PDA

View Full Version : My Passport vent!!

Lovinmy2girls
01-12-2007, 06:33 PM
I am so unbelievablyfrustrated right now. I need to get passports done of myself and my 2 kids (7 months and 2). Mine was a piece of cake, but they expect so much from kids. They had to be staring at the camera with their mouths closed. Neither one of my kids has ever really closed their mouths (large adnoids). Anyways, they said that the one of my youngest may get approved despite the open mouth - since she had no teeth. We spent at least a half hour with my 2 year old. We ended up leaving empty handed. She would either smile for the camera (instint really) or would have hair over her ears. So frustrating. Anyone else have this problem?

M.

rubycshells
01-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Edited...wrong info.

Cherry Pop
01-12-2007, 08:10 PM
That is crazy how can they expect so much out of little children!

james1979
01-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Anyone know how much it costs to get a passport done for adults and for children under the age of 4? And how long do they take to receive?

Thanks...:cool:

tessa
01-12-2007, 09:52 PM
We got ours done last month, Its was $87 at fredericton office..for an adult ..and $37 for a child 3+...$22..for a child under that( but dosent last as long)....But then you still need your photos..and for child under a certain age you need their birth cert...( Long form)..Showing the parents on it..
Be perpaired for a long line..I got there first thing in the morning..and was 2 hours..when i left it was up to 4-5 hour wait that day..and that was at the end of december..
It was a long wait..but didn't have any trouble..Just have to make sure you read the instruction very good, take your time..
As for how long it takes for them to come in..I had mine done on the 29th dec..They are being sent out on the 15th jan..+mail time..( but that is if you go to the office in fredericton..Takes longer to mail them out..

puppyluv
01-13-2007, 06:50 AM
Ok. this year you do NOT need a passport if you are driving to the states. (they prefer you do, but it won't be a "we won't let you in thing) IF you are flying into the states you DO.. Next year you WILL need a passport for either.
(thanks CBC for the newscast on this)

tessa
01-13-2007, 10:08 AM
oops..i forgot to mention that..We are flying out of bangor..so we need ours..Also at the post office if you send them out by mail..there is an extra charge of $15 on each..
So if you go to the rothesay ave ..post office..It would be $102 adult. etc..

Lovinmy2girls
01-13-2007, 10:14 AM
I was also told that it is a good idea to go to a post office before sending out documents to see if they think your passport photo will be approved. Saves a lot of time in the long run. We need ours cuz we are going cruisin' baby!!

SaskSask
01-13-2007, 12:33 PM
I heard on the radio...a lot of photos are getting rejected. Even pictures done by professionals. One example the photographer metioned. He takes pics of a couple (wife&husband)...one passes...one fails. How does one fail when it is the same camera...same lighting, etc? It would almost seem to be a method to cut down on the number they would have to process...or trying to spread em out.

trinity
01-13-2007, 03:16 PM
They are requiring that you not smile etc as at some point they are planning to bring in facial recognition software, aka biometrics, where your face is scanned by computer and the ratios are computed. I just wonder what happens if you do things like lose/gain lots of weight, have a car accident or plastic surgery that changes your face etc.

Cherry Pop
01-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Ok. this year you do NOT need a passport if you are driving to the states. (they prefer you do, but it won't be a "we won't let you in thing) IF you are flying into the states you DO.. Next year you WILL need a passport for either.
(thanks CBC for the newscast on this)

That means next year I will need at passport to go to mardens, doesn't it?

tessa
01-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Yes it does..everyone will need to have one to cross over the border next year..i feel bad exspecialy for those who live in st stephen..and cross on a daily basis..but although they will get much more use of theirs, than we will..Unless you cross quite often as well.. I know i have family living there, and they go for their groceries, and pretty much everything else..

Lovinmy2girls
01-13-2007, 08:46 PM
I finally got a good one of my 2 year old today. Sears did it for me. They said that with kids they only have to pass 2 out of 3 rules. Not sure what all the rules are, but we had a perfect picture.

tessa
01-13-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm glad everything worked out for you...Sears was the most expensive place to get them done too!!..I went to superstore they were actually cheaper than wal-mart..They were only $9.99 at superstore..When i had ours done they were most worried about any glares on them..So we had to do quite a few to make sure there were none..:D

icedragon
01-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Just wondering for no real reason but what stops a parent from taking a child across the border and not returning? Are there additional checks if the border guards see one parent with a child? Is there special papers that a parent will have to get to cross the border with a child?

tessa
01-14-2007, 08:47 AM
This is why you need your long form birth cert..If you are a single parents for instance..it shows who the parents are are the long form..also on the passport form there is parents info that has to be filled out by both ..unless you have proper documents to prove you are the only caregiver to that child..Also it is best if you are a single parent to take this with you ..so you will not have problems crossing..they may ask for written consent for the other parent otherwise..
To get the long form ..you go to motor vec..and ask to have a long form sent out..they cost $25..:D

Mandi
01-14-2007, 09:15 AM
I usually go down with my brother and sister in law, and we just bring a note from my fiance (father of my child) saying he gives her permission , and a number he can be reached. works for us :)

Misty589
01-14-2007, 12:16 PM
i few years ago i took my infant on a vacation , and my bf stayed home, so it was just her and I. they didnt' even ask for ID at the airport for her. we flew into ontario, later in the week we drove into the states again the didn't even ask ID for her. Coming back home they did, and they guy typed on his computer for 10 mins or so and then let us go, I don't know what all of that was about, but I was not really impressed that I could take a child on a plane, and then into another country no questions asked!

Cherry Pop
01-14-2007, 12:49 PM
This is why you need your long form birth cert..If you are a single parents for instance..it shows who the parents are are the long form..also on the passport form there is parents info that has to be filled out by both ..unless you have proper documents to prove you are the only caregiver to that child..Also it is best if you are a single parent to take this with you ..so you will not have problems crossing..they may ask for written consent for the other parent otherwise..
To get the long form ..you go to motor vec..and ask to have a long form sent out..they cost $25..:D

Actually, I'm a single parent who has crossed over to Mardens all the time with my daughter and I don't have the long birth certificate - just the little one. I called the US customs office before hand to ask them about this as I haven't seen or heard from the father in 7.5 years (daughter is almost 9) and I have no idea where he is. The officer down there told me all I needed was her regular birth certificate and be prepared to answer a few questions if they should ask. I have had no problem going across this way with my daughter. Also I asked about a written consent and they said since he hasn't be around in so many years and I can't find him that I don't need one.

tessa
01-14-2007, 01:33 PM
This is what i have been told..my travel agent and the passport office ,both said to keep it on me as i as well am a single mother..this way were not getting questioned..also we are flying....But you do need to have this long form in order to get your childs passports done..this is stated on the paasport forms for children..:)

tessa
01-14-2007, 01:37 PM
i also cross over to go to marden without any trouble..showing his ID..but in the next coming year you will need a passport to cross over..and where as we are flying out next month..this is what i was refering to..as in the coming months..sorry for the comfusing..lol..was meaning when the changes take place..oops.

aiden
01-14-2007, 01:49 PM
We were also told..and had to get one for our childs passport..Guess it makes it easier on going through customs at the airports..But same as Tessa, we had to have it to do the passport for our child..

james1979
01-15-2007, 12:37 PM
i few years ago i took my infant on a vacation , and my bf stayed home, so it was just her and I. they didnt' even ask for ID at the airport for her. we flew into ontario, later in the week we drove into the states again the didn't even ask ID for her. Coming back home they did, and they guy typed on his computer for 10 mins or so and then let us go, I don't know what all of that was about, but I was not really impressed that I could take a child on a plane, and then into another country no questions asked!

*Just to fly anywheres with a child whether it be NB Baby or whatever age you NEED to show ID for that child. Thats what they told us anyways. We have taken our 2 1/2 back and forth on a plane to Ontario 4 or 5 times since she was born and EVERY single time they asked us for ID for her. We were VERY pleased with that!! Now we haven't done the whole passport thing yet, but will be looking into it very soon..