 08:36 PM
what makes you think you can do anything to make them change?

it would probably be a lot easier to find another job than to try to turn a bad company into a good company. (same thing goes for guys!)

update your resume and get busy. it would be a better use of your time and efforts.

ceg
12-21-2007, 10:19 PM
The sick time there is much better than it used to be. When I was there a year ago we got 6 sick days.

mickeymouse
12-22-2007, 12:03 AM
I work there and never had any issues with fleas( I take off my shoes and my desk and never had a problem), and you are the first person I have heard this from. I have not been sick a day yet and I have been there for quite awhile. It honestly doesn't matter what call center or job you go to there is always people that have complaints about it. As for your bathroom issue, I honestly don't have that problem so I can't comment on it.

rhiley_08j
12-22-2007, 12:49 PM

it would probably be a lot easier to find another job than to try to turn a bad company into a good company. (same thing goes for guys!)

update your resume and get busy. it would be a better use of your time and efforts.

That's why people should really consider becoming organized and join a union. At least than if you had a grievance, you would have the means to arbitration and would not have to fear loosing your job.

melissaanne
12-24-2007, 09:32 AM
I get what you are saying about metrics and being the best agent, but in the grand scheme of things it a schedule for a month. I understand you were sick and it happens, but I think it's in place to discourage people from calling in sick unecessarily.

I work at a place where we have no say in out schedule, stats don't come into place when it come to our schedules. Last month I was 10-6, this month 830-430, next month who knows.....so at least you get the chance to bid.

As for the fleas it's gross. There were never any issues since I was there. I wouldn't go as far as saying the carpets haven't been cleaned since they were layed. Thet do have a cleaning crew. Maybe they just are not cleaned the best. Well obviously they are not, but have you got in contact with health and safety? that's the avenue I would persue.

lizard_lover
12-25-2007, 12:01 PM

Get another job? I have 14 months at this one, and benefits...I have to get glasses, and about 6000$ worth of dental work, and my work pays for 80% of that...and get a new job I get less benefits or have to wait another 6 months for them to kick in. Besides, giving up is not the way to go.

And yeah, there are fleas, my whole dept. gets them. Yeah, we have a cleaning crew, but even they admit the carpet has not been cleaned...

Yeah, ok I get it, I would understand if I called in sick all the time, but it was the first time in 7 months...I mean come off it. That should not put me down in the bid...

It just does not seem fair, and I could deal with that if I didnt have to deal with fleas, the water going off every now and again and having no toilets, and all that other crap...

melissaanne
12-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Well I honestly don't know what else to say. There are a pile of things in this life that are not fair, just depends what you feel like doing about it.

I'm sure you have signed something saying your schedule can change for any reason at all. Again, at least you get to bid!

I have to work boxing day, that's not fair to me.....but it's something I can deal with b/c I like my job. Honestly if it is such a bad place to you than why not go get a new job. Sure you've been there for awhile, benefits...whatever else you like about the place, but is it honestly enough to keep you in a place that is so dirty and unfair?

Get your glasses, get your dental work ( ps I am pretty sure you are still covered for 6 weeks after you quit) then go on your way. If that is not an option for you.....we have all given you plenty of avenues to explore.

No giving up is not the best avenue, but honestly a place like Sitel will never change. It was crap (IMO) when it was Client logic and as far as I can tell it's still crap ( again, IMO) Someone said somewhere on here, a company can only do so much. Sure they can fumigate, clean do whatever they need to do, but with 500+ people working in one place there are bound to be issues with germs and even fleas.

Call the labor board, call health and safety...contact the HR dept, even set up an appointment with the Gm of the centre, there are tons of things you can do if you want to try and change it.

Good luck and I hope you find something that works out for you!

t-bone
12-29-2007, 07:19 PM
if you are miserable at your place of work, take steps to get out of there.

not only will you be doing yourself a favour, you will also be doing your friends and family a favour. in addition, you will also be doing your employer a favour and all of their customers you come in contact with.

as a consumer, there is nothing worse than having to deal with an employee that obviously hates his or her job and their employer.

i am sure it is not much fun for your friends and family to see you miserable day after day. they want better things for you.

icedragon
12-30-2007, 10:02 AM
That's why people should really consider becoming organized and join a union. At least than if you had a grievance, you would have the means to arbitration and would not have to fear loosing your job.

Best idea so far. I will not work for a company unless the workers are represented by a union. The communication workers union is quite strong and they represent a lot of call centers.

lizard_lover
12-31-2007, 11:51 AM
Well I honestly don't know what else to say. There are a pile of things in this life that are not fair, just depends what you feel like doing about it.

I'm sure you have signed something saying your schedule can change for any reason at all. Again, at least you get to bid!

I have to work boxing day, that's not fair to me.....but it's something I can deal with b/c I like my job. Honestly if it is such a bad place to you than why not go get a new job. Sure you've been there for awhile, benefits...whatever else you like about the place, but is it honestly enough to keep you in a place that is so dirty and unfair?

Get your glasses, get your dental work ( ps I am pretty sure you are still covered for 6 weeks after you quit) then go on your way. If that is not an option for you.....we have all given you plenty of avenues to explore.

No giving up is not the best avenue, but honestly a place like Sitel will never change. It was crap (IMO) when it was Client logic and as far as I can tell it's still crap ( again, IMO) Someone said somewhere on here, a company can only do so much. Sure they can fumigate, clean do whatever they need to do, but with 500+ people working in one place there are bound to be issues with germs and even fleas.

Call the labor board, call health and safety...contact the HR dept, even set up an appointment with the Gm of the centre, there are tons of things you can do if you want to try and change it.

Good luck and I hope you find something that works out for you!

you complain about working boxing day? I had to work christmas eve, christmas day, boxing day, new years eve, and ney years day (tomorrow) so dont go there with me lol...

melissaanne
12-31-2007, 02:35 PM
you complain about working boxing day? I had to work christmas eve, christmas day, boxing day, new years eve, and ney years day (tomorrow) so dont go there with me lol...

I was simply explaing to you that there are tons of things with a job that suck. That's part of life and part of the job. I wan't complaining either, I was stating it was unfair to me, but I dealt with it b/c I like my job.

Again there are many avenues you can explore. You are obviously unhappy with you current situation and only you can change that.

P.S- I have to work today too (nye) and hubby works tomorrow...but again, all part of the job.