PDA

View Full Version : Left hand turns

sarahnb
11-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Does anyone stop for people making left hand turns? If you have the right of way, please use it. Don't stop for people making left hand turns especially if there are more than two lanes and it's an RST truck.
I was going down McAllister today and a car stopped for an RST truck turning left into their parking lot across two lanes of traffic.. That is just stupid and dangerous.

trinity
11-14-2007, 12:13 AM
It is a nice gesture to do it if you can, lots of times the driver would wait a very long time for an actual break in traffic. I do however get what you are saying, when there is more than one lane, it is dangerous to "make the choice" for the other lanes and assume they see what you see, or assume they know what you are stopping for. Someone who has just turned the corner themselves into traffic may not be expecting to have to stop again that soon. If I see someone ahead of me in the left lane stopped for no apparent reason, with no signal, I might think that they themselves are waiting to turn left into the strip mall where Wendy's is and, if the right lane was clear, just switch into it so that I can proceed unimpeded by someone who can't be bothered to turn on their flicker. (hey, this is Saint John, a lot of drivers fail to use turn signals). That would put me at a disadvantage, from my POV all of a sudden my way is blocked by a truck I neither saw nor agreed by consensus to stop for. I guess maybe if you want to stop and let someone cross your lane and the one beside you, maybe a good idea is to briefly turn on your 4-way flashers so that cars coming up your inside lane are alerted to be watching for something out of the ordinary?

bigbellymomma
11-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Only The Nascar Fans Stop For PPL Making Right Hand Turns LMAO It's All About Respect

NikkiT
11-15-2007, 03:47 PM
I agree-- it is dangerous. Honsetly, if everyone drove with the DMV traffic rules, as silly as they seem, there wouldn't be nearly as many accidents.

I expect to slow down near a cross walk or yield sign, and stop at a red light/ stop sign, period.

Nail
11-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Uhhh, i'm pretty sure stopping in the middle of traffic with no signs to indicate a stop is illegal. You CANNOT do it, even if you want to appear nice. If the person making that left hand turn is hit, you are partially responsible. Two dumb moves might appear polite to some, but the fact is, it's just dumb.

sharonw
11-15-2007, 06:52 PM
It is considered courtesy to help out a proffessional driver who is trying to make a living to get a break into traffic. If you are driving defensively, as you should be, the brake lights on the back of the stopped car and the giant truck pulling into traffic could be an indication that you may have to slow down a little or (god forbid) stop to let him pass. I think people are in too much of a hurry and the one who complain about being slowed down slightly can sometimes be the worse offenders. A little courtesy can go a long way.

sarahnb
11-15-2007, 07:26 PM
I might see the car in front of me with it's brake lights but what about the person behind me? I don't rely on anyone's driving skills.
Letting people make left hand turns when they do not have the right of way is hazardous not courteous. Just because someone is driving a commercial vehicle does not mean they are allowed certain privledges on the road. Some (not all) of them are the worst drivers around.

NikkiT
11-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Nail, I used to say that to my husband all the time-- "Stopping in the middle of traffic is illegal!", and he argued every time.

I think we're both right though. ;)

kaj27
11-15-2007, 10:09 PM
I don't think it's illegal to stop on a road. Sure stopping to let someone go is dangerous, but everyone should be paying enough attention to see someone stopping....even suddenly. If you slam into me because I stopped....you are at fault; you broke the law by not paying attention to the road.

stripekv
11-16-2007, 06:28 AM
I don't think it's illegal to stop on a road. Sure stopping to let someone go is dangerous, but everyone should be paying enough attention to see someone stopping....even suddenly. If you slam into me because I stopped....you are at fault; you broke the law by not paying attention to the road.

But your the dumbass that stopped on a busy road to let someone go. You neverrrr stop on a busy road to let someone else go, that's just asking for trouble.

FutureChief88
11-16-2007, 07:23 AM
It is considered courtesy to help out a proffessional driver who is trying to make a living to get a break into traffic. If you are driving defensively, as you should be, the brake lights on the back of the stopped car and the giant truck pulling into traffic could be an indication that you may have to slow down a little or (god forbid) stop to let him pass. I think people are in too much of a hurry and the one who complain about being slowed down slightly can sometimes be the worse offenders. A little courtesy can go a long way.

Yes it is courtesy.. but when you have a green light.. and they have a green light.. You have the right of way because you are going straight.. those are the rules of the road.. And it wouldnt be so coutreous if the person behind you just happened to take their eyes off the road for a moment cause they were in a straight lane with a green light (which we all have done). I figure.. once their blinking green is done.. they have to wait.. Its now my turn to drive..

kaj27
11-16-2007, 11:35 AM
But your the dumbass that stopped on a busy road to let someone go. You neverrrr stop on a busy road to let someone else go, that's just asking for trouble.

What if it was a child crossing the road?

Stopping is part of driving. Get use to it. Cars come with brakes for a reason. Use em.

stripekv
11-16-2007, 03:33 PM
What if it was a child crossing the road?

Stopping is part of driving. Get use to it. Cars come with brakes for a reason. Use em.

Read my post carefully. I didn't mention anything about a child crossing the road. I said stopping on a busy road to let a car turn left. Totally different than a child crossing the road.

kaj27
11-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Read my post carefully. I didn't mention anything about a child crossing the road. I said stopping on a busy road to let a car turn left. Totally different than a child crossing the road.

Stopping is stopping. If you can't stop when a car goes, how can you stop when a child crosses the street.

trinity
11-17-2007, 06:52 AM
it's not about "Stopping", we are not talking about hitting the stopped car from behind, that's what brake lights are for. They are talking about potentially hitting the left turning dump truck as they cruise up THEIR lane with the right of way, with no traffic lights, crosswalks, or jaywalkers in sight. Sure, YOU know that the truck wants to turn, YOU know why you are stopped, YOU agreed to be nice and let the truck turn- as the third driver on the scene, the other car may see none of this, as they were not party to the nonverbal agreement to yield the right of way. Why take that chance that the other car does not see the other vehicle because for the crucial moment when they could still stop, the sight of the other vehicle is blocked by your car? Especially in a high-traffic non-residential area like mall central.

cornerofeden
11-17-2007, 08:53 AM
Sarah is absolutely right! I was one of those people who did just that. I was on Bayside Drive coming from Redhead and the lights were red. On the left of me going towards Redhead, a lady in a car was trying to get into the Petro service station. There are three lanes of traffic on the right side of the road. So I leave a space for her to go in front of me; but the vehicle to my right is in the way for her to get through. The light turns green; everyone starts moving; she edges out in front of me another car stops in the next lane to let her go; but she still has one more lane to get through but she goes right through without looking and BANG the third lane car hits her.
To begin with, I should never of made room for her to come through. That was the reason the accident happened. I will never do that again!

Chinna Dah
11-17-2007, 09:09 AM
To begin with, I should never of made room for her to come through. That was the reason the accident happened. I will never do that again!

No that is not why the accident happened. It happened because she went across another lane of traffic with out looking. Don't blame yourself for someone elses careless driving. She is at fault plain and simple.

sarahnb
11-17-2007, 11:54 AM
She should have made her turn safely at the intersection.

FutureChief88
11-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Or waited until traffic passed.. Its not your fault people are stupid drivers..

Maybe she saw flashing lights and got confused.. so she hit the gas..

(lol.. Funny from another thread)

Sorry .. i couldnt help myself.

sj_mr2
11-21-2007, 05:03 PM
The only thing I can really contribute: If you see a car stopped in a lane DO NOT PASS THEM! I was nearly sick today because I stopped for an old lady crossing the road (1 lane road), and another car just decided to go around me, As soon as I saw what was going to happen I honked my horn and the lady stopped. That idiot in the other car would have ran her right over! it still makes me angry thinking about what could have happened. If you can't see infront of the other car, don't just assume that the road is clear.
p.s I do let most commercial vehicles have the right of way when it is safe to do so. They make their living by getting places ontime, it's common courtesy.

sarahnb
11-21-2007, 05:09 PM
I got passed 4 times today on the inside on Champlain dr. It's only ONE LANE!!!!!!! idiots.

kaj27
11-21-2007, 05:51 PM
I got passed 4 times today on the inside on Champlain dr. It's only ONE LANE!!!!!!! idiots.

At the lights?

They do it everyday there. Mostly cause it turns into 3 lanes at the end. But still.

trinity
11-27-2007, 11:06 PM
This has been a horrible week for driving- both my roommate and I have been nearly t-boned on separate days on different streets. He was coming out of the mall and some truck ran the red light; for me I was just driving down Bayside Drive and some car was leaving Bayside School and just kept driving like nothing was coming, like they didn't even see me. Fortunately there was no one in the other lane so I just swerved out and went around their hood.

Shrimpfan
11-28-2007, 01:52 AM
p.s I do let most commercial vehicles have the right of way when it is safe to do so. They make their living by getting places ontime, it's common courtesy.

Here's what happened when someone tried to be courtois:

Unless in front of me all cars are stopped I never ever let anyone turn left into my lane to get ahead of me.
The risk fora an accident are just too great.

Shrimpfan
11-28-2007, 02:00 AM
This has been a horrible week for driving- both my roommate and I have been nearly t-boned on separate days on different streets. He was coming out of the mall and some truck ran the red light; for me I was just driving down Bayside Drive and some car was leaving Bayside School and just kept driving like nothing was coming, like they didn't even see me. Fortunately there was no one in the other lane so I just swerved out and went around their hood.

Thats because saint john roads are becoming a major pain in rear end to travel with all the speed limitations and crazy lights put on.

I think on major roads like Rothesay Ave left turning should not be allowed unless it is at the lights.
It is a two lane traffic, when someone is turning left it ties one lane.

Actually the whole road was not done properly.
They should have put some roundabouts(sp?) that way lights would be unecessary and woudl allow a more smooth traffic.
Instead we have people turning left everywhere, lights that make no sense,Ritchies why??? just because theres a business?? then every business on that street should have lights too.
What about the lights at the deluxe fries?? Unbelievable. The road now is slow, frequent stops and honestly just annoying.
And this applies to pretty much all major roads in SJ.

rhiley_08j
11-28-2007, 06:58 AM
I think that people just need to more defensive in their driving, have a little more confidence behind the wheel, stop lolli-gaging at times when the traffic volume is high, and show a little more courtesy to others on the road. It wouldn't kill you to let some one go, you'll still get to your destination only a few seconds longer than if you hadn't have stopped.

rhiley_08j
11-28-2007, 07:11 AM
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m64/rhiley_08j/Intersection.jpg

This is what I hate, being on the other end of those turning left. When you have a stop sign and are trying to go straight. They have no oncoming traffic, so they turn left, problem is you are trying to go straight with a line up of traffic behind you waiting to turn right, and not one single person that is turning left, will be courteous enough to take two seconds and let you go, so that the flow of traffic can run smoothly.

FutureChief88
11-28-2007, 10:34 AM
well shouldnt you have gotten in the proper lane to begin with?

When i leave my house.. i have it planned out which way i am going , what lanes i should be in.. I plan as much as possible.. So i dont have to make last minute decisions.. It is dangerous to give someone the right of way that doesnt have it.. IMO

rhiley_08j
11-28-2007, 11:30 AM

When i leave my house.. i have it planned out which way i am going , what lanes i should be in.. I plan as much as possible.. So i dont have to make last minute decisions.. It is dangerous to give someone the right of way that doesnt have it.. IMO

Who is that directed towards?

FutureChief88
11-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Sorry.. You.. lol

I am not saying you dont plan it out.. Or whatever.. i just find i very rarly have to try and squeeze in somewhere.. unless there is an accident or something preventing me from going in the lane i wanted to be in.. and if you had been in the proper lane to begin with.. you wouldnt have to worry about the smooth flow of traffic.

rhiley_08j
11-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Sorry.. You.. lol

I am not saying you dont plan it out.. Or whatever.. i just find i very rarly have to try and squeeze in somewhere.. unless there is an accident or something preventing me from going in the lane i wanted to be in.. and if you had been in the proper lane to begin with.. you wouldnt have to worry about the smooth flow of traffic.

I think you misunderstand, I was talking about going straight through the intersection, waiting at a stop sign and those turning left not being curteous enough to stop for two seconds to let you go. It had absolutely nothing to do with being in the wrong lane.

FutureChief88
11-28-2007, 01:21 PM
O ur right...sorry.. I did misunderstand..
Oppsss.. lol
sorry

trinity
11-29-2007, 08:20 PM

I do that too- I go the weirdest ways sometimes to get where I am going but I plan it to minimize my own aggravation and maximize my "right of way" access like trying to take a route where my only left turns involve intersections with left turn signals. I've even managed to arrange a route to KV at 5 pm that basically lets me avoid the on ramps/off ramps and have the right of way at every intersection. What a de-stress it has been to not have to worry about getting in to packed highway traffic or getting cut off by a desperate SUV owner trying to get home at 130 kph. I still get where I am going, on time, and safe- all because I sat and thought about options for roads to take.

FutureChief88
11-30-2007, 07:54 AM
I do that too- I go the weirdest ways sometimes to get where I am going but I plan it to minimize my own aggravation and maximize my "right of way" access like trying to take a route where my only left turns involve intersections with left turn signals. I've even managed to arrange a route to KV at 5 pm that basically lets me avoid the on ramps/off ramps and have the right of way at every intersection. What a de-stress it has been to not have to worry about getting in to packed highway traffic or getting cut off by a desperate SUV owner trying to get home at 130 kph. I still get where I am going, on time, and safe- all because I sat and thought about options for roads to take.

Lol :rofl:

I KNOW! My friends all make fun of me.. cause i always go the "weird" Way,.. they say its much shorter to go this way.. Or that way.. Expect i always get somewhere before them.. and never late, always going the speed limit. It is much less stressful to plan out the journey than make last minute decisions.