PDA

View Full Version : Rent apt, what to look for and some q.

Shrimpfan
12-10-2007, 01:14 AM
Hi,

I would like to hear from tenants about renting.
I am considering it myself and I am trying to find out how to deal with it and have some questions.

Can anyone give me an idea how much utilities cost monthly on average.
I just need a ballpark, I assume most apts heat on hydro??

What about tenants ins, how much is it for the SJ area?

Now before going to hunt and look at places, what should a tenant be looking for before making a decision to pick the apt?
Does anyone have a list of items that should be checked in order to pick an apt?

Thanks

Chinna Dah
12-10-2007, 06:44 AM
Well I rented a 2 bedroom apt for 8 years I paid 375.00 then by the time I left it was at 410.00 per month( only raised rent by 35.00 in 8 years), I had an apartment size washer and dryer so no special hook ups were needed. I also had 2 pc's running and I had a small freezer. on average my heat/light bill in late spring/summer/early fall was about 70.00 to 110.00per month. In the winter it would climb anywhere from 250.00 to 290.00 per month.Also if it is oil heat and you have to pay that yourself a barrel of oil cost about 800 or 900 bucks now.

While we were there she had all new windows and doors put in also. She had great pride in her buildings.

I had rentals ins, and I had 1 million coverage for the property ( there were 4 units) in case I caused the fire, that would cover me for the lawsuits from the owner as well as the other tenants, and I had 80,000 coverage for personal belonging. I paid 74.00 per month. You can get less than that, but I like to have my butt covered just in case.

My landlord was awesome, she let me paint the walls any color I choose, and I did not have to get permission ( that was important to me). also I changed the flooring in the bathroom, I gave her the reciepts and she paid me back.We also changed the locks and she paid us back for that too.

We had a small mold problem, when we notified her she had a worker come in and tore the gyproc down put up new insulation/vapor barrier/and drywall, and tore up the carpet in case the spores were in that also.

As for a list of items, if you are paying your own heat, take a good look at the windows, if they are old you will pay more for heat. Take a really good look at the rental agreement (lease) before you sign it, and do not go for a 1 year lease, keep it to a month by month lease as things can change in life quickly.
Off street parking is always best, find out who shovels or plows.

that is all I can think of right now.

Mandi
12-10-2007, 07:27 AM
and don't believe a land lord when they say they're 'going' to fix things up... likely they will... when the apartment goes empty for long enough that it lights a fire under their butts. you HAVE to like your landlord. it's pretty necessary. My last land lord was an indecisive tool, who moved from the apartment to one with his girl friend, they broke up, and he kicked us, a family of four with a two month old baby out. It was easier for him. just make sure the landlord isn't the kind to cut corners, because as weird as it seems, they don't have to answer to the rentals man. Tenants actually have to do what should be the rentals mans job. All they're good for is deciding where the damage deposit goes. Good Luck!

lizard_lover
12-10-2007, 09:40 AM
I agree, if you pay your own heat, make sure they are newer windows with no breeze, and if they are older see if your landlord will put up those plastic things over the windows as they are expensive if you have many windows...
And with mandi, totally make sure you relate with your landlord...moving out of my first apt. was heck! He was a stinking liar, never submitted my damage deposit to the rentalsman, and then said I never paid it to him and demanded I pay for the hole he put in the wall... so keep your receipts as well...Just make sure you are comfortable. Even if it seems like the perfect apt, make sure you analyze it.

rhiley_08j
12-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Another tip, make sure that you get a receipt for any deposit you make, and than verify that it has been submitted to the Rentalsman. You can also check with the Rentalsman to see if that particular landlord has complaints filed against them.

Nail
12-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Windows are important. Make sure there is no draft and also make sure there is no water damage around the window.

Look for water damage on the ceiling (brown spots/peeling paint).

Water damage in bathroom (cracked tubwall, general grossness on bathroom fixtures) can lead to mold/mildew which makes you sick.

Water = Bad in an apartment. Being warm is important, but having all your stuff ruined by water can be just as bad. There are LOTS of great apartments for rent with the heat included in the rent. I would HIGHLY recommend getting an apartment with heat included.

shep
12-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Another tip, make sure that you get a receipt for any deposit you make, and than verify that it has been submitted to the Rentalsman. You can also check with the Rentalsman to see if that particular landlord has complaints filed against them.

Submit it to the rentalsman yourself. There is no need for the landlord to do it.

KRS
12-12-2007, 08:05 AM
Make sure the kitchen is big. Small kitchens suck..the kitchen will make the apartment.

Check the electrical outlets.
Check the cupboards.

If you are lucky, you might be able to find a top-floor apartment. These are nice for the winter time because heat rises and may save you a buck or two.

Chinna Dah
12-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Sorry I have a correction. my rentals insurance was only 40.00 per month, not 74.00.

Shrimpfan
03-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Sorry for bringing this thread up, but I thought it woudl be better to continue the discussion on this thread instead of starting a new one.

I thank for all the tips they are great and will help me.
A few more questions:

- What is this rentalsman and how can I contact them?
- What is the general consensus about heat, includ it in the rent or not?
- Is there an area in Saint John that should be avoided?

rhiley_08j
03-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Sorry for bringing this thread up, but I thought it woudl be better to continue the discussion on this thread instead of starting a new one.

I thank for all the tips they are great and will help me.
A few more questions:

- What is this rentalsman and how can I contact them?
- What is the general consensus about heat, includ it in the rent or not?
- Is there an area in Saint John that should be avoided?

If you can get an apartment with heat included, by all means.

As for the rentalsman they are set up to enforce the New Brunswick residential tenancies act. Their number is in the blue pages.

As for an area to avoid. It all depends on who you ask. To each his own. Personally, I don't like living in the city, would much rather prefer to live in a rural area. Many would say that the safest areas are either East or West, but that can be disputed depending on the area. I think that crime can happen no matter what community you live in, and as for raising children in an area that all depends on a parents ability to rear their children.

patbez
03-15-2008, 05:56 PM
We've been renting for 8 years here in SJ, in two seperate apartments.

I think everyone has their own taste on what to look for in an apartment...for example, this is what WE personally look out for:

- Hardwood floors [I feel carpet holds dust & dirt]
- Heat included [just makes life easier in my opinion]
- Hot water heat or other [found electric was VERY drying]
- Smaller buildings, quaint buildings, not high rises or anything
- Uptown. We would never live east or in any other area really
- No rodents. A lot of buildings have mice, so make sure everything is sealed.
- Good long term neighbors. Ask how long others in the building have lived there or even go back & knock on doors & ask what it's like to live there/what the landlord is like.
- Clean building in general. If the inside of a building [entrance/halls] is kept up, there's a good chance repairs are done in a timely fashion & apartments will be well maintained.

& looks on the outside of a building can be deceiving. We came to look at the apartment we're in now & basically did not want to step foot in the building because it just isn't the prettiest. Once we came inside, we were astonished. HUGE apartment, our own private entrance, gorgeous backyard, big rooms, huge kitchen, heat included, parking etc. The list went on & on...& the price was better than right. Our landlords left it empty for a month for us & we got to bring stuff little by little. They were real sweethearts [new owners now though].

But yes...you have to think about what's important to you & don't give up the search & settle for something you don't initially like, because flaws in a place become even more apparent & annoying the longer you live there.

AreWeThereYetMom
03-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Most definitely check the windows, fire exits, smoke detectors and signs of rodents & water damage/mold.

Bring a flashlight with you to check the closets and cupboards!.. Wish I had done that years ago when picking a few places.

Landlords can be very deceiving and often won't tell you why the previous tenants left. In one experience, I went with a friend to look at some places. Landlord said there were never mice problems in his apartments, until on one apartment I went with her to look at, had an extreme amount of mice droppings under the cupboards shoved into the corner - he pretended to be surprised :mad: then soon after I discovered that this 'multi building owner' landlord isn't the best to deal with when it comes to some north end locations.
So glad she didn't take the place and that we checked with some people before any decisions were made to consider him as a landlord.

http://www.gnb.ca/cnb/news/jus/2004e0552ju.htm
This link will save landlords and tenants time, effort and money when dealing with the rentalsman.

Here's the list of forms - https://www.pxw1.snb.ca/snb7001/e/2000/2227e.asp
I highly recommend them for anyone!! Especially for those not understanding your rights as a tenant or how the landlord can serve notice. There's a standard lease form, an accommodation inspection report, security deposits, notices, repairs and more.

Shrimpfan
03-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Hi,

I thank all for the good bits of info, it is of a great help.

i just wanted to ask another question:

- If you had a choice between two apts, basically the same layout and features but one is located on the first floor near the entrance and the other on the second floor, which one is preferable?
Oh yeah the heat and hot water is included in the rent.
Thanks.

nadia.m.
03-20-2008, 12:09 PM
I personally feel safer being on the second floor, away from ground floor windows.

jennifer25ca2006
03-20-2008, 12:31 PM
I find that ground floors are not good. I would perfer to be on the second floor. Depending on where you are at there is some parts of town that are safer then others. I would choose the second floor anywhere.

rhiley_08j
03-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Depends on how much stuff you have, and whether or not you're the one moving the stuff in, LOL. I hate stairs!!!!:rofl:

Shrimpfan
03-22-2008, 10:55 PM
I was told that there is a place that can be used to find out how much hydro is used, is this true and how can I verify that?

Doesnt it make more sense to rent unheatd than heated?
From what I've seen during my search that 2bedroom apt's unheated can be had in the range of $450-$500 while heated it's $600 upwards.
And this does not include hydro usage which would be the same.

So we are looking at a difference of $100 or more just in the rent.
Interesting.

Hmmm, is it realistically possible to heat a 2 bedroom apartment for less than $900/year?

Chinna Dah
03-23-2008, 07:56 AM
Well let me tell you. I rented the same 2 bedroom for 8 years. In the spring summer and early fall, my heat and light would run me around 70.00 to 110.00 per month. Late Dec, Jan, Feb, and March It reached as high as 290.00.

So No, you could not heat a 2 bedroom for less than 900.00 per year. The winter months alone wil cost you about 1000.00.