PDA

View Full Version : Geocaching

jdcb
12-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Just wondering if anyone else in into Geocaching? See if maybe there are enough people could setup an ISJ Geocache Challenge in the spring. Would need a few people willing to do it though.

For those that don't know, the best quote I like for describing what Geocaching is goes as follows: "using billion dollar satelites to track tupperware."

Basically someone takes a waterproof container, like tupperware, and hides it somewhere. In the woods, under a rock in the park, etc. Then this person marks the co-ordinates with thier gps (global positioning system). Using the internet to trade these locations, is up to others to use thier gps's to find the 'cache.'

hiph0p
12-06-2006, 05:42 PM
interesting and weird

notec
12-25-2006, 06:58 PM
There are more Geocachers in SJ than you know of. I have been doing it for a few years now, as well as alot of my freinds. And its more than just a treasure hunt. Its is a way to hone your skills with the GPS.
We have done alot at night in pitch black in some of the most remote places you can imagine.......and the exitement from making your way through a forest in total darkness to find something as small as a film canister.......well I guess you would have to do it to know. GEOCACHING.COM is a great way to find people in your area.

jdcb
12-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Notec, if I had enough response on here, I was thinking in the spring of having an ISJ Geocache hunt. I don't know many other geocachers though, that's kinda why I was hoping for more responses...

Would you be willing to participate if I can find enough people to make it fun?

Yoda1808
12-28-2006, 04:26 PM
I've heard of it.
I've been out once, just down the street. I don't have a GPS yet, but I hope to do more this year with out one.. :o)
I hope to get a GPS some day..

djchopper6969
02-13-2007, 09:45 AM
jessicaleblanc turned us on to it (hehe) when I happened to tell her we just got a new GPS. Her husband is into it I guess. We would definatly be interested in that. I was thinking of setting up my own geocaching website too. Havent done any yet but cant wait. Want to start one or even 2 sounds like so much fun :) Count us in for sure!!!!!!!!!

djchopper6969
02-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Hey yoda1808 you can jump in with us we got a new 4x4 and the GPS and lots of room :)

subaru2222
02-19-2007, 08:44 AM
My daughter and I did some last year. We don't have a gps but we found 3 sites. One on the clean air trail in Rockwood park. One out in Renforth and another by the cave near peacocks flower shop. It was fun and good exercise.

kenicky
02-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Hi me and the family have been geocaching for a year now and just love it. It is a great way to discover many incredable places not far from where you live.We have done a few event caches around the province and had a great time at them all. You meet alot of cachers there. You can post the isj geocaching challenge on the geocaching.com web site at make it an event and you will get alot of interested cachers from all over. we would be very interested in attending.

jdcb
02-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Actual planning is in the inital stages. We're discussing right now whether it will be a viable event and how many caches to hide.

Yoda1808
02-27-2007, 05:01 PM
That would be cool, maybe this Spring or Summer.. Keep me posted..

Hey yoda1808 you can jump in with us we got a new 4x4 and the GPS and lots of room :)

tigerpaw
03-07-2007, 07:39 PM
:D Yeh , that sounds like a good idea to get all the geocachers together , maybe even people from all around. I know we could get a couple people. We started recently but it's a good way to get out and get adventurous. Keep posting

masterflex1
03-08-2007, 10:34 PM
lets all get out and go geocaching some time its great fun ive done many
keep me posted

jdcb
03-09-2007, 12:36 AM
It's going to happen, just going to work out a few particulars before I post...

sarahnb
03-12-2007, 02:41 PM
I'd love to do it but need a GPS first. Anyone know where to get them fairly inexpesive?

Dysan
03-15-2007, 03:29 PM
I'd love to do it but need a GPS first. Anyone know where to get them fairly inexpesive?

ditto

SteveGT
03-19-2007, 02:03 PM
Walmart has them on Sale for $164+tax for the Garmin Etrex Legend. This unit allows you to Download Maps into your GPS. Great Deal!

BTW - I would be interested as well in a Geocache Hunt!!

For those of you who are looking for additional information on Geocaching, visit www.geocaching.com

SteveGT

sarahnb
03-24-2007, 08:36 PM
I just bought the last Etrex starter pack at Walmart.. $199 for the Garmin eTrex Legend as well as the Garmin topographical maps. The software alone is priced at $179. They have more on order but it may be a while.

t-bone
04-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Wal-Mart called me and said they now have some in stock!
Happy Hunting!

fantasy
04-06-2007, 08:09 PM
"interesting and weird"

couldn`t have said it better myself.lol

t-bone
06-29-2007, 09:16 PM
from the cyber events weekly email:

Sat, Jun 30

INTRODUCTION TO GEO-CACHING. 10 am to Noon. Irving Nature Park, Sand Cove Road, West. Meet at the Interpretive Shelter (just uphill from the Information Kiosk). Free! Discover the growing sport known as geo-caching. This game has participants across the globe using their GPS (global positioning system) to find hidden treasures. Not only can you find these caches in the park, but just about any place you want to vacation. Learn the skills you need to get the most from your GPS so that you too can enjoy this increasingly popular pastime. (506) 653-7367.