PDA

View Full Version : Volunteer in Ecuador

lizard_lover
11-30-2007, 04:31 PM
I have been speaking back and forth with a representative for a volunteer program inside of Ecuador...i am looknig to spend 3 weeks there doing some wildlife research, wildlife rehabilitation, and construction of necessary buildings...and possibly some teaching...
The program will cost about 2000$, plus my airfare, visa, and other preparations.
They allow us to do fundraising to pay for these costs...and it goes to a good cause. So I will be starting soon to make crafts, cards, and possibly some form dinner fundraiser, if I can get the space to do so...I am just wondering if anyone would contribute to this, or do the dinner...or am I jsut wasting my time to raise money to perform such a good cause?
(I can give proof that I am raising it for this reason...documentaion wise and what not)

RCfan
12-04-2007, 01:16 PM
It sounds like a great idea. But that 2000 + dollars could help people right here in your own city. Just an option. Maybe you already help people here I don know. It would be cool do go there though.

je12122
12-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Yes I agree, though i think it would be great to go I would rather donate money to people in our city that really need it, especially for the holidays and stuff.

Sorry, wish you luck though!

lizard_lover
12-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Ok...so people in our city that are fully able to get a job, (we have enough jobs available) and all that are more worthy for money and donations than someone in a foreign country who's destiny was pre-determined by rich countries (The United States and Canada, for example)...after all we need poor people to have what we have...I just don't understand....they have literally nothing...no jobs, no food...nothing

lizard_lover
12-04-2007, 02:39 PM
And yes, I do donate to charities here in Saint John

dan j
12-05-2007, 12:46 AM
Sometimes people who "have nothing" actually have all they need. There are a lot of poor people in different countries but not as much poverty as you'd think. However, I've seen poverty and when it does occur it is far more severe than anything you could ever imagine in SJ. That said, a couple things strike me as odd about this program given the limited information you've presented.

Why does it cost money above the costs of getting there, having a place to sleep, and being there legally? $2000 is a lot of money, especially in a country like Ecuador. You'd probably do their economy better by just going there on your own and spending that much money in their local economy in 3 weeks. You'd probably find it almost impossible to spend that much in 3 weeks there but you could try.

What is the background of the organization that you would be working for? Are they a non-catholic organization? I have a problem with other religions going to Latin America and doing their "work" when they have such a strong history of their own native religions mixed with catholicism.

However, volunteering in another country will present you with great opportunities to learn about other cultures, learn another language, and to meet some great people.

Honestly, I would not support someone trying to raise money for such a thing. Really, if I were you, I'd look into ways that are not so expensive for you and go on your own to Ecuador or whatever other country you want to go to and spend your money wisely in the local economy that also doesn't damage the local ecology.

sarahnb
12-05-2007, 06:32 AM
Or invest the money in an organization such as KIVA http://kiva.org You are loaning money to an entrepreneur to start a business and get their family out of poverty. When the money is paid back, something like 98% of loans are repaid in fulll, it is then available to lend to someone else. The people the money is loaned to, empowered because someone has invested in them and they make their business succeed.

wookiee
12-05-2007, 07:54 AM
some of you on Isaint john need to listen up. That guy was asking a simple question and then you start suggestning what he should be doing. Its not your place to do so. He wanted to know if he is wasting his time trying to do a fund raiser to raise money to go to a poor country and help out there.

Dan J: Poverty in SJ? what? in the words of The_Dave..."its there choice".
There are lots of jobs here and have been for a awhile. The guy wasn't looking for a lecture on poverty and religion.
Oh...it is very expensive to go to other country's to help BTW
At least he is doing something to help others!

The point is people....yes its great to help out people in your City 1st, Which lizzard stated he did and then 2 poeple come out and say what he should do with the money still.

Don't knock what somebody is doing to help others out, regardless of where the help goes to. I'm pretty sure a simple answer of yes or no would have done and a reason for why not maybe to support his fundraiser.

Lizard: Good for you and I hope it works out. Other people in other country's need way more help then the people in SJ or Canada alone.

Peace be upon you!

lee
12-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Your making Food Cards and Crafts, Of Course I will buy some.
your not asking for free money, your earning it, Let me know where your setting up shop, I will stop by, Good Luck!!

FutureChief88
12-05-2007, 10:15 AM
I dont mean to sound mean or whatnot.. but i would provide money to provide them with some sort of contraceptive. I mean, if these places are so horrible, which i believe they most certainly are, then why are these people allowed to continue to have children. I suppose because they dont have any sort of healthcare like we do.. and whatnot, But something should be put in place so that women could take some sort of contraceptice, so they stop having children into families that cannot afford it. Sorry my 2 cents.

But to answer your original post Lizard.. I most certainly would support someone who is going out of their way to help others! No matter which country you are doing it in!

ksbeckaa
12-05-2007, 10:28 AM
not allowing birth is a death sentence to that society and borders on eugenics.

Controlling the birth rate is something important, but elimintating it is something else.

FutureChief88
12-05-2007, 11:04 AM
not allowing birth is a death sentence to that society and borders on eugenics.

Controlling the birth rate is something important, but elimintating it is something else.

Well i didnt say eliminate it.. It needs to be controlled! Most everyone in that country has at least 1 child. I can only afford 2 children.. MAX.. so that i what i am going to have. Places like that dont have welfare for families that continue to have children that they cannot support, so therefore something should be made availble for women who would like to control their contribution to the population. there is no need for families to be having 6-10 children. It is just increasing an already struggling population.

rhiley_08j
12-05-2007, 11:08 AM
I can't believe some of the comments that I have read in this post. What happened to empathy for others? Now, it's more like what about me, or us, first. It's just shows the moral decline of society when someone comes on here looking for assistance with a worthy cause, and is put down for it because they are not concentrating there efforts on us (here).

Do we not live in a rich country, that has many, many, many, social programs that help out those in need (and yes even those who know how to abuse the system)? What about those people in third world countries that are never given the opportunity, and don't even know that one exists? Have some empathy towards your fellow man. What if that was you that was born into that economy? It could have been. All that I am saying is that maybe people shouldn't take for granted what they have, and realize that you could be a lot worse off.

I think that anyone that is trying to put someone else ahead of themself should be commended, no chastised.

sassysomers
12-05-2007, 12:53 PM
or am I jsut wasting my time to raise money to perform such a good cause?

any attempt to help someone in need is definitely NOT a waste of time...good luck and i commend you on your efforts!!

lizard_lover
12-05-2007, 03:16 PM
I dont mean to sound mean or whatnot.. but i would provide money to provide them with some sort of contraceptive. I mean, if these places are so horrible, which i believe they most certainly are, then why are these people allowed to continue to have children. I suppose because they dont have any sort of healthcare like we do.. and whatnot, But something should be put in place so that women could take some sort of contraceptice, so they stop having children into families that cannot afford it. Sorry my 2 cents.

But to answer your original post Lizard.. I most certainly would support someone who is going out of their way to help others! No matter which country you are doing it in!

wow...this for one thing is a disgrace on you. What do you think we were brought onto this earth to do? It definetely was not for us to sit in front of tv's on birth control...we are here to reproduce...but that is not even the topic here...

I am going to stick with my idea. Even if I have to save all the money up myself, which I could not say about those of you who put it down. And yeah, it does cost that much for accomodations, food, and the money for supplies for what I will be doing. google "volunteer in ecuador" and look at all the program prices if you do not believe me.

Thank you to those who support me for trying to help those who at this point cannot help themselves...(and btw...I am a girl...not a guy...common misconception though)

And for those of you who are telling me how to spend my money...I bet you are the same people who were moaning and complaining on the welfare forum on how "if I am on welfare people cannot tell me how to spend my money" well you know what? I EARN mine, and will help others instead of myself, who has clothes, a roof over my head, and at least 3 full meals a day...

dan j
12-05-2007, 08:51 PM
hmm, I may as well not have posted in this thread at all. I don't think anyone even understood what I was trying to say at all. But whatever, should I expect more from this online community who generally (not always) have a difficult time putting proper sentences together and live in an SJ bubble unable to see how anything else works in the World.

LL, as I said, it'll be a great experience. I just put it out there that I don't think it is the best way to do it (if you think $2000 is what it costs to live and eat in Ecuador for 3 weeks then you really need to do more research) and that I said honestly that I wouldn't support it. And no, I didn't even read anything in the welfare thread as I'm sure reading both sides of the argument would have forced me to rip all my hair out.

Finally, Futurechief88, you are probably one of the most ignorant people I have ever seen post on iSJ. Were you actually serious about posting about forced contraception?

As I said before, situations for regular people in most of the World are not as bad as people make it seem. Sure, there are countries in Africa where people are completely desperate but Ecuador is not the same as Sierra Leone. People there may not have big screen TVs, leather furniture, access to higher education, or nice cars or a car at all. Sometimes access to electricity can be difficult but there is a difference between that and poverty. Why do we have to impose our values on other regions of the World who are poor? What we're going to do is drive those people into poverty like we have in Canada. Wookiee, I don't know who you are but you're near the runner-up for ignorance on iSJ and I don't think you understand the difference between poor and poverty. Unless you've spent time in other countries and actually see the difference you just won't understand so I guess I can't hold that against you. LL will probably do herself some good to make this trip but I just wanted to pass along my experiences to let her know she may be being "used" in a few ways in order to gain a valuable experience and I just wanted to say that it doesn't have to be that way. She can do good without these $2000 rip-off trips.

rhiley_08j
12-05-2007, 09:26 PM
hmm, I may as well not have posted in this thread at all. I don't think anyone even understood what I was trying to say at all. But whatever, should I expect more from this online community who generally (not always) have a difficult time putting proper sentences together and live in an SJ bubble unable to see how anything else works in the World.

Finally, Futurechief88, you are probably one of the most ignorant people I have ever seen post on iSJ. Were you actually serious about posting about forced contraception?

Wookiee, I don't know who you are but you're near the runner-up for ignorance on iSJ and I don't think you understand the difference between poor and poverty. .

Are you kidding me? What high horse did you fall off of? You sit there and you have the audacity to call other people ignorant. Isn't that exactly what your portraying? You show constantly that you have no understanding towards others opinions, and constantly have nothing positive to say about other peoples post. Yes everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but what gives you the right to bash others. It's one thing to state an opinion or tell your thoughts on a matter, than it is to specifically target one individual and call them ignorant. Did you not learn manners growing up? Do you really think that your "holier than thou" attitude is acceptable? Most of us learned at an ealy age, that if you can't say something nice, than maybe you shouldn't say anything at all. Or if you do have something to say that someone won't like, do it with a little tact. There, an educational lesson for you so that perhaps in the future you might not be so ignorant of others feelings.

lizard_lover
12-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Dan j...as I stated, I am going for rainforest rehabilitation, wildlife research, construction of important buildings (like wells for clean water) and maybe some teaching..and yeah maybe I am getting ripped off...I know that if i can live off 1000$ here for a month and have all the extras like tv, internet, etc...then it sure as heck should not be 2000$ for 3 weeks somewheres like there...but I have no idea how else I would go there, get into a program to do these unless I go through these specific groups...and if you have some suggestions I am open. I just want to try and make a difference, you know? I want to at least make a small dent...if I can help just one living organism then it would make it all worth it...

dan j
12-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Are you kidding me? What high horse did you fall off of? You sit there and you have the audacity to call other people ignorrant. Isn't that exactly what your portraying? You show constantly that you have no understanding towards others opinions, and constantly have nothing positive to say about other peoples post. Yes everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but what gives you the right to bash others. It's one thing to state an opinion or tell your thoughts on a matter, than it is to specifically target one individual and call them ignorrant. Did you not learn manners growing up? Do you really think that your "holier than thou" attitude is acceptable? Most of us learned at an ealy age, that if you can't say something nice, than maybe you shouldn't say anything at all. Or if you do have something to say that someone won't like, do it with a little tact. There, an educational lesson for you so that perhaps in the future you might not be so ignorrant of others feelings.

obviously i showed up to what i thought was an intellectual argument and got met with an uneducated emotional argument. i'm sorry i came. let this be my notice not to do this again. i didn't arrive on a high horse but the humble but logical horse called reason.

dan j
12-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Dan j...as I stated, I am going for rainforest rehabilitation, wildlife research, construction of important buildings (like wells for clean water) and maybe some teaching..and yeah maybe I am getting ripped off...I know that if i can live off 1000$ here for a month and have all the extras like tv, internet, etc...then it sure as heck should not be 2000$ for 3 weeks somewheres like there...but I have no idea how else I would go there, get into a program to do these unless I go through these specific groups...and if you have some suggestions I am open. I just want to try and make a difference, you know? I want to at least make a small dent...if I can help just one living organism then it would make it all worth it...

the only alternative i can offer is to keep looking around on the internet and find out a region/area to go to in ecuador or another country that seems like it could use some help. before going, learn some spanish (if you don't know any already). once there, meet some people and find out what the local issues are. you won't be able to be there for long but at least find out what you can do in that local area and make a little difference on your first trip. after that, continue to go back when you can and help them out as you can (when you find out what is important to the local people). however, you are well aware that the ecological problems of ecuador are outstanding and if your trip is to help out with as a primary goal then go for it. ecuador's ecology is a good example as to how we are doing globally as it is so diverse. saying that, local people sometimes make money in ways that are adverse to their environment because of the pressure to feed their families. trying to balance that is the biggest obstactle in these areas.

for example, in mazunte, oaxaca, mexico there has always been a turtle hunt due to it being an important turtle nesting ground. through efforts of the local people and pressure to preserve this nesting grounds there has been a great agreement to make the area one of sustainability rather than slaughter. now, the area has a turtle reserve and the locals are involved in this and make money off it. at the same time, locals got together to make a co-op cosmetic company that uses local organic ingredients. i've used these products and they are top notch compared to any type of product you can buy at the grocery store.

however, i think you should really go. ecuador is hypnotizing and if could spend at least 3 weeks there then you should come back changed, no doubt. however, to spend time in modest accomodations and food you could, at the most, spend $500 over 3 weeks, so you should ask them where the other $1500 is going. i'm afraid that money will go toward their middle-class incomes instead of the people who could use it more. that is all i am really trying to say with the price tag of $2000 to do this work.

rhiley_08j
12-05-2007, 10:40 PM
obviously i showed up to what i thought was an intellectual argument and got met with an uneducated emotional argument. i'm sorry i came. let this be my notice not to do this again. i didn't arrive on a high horse but the humble but logical horse called reason.

Your pretty good at tooting your own horn. However, the next time you make a comment about someone being uneducated, perhaps you should look at what was said and base your answer on fact. You may think that you are above everyone on here, but by having that opinion, and displaying that type of demeanour, just shows your lack of knowledge (ignorance) of how to treat other people. It has nothing to do with being "emotional" as you put it, but rather of showing common decency towards others.

je12122
12-05-2007, 11:30 PM
I don't think anything that Dan said was wrong. I completely agree with him on all of his comments. People are on here saying that he is the one that is ignorant, if you ask me, he wasn't at all. I get just reading from his posts that he is well educated. Perhaps he is using too many BIG words for some of the people on here to really comprehend what he is saying lol. :rofl:

rhiley_08j
12-05-2007, 11:54 PM
I don't think anything that Dan said was wrong. I completely agree with him on all of his comments. People are on here saying that he is the one that is ignorant, if you ask me, he wasn't at all. I get just reading from his posts that he is well educated. Perhaps he is using too many BIG words for some of the people on here to really comprehend what he is saying lol. :rofl:

Finally, Futurechief88, you are probably one of the most ignorant people I have ever seen post on iSJ.

If you think that it's alright to post comments of this nature, well than I guess the two of you are in good company. Belittling people to make yourself seem more knowledgeable, is counter-productive.

Also, I think dan j needs to learn the meaning of humble- not proud or arrogant; modest; courteously respectful. If you can show me how your comments fit into the definition of humble , I would be curious to see.

dan j
12-06-2007, 02:01 AM
I'm sorry if you think I am not showing any decency to other people in this thread. You can argue this all you want but if you only point this out you have done nothing to argue the actual points I was trying to make and only taking personal attacks on how I present myself. I really don't mean to roll in here on my high horse or present myself how you see it. I only know how to present myself how I do and if that distracts from what I say, sorry. Try to read through my pretentious BS and understand that I am trying to say something.

FutureChief88
12-06-2007, 09:11 AM

Actually DanJ,
You can see in all of my previous posts on here i was not proposing FORCED contraception at all, But an offering of contraceptive for people who do not wish to bring children into a life that they can not be supported by.

It is my personal opinion. I have no problem helping those less fortunate, but why do these people continue to have children in 3rd world countries, only to have them starve and die. Contraceptives only seems like sense to me.
We have financial help in this country and we are lucky, and people still continue to have children here, when they cannot afford it.. but at least we have the help if we needed it.
I am not ignorant at all, although i havent been in these places first hand, but this is my belief. I also believe that if women in these countries HAD the option of contraceptives, they would rather take the opportunity than have to worry about their children dying!

LL, i realize that its what we are put on this earth to do, and i am not saying they shouldnt, but woldnt you agree that if a contraceptive was put into place, an optional contraceptive, there would be a lot less starving children in the world?

As i said in my first post, i agree and fully support what your doing, and would financially support you. As i said, anyone who is helping others deserves a helping hand.

rhiley_08j
12-06-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm sorry if you think I am not showing any decency to other people in this thread. You can argue this all you want but if you only point this out you have done nothing to argue the actual points I was trying to make and only taking personal attacks on how I present myself. I really don't mean to roll in here on my high horse or present myself how you see it. I only know how to present myself how I do and if that distracts from what I say, sorry. Try to read through my pretentious BS and understand that I am trying to say something.

Fair enough. Perhaps I was wrong, you do know the meaning of humble.

dan j
12-06-2007, 11:14 AM
I may know the meaning but neglect to behave properly.

rhiley_08j
12-06-2007, 11:20 AM
I may know the meaning but neglect to behave properly.

:rofl: LOL, I know your type:rofl:

wookiee
12-06-2007, 12:30 PM
[quote=dan j;187777]
hmm, I may as well not have posted in this thread at all. I don't think anyone even understood what I was trying to say at all. ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
Finally, Futurechief88, you are probably one of the most ignorant people I have ever seen post on iSJ. Were you actually serious about posting about forced contraception? <O:p></O:p>
Wookiee, I don't know who you are but you're near the runner-up for ignorance on iSJ and I don't think you understand the difference between poor and poverty. Unless you've spent time in other countries and actually see the difference you just won't understand so I guess I can't hold that against you. <O:p></O:p>

LOL...your calling me ignorance? You must be looking for attention, cause anytime anybody posts things up, you go rambling on and on. Maybe you should read your own posts 1st pal before you go calling me and Futurechief ignorant. I put one post up and it said this:<O:p></O:p>
<O:p> </O:p>
Dan J: Poverty in SJ? what? in the words of The_Dave..."its there choice".
There are lots of jobs here and have been for a awhile. The guy wasn't looking for a lecture on poverty and religion.

if you call that ignorant:confused: , then you need to learn to read.
Your right you don't know me, so take it back and show some respect. My comment towards you( which is in bold) was not rude or ignorant.

shame shame shame....some peoples kids

wookiee
12-06-2007, 12:32 PM
:)

je12122
12-06-2007, 01:16 PM
What about all the women and young children being raped and not having the option to prevent pregnancy? In a lot of African countries especially they don't have a choice they are forced by men. Unfortunately there isn't and never will be enough money to provide birth control ( the pill ) to that many people which is why food, shelter and water are the main priorities.

lizard_lover
12-06-2007, 01:21 PM
ok...this has gotten so far off topic...I know you were all making suggestions, good or bad is not the point, I posted for opinions, and that is what I got. Dan j...i think that is what i may do...I always figured that was a lot of money (and for the program I would live under a canopy in a hammock, with only 1 guarnateed meal a day in the forests) so yeah...maybe I will just save up my own money and take a trip on my own...go a couple of times....find out what they really need...come back, get some friends to go back with me and do what the people themselves need...and when it comes to the research, i will have to figure something out...but I think i will try it on my own first before going through a group...thanks guys...now behave and be nice, tis the season to be merry!

FutureChief88
12-06-2007, 01:25 PM
What about all the women and young children being raped and not having the option to prevent pregnancy? In a lot of African countries especially they don't have a choice they are forced by men. Unfortunately there isn't and never will be enough money to provide birth control ( the pill ) to that many people which is why food, shelter and water are the main priorities.

Women being raped is not the issue, and i think that is quite ignorant of you for mentioning it. I am not saying the idea is perfect, It is my idea, and i believe it is a good one. I dont understand why you seem so offended. There will never be enough money to provide food and shelter to all the people there either, but that doesnt mean people dont/shouldnt try.
I believe that this is a valid option, and to me it makes sense to start at the root of the problem, By slowing down reproduction in countries that cannot afford to support the ones that are living right now. You dont have to agree.. again, this is my opinion.

I am not saying take away human life, or the option to have children.. i am saying it makes sense to come up with a way to control it, so the country could start on the road to stability, if thats even possible.

and it's FutureChief.. Not Futurechick.. Thanks :)

dan j
12-06-2007, 01:44 PM
ok...this has gotten so far off topic...I know you were all making suggestions, good or bad is not the point, I posted for opinions, and that is what I got. Dan j...i think that is what i may do...I always figured that was a lot of money (and for the program I would live under a canopy in a hammock, with only 1 guarnateed meal a day in the forests) so yeah...maybe I will just save up my own money and take a trip on my own...go a couple of times....find out what they really need...come back, get some friends to go back with me and do what the people themselves need...and when it comes to the research, i will have to figure something out...but I think i will try it on my own first before going through a group...thanks guys...now behave and be nice, tis the season to be merry!

first stop for research is to visit the bookstore and pick up a lonely planet guide for ecuador or whatever other country you're interested in. those books are full of great information. the first times i traveled i nearly wore my lonely planet out. now, i don't even need it.

orange
12-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Okay, this thread has too much misinformation :eek:

I kind of agree with dan j's posts quite often, but in this case, I think he's wrong too...

1) $2000 for a 3 week trip to Ecuador isn't too bad, in my opinion. I was curious, and looked up how much a flight costs. From Toronto, it's about $900. Add about $300 to get from SJ to Toronto, so that's $1200.

Ecuador's per capita GDP is apparently about $5000/year, so that's not toooo bad compared to some developing countries, and maybe things aren't extremely cheap there. So maybe it would cost say $300 in local costs to travel and do whatever research it involves.

Also, programs like this often involve organizations in North America who have to pay staff for coordinating everything. So they get paid in Canadian/American wages, so maybe that adds another few hundred... so that's close to $2000.

From some searching, I found this site with a good list of such programs:
http://www.campusaccess.com/internships/humanitarian-development.html

Haha, looking at that site, I clicked FreeTheChildren.com because I think I've heard of them before. And they apparently have an Ecuador trip, but it's over $3000:
http://www.leaderstoday.com/trips/ecuador.php

2) I agree that it would be better for Ecuador if a person simply sent $2000 to people in Ecuador. But I think a key (main?) part of programs like this is the educational development of the person going there.

orange
12-06-2007, 01:54 PM
3) Regarding the contraception comments...

Africa is actually underpopulated, and was economically stunted (and depopulated) due to slavery.

And we really actually should look in the mirror (myself included) at the reason so much of the world has problems.

"The West" imposed colonialism on most of the world until less than 40 years ago in some countries, and used them to syphon wealth (the British Crown Jewels were taken from India :p). But "economic colonialism" is still very much in effect.

Companies like Wal-Mart are huge offenders of this. I avoid Wal-Mart, but I'm sure some items I own were probably made by child labour (it's inevitable due to the way Western companies act).

Sure, none of us in this forum are directly responsible, but we are really living off the "spoils" of centuries of exploitation. And we get cheap goods (cheaper than they should be) due to the continued exploitation through the slave-like labour imposed by companies like Wal-Mart.

Anyway, about the contraception issue... people in developing countries generally don't have RRSPs... their kids are their RRSPs in a sense. When they get old, they need to rely on their kids to take care of them.

And even when young, kids aren't viewed really as a burden but rather as a benefit I think, because they can help support the household from a young age.

dan j
12-06-2007, 01:56 PM
orange, your numbers sound spot on but way back at the beginning of the thread LL posted that the $2000 was above the cost of flights and the cost of her visa.

i disagree about just sending $2000 as a gift. i think spending that kind of money at local restaurants, cabs, local tour guides, and various other businesses is key. this gives people an honest wage that they can support their families with that'll in turn empower and educate them (hopefully) and help people pick better politicians who can lead the country into further growth.

dan j
12-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Anyway, about the contraception issue... people in developing countries generally don't have RRSPs... their kids are their RRSPs in a sense. When they get old, they need to rely on their kids to take care of them.

And even when young, kids aren't so much a burden as they are a benefit I think, because they can help support the household from a young age.

exactly. well said.

orange
12-06-2007, 02:03 PM
orange, your numbers sound spot on but way back at the beginning of the thread LL posted that the $2000 was above the cost of flights and the cost of her visa.

Oops, I see that now

Oh well, the total cost is about the same as the FreeTheChildren.com program then... I didn't look at the brochure to see why the costs are the way they are, but it seems legitimate anyway.

My impression is that usually the only ones who can afford to go on trips like this (unfortunately) are rich kids whose parents pay for the program themselves :p

lizard_lover
12-06-2007, 02:07 PM
Yeah...it is about 2000$, and I would pay my own flights to/from, (now I called a couple airlines to see about a discount for the cause, and I was told they would give me 15% off the flight if I could give proof for my reasoning...and others said no way...so whatever) but then there my visa, the vaccinations...but i am not quite sure how much they cost...but I will go pick up that book.

lizard_lover
12-06-2007, 02:09 PM
I wish I had rich parents to pay for it...I mean I could ask to loan it from my grandparents, and they probably would for the cause...but I would hate being in debt.

dan j
12-06-2007, 02:09 PM
wow, an airline was willing to give a discount for that? that is impressive. airlines are so cheap these days.

lizard_lover
12-06-2007, 02:12 PM
that is what i said...but their stipulation was flying first class (that wy i probably dont even save any money, possibly pay more out...)...oh well...i will figure stuff out. I dont know a whole lot about planes, i have never been on one.

dan j
12-06-2007, 02:18 PM
typically first class is about 3 to 4 times the amount of a regular economy class airfare.

orange
12-06-2007, 02:46 PM
I don't know, I think one of those programs might still be worth it, even with the amount they cost. I think the guidance from facilitators and shared experience with other kids (in the program above anyway) would be useful.

I wish I had done one of those programs when I was a young'n :p But had enough trouble with tuition.

I dont know a whole lot about planes, i have never been on one.

I think it might be better to try flying around Canada or the US first.

Or maybe not, but going to Ecuador for a first trip seems like a big step. But your profile says you're only 19, so could go in 2 years and still only be 21 :p

Also, I re-read the early replies in this thread, I just want to say that I agree with wookie and rhiley... I don't think they really said anything offbase. Even poor people in Saint John probably get at least a few thousand per year in wages or government benefits, which is more than many people in the world.

I can even see why FutureChief said what he/she did, due to the things the media puts out so often...

dan j
12-06-2007, 03:16 PM
yeah, i dunno. orange puts a good perspective on it. maybe the experience/guidance is worth the money.

lizard_lover
12-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I would love to do a program that way I would be with others, we would have a set schedule on what to do, and all that other stuff...but maybe if i go alone, i will get my bf to come and help, he is already planning to go to thailand in 6 months to teach, so this might be in his park as well.

dan j
12-06-2007, 03:30 PM
nice. kinda jealous here!

FutureChief88
12-06-2007, 03:34 PM
I can even see why FutureChief said what he/she did, due to the things the media puts out so often...

Thank you,

I cannot speak from experience as i have never been there. I think i would be too scared. I commend those who have ..

Mandi
12-06-2007, 04:22 PM
I would love to see the crafts you're going to be selling! certainly interested :)

Side bar-

I flew first class when I was 10, I was by myself, and was crying, nice flight attendant took me up to sit with her. So first class either costs 3-4x more or you have to be a cute scared kid. -giggle-

Mandi
12-06-2007, 05:52 PM
OH! And did you try going to your old high school and asking them about renting the gym for a dinner type thing? I know at my old high school they're very supportive of their student's endeavors past and present. i remember they had a fashion show or something, with a small luncheon for charity

dan j
12-08-2007, 03:18 PM
The cover story on Moncton's Here Newspaper has a good story about a girl, who started at only 17, who has now been to over 20 countries doing volunteer work. It is quite relevant to this topic and people may find it a good read.