PDA

View Full Version : Question about C-sections

Cherry Pop
11-13-2007, 03:15 PM
I didn't want to ask this in the other thread cause I wasn't sure if it would be interrupting the flow of the thread so I decided to start my own thread to ask the question. Does anybody know whether you can be put to sleep to have a c-section or do they only do them with an epidural? Or does it depend on the doctor? I really would like to know the answer to this. I'm not pregnant or even plan to be or even know if I can have children again but if I ever do than I have to have a c-section because of my medical situation. I refuse to ever have an epidural, mainly because I've had a lot of surgeries and I seem to fall into the catorgory of the small few where if something goes wrong then it happens to me. I just know that if I had an epidural, I would be paralyzed, because of my experience I know this would be the case with me. Trust me I'm not even being paranoid on this one. So I'm just wondering what are the rules regarding this, can you be put to sleep or is it mandatory to have an epidural?

christine chittick
11-13-2007, 04:44 PM
There are situations where they will put you to sleep...Chances are, you will be awake during the procedure. Doctors aren't very keen on putting you to sleep for a surgery that is only a few minutes if there are no complications. I had one done almost 7 yrs ago - not by choice, it was an emergency. Most of the time it is spent prepping you, and then when you go to recovery.

You could call around and ask.

dittydottie
11-13-2007, 09:52 PM
I had 3 sections(22,24 & 26 years ago) I was out for them all.I had a choice with my third one.

christine chittick
11-14-2007, 07:02 AM
Back when my mom had me, they put you out as well. I will be 29 in 3 weeks. It was the norm then, but now a days, they won't put you under unless it's necessary. Same as then, if you had one c-section and you had more children they would be c-sections (some dr's still make women do this today)

I tried to be put out when I had my first because I was scared to death that I would feel it etc. but they would not do it and it was my first surgery ever, and stitches. It may have just been the doctor - or that they only put you out in certain circumstances these days from my understanding.

Cherry Pop
11-14-2007, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the replys! I would refuse to have an epidural so I would assume that then they would have to put me out. In Ontario, they sometimes give epidurals to patients having other surgeries but your still put to sleep. The epidural in that case is used for better pain control after the surgery. Anyways, I refused to get one there when I had my surgeries there. So they had to do me the old fashion way with the pain pump which is the method they still use here in New Brunswick. I've just had so many complications that I would hate to have something go wrong with an epidural. I guess I really don't need to be worrying about it right now but if the time ever comes, I'm going to refuse the epidural.

megz
11-14-2007, 01:18 PM
i had a c section.. i wouldnt suggest u get put to sleep unless you REALLY REALLY need to... theres SOOOO many things that can go wrong!! your gag reflex is worse when ur pregnant and the tube they put in ur throat... my friend threw up and almost choked to death when they did that to her... it ISNT bad at all being awake its actually neat... you dont feel a thing ... and if you have dr reardon hes the BEST! i cant say that enough , i've done it both ways ...and i wuld prefer a c-section over natural any day! if you have any ?'s pm me! :)

FutureChief88
11-14-2007, 03:18 PM
Well there is only 1 doctor in NB that does it by Edidural.. Most sections are done by Spinal.. and the chances of becoming paralyzed by injection in your back is almost slim to noe.. The spinal is a series of 3 injections under your spein.. and it is along ways away from the area to paralize you... I would never want to be put to sleep.. too many risks associated..

megz
11-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Well there is only 1 doctor in NB that does it by Edidural.. Most sections are done by Spinal.. and the chances of becoming paralyzed by injection in your back is almost slim to noe.. The spinal is a series of 3 injections under your spein.. and it is along ways away from the area to paralize you... I would never want to be put to sleep.. too many risks associated..

i asked about that ... and the guy who did my spinal told me it wasnt true that it can not paralyze you .... and yeah there is sooo many risks being put to sleep i wouldnt chance it at all.. get the spinal , its no big deal i've done it twice , i dont have back aches or anything of the sort .. and it cant paralize you .... they put numbin needles all around it before the do the spinal you dont feel a thing

FutureChief88
11-14-2007, 03:52 PM
no.. U just hear noises.. ugh! lol

but thats nothing!

Cherry Pop
11-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Well I've had 12 surgeries already and am waiting on a 13th so being put to sleep is almost a natural thing for me. I haven't had any problems being put to sleep and I would feel way more comfortable being put to sleep than having complications from the epidural or spinal thing. I also have certain medical situations regarding my stomach so I'm thinking it would be better to be put to sleep in case they run into problems with that. But I'm not pregnant right now, I guess that other post about c-sections just got me thinking about it and about what if in the future I did get pregnant. Personally the whole c-section thing is kind of crazy for me to even think about. I had my one and only daughter naturally without drugs so it would be really weird for me if I got pregnant someday and had to go through all this crazy stuff.

megz
11-14-2007, 09:27 PM
lol complicatiions for a spinal are like slim to nothing,... i dont know why ppl are so scared of them .... its a bit redicious. if it was such a threat to us , they would make something else... the spinal doctor who gives them told me himself , there is nothing in it that can paralyze someone.. so people really need to get over it

Cherry Pop
11-14-2007, 11:39 PM
lol complicatiions for a spinal are like slim to nothing,... i dont know why ppl are so scared of them .... its a bit redicious. if it was such a threat to us , they would make something else... the spinal doctor who gives them told me himself , there is nothing in it that can paralyze someone.. so people really need to get over it

You say that the complications are slim to nothing well that means there is still a chance and given my history with complications to things, I wouldn't risk it. I don't know if I just have bad luck or what. Sorry but when "Professionals" can't even get an IV in me, I'm not about to let them fool around with my back/spine!

FutureChief88
11-15-2007, 07:20 AM
Understandable..but the risk associated with giving birth while put out .. outweigh the possibilities of being paralyzed by a spinal.. whatever works for you.. I personally wouldn't risk what's associated with being put to sleep.. and you wouldn't risk being paralyzed.. its personal preference i guess.. I know tho.. in most cases, doctors wont put people to sleep just because they want to be. A friend of mine has to have biopsy's done and she FREAKS out when she gets them done anxiety attacks and everything.. but they wont put her under for it. She is terrified of them.. she'll go in.. and cant go through with it.. cause the doctors end up telling her to leave. Like i say, the risks associated with being put to sleep during birth is not something they just ike to do cause someone want's it.. But like you say.. Maybe you have extenuating circumstances.. and you will have to be put to sleep. If you do end up getting pregnant and having to have a section.. I hope they do whatever will make you happy.. cause nothing can ruin a birth more than being forced into something you dont want to do. :)

christine chittick
11-15-2007, 07:42 AM
I was always told by the nurses that I was getting an epidural, not spinal blocks...either way, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I have 3 children. The spinal or epidural, whichever it was didn't work for 2 of them. My first child it worked wonderfully, but what I didn't like from that was when I tried to push my daughter out, I couldn't feel that I was pushing, therefore, thought I wasn't doing it right lol...she was the one I had to get a section...but it was not planned...

Cherrypop, I don't know if you were being sarcastic by saying the doctors not being able to get an IV in or not, but it is required if you get an epidural/spinal block. I freakin hate needles, and that was something I had to suck up and get when I had my kids.

Also, I had once read ( I will try to find the research on this to back me up - I think it was on about.pregnancy.com) I was on that site for all 3 of my kids, great informational site and covers just about everything. Any how back to what I was saying was that there had been studies done that stated that women didn't bond to their children born via c-section like they did to a child that was born naturally. I can sort of agree with this, and I don't want to put myself off as some kind of idiot - but I do find that I am much closer to my children born naturally than I am to my daughter who was born via section. But that could just be a fluke thing - and it could be that she is more close to her father than she is me. It could be that she is the oldest and is more independant at doing her own things than my 4yr old and my 20 mos old...

In all honesty, if you were going to have another child and opted for the c-section, if I were you I would chose to be awake. At least you are fully conscious of what is going on around you, and if quick decisions or problems were to arise, you would know, and possible be given options etc.

FutureChief88
11-15-2007, 09:45 AM
Well they are not going to give you a spinal if you are having a birth naturally.. because it completely freezes everything.. feels like it freezes your chest as well.. If they were trying for natural birth with your first and you already had the Epi.. then they just leave the epi in and pump it with more meds.. in that case you would have the spinal.. I am talking fabout a scheduled section..

Cherry Pop
11-15-2007, 04:52 PM
I was always told by the nurses that I was getting an epidural, not spinal blocks...either way, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I have 3 children. The spinal or epidural, whichever it was didn't work for 2 of them. My first child it worked wonderfully, but what I didn't like from that was when I tried to push my daughter out, I couldn't feel that I was pushing, therefore, thought I wasn't doing it right lol...she was the one I had to get a section...but it was not planned...

Cherrypop, I don't know if you were being sarcastic by saying the doctors not being able to get an IV in or not, but it is required if you get an epidural/spinal block. I freakin hate needles, and that was something I had to suck up and get when I had my kids.

Also, I had once read ( I will try to find the research on this to back me up - I think it was on about.pregnancy.com) I was on that site for all 3 of my kids, great informational site and covers just about everything. Any how back to what I was saying was that there had been studies done that stated that women didn't bond to their children born via c-section like they did to a child that was born naturally. I can sort of agree with this, and I don't want to put myself off as some kind of idiot - but I do find that I am much closer to my children born naturally than I am to my daughter who was born via section. But that could just be a fluke thing - and it could be that she is more close to her father than she is me. It could be that she is the oldest and is more independant at doing her own things than my 4yr old and my 20 mos old...

In all honesty, if you were going to have another child and opted for the c-section, if I were you I would chose to be awake. At least you are fully conscious of what is going on around you, and if quick decisions or problems were to arise, you would know, and possible be given options etc.

I am dead serious when I say they can't get IVs in me. I'm not sure of what the problem is but it is quite the procedure just to get one in. As for opting for a C-section, I have no choice, I have to have one if I should ever get pregnant again. I'm not going to go into detail or anything but it has to do with my current medical situation. I was just asking about the epidural because I was wondering if others who had to have c-sections had the option of an epidural or being put out. Again thanks all for the responses!

christine chittick
11-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Ok Futurechief, I understand what you mean now. :) I thought what you were saying was all doctors give spinal blocks in natural birth rather than epidurals - I didnt see the c-section part.

I think I read once before cherrypop, you were upset in a thread or something and had a short detail of what was wrong with you. I feel bad that you have to go through that :( - and I would agree that a c-section would probably best for you. I wouldn't want to go through what you do...

FutureChief88
11-16-2007, 08:07 AM
i always have to have a section as well.. But iwould rather i think.. Much easier.. planned.. and if your young.. easy to recover from.. I hope this one is as easy..

christine chittick
11-18-2007, 05:58 PM
Have you had more than one section? I was just curious to know if the healing process and time is the same as the first one. I found after I had mine it took a long time before I could lay flat and sit up without having pain. I slept I think for 4 months in a semi-sitting position. I only had the one, so thats why I am asking what the heal time etc. is like.

Cherry Pop
11-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Have you had more than one section? I was just curious to know if the healing process and time is the same as the first one. I found after I had mine it took a long time before I could lay flat and sit up without having pain. I slept I think for 4 months in a semi-sitting position. I only had the one, so thats why I am asking what the heal time etc. is like.

I'm totally guessing on this but I think it probably gets easier each time you have one and recover from it. I've had my abdomen cut open many times (for other surgeries) and the first one was really hard. Every movement for months hurt but the next one was easier and so on. I will say that my stomach muscles are really weak right now and sometimes I feel a little funny there like I can tell how weak they are but other than that there is no pain or anything. Although my incision was up and down and not straight across (which I assume is what they do for c-section) so it might be different.

crazymama
02-21-2008, 03:34 PM
I've had two c sections and I was out cold for both of them. I had the option of staying awake the second time around, but chose not to. If you spoke with the dr looking after your pregnancy, you could certainly let him know what option you would like. But, from personal experience, I now regret not being awake because I feel as though you miss that first bonding experience because you are sleeping. I gave birth to my daughter at 5:26 am and did not fully awaken until 11 pm that night. Did not know whether my baby was a boy or girl? Any medical/physical issues? I found that was really stressful being a first time mom. So, it's a decision that you should not make lightly. Just my opinion.

sarahnb
04-14-2008, 11:23 AM
PUSHING BACK - CAESAREANS IN NEW BRUNSWICK
A WOMAN’S VIEW Ginette Petitpas Taylor
Caesareans save lives and save health. But, as the Canadian Institute for Health Information
says, the procedure involves risks for mother and baby, so high caesarean rates are of concern.
So why would New Brunswick have such an increase in the proportion of births by caesarean and
have a higher than average rate in a country with a very high rate?
More importantly, why are there such large differences between regions of the province in the
rate of births by caesarean?
Why do we have rates as high as 48% in Restigouche health region in 2005-2006, when the
World Health Organization says anything over 15% is inappropriate use?
Is the increasing number of babies born at low birth weights related to our high rate of caesarean
births?
The news last week that, compared to the Canadian average of 26% of births by caesarean, New
Brunswick had 29% of births by caesarean in 2005-2006, was disconcerting.
Some countries are taking action because their rates of births by caesarean are approaching
20%. We have regions much higher than that - Restigouche region at 48%, Fredericton and
Miramichi regions at 32% of all births being via caesarean.
Certain issues are minefields and just asking questions – let alone emitting an opinion – attracts
strong reaction. Questioning the high rate of caesarean births seems to be one of them.
Some view this as questioning physicians’ judgment, indeed as proof that the questioner is antiphysician
if not downright anti-male.
Some criticize the use of the World Health Organization recommended level – as if that was a flyby-
night, or worse, feminist, organization.
Some react as if anyone who questions the increased use of caesareans is advocating totally
unassisted births for everyone.
Some wonder we do not accept, without question as they do, that obesity and age among today’s
pregnant women explains the high rates of caesarean births – but then why do slim young
pregnant women congregate in certain cities and regions of the province and avoid others? It
also leaves unexplained the lower rates of caesarean births in many developed countries.
Some would have us believe that the higher caesarean rates are caused by women requesting
caesareans. Our society’s intolerance to risk could well be at fault, but no proof is offered nor an
explanation why only women in certain regions and countries request them. And what do we do
with the studies that show that only a small minority of women request a caesarean in the
absence of a clinical indication, and most of those requests stem from concern about adequacy of
care and anxiety about safety. Analysis of Canadian hospital data for 2002-2003 shows that
women in Canada's highest-income urban areas are significantly less likely to have caesareans
than those in the lowest-income areas.
Women may request caesarean delivery due to a perception that it is an easy and risk-free
alternative but planned caesarean delivery in healthy women brings increased risks to the health
of the mother. Earlier this year, the Canadian Perinatal Surveillance System reported on a study
on the risks of caesarean delivery. Comparing outcomes of healthy women having a planned
caesarean delivery for breech presentation to outcomes for healthy women with planned vaginal
delivery, they reported that the women having a caesarean delivery had three times the rate of
severe illness after delivery compared to the women with planned vaginal delivery.
Some wonder why we don’t just support women’s right to choose caesareans and stop asking
these questions. Choice is a right. As is information. Women should have a pivotal role in their
obstetric care. But studies show that the majority of women who had received a caesarean felt
that their options had not been fully explained. Do health professionals have the time and
resources to provide complete and accessible information? Does our health system offer women
- particularly those in rural areas - the conditions to allay fears they may have about adequacy of
care and anxiety about safety? Can a woman count on health professionals to provide her with
supportive, continuous care to get through the delivery?
No method of birthing is devoid of risks. Many health professionals and researchers have shown
reasons to be concerned with the over medicalization of certain life events, especially women’s.
Hard evidence of net benefit does not exist, so performing caesareans for non-medical reasons is
ethically not justified, according to the International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics. For
all those reasons, questions about the use of caesareans and other birth interventions must be
asked.
Jurisdictions with rates much lower than ours have tried to identify what makes it possible for
some hospitals to attain and maintain low caesarean section rates.
Recently, the United Kingdom’s National Collaborating Centre for Women’s and Children’s Health
summarized an Ontario effort at this. It said the review of hospitals with low caesarean section
rates suggested that achievement of a low rate depended on attitude, such as a ‘culture’ of birth
as a normal process, pride in a low caesarean rate and a commitment to one-to-one supportive
care in labour. It also depended on the organization of care, such as use of multidisciplinary
teams and timely access to skilled professionals, on physicians’ commitment to evidence-based
practice and programs to ensure continuous quality improvement.
Those of us asking questions about the increased use of caesareans are hoping to get evidencebased
answers. High rates of use of the caesarean procedure do not necessarily mean high
rates of inappropriate use, but why the increase, why the regional variations, and what is the
impact on babies and women?
Ginette Petitpas-Taylor, of Moncton, is Chairperson of the New Brunswick Advisory Council on
the Status Of Women. Her column on women's issues appears in the Times & Transcript every
Thursday. She may be reached via e-mail at acswcccf@gnb.ca

Cherry Pop
04-14-2008, 08:46 PM
sarahnb, while I appreciate your info, my original question was whether you could be put to sleep for a c-section or do you have to have an epidural. If I ever have anymore children, I "have to have" a c-section. I've had a total proctocolectomy which has resulted in a perineal wound which I am awaiting surgery to reconstruct. I will never be able to have a child vaginally again because if I tried to I would never ever heal there again and I would be left with a big hole there! So while I appreciate others opinions on whether c-sections are necessary, I can totally confirm that in my case I would have to have one. Thanks!

FutureChief88
04-16-2008, 03:05 PM
It really bothers me when people "bash" (persay) c-sections. You cant just walk into an obstetrician in saint john and say.. hi im pregnant and i want a section. They would laugh in your face.
C-sections are only opted for in NB if they are needed medically.
If you have had a previous section done, it is a medical possibility that your wound could tear. This is the ONLY case which is left up to the mother to decided what she would like. If she wanted to attempt a VBAC or not.

I HAVE to have a c-section (in most cases). Because of the shape of my uterus my baby is breech, and most likely will remain breech, and they dont deliver breech babies vaginally.

Here is a case.. I know a girl who was in labour and everything was going great... Her babys' HB dropped to 24! They hauled her into the OR. Would you cconsider this cause for a section?

Cause i WOULD! It is emergency.. and the baby is possible dying..

Well they didnt see it that way.. They hauled her into OR and Used forceps..
so look at a case this serious (to me anyway) and they opting out of c-section usage..
They only do them in SJ if they are necessary.. Or in the case of a VBAC.. if the mother feels that the risk outweighs the benefit.

Also rising cases of section ultimately depend on the rising problems in society. Narcotic users, People who medically cannot give birth on their own, Overweight mothers.. So on and so forth. How can studies show that over 15% section rate to be overusage? How can they determine how many women in the area have medical problems or are overweight? That to me is a complete estimation.. and shouldnt EVER be used as a target!

Anyways Cherry.. I was re-reading the thread and i realized that my response sounded weird.
I have been put to sleep many times as well.. but being put to sleep with a section is very risky.. they generally opt not to do it.. unless it is necessary.

macmike78
04-16-2008, 06:59 PM
ok - it's a little outta my league because I'm a guy but my wife
made me watch "The Business of Being Born". - Highly recommend!!!

It's a real eye opener.

Mike

sarahnb
04-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Sorry ladies. I realize there are valid reasons for c sections. I also realize there are invalid ones. Just trying to share some information for others who come across the thread.

FutureChief88
04-17-2008, 08:15 AM
Yep.. thats fine. I understand that, which is absolutely wonderful. but there is no need to worry a woman about a c-section.. They are not elective procedures in this city. They are only done if necessary.

In ALOT of place women can pick and choose how they want their children to be born.. but not here.
And to be honest, what is wrong with a woman WANTING a section?
Knowing what i know now.. if i had the choice.. I would ALWAYS opt for a section. It was great.. and i recovered quicker than my friend who had a vaginal borth. Seems to me there is ALOT less stress on the mother and baby when born through c-section.

Cherry Pop
04-17-2008, 08:35 AM
If I could go back in time, I would have had a c-section. My whole illness started right after I gave birth. They don't know what causes my illness but I feel with my whole heart that something happened to my large intestine when I was pushing. I didn't have any problems before I gave birth. As soon as I gave birth, my large intestine was never the same. I believe had I had a c-section back then, I wouldn't be in the situation I am today.

FutureChief88
04-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Cherry.. you are probably right. I know many women .. including the one i mentioned earlier.. She had some sort of failur with her bladder. i can guarantee she will have problems forever. After 4th degree tears and over 300 stitches.. I would think section would be the way to go! lol

patbez
05-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Have to agree with the comment on "The business of being born"...I highly suggest everyone watch it & I think many women that see nothing wrong with c-sections now would change their mind.

I understand there are def. instances where there's a medical need to have a c-section. Of course no one is going to say "no, I don't want one" if their baby is in danger...but you have to keep in mind that what's considered "danger" is determined by the doctor...& some doctors just shouldn't be practicing, period. Some docs jump the gun & say "we want to do a c-section" when there are other measures that could be taken to prevent one. I think most people don't know that the use of pitocin & epidurals increases the risk of needing to have a c-section....it's things like pitocin & epidurals that can effect the baby & possibly put them into distress. There's a higher risk of infection & complications with c-sections...the recovery time is longer...plus it's very important to baby to be with mom for skin on skin contact in the first little while after birth, if possible...it seems to me that c-sections, although def. needed in some cases, shouldn't be done as much as they are.

The World Health Organization has set a recommended level for a reason...it's because there are obviously c-sections being done when they shouldn't be. There can't be that dramatic of a rise in c-sections without much of a social change in the past 10-15 years.

I'm 7 months pregnant, will be delivering drug-free if it takes everything I've got & intend to avoid a c-section at almost any cost...except that of the life of my child. If my baby is in danger, of COURSE I will agree to a c-section, but I will def. discuss my options with my doctor is a section is suggested & see WHY they feel I need one & if there are any other things that can be done.

To each their own, but I think people need to be informed & seek out info on both sides of the coin.

babydoll101
05-12-2008, 08:22 AM
I had a c-section for my first. Unfortunetly I didn't have a choice. I went 12 hours in labor and they (the doctors) thought I wasn't progressing enough so they gave me one. I had the worse time of my life recovering after that. I was a single mother and I almost thought I couldn't do it with my little baby girl. I swore I would never have one again. I have had 3 vaginal births after that. With every 3 there were different complications that some doctors would have opt. for a c-section but I stood my ground and all 3 children are doing great.
I really don't know what my point is because I am neither for or against them. I just want everyone to know that c-sections are not the greatest and I'm glad that you can't just have one if you chose to in this province. I hope it stays that way.

monicaw
05-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Hey there...I am going in for my 3rd section in 3 weeks. I was awake for the first 2 and will be awake for the 3rd. Reason for my 1st section was my baby's haeart rate went down and then a fever came over me...my second was my labor wasnt progressing..well my 3rd...the doctor doesnt want me going into labor because there is a chance my uterus could rupture..so its a scheduled section for me and last. I think its great that you dont have to be put to sleep...all you feel is pressure when they are doing what they do.