PDA

View Full Version : Min wage going up?

mizunderstood
11-14-2007, 08:57 PM
I heard a rumor.. lol... I think it was on the news the other nite but I didnt catch it... Is min wage going up again in jan? If so to what? THanks.

girdy
11-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Try Google Search

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071113.wnbwage1113/BNStory/National/?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20071113.wnbwage1113

angeliiiss
11-14-2007, 11:17 PM
It's going up .50 to $7.75 an hour

Cherry Pop
11-14-2007, 11:58 PM
I think Min. wage should be $10 an hour.

airsky501
11-15-2007, 12:25 AM
What you need to remember is that MIN wage is just that. It is NOT to be making a living off. The more min wage goes up the more the cost of things go up.

Did you know that the cost of wages is 30% of the average small companies costs. Raising the min wage by .50 will cost my company about $6500 per year.

Min wage jobs are to be kept for 1 - 1 1/2 years and that about it.

do you want to start paying $6.50 for a big mac? It will start. That company has money but it won't start to lose it.

magoosmomma
11-15-2007, 06:29 AM
I think its by the end of March its going up to 7.75 isn't it?

Chinna Dah
11-15-2007, 08:10 AM
effective March 31, 2008

jdcb
11-15-2007, 09:30 AM
not again

Cherry Pop
11-15-2007, 06:01 PM
What you need to remember is that MIN wage is just that. It is NOT to be making a living off. The more min wage goes up the more the cost of things go up.

Did you know that the cost of wages is 30% of the average small companies costs. Raising the min wage by .50 will cost my company about $6500 per year.

Min wage jobs are to be kept for 1 - 1 1/2 years and that about it.

do you want to start paying $6.50 for a big mac? It will start. That company has money but it won't start to lose it.

But some people have no choice but to live off of it. Plus the majority of jobs at least in this city are min. wage jobs.

girdy
11-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Personally I wouldn't pay 49 cents for a Big Mac, but that's a matter for another day.

I think raising minimum wage is great. There is a lot of dialogue here about helping able-bodied people break the welfare cycle, and the best way to do that is to increase the gap between what people make on welfare, and what they would make working. 50 cents an hour raise on minimum wage is $80 a month, that's gotta help those who need it the most.

And yes, if I need to pay a bit extra for a meal so that the busboy gets a more reasonable wage, I'm good with that.

FutureChief88
11-16-2007, 07:55 AM
But if your paying more .. becasue your making more.. than it doesnt really matter if Min wage goes up.. does it?

mizunderstood
11-16-2007, 10:48 AM
That isw exactly the problem futurechef... Those of us that work min wage jobs look forward to a pay raise occasionally... But then when everything else goes up in price were no better off than when we started. Sometimes worse... We need to figure out a way to increase min wage but keep prices relativly level with that.

mizunderstood
11-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Also it kind of makes the ones that are making a little more than min wage feel unappreciated. I know my friend has been working for 6 years at one company. When they hired her they gave her 8.00/hr Even with all the hardwork, years of dedication, she works every shift she can possibly get, she is still making 8.00 an hr while people that have been at her company for next to no time are going to be making as much as her.

FutureChief88
11-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Exactly..but it will never happen.. The government raises wages to accompany the change in the market..then they realize they are losing money..and raise taxes and prices.. lol

Lose Lose situation..

Sucks!

FutureChief88
11-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Thats EXACTLY how i feel.. I make alright money.. but if the cost of living is going up for people making min wage.. why not for me.. and like u say... for the people that made $8 an hour before.. there are people starting at min wage almost making as much as them.. just doesnt seem right to me..

kaj27
11-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Want more money? Get professional training or education. Sure that's not an option for some people, But then you have to adjust your life accordingly you can't have all the frills life offers on minimum wage. People need to plan more. If you drop out of High School don't expect to have your own place, fully furnished with a big screen TV and a fridge full of food and a Lexus out in the driveway. Hell if you finish High School, don't count on it.

FutureChief88
11-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Well i have dropped out of high school.. went back for training and education and now have a college degree.. working a fine job.. but again.. i still think that if min wage goes up.. my wage should go up.. to keep my wage/salary competitive with the market.

kaj27
11-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Well i have dropped out of high school.. went back for training and education and now have a college degree.. working a fine job.. but again.. i still think that if min wage goes up.. my wage should go up.. to keep my wage/salary competitive with the market.

Some companies do follow that, but most do not. It's a shame I agree. Maybe it's time to ask for a raise?

FutureChief88
11-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Just got one.. :(

Lol

rhiley_08j
11-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Every time unions negotiate higher wages the minimum wage is not long behind following suit. Believe it or not, jobs in the industrial sector are what drives the economy. It's what raises the cost of living and so forth.

richunclepennywise
11-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Also it kind of makes the ones that are making a little more than min wage feel unappreciated. I know my friend has been working for 6 years at one company. When they hired her they gave her 8.00/hr Even with all the hardwork, years of dedication, she works every shift she can possibly get, she is still making 8.00 an hr while people that have been at her company for next to no time are going to be making as much as her.

True story, I went to work at Wal-mart one xmas unloading the trucks. I made 25 cents an hour more than a guy that had been doing it for 5 years. The reason given was that I had over ten years work experience so I started at $8. The real reason, this is just a guess, I wouldn't have done it for less. Too many people get paid too little because they're willing to work for less. They say things like I have to work to survive, which is sort of true, but remember, you don't have to work where you're at.

Peace