PDA

View Full Version : xbox 360 or PS3?

lizard_lover
11-08-2007, 03:44 PM
ok...so second thread in matter of minutes (sorry guys)
My boyfriend would really love to have an xbox 360 so he can have guitar hero 3...but after talking to many people (and the fact I work for microsoft and hear the inside dirt on how much the xbox sucks) I am really not looking forward to spending 700-800$ on something that will break...I also know that sony is done...not making any more systems. They just sold all their studios (150 studios to..tada! Microsoft)
So I do not want to buy that system because there probably will not be more games...WHAT SHOULD i DO? What would you guys do....?

KRS
11-09-2007, 07:54 AM
What are your sources for Sony selling their studios to Microsoft..I find this hard to believe and I hope it is not true!

lizard_lover
11-09-2007, 03:22 PM
It was in a gaming magazine I had, and online at a gamers site...I will try to find the actual website again...

mike_d
11-09-2007, 03:36 PM
I would love to see these sources too, cause last I read it was Sony Pictures that were considering selling 50% of its digital and animation studios. Sony acquired Evolution Studios recently which made the game Motorstorm, but if Sony decides not to make another Playstation console it will be because of profit or loss results on the PS3 in the long run, its still not even a year old yet to jump to any conclusions. In the next few months there will be more games coming out for PS3, give it some time.

I chose the PS3 because of exclusive games that I am waiting for such as FFXIII, Metal Gear Solid4, Killzone2, and God of War 3. Plus other games like Uncharted, Haze, LittleBigPlanet are some good Sony exclusives I'm looking forward too in the near future. Add in all my PS2 games as well.

The end result really depends on what type of gaming he loves, if he plays more online competitive games and most of his friends have an Xbox360, then that would be the obvious choice. The 360 has better online gaming with more demos, betas, etc. Don't buy a used 360 though cause most likely its the version with the highest failure rates (Red Ring of Death). People are actually selling them and buying the new Arcade/Halo/Elite versions..lol...so buy the console new, as the new versions are supposed to have no RRoD failures. Microsoft does have a 3 year warranty on the 360 as well, but I would buy an over the counter warranty like at Futureshop, cause if it does ever fail Microsoft likes to take several weeks before sending it back to you. Wow I made a long post...sorry.

lizard_lover
11-20-2007, 09:43 PM
lol that is fine. Believe me, as a microsoft worker for the past year, I know they can take forever to do anything (we can charge people instantly, but takes usually 3-4 months for a refund to go through...and we wont even touch the tech support lol) but yeah, def. going for a halo or elite version...i cannot find anymore of the halo ones though...may just have to spend the extra 50$ for the elite because i dont think the arcade one is his type lol

mike_d
11-21-2007, 10:58 AM
The stores should also have the Xbox 360 Pro Holiday bundle for $399.99 which comes with 2 free games which would save you $100 over the elite version but will have 100gb less hard drive space.

edit- for a better deal and if you can order online I'd recommend buying this one through Dell:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Xbox_360/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=bsd&cs=cabsdt1&sku=A1309716

Dell has a big 5 days of gaming sale right now on many games and systems and this also comes with Halo 3 for the same price. :)

nickd123
11-21-2007, 12:32 PM
The dell bundle with Halo 3 is on backorder and they have no ETA. I was going to purchase that bundle, but didn't want to wait.

mike_d
11-21-2007, 12:56 PM
thats weird, it shows that it ships in 1-2 business days, they must not update the website...lol

nickd123
11-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Oh trust me. I made sure to point that out to the Dell Rep on the phone. He said I shouldn't really go by what the website says :S lol

mike_d
11-21-2007, 01:41 PM
awesome deal though maybe even worth the wait...I missed out on the Super Mario Galaxy for $34.99 :'(

lizard_lover
11-21-2007, 02:22 PM
yeah...the only thing is I do want one of the newer 360 models, like the halo edition, elite, or arcade (dont really want that last one). I know it sounds probably pretty stupid, but I figure they have less glitches than the original 360.

nickd123
11-21-2007, 02:47 PM
The dell bundle with halo 3 is a newer console. It's the same one as the arcade I believe, just with the hard drive. I know it comes with the HDMI port.

Bawango
11-24-2007, 10:25 PM
<table border="1" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td>
</td> <td align="center">XBox 360</td> <td align="center">PlayStation 3</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">Basic
Console</td> <td align="center">$349.99*</td> <td align="center">$399.99</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center"> Backward
Compatibility
</td> <td align="center">Included (limited)</td> <td align="center">+ $100.00 (full)</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">HDMI Output</td> <td align="center">+ $100
(Elite System)</td> <td align="center">Included</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">Internet
Access</td> <td align="center">Included</td> <td align="center">Included</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">Wireless
Internet</td> <td align="center">+ $99.99</td> <td align="center">Included</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">DVD Playback</td> <td align="center">Included</td> <td align="center">Included</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">HD DVD</td> <td align="center">+ $179.99</td> <td align="center">Not Available</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">Blu-Ray</td> <td align="center">Not Available</td> <td align="center">Included</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">Total Price:</td> <td align="center" valign="top">$729.97</td> <td align="center" valign="top">$499.99</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">Online Play</td> <td align="center" valign="top">$7.99 / Month.</td> <td align="center" valign="top">Free for most games</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">Wired Controller</td> <td align="center" valign="top">$39.99</td> <td align="center" valign="top">N/A</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">Wireless Controller</td> <td align="center" valign="top">$49.99</td> <td align="center" valign="top">$49.99</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">Rechargeable
Controller</td> <td align="center" valign="top">+ $19.99</td> <td align="center" valign="top">Included</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">New Release Games</td> <td align="center" valign="top">$59.99</td> <td align="center" valign="top">$59.99</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">Game Format</td> <td align="center" valign="top">Standard Double
Layer DVD</td> <td align="center" valign="top"> High Definition
Blu-Ray
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Bawango
11-24-2007, 10:38 PM
I have a PS3 and I am happy with it. Sony's base system is $399 and has a few extras that you will not find with the XBox 360 like Wifi, built in Blu Ray Player if your going to get into hi def movies. If you were wanted to hook up your 360 wirelessly you would have to spend the extra cash for an adapter. Also although the Base PS3 model only comes with a 40GB hard drive you can upgrade it if you'd like and you only need to buy a standard 2.5" SATA Laptop HDD. The only one thing that the 360 has over Sony's head is more games as its been out longer and Xbox live. But hey I play online with the PS3 and it 'aint costing me anything and I have not heard of any online enabled game that you have to pay some kind of fee. The reason I purchased the PS3 is reliability and at the time the 360 was plagued with hardware issues and as of now it is still ongoing. I hoe to buy a 360 in the future but only if they get the hardware issue resolved. If your planning a next gen console definitely consider what games you wanna play, what extras do you have to pay on top of buying the console, and consider also your friends. Will they be on Xbox live and you would like to join or are they all playing PS3?? Good Luck