PDA

View Full Version : Another Parenting Problem

FutureChief88
11-21-2007, 02:26 PM
I am not sure how to work this guys.. again any input would be great..

My daughter.. Who is 4.. started kindergarten this year..

She had a note sent home last week saying that she had left the classroom without permission, and they didnt know where she had gone. He father and i sat down with her and had a chat about the importance of telling someone where you are going and asking permission before leaving..
I just got a call from her father..

He picked her up from daycare..
Apparently the school had written a note for home stating that my daughter wouldnt come off the playground when she was told to.. When he went to pick her up, the woman at the daycare told him that she was telling one of the other children that she was going to Hide the note so she didnt get in trouble!!!!!!!

She is 4 Years Old! How does she know this?

What should i do as far as a positive parenting approach..
I feel like i am slowly approaching a very bad time with her.. and i dont want to lose her.. If you know what i mean..

JustWatching
11-21-2007, 02:58 PM
It's not too often that I push back against the school - I do fully support the idea that it is not up to them to raise the children etc....parents are responsible for their children.....however in this case something is bothering me.

This child is 4 (FOUR)....they can't just "lose" your child. Yes you probably need to sit down and talk to her about being honest....never lying....and not telling something is the same is lying....but THEY are responsible for her while she is with them....you nor your husband are there....it is their responsiblity to watch her....I know they're probably very busy....other kids to take care of....but sending a note home to talk to her is not acceptable....I mean you can talk till your blue in the face....but you are paying them to watch her...care for her...ensure she is safe! If she can just disappear....I don't know....

I know you wanted ideas on how to talk to her....and maybe I'm misunderstanding.....but I'd be concerned about the school....maybe they're understaffed....maybe there are too many kids....maybe they don't watch them well enough....but you should be able to have some peace of mind while at work.

FutureChief88
11-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Well no.. I have talked about her wandering off.. This note was about her not getting off the playground when she was told.

I agree with her running off.. I mean cmon.. she has 1 teacher and 2 aids.. and only 18 kids.. They should see when a child gets up and WALKS out of the CLASSROOM! Also.. she kept losing her jacket at the first of the year.. Now i understand children need to be responsible for their own things.. but would it not strike an adult as odd that a 4 year old child is coming in from outside with no Jacket????? I told them it is not acceptable that she is losing her outer clothing.. because she should be questioned when she comes in.. It hasnt happened since..
There is parent teacher tomorrow night and i will be having a chat.. But how do i make my child understand the importance of listening to her teacher.. She doesnt undermine me like this!