PDA

View Full Version : chiropractor?

Marigold
11-25-2007, 09:14 AM
Has anyone had any experience with a chiropractor? Any recommendations on who to see here in Saint John? I have a pinched sciatic nerve for over a week now and the pain is awful! I'm wondering if a chiropractor can help?

TIA

s

NikkiT
11-25-2007, 10:06 AM
I saw the one across from St. Joe's a few years ago-- Dr. Gillis?-- when I had a kink in my neck and didn't want to wait it out-- whatever he did, it really hurt, but it did allow me to move a bit more freely.

One thing I'd advise, however, is to watch the waiver you are signing. I remember that I crossed something out and initialed because I didn't agree with it at all-- it was along the lines of, "You waive all rights to damages resulting from any errors both now and at any time in the future."

BlueCross also covered mine. I paid cash and submitted my forms.

Also, the doctor was quite handsome. :)

Good luck!

sarahnb
11-25-2007, 06:24 PM
I've gone to massage therapy, accupuncture and physiotherapy for years for a number of injuries to my back. I went to a chiropractor a couple of times. I've been told to never let them manipulate your neck. It can be dangerous.
I have a very sensitive neck. Just wearing the wrong jacket with a heavy collar can throw it off. My massage therapist is amazing for working out sciatica problems. Shelley Dalling at Dalling TMC. I had a bad car accident a year ago and the best thing I have done for myself is start yoga. Since starting yoga I haven't needed massage or physio. I manage my aches, paiins and kinks myself. This pose is really good for sciatica http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/475

puppyluv
11-26-2007, 04:22 AM
Hi there,
both my better 1/2 & I go to Dr Norm (652-1818) off of Westmoreland.
I have been going for years (I have arthiritis as well as years ago was in a car accident) and my better half who did not want to go , has been going for on and off around 2 years.
It is amazing how much better we feel after! I do not think many people realize how much abuse they out on a body day in and day out.I have watched those fear mongerings shows about chiropractors ( and that IS what those shows are..fear mongering) and I have faith in Dr Norm adjusting my neck.
Did you know a chiro takes 7 years of university ( just like a regualr doctor)...well Dr Norm also went on for another 3 years to become a full body doc. Which means I believe more than just the spine. What a chiro does is works on the root of the problem..not give drugs to mask the symptoms..
I have gone to one other chiro (before Dr Norm) and was very uncomfortable with that mans "familiarity'. I went to Dr Norm because of a strong recommendation from a gym owner.

Marigold
11-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the info. I have an appointment with Dr. Norm on Thursday, hopefully he'll be able to offer me some relief!

puppyluv
11-26-2007, 04:53 PM
best of luck!

FutureChief88
11-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Can they help with a sore back.. I always get my boyfriend to "crack My Back" Feels better for the second.. But it doesnt ever help in the long run..

puppyluv
11-28-2007, 06:08 PM
You prolly shouldnt be getting someone who isnt familiar with the vertabrae etc to do that...all of your nerves intertwine with the spine!
YES go and see Dr Norm :)

sarahnb
11-28-2007, 06:59 PM
Can they help with a sore back.. I always get my boyfriend to "crack My Back" Feels better for the second.. But it doesnt ever help in the long run..

YOGA!!!! Does the body wonders.

FutureChief88
11-29-2007, 08:29 AM
Ill have to try.. can i do ANY of this while pregnant?

Marigold
11-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Just an update. I saw Dr. Norm today, he's very nice and explained everything clearly and consicely. He did provide me with a bit of relief, I have to go back four to five more times in the next week, and he tells me it should be much much better by then. After I finish up my treatments, I'll repost with my verdict!!

s

sarahnb
11-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Ill have to try.. can i do ANY of this while pregnant?

You can do yoga while pregnant as well as massage therapy and chiro. Just let them know. Accupuncture is not reccomended.

puppyluv
11-29-2007, 04:45 PM
My sister went to Dr Norm while expecting..It helped her..and with a bad back, and a baby on the way, I guess anything to ease the pain helped

FutureChief88
11-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Cool Thanks guys.. I am going to look into a yoga while preggo video.. I am high risk.. So i have to be careful.. But i need to keep in shape.
Thanks!

sarahnb
11-30-2007, 09:48 PM
I'd highly suggest going to a few classes to make sure you are doing the poses correctly. I think Ambiance Day Spa might be doing prenatal yoga. Not sure.

puppyluv
12-01-2007, 05:59 AM
b\not to mention talk to your doctor 1st since oyu said you were high risk! No need to put the little bean at any further risk! ;)