PDA

View Full Version : new to rogers usage limit???

Woofer
12-14-2007, 01:55 PM
anyone know what happens if someone reaches their usage limit?

Zoitsa
12-14-2007, 01:59 PM
They'll used to send you a email to warn you first that may have changed. If you go way over they would suspend your account. or downgrade you to ultra lite. Ill find out more for you

Woofer
12-14-2007, 02:01 PM
ok thanks.

Zoitsa
12-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Ill be honest with that I have aliant and I love that there is no cap. I worked for Rogers for 6 years, and I always went over. They talked about charges but never really enforced them. They just say that so you don't go over in fear of being charged.
But 1 day they will just start billing everyone for the usage. you know what I mean. :)

kaj27
12-14-2007, 03:38 PM
I've used Rogers Hi-Speed for a while and I've used Aliant High Speed.

Rogers wins. You get more speed for your buck. I have never come close to going over my 'cap'.

You get roughly 60gb a month. If you can download that in one month then you need to start thinking about getting some fresh air.

Woofer
12-14-2007, 03:59 PM
have a nice weekend.

trinity
12-14-2007, 06:47 PM
I

You get roughly 60gb a month. If you can download that in one month then you need to start thinking about getting some fresh air.
Amen! :-) I didn't even know there WAS a cap because I never get even close to it, I presume.

mattpage84
12-14-2007, 08:16 PM
i go over mine quite frequently but i havent even gotten an email bout it let alone being charged for it

kerrym
12-14-2007, 08:32 PM
what is this about usage limit? im confused

dan j
12-15-2007, 07:24 PM
A lot of users will never come close to their limit and never really consider speed while using high speed from any company. However, for a small portion of users speed and download limits are very important.

Basically, if a user is into downloading and sharing music, TV, movies, and applications then it is possible that the user will go over a certain amount of data allowed by the ISP. If that happens, some ISPs will throttle (bring their speed down) the user for the hour, the day, the month, etc..

DSL providers have never had to deal with this limitation and instead deal with challenges on how to provide lots of bandwidth through a very small copper wire. Nowadays, an Aliant subscriber very close to the CO can easily do a download test on a random site available by Googling and get the advertised price or even above it. I have a friend across the street from the Duke St. CO who did a speed test and got around 5.2 mb/sec. The advertised speed is 5. In St John's, NL where they are doing trails of FTTN (fibre to the node) they are working with speeds of 15 mb/sec over DSL. Times are changing in the cable vs. DSL challenge.

mizunderstood
01-02-2008, 05:34 PM
I just talked to rogers about this the other day and what I was told is this:
They send you an email letting you know you are approaching your limit (when you have used about 80%).
When you 90% limit they drop you to ultra lite.
When you have hit that full limit they will completly shut you down until the end of that billing cycle. If this happens you can call them and get them to turn you back on but you pay 1.25 per Mb (?) (might have been Gig he told me I can't quite remember now) up to a limit of 200.00 a month. I was told they rarely enforce this as most people do not hit that limit on a monthly basis. The only one they do enforce the limit on is the Extreme PLUS (99.00 a month 18mb service).
I have a friend of mine who runs 4 computers 24/7 on a router and he never hits the 60 G limit. Hope that helps.

Freudian
01-02-2008, 06:31 PM
If a person was to download 1 full TV-Series, each file 350mb, 22 ep per season, 7 seasons, that would be 54 GB. Then assuming they are using a 'file sharing' method to download, they would also be uploading to multiple users parts of the files they were downloading. There's your 60.0 GB limit right there. Suppose someone downloads a few movies at 650mb-8.5GB each...

So you can see that going over the limit is totally possible. If someone was downloading that much, they would probably have Express (7.0 Mbps/512 kbps) or Extreme (8.0 Mbps/512 kbps)

mizunderstood
01-02-2008, 06:45 PM
WOW. That's a lot of downloading. I never thought of it like that. I never thought I could actually hit that limit.Though with Extreme the limit is 100G and Express is only 60G. That is a heck of a lot of downloadin'.

paak
01-07-2008, 01:46 AM
You can click "download" and still go outside for fresh air...you don't have to sit in front of the computer and watch it...once it starts, it goes all by itself ;)

chaisson9088
01-07-2008, 10:05 PM
i was downloading about 200gig a month and never seen anything from rogers or alliant, on a personal note, alliant has the better rate now, no fee for the modem and the new speedstreem from alliant is wireless and a hub all in one

nice

dan j
01-08-2008, 01:00 AM
i was downloading about 200gig a month and never seen anything from rogers or alliant, on a personal note, alliant has the better rate now, no fee for the modem and the new speedstreem from alliant is wireless and a hub all in one

nice

that modem actually does have a charge now unless you are an aliant tv or xbox customer. $2.95 per month.

chaisson9088
01-09-2008, 06:21 PM
never seen a charge yet, i pay a flat rate of 40 a month all inclusive???

dan j
01-09-2008, 06:35 PM
how long have you had it? customer who have always have it won't see a charge. if an existing customer doesn't have it but requests it or if a new customer requests it they will get charged unless of course they're a TV or Xbox customer.

BHLombardy
01-09-2008, 06:42 PM
You can click "download" and still go outside for fresh air...you don't have to sit in front of the computer and watch it...once it starts, it goes all by itself ;)

What would you know about fresh air, paak?? :rolleyes:

(kiddin') :)

-d.

BHLombardy
01-09-2008, 07:08 PM
From reliable sources, I've heard of people getting shut down on Rogers for over-usage... after warnings of course. But I have yet to hear or see anyone be billed for it.

A bit of history...
NBTel (now Aliant) tried this charge/megabyte crap on us back in the 90s when Vibe was HFC (Hybrid Fiber-coax -- you want to talk about speed then? WOW! Like being on a LAN from East Saint John to Gondola Point... but I digress...)

NBTel showed the usage charges on our monthly statements, but then creditted them back to us. Why?? Because the end user had no way to measure their own usage... thus he/she didnt know when to stop using it when charges began. Or moreover, even if you were willing to pay per megabyte over and above your limit, you still had no way of accurately knowing how much you were using to know how much it would cost you. If as a customer, you dont know how much you are using versus what you are being charged... you cannot be LEGALLY charged for it... plain and simple.

You buy gas by the litre? Your pump shows how much you have pumped, how much it is per litre, and calculates how much the total cost is going to be. -- Electricity? ... NBPower or SJ Energy charge you for how much you used. There is a meter on your house so you can read it yourself, and stop using electricity if you so desire (yea, right... but you see my point.) -- Same with metered water (not around here so much) but if you have municipal water, there is a meter on your house that you can use to determine how much water has been delivered to your house. -- Long distance calling or cellular airtime is measured by the minute, so anyone with a clock or a watch can measure their own usage... etc, etc, etc...

NBtel couldnt LEGALLY charge us the overage, because we had no way to self-meter our usage. This legal matter applies regardless if it is Rogers, Aliant, or any other metered service for that matter.

Until Rogers/Aliant provides the end user with a reliable standard for a metering tool to measure your data transfer/usage, they cant charge you for it even if they wanted to, or even if you were willing.

They are dealing with the 'heavy users' in a fair and just way... warn them, slow them down, then cut them off for not heeding the warnings.

-d.

BHLombardy
01-09-2008, 07:13 PM
More to that... if I am an unspecting customer...

1.) How do I know how much data a website contains before I decide to load it and visit it? after it's loaded and it puts me over my limit... but by then it's too late.

2.) Data sizes inflate every few months. Acceptable sizes of 5gb today could easily be 10gb in 6 months for the same type of file... How do these companies fairly adjust for that rate of inflation that the consumer has no control over?

3.) Even if there was even a metering tool in place, said meter would have to be infallable. -- How do they guarntee a tamper/hack-proof system? -- How do they handle disputes? -- (ie: if your meter differs from their meter, which one wins?)

In the 18 years since Vibe wanted to charge for metered service, no one has come up with a fair or infallable metering system. They arent about to invest in one now.
It's way too much cost of research and development and support to make it worth the while. Not to mention way too much hassle and possible conflicts for them to be concentrating their efforts on.

As I said earlier... the few 'heavy users' that are out there, are being dealt with fairly.

kaj27
01-09-2008, 09:51 PM
I miss the days of 20hrs of Dial-Up. For like $49.99.

technical_sneeze
01-11-2008, 03:51 PM
I've gone over my limit, it sucks, I have 2 PC's running 24/7, I play online games and download, and the roomie downloads, I went ummm let's see my bill...$5 over on my bill...lmao.. funny thing is..aliant was faster than roger's extreme package..and apparently 75% packetloss was "ok" since rogers will only escalate issues with speeds less than 1mb/s anything else is considered "ok" or so the 9th roger's tech support agent told me.

jdcb
01-12-2008, 10:38 PM
I had Rogers for like two weeks. Downloaded win2k service packs twice and played Halo online. I got disconnected and a message saying i was in the top 1% of users that used 5000% more bandwidth than the average user. I had them turn it back on promising to be better, and called Aliant within 5 minutes to get hooked up.

Never looked back, and I my speed is more stable.

kaj27
01-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Funny.

I have a Xbox, PC and laptop. The Xbox I play online, download demos and also use the Media Center Feature on it to get online shows, movies and the TV guide so I can cruise channels. I also use the PC to play games, download movies/TV shows/Music and surf. Finally my Girlfriend uses her laptop for almost all the same.

I never got any email, call or any message from Rogers about being close to the limit.

BHLombardy
01-13-2008, 04:14 PM
I had Rogers for like two weeks. Downloaded win2k service packs twice and played Halo online. I got disconnected and a message saying i was in the top 1% of users that used 5000% more bandwidth than the average user. I had them turn it back on promising to be better.

...I play (xbox) online, download demos and also use the Media Center Feature on it to get online shows, movies and the TV guide so I can cruise channels. I also use the PC to play games, download movies/TV shows/Music and surf. Finally my Girlfriend uses her laptop for almost all the same. -- I never got any email, call or any message from Rogers about being close to the limit.

I think the obvious differences here are probably how long ago jdcb's experience may have been... and also the difference in Rogers plans. The higher the plan, the more bandwidth you are let loose with.

I too have had both Aliant at one time, and currently I use Rogers. For me, it was about customer service, and grade of service. My experiences point to Rogers. I too run my Rogers service 24/7 for all kinds of things, including transferring and sharing torrent files, and downloading and uploading large files.

In fact, in just one day over the Christmas holidays, I downloaded over 9gb... and in that same week, it was close to 20gb in total. That isnt typical of me, but even so, I've never experienced a degragation in service, nor warnings, nor did my service stop. -- and I do not have their top-tier plan.

I think it was a matter of bad timing for jdcb, which is unfortunate... but we all have our favourite, and our reason for being on one provider (or not on one, as the case may be). Regardless, it's good that we split our business. It keeps competition up. :)

-d.

mattpage84
01-18-2008, 05:11 AM
Billing Period Download Usage (GB) Upload Usage (GB) Total Usage(GB)
Dec 11/07 - Jan 10/08 83 58 141
Service Includes (gbs) Extra Usage (GB) Extra Usage Charge
0 0 $0.00

this is my first months internet usage after having it disconnected an if they did nothing( its in a diff name so they think its a new account) after 141gbs dl in one by a "new" user i think u should be okay for the most part. an im only on the express package so i used double my limit plus 20 an im at close to the same already for this month with a few more days to go
https://your.rogers.com/images/blank.gifhttps://your.rogers.com/images/blank.gifhttps://your.rogers.com/images/blank.gifhttps://your.rogers.com/CustomerCare/UsageService/images/blank.gif

joey.jeremiah
02-24-2008, 09:02 PM
wait, if rogers would charge me 200 bucks a month for FULL unlimited on a 10mpbs plan, id pay it. sorry, i realize i dont have a life, but i download constantly. I shot through over 300gb last month without breaking a sweat