PDA

View Full Version : Cat problem, Any ideas?

icedragon
01-14-2007, 08:45 AM
I have a problem with my fat cat. He is 2 or 3 I can't remember and he is fixed. So the problem is he sometimes randomly pees in places where pee is not suppose to go instead of the litter box. Maybe once or twice a week. The litter box is cleaned daily and is never in bad shape. This just started happening when we moved here and never happened before. He co-habitates with another cat. An 18 year old some kind of cat.(seal point something) Anyway the fat cat with the pee problem has become very very aggressively protective of the food supply as well. We have those atuomatic feeders and they have never run dry. They have lived together since he was a kitten and like I said, there was never a problem until we moved here. Anyone have any ideas on what his problem might be and any idea on how to correct it? Thanks for reading.

puppyluv
01-14-2007, 04:00 PM
If the people there before you let their cat pee in those spots, the smell will eventually come out and the cat will try and cover it with their scent to claim lay..
also, feed them in a diff room, and I would say use a bowl..since fat cat doesnt need any extra weight...the seperate room will help with the issues of aggression..and as a thought, have you had fatcat checked out to see why he is being aggressive about food etc/ He may need a checkup

user5624
01-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Definately sounds like a territory issue. Puppyluv's right, the tenants before you probably had cats. They may have eliminated in those spots. And as puppyluv said, you may want to get him checked out. Maybe it's a urine infection or something. Otherwise probably territory issues and adjustment to a new location.

icedragon
01-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Thank you for your responses. Your advice is well recieved. I know nothing of the past tennants but it makes sense.Is there anything I could spray around to prevent this? I have attempted your idea about the food in a bowl and in another room. At first, I gave them each their own bowl. Even wrote their names on it with a marker knowing full well that cats can't read but just maybe by some grim hope the fat cat might realize only one dish was his.(by reading the dishes i guess) This experiment has failed. He sniffed out her food. So I locked the food dishes in another room. I have put them in the room one at a time to eat. The problem now is the 18 year old cat was free-fed her whole life and now refuses to eat when I put her in the "eating room" Aka my computer room. Also I found out the hardway that the fat cat can open the cupboard door. A feat I have never seen a cat do before. He got into the cupboard the purple pouch food is in and chewed apart 4 pouches. (they get both pouch and the normal food) I think he is pissed off at me. My wife is taking him to the vet but in the meantime I will try to get the old cat to eat but if she doesn't I will have to put it back the way it was. When the old cat is gone, We can better control the food he eats. How long do cats live anyway?

toodles
01-15-2007, 07:32 PM
sometime too long lol.. just joking!!! my cat toodles, she feds herself, yes she can open any kind of bag. My daughter use to work in a pet store,and she brought home treat bags,and toodles had them open. She uses her teeth and paws and opens the treats, the hard food i only give her once in a while, and she opens cupboards, bedroom doors,she is driving me crazy!!!!!!!! she is so independed!!!! they only thing she can't do is open her can food, but if i give her enough time i am sure she will learn how to pull back the tabs.
If her litter box is not clean enough for her, she stands in front of it, snifs it, she looks like she hold her breath to get into it lol , i caught her trying to open her kitty liter bag the other day, so i guess it was time to change her box. lol