PDA

View Full Version : My garbage woes are solved

sarahnb
12-05-2007, 08:58 AM
New trash plan begins on July 1
Environment Strategy would reduce garbage going to landfill and could save $300,000 a year
Print this ArticleEmail this ArticleComments | 0Resize TextBookmark this ArticleFacebookDiggStumble Upondel.icio.usLive BookmarkTechnoratiTOOL HELPJohn Mazerolle
Telegraph-Journal
Published Wednesday December 5th, 2007
Appeared on page C1
SAINT JOHN - The city government is revamping the way it deals with Saint John's garbage in hopes of saving $300,000 a year by 2012 and making citizens more trash-conscious.

Paul Groody, commissioner of operations and engineering, says the new plan will work to make the city's trash pickup, recycling, and composting more efficient and effective, while educating (and eventually punishing) those who abuse the system.

The new plan, slated to begin on July 1 next year, will still receive feedback from the public and be debated in its finer points by common council, but has five distinct goals, as outlined in a report that Groody presented to council Monday. They are:

* Increase the amount of tonnage diverted to blue bins by 100 tonnes each year.

* Reduce the amount of residential garbage by 250 tonnes each year (The city collects about 12,800 tonnes annually).

* Deliver 10 school education programs each year.

* Demonstrate a two per cent improved cost per household from year to year.

* Service collection routes to be completed within an eight-hour work shift at least 95 per cent of the time.

Besides reducing environmental damage, the plan should decrease costs to the city, Groody believes, with a budget goal of approximately $3.7 million in 2012, as opposed to a $4 million cost if the city continues on its current path.

The report includes multiple connections to the city's Vision 2015 project, including the city's recently adopted sustainability principles, the need for ongoing public consultations, and a profile of the city's waste management service.

Coun. Glen Tait, the councillor in charge of that project, lauded the plan as the first example of Vision 2015's tangible results.

"This is the meat and potatoes," he said. "Now we can start to really see what it's all about and understand it. Service standards, we have in front of us, goals, performance measures, more efficient and cost effective ways to provide the services."

Groody stressed repeatedly the need for the community to buy into the city's plan by recycling and composting more, not putting out bulky items during normal pickup, and wiping out illegal dumping. Certain Saint Johners "are hurting people and the environment, and they are an unnecessary burden on taxpayers," Groody said.

He and council both stressed that if residents need help with their garbage, they can call the city at 658-4455 to find out what to do.

The plan includes new, two-week collection cycles for 21,749 households, with weekly pickup for 3,858 households in so-called vulnerable neighbourhoods, where people are poorer, residences are smaller, and population density is higher. Compost pickup would happen the same day.

Council voted in favour of the staff report, but will likely debate some of the finer points, including the weekly service in poor neighbourhoods.

Coun. Peter McGuire and Deputy Mayor Michelle Hooton both welcome the extra service, while Tait and Coun. John Ferguson had concerns that could be seen as unfair.

Groody stressed that weekly pickup in poorer neighbourhoods is not meant to be permanent.

Council members are also likely to debate who is eligible to receive service from the city. Staff are recommending that home-based businesses remain ineligible for pickup, but some councillors believe it makes economic sense to offer it to them or that it's unfair to the owners.

Groody said it would increase the costs of the plan and "open a sizeable can of worms," especially because other businesses will complain.

The plan includes a number of future possibilities as well: night pickup (to be piloted in the South End); automated waste collection, where the truck, rather than the workers, does the lifting (to be piloted in Lakewood, Champlain Heights, and Westgate), and bag limits, proposed for 2009.

"The introduction of such limits is essential if the notion of sustainability is to become a reality - something more than simply rhetoric and motherhood," Groody's report reads.

Looks like they will be implementing waste carts similar to the green carts for compost. ABOUT TIME!!!!!! NS and PEI use them and very few issues with animals and messy garbage piles.
It also says that if the community doesn't do its share, a user-pay system might be necessary to ensure that irresponsible "cost-causers" pay more.

The city's garbage pickup is done by both public and private workers. About 80 per cent of the pickup is done by 11 municipal employees, using eight city vehicles.

The plan calls for a slight increase in the work done by private contractors.

rhiley_08j
12-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Darn, I was hoping you were going to say that garbage was going to be picked up once a week again. LOL

sarahnb
12-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Sorry. If everyone were composting and recycling properly there wouldn't be a need for weekly pick up. I'll be thrilled when this new plan is implemented. maybe they could go one step further and pick up recycling?

rhiley_08j
12-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Sorry. If everyone were composting and recycling properly there wouldn't be a need for weekly pick up. I'll be thrilled when this new plan is implemented. maybe they could go one step further and pick up recycling?

You might be right, when it comes to the average household, but when you have a large family, 2 weeks doesn't come soon enough.

FutureChief88
12-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Especially when you missed Gargabe day cause of the snow:(
I thought they would be later !

rhiley_08j
12-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Especially when you missed Gargabe day cause of the snow:(
I thought they would be later !

I hear ya, than your stuck with a month's worth of garbage to take out on garbage day. Man does that ever suck.:(

FutureChief88
12-05-2007, 12:00 PM
i KNOW!
ugh.. plus a cat that gets into everything.. Im scared itll draw mice. The weird thing is.. they were by twice.. I saw them the first time.. and hollared for the the second time to wait forme.. and they didnt hear.. so they left..
Plus i am pregnant and dont need to be falling down stairs.. lol

sarahnb
12-05-2007, 12:22 PM
I was just discussing this with a friend this morning. She has 4 kids and just put out their 1 bag of waste for the week. they live in the south end and I believe have pick up every week. her neighbor has 8 bags of waste and most have 4-5. So if a family of 6, with three under the age of 6 can reduce their waste, why can't others? It's not that hard to recycle.
Maybe we could all share some recycling tips?

FutureChief88
12-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Well I recycle.. Plastic and compost and I live in the north end and pickup is every 2 weeks.. Because compost if the weeks in between. And i still have 4 bags of garbage.

sassysomers
12-05-2007, 12:40 PM
re-use, re-use, re-use!!

FutureChief88
12-05-2007, 12:51 PM
which i do. i wash out any reusable ziplock bags, as long as they werent packing meat, and i eve wash out and recycle old milk bags. Any piece of plastic, at all!
Here i am defending myself.. when there is no need to.. lol

rhiley_08j
12-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Somebody want to do my composting for me, because I can't stand having that little green bin in the house, it attract flies, and if I put it in the green bin in the alley, the neighbour complains about the flies. It's biodegradible, when it goes to the dump, it eventually composts. As for the rest of the stuff, if you can't reuse it, and it's not compostible, than it ends up in the garbage anyway.

Chinna Dah
12-05-2007, 05:07 PM
I do not recycle. I do not compost. I do however have an average load of 8 bags of garbage every 2 weeks, and it is just me and my husband. My mom usually has 4 or 5 and she is all by herself, with her cat. she will not compost or recycle either.

I called the composting place and told them I needed the little bin and the big bin, when I was in my apartment, I told them the address, and they said they already droped off 2 bins there. I said yes, but there are 4 apartments here and I didnt get one, they said sorry but our building has enough, so i said screw you, I am not composting then. they told me to use an ice cream container. I said nope, give me what is suppose to be supplied, and they still refused.

I was at one time years and years ago, recycling pop cans, and bottles and taking them for my 5 cent refund, I had about 10 garbage bags, stored in my basement, so I took them in, and got a whopping 17 bucks. What a waste of time. I ended up with a billion fruit flies in my basement, and never did it again. In the garbage they go.

Ya I know someone will yell at me, and tell me how I am killing our planet and blah blah blah..I dont care, so save it.

rhiley_08j
12-05-2007, 05:28 PM
I do not recycle. I do not compost. I do however have an average load of 8 bags of garbage every 2 weeks, and it is just me and my husband. My mom usually has 4 or 5 and she is all by herself, with her cat. she will not compost or recycle either.

I called the composting place and told them I needed the little bin and the big bin, when I was in my apartment, I told them the address, and they said they already droped off 2 bins there. I said yes, but there are 4 apartments here and I didnt get one, they said sorry but our building has enough, so i said screw you, I am not composting then. they told me to use an ice cream container. I said nope, give me what is suppose to be supplied, and they still refused.

I was at one time years and years ago, recycling pop cans, and bottles and taking them for my 5 cent refund, I had about 10 garbage bags, stored in my basement, so I took them in, and got a whopping 17 bucks. What a waste of time. I ended up with a billion fruit flies in my basement, and never did it again. In the garbage they go.

Ya I know someone will yell at me, and tell me how I am killing our planet and blah blah blah..I dont care, so save it.

HOW DO YOU THROW AWAY 5 CENTS? Don't you know there are people starving that could use that 5 cents. LOL

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the Knowledge to know the difference."

trinity
12-05-2007, 09:07 PM
1. Call Fundy Recycling again- harass them. I called when I moved South and didn't have any, small or large, and they expressed reluctance to give me one because they said "People in the South End don't know how to use them right." I got one anyway, after making it clear I wasn't taking no for an answer.

2. I get no smells from mine, I use BioSolo bags in them. The only time I smell it is when I open it and it goes away again when I close the lid. I also get no flies indoors because of my compost bucket. Flies are going to happen anyway outdoors.

3. I was leaving my bottles outside in a clear bag or box for someone to take; I was approached one day as I was putting them out by an older man who I had seen digging bottles out of trash cans uptown and he asked me if I had many bottles very often, I have an arrangement with him now that I leave them in my porch and he comes by once a week and takes them. Win win situation, he gets a little cash, I get my bottles recycled.

FutureChief88
12-06-2007, 08:01 AM
HOW DO YOU THROW AWAY 5 CENTS? Don't you know there are people starving that could use that 5 cents. LOL

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the Knowledge to know the difference."

LOL! :rofl:

Crystalbeach
12-06-2007, 08:08 AM
We spend our summers in Queens County and they are on the blue & green bag systems..I like it so much better than those big carts..

Mandi
12-06-2007, 08:22 AM
1. Call Fundy Recycling again- harass them. I called when I moved South and didn't have any, small or large, and they expressed reluctance to give me one because they said "People in the South End don't know how to use them right." I got one anyway, after making it clear I wasn't taking no for an answer.

2. I get no smells from mine, I use BioSolo bags in them. The only time I smell it is when I open it and it goes away again when I close the lid. I also get no flies indoors because of my compost bucket. Flies are going to happen anyway outdoors.

3. I was leaving my bottles outside in a clear bag or box for someone to take; I was approached one day as I was putting them out by an older man who I had seen digging bottles out of trash cans uptown and he asked me if I had many bottles very often, I have an arrangement with him now that I leave them in my porch and he comes by once a week and takes them. Win win situation, he gets a little cash, I get my bottles recycled.

That's a really awesome 'deal'! I use to put my bottles out separately from my garbage in a clear bag because I had no desire to go to the exchange. And if you're getting fruit flies in y our bottles, you're not rinsing them out good enough. :rolleyes:
I wish they did pick up the compost in the South end. We're not all stupid, and some of us *do * know how to compost. (ie, read the lid....)

jeffwilson0
12-06-2007, 09:48 PM

That is a lot. My wife and I use our small compost (green) bin for food, or whatever is compostable and when that is full we tie it up and put it in the big green bin outside, the rest goes in the garbage. Our Newspapers go in a separate box, cardboard is separate again, and bottles have their own garbage can. This does take up a bit of space, but it's out in the gargage, so it's not in our way.

We have on average 1 bag of garbage every 2 weeks, and half a compost bin full. The papers, and cardboard get taken to the blue bins at Sobey's in Grand Bay as I am there to go to Tim's almost every day anyway. My wife takes the bottles back once a month on average. We have no flies as everything is sealed, or rinsed out. This I would estimate takes a whopping 3 minutes out of my day to do, it's not hard. However, if I lived in an apartment and didn't have 2 vehicles, it might be another story.

rhiley_08j
12-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Since this is a post about garbage, I figured I would take the time to thank my garbage man. They deserve some gratitude once in a while.

Today was garbage day and I had my average of about 15 garbage bags, and I had forgotten it was garbage day until I heard the garbage truck 2 doors down. I ran out thinking if I don't get it out now than I'll be stuck with a months garbage by the time the next garbage day rolls around. So when he pulled up I didn't even have a bag out and I asked him if he would wait a few minutes while I brought my garbage out to the curb. Not only did he wait but he came into the alley and helped me bring the bags out.

For this I am grateful to the garbage man. Never thought I'd say that. (LOL) :D

Intrepid
12-06-2007, 10:37 PM
Since this is a post about garbage, I figured I would take the time to thank my garbage man. They deserve some gratitude once in a while.

Today was garbage day and I had my average of about 15 garbage bags, and I had forgotten it was garbage day until I heard the garbage truck 2 doors down. I ran out thinking if I don't get it out now than I'll be stuck with a months garbage by the time the next garbage day rolls around. So when he pulled up I didn't even have a bag out and I asked him if he would wait a few minutes while I brought my garbage out to the curb. Not only did he wait but he came into the alley and helped me bring the bags out.

For this I am grateful to the garbage man. Never thought I'd say that. (LOL) :D

This is relevant :rofl: :

http://www.youtube.com/v/Ckf4pOV1Hmg

It's a tribute to garbagemen from The Simpsons :)