PDA

View Full Version : keep people working in Saint john

macjc
12-17-2007, 03:20 AM
Heres one for you all.

Why is it that we seem not to care if people are working or not. Keep them employed. Example. Why do people insist on using self check outs at the superstore. There would probabally be 3 job creations there that someone could be using their money to contribute into the community. Get parcel pick up. Make the big companies hire more people. we seem to think that we are inconviencing the big companies by making them service us better. Well they should. Just think how many jobs would be created if most of us did parcel pick up. Full service gas. Do not see that much anymore. we do all the work for them. Pay the extra $1.20 to fill up. based on 60l. lol. It seems quicker, you are going to say to to express check outs, because the line ups are longer in the other check outs, yes for now it is because they want to run lean companies, overwork their employees, they will do what the customer demands. DON'T USE THEM. you will see that they will hire more people to serve us just as quick as we do ourselves. It is not about being lazy. It is about job creation. Think about it give me soem thoughts. Have a nice day

sorry for picking on the grocery and gas chains. Any more examples on what we can do to make the big companies hire more people. spread the word.

dan j
12-17-2007, 08:03 AM
I don't use the self-serve at the grocery store because of the wait times. I'll wait longer to use the self-serve because I use the canvas bags and the girls/guys at the regular lines only put 2 or 3 items per bag when those things can be packed to the top. The workers also take forever to look up a code for the produce I get when I already know the code or read the code when I get the item and punch it in. So yeah, I agree with you on principle somewhat but I won't go to a person at the grocery store when they have the self-serve. I can do it more efficiently than the workers.

edit: Also, there is lots of work for people in the service industry right now. Pretty much anywhere you can think of is hiring right now. I don't expect that to stop anytime soon. If people want to keep the local economy going they could stop cross border shopping and shop at locally owned places when the situation allows.

wookiee
12-17-2007, 10:54 AM
I agree with Macjc. Its unfortunate. But really companies do this to save money on labour cost. Thats all it comes down too.

Now I have to disagree with DanJ on service. Maybe he is faster at them and knows the codes and such, but those self serves are terriible. Opps what I mean is, the people using them...they take there sweet time in doing it. slow. I still thinks its much faster going through the regualer checkouts.

dan j
12-17-2007, 12:42 PM
There are some really dense people who don't "get" the self-serve checkouts. I must be lucky as I often do not get a lineup when I get my groceries. Maybe my shopping schedule is out of wack with the schedules of other shoppers.

kaj27
12-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Think of it a different way.

Installing the automated checkouts creates jobs. Someone had to make it, now someone has to maintain it. Probably someone who has proper training and makes more money.

Win win. They got rid of a min wage job and hired someone costly.

lizard_lover
12-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Think of it a different way.

Installing the automated checkouts creates jobs. Someone had to make it, now someone has to maintain it. Probably someone who has proper training and makes more money.

Win win. They got rid of a min wage job and hired someone costly.

true, but. The person who maintains it is probably not full time hired at that specific store...they probably are employed by a company and paid to send someone to check it out once a week or when an issue occurs (well probably more like once a month but you get my drift) and It was probably made by a machine, and who ever installed it was probably someone who is paid to do the install at hundreds of stores, not a full time job for that one place...

kaj27
12-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Many local places fix machines just like that. I know many people that travel the maritimes to fix store machines.

trinity
12-18-2007, 05:01 PM
I prefer the self checkout because I want certain items packed together and it's always a struggle to get them to do it my way. I sometimes have to leave non perishable items in the car for another trip if what I bought is too heavy, and I don't like that they double bag my meat and cleaning products, it's a waste. I understand they have to do it for health and safety reasons, I DON'T. The other night I was at Value Village and was buying some cheap dishes. I said right out loud that THEY DON'T NEED TO BE INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED because I am just going up the road; the cashier took off and I thought she was out of cash register tape or something, nope, comes back with a stack of newspaper. I grabbed the bowls almost out of her hands and put them right in the bag and she said "O- KAY." I said again I was in a hurry and just driving up the road and didn't have the time to wait for her to wrap a dozen items.
As to "taking jobs away", there is a shortage of workers in this city for minimum wage jobs; they probably couldn't find enough cashiers to properly staff the store otherwise.

sanstu
12-18-2007, 06:05 PM
There are some really dense people who don't "get" the self-serve checkouts. I must be lucky as I often do not get a lineup when I get my groceries. Maybe my shopping schedule is out of wack with the schedules of other shoppers.

I agree, there are quite a few people that "don't get" the self- serve checkouts. For gosh sakes people, they are not there so your 4yr. old can ring in a cart load of groceries!!!!! Probably why I spend my money else where.(that and their customer service is horrible!)

baseball 23
12-19-2007, 09:40 AM
I like KAJ 27's way of thinking on this one. The person who made the machine is probably making 3-4 times as much as a cashier. Such is our technoligically inclined society, machines will forever be replacing humans, either get the skills to be the one making the machines, or servicing them, or selling them ect.. or get out of the way.

If it saves the company $, that's good, they are in a heated competition with Sobey's and the more they save, the lower their prices will go due to competition. lower their prices, the better for me and my family and i get to direct more of my hard earned pay to other wants. And that's fine by me! Competition, capitalism and ingenuity at its best!

kaj27
12-19-2007, 11:16 AM
I like KAJ 27's way of thinking on this one. The person who made the machine is probably making 3-4 times as much as a cashier. Such is our technoligically inclined society, machines will forever be replacing humans, either get the skills to be the one making the machines, or servicing them, or selling them ect.. or get out of the way.

If it saves the company $, that's good, they are in a heated competition with Sobey's and the more they save, the lower their prices will go due to competition. lower their prices, the better for me and my family and i get to direct more of my hard earned pay to other wants. And that's fine by me! Competition, capitalism and ingenuity at its best!

Perfection! Everything you said I agree with!!