PDA

View Full Version : Getting your cats declawed

hiph0p
01-11-2007, 07:27 PM
i'm thinking about buying a 1700 couch set soon , and.. i've noticed my cats clawing the set i already have , and i dont want the new set to be torn up, is it better to get it done when young? because they are 4 an 8 months old now , and i've heard some vets don not do it , i'm not even sure on the cost , the cats have many toys and houses with the carpet but pick the couch and chairs over them, im not sure on what to do i just dont want the new set ruined

puppyluv
01-11-2007, 07:34 PM
that is a cruel thing to have done to an animal. they break it at the knucle and tear the claw out. might I suggest the softclaw sets..or have the vet show you how to keep kitties nails nice and short...a safe and humane way of keeping both you and kitty happy.

hiph0p
01-11-2007, 07:38 PM
yeah nevermind i didnt know they broke their knuckles , i've heard of the soft claw thing ill give that a try , and i already do cut their nails and they still claw away at the couch but not their lil cat houses n scratching posts lol

puppyluv
01-11-2007, 07:40 PM
perhaps a groome or a vet could show you just how to cut them so they are as short as possible?
ps with soft claws, you can get jazzy colours :)

CM
01-11-2007, 07:51 PM
I would also reccomend catnip spray, you can use it to spray where you would rather them scratch, such as the kitty condo. And I would try spraying something citrus scented on your couch set, kitties don't like citrus fragrance for some reason.

hiph0p
01-11-2007, 08:22 PM
aw they come in colors? i've never seen them i think i'll google them , and citrus huh thats odd , where can you buy cat nip spray? walmart? the thing i baught said they have the cat nip scent but ill spray them anyways

thanks

hiph0p
01-11-2007, 08:25 PM
http://www.softclaws.com/gallery/

the pictures are cute ! where can you get them at?

pepsimama
01-11-2007, 09:12 PM
We have trained all our kittens over the years to use a scratching post. It's just a piece of 4x4 wood screwed onto a piece of old countertop, set on the floor. 4 cats over the years have really gouged that wood but they use it every single day and have never clawed the furniture. I also don't believe in declawing.

michaelsmom
01-12-2007, 07:20 AM
I have 2 scratching posts, one is a stand alone and the other is the kind you hang on a doorknob or hang from the wall. Neither of my cats touch the stand alone but they love the hanging one. You can get it at walmart and it was under $10. I have tried the cat nip on the stand alone, and it worked until the spray wore off and now they don't touch it at all. But if you still decide to go ahead with the declawing, it is $246 per cat to have them Neutered (or spayed, not sure what they call it with females) and the declawing if you do it at the same time. I called and priced the other day. Very pricey, but my vet will take postdated checks as well.

Not really trying to get into the whole inhumane debate here, but if that is what you decide to do and it's the best decision for you and your pets then do it. It may not be the optimal decision, but I'm sure it's not just for the fun of torturing your kitties.

jdcb
01-12-2007, 03:45 PM
I don't recommend declawing for a few reasons.

I purchased a scratching post and used some catnip spray. A little positive re-inforcement when she first started scratching the post and she realized it was not a bad way to go...

inepteye
01-12-2007, 03:46 PM
i got my cat declawed and its not cruel bc they put them to sleep.. my cat skill scratches at the chair but it doesnt rip it, and they say its not cruel.

jdcb
01-12-2007, 03:54 PM
I dunno, if they broke my nuckles and ripped out my fingernails, asleep or not it would hurt for quite a while...

stjfairy
01-12-2007, 04:00 PM
hiphop you can order them from the vets the softclaws Im sure puppyluv knows which vet. I think there a good way to go, and there awful cute

Mandi
01-12-2007, 05:48 PM
I didn't think they broke their knuckles....
Actually I thought they cut their 'fingers' off at the knuckles.

CM
01-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Catnip spray is available at Walmart, and I think Zellers as well. Pet stores definitely carry it. Most cats prefer the taller scratching posts because it is their instinct to stretch and scratch. Most professionals I have spoken to recommend a scratching post with sisal rope instead of carpet. The sisal is better for their claws when they are scratching, and doesn't promote unwanted carpet destruction elsewhere.
My sister is going to give me a big old hunk of firewood for my kitty, bark on and all, I think he will just love it.
Good luck.

puppyluv
01-12-2007, 07:57 PM
http://declaw.lisaviolet.com/declawpics.html

hiph0p
01-12-2007, 08:21 PM
ok so im not looking at those pictures thanks anyways , where can i get the soft claws?

Cherry Pop
01-12-2007, 08:25 PM
The Atlantic Veterinary Hospital on Hampton road has softpaws which I assume are similar to softclaws. I used softpaws on my cat when he was going through a scratching phase cause I couldn't bring myself to declaw him after doing research about declawing. I'm so glad I used them instead, the pics of declawing surgery make me want to vomit everytime I see them. I also bought him one of those carpeted cat houses where he is allowed to scratch when he feels the need to. Please consider using softpaws. The vet will show you how to use them and they are quite easy to use.

Mandy
01-13-2007, 12:24 PM
I don't think it is the best idea to declaw a cat.

I have a leather couch, and well it has a few scratches on it, but we have a spray bottle, and spray the cat if they go near it. We have since built a cat house for them, and they love it.

We also took a piece of wood and wrapped carpet around it, and nailed it to the wall, it stands upright about 5', and the cats both stand on their hind legs to scratch it and stay away from the couch. They love it, and us because they still have their claws!!!

Clipping their nails is pretty easy too once you get used to it!

inepteye
01-15-2007, 11:36 AM
wuts soft claws?

nadia.m.
01-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Have you considered just blocking off your living room? Maybe there's a way to keep your cats out of the living room.

I bought an expensive living room set in the fall. We have 3 cats. We have french doors going into the living room and these are always closed, thus keeping the cats away from the furniture. It's actually kind of nice having a cat free area for when friends with allergies visit

I also disagree with declawing. It's illegal in a number of countries, including England, as it is considered animal cruelty. Aside from the physical suffering, many cats experience behaviour changes afterwards.

If there's even a chance that it creates unecessary suffering for a creature I love, I would not expose my animals to the procedure to keep my things from getting damaged.

adm
01-21-2007, 12:52 PM
I have 2 cats - 1 will be 10 this summer and she is declawed. My kitten was just neutered and will not be declawed. 9 years ago when the older one was a kitten it was not unusual to declaw, but it's just as easy to train a cat where to sharpen their claws. Catnip or catnip spray is the easiest way, you can get either at Wal-Mart or any pet store. I just got a new suede living room set at Christmas time and have easily trained the dogs that they are not allowed up on the new furniture (the other couches in the house are fair game), and also trained the cats that they cannot sharpen their claws on it (Again - the other couches and the kitty condo is fair game). With the dogs, I'm OK with the claws on the kitten, and it's easy to get them used to getting their nails clipped. The pictures are certainly worth a thousand words, but honesty I don't think I'd want to see a nutering picture either. The biggest deterrent to me is that there is no health benefit to declawing, and if they ever get out, you have taken away a lot of their ability to defend themselves or climb a tree if necessary. My old declawed girl still catches the odd (slow...) bird in the summer when she goes out - and claws or no claws, we all know who is in charge (and it's not me!) :eek:

je12122
01-21-2007, 03:41 PM
you can get some spray stuff that you can spray on areas of furniture or doors etc that your cats scratch and it keeps them away. It doesn't stain or anything and it doesn't smell bad to us but Cats hate the smell and taste so they stay away from it. I have two cats and i don't even have to use the stuff anymore cause they just learned not to scratch certain things cause I used the spray. If you want I live west and i still have like 3/4 of the bottle left you can have it if you want to try it out and see if it works for you.

For my first cat I did get him declawed but not the other one. I will tell you that when i saw his paws the next day when I picked him up I felt bad cause he is an all white cat and so his paws had dried blood on them and looked sore. However as soon as I got him home, no word of a lie, he started jumping from couch to chair and on the coffe table etc. The first time he did jump however he tried to use his claws to grip and he couldn't so i think he was a little shocked, but he never had a problem since then and did not appear to be in any pain or discomfort and was able to chase my other cat and wrestle with him that same night. I am not going to get into the debate of whether you should do this or not or whether it is inhumane or not just wanted to tell you my cats experience. The vet did tell me that some cats aren't able to walk or jump very well for the first week but like I said my cat was fine.

hiph0p
01-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Whats the name of the spray that they dont like and where can i get it?? i went and got the cat nip spray , only my male cat seems to like it the female is really sassy and doesnt care she wont even eat cat treats i give my cats canned sardines instead.....shes a real fussy cat

je12122
01-23-2007, 12:14 AM
sorry i wasn't on the comp til now but the name of the spray is called quick and Easy i got it for 7.99 at Pet Coral. I am sure you could probably get it at any pet store. If you still want to try it and want the rest of mine, like I said i have about 3/4 left you can come get it anytime just let me know.

good luck!
Je12122

The_Dave
01-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Why not just get a dog, they are just plain better than a cat that does nothing but eat and sleep. Dogs are so much more enjoyable. They are loyal also. Cats couldn't give a hoot as long as they are fed. Dogs rule

PS I have yet to see a cat help get Timmy out of the well.

oasis
01-23-2007, 06:30 PM
We had our cat declawed when she was a kitten. Let me tell you this once you see the poor thing when you first get it back the look of the paws will break your heart. I'd never put an animal through that again.

I thought it would be better than yelling at her any spraying her every time she tried to scratch the furniture. Well next cat I'll go through the hassle of training her/him properly before i'd put it through that ordeal.

The_Dave
01-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Why would any vet even perform this procedure on a cat? If it is so inhumane and vets are suppose to care for animals so much, then why? Is it for the money? Are the just sadists in disguise? There is no logical reason for this, so it must be for the money!!

jdcb
01-25-2007, 11:28 AM
PS I have yet to see a cat help get Timmy out of the well.

I have yet to see a dog get timmy out of the well. I have seen them alert humans that timmy was in the well and humans got him out. I have also heard of cats warning their owners about babies in distress too...

But I hear ya on the affectionate part. My cat will cuddle me if I'm holding something she thinks she might like and hasn't gotten a close sniff yet. I've already warned my wife that when we purchase a house, the day the papers are signed I'm getting a dog.

paws_1978
01-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Have you done any research on declawing on the internet or called a vet to ask their views? I have 2 cats and one of them is declawed and one isn't. Have you tried a spray bottle with water and give them a little spray when they are scratching at your furniture? That seemed to help with my cats. Lots of toys and oter things for them to scratch will help to.
This is what is involved with the declawing. You can find this info at www.declawing.com/

"Your cat's claw is not a toenail. It is actually closely adhered to the bone. So closely adhered that to remove the claw, the last bone of your the cat's claw has to be removed. Declawing is actually an amputation of the last joint of your cat's "toes"

Hope this helps with your decition.

Corky
04-10-2007, 07:44 AM
You shouldn't get them declawed, i worked at the animal hospital on rothesay ave,and i watched them declawing a cat.It wasn't nice at all.The do break something and then stitch it up.The cat after waking up, was so sad looking...looking at his paws meowing..wasn't in pain though..i just cut my cats nails but you don't want to cut to low because they will start bleeding,if they don't just put flour or baking soda on them! stops it...

adorabull
04-10-2007, 10:23 PM
"shoo" deterant works the best you can get it at walmart, Ive tried EVERYTHING, when my dog was in the stage of wanting to tear up area rugs, it comes in a arasol (sp) can, Ive tried bitter apple bitter lime ect, found that worked the best, and doesnt stain fabrics.
my 02

jennifer25ca2006
05-29-2007, 01:46 AM
I just got my kitten declawed a month ago. His feet just went down in the swelling. I will never do it again. Oh and another thing is that before he got declawed he didnt bite now he is declawed he tries to bite. Alot of cats that get declawed become angry with the owner and will be mean. My kitty is mean but he will bite that is the only thing that he has now is his teeth. Let me tell you I will never put a animal through that again. Oh and also I was taking my kitty somewhere the other day and as soon as I put him in the carrier he got sick. He though that I was bringing him back to the vet i think. I dont recommend it. You learn from your mistakes.

puppyluv
05-29-2007, 06:21 AM
[QUOTE=jennifer25ca2006;106954]Alot of cats that get declawed become angry with the owner and will be mean.QUOTE]

I disagree with that statement. I think the issue moreso is that their main part of protecting themselves has been taken away..Therefore they "seem" more to use their mouth whereas before a simple paw lift or a swat would be their protection before.
I had 1 cat front declawed and would never do it again.

inuit
01-13-2008, 06:13 PM
please don't amputate your kitty's fingers that is so cruel.Come to think of it most surgeries we do to animals that we are supposed to love is done for our ego or convenience. For example clipping doberman's ears and tail causing lifelong problems with ears that by nature are supposed to be protected by floppy ears and I'm sure you can easily think of other animals who are altered so we can strut them around. Think first of their suffering and pain before you decide to have them operated on for no good reason, I am not talking about spaying which is done for the animal sake

puppyluv
01-13-2008, 08:05 PM
inuit, this thread was back from May of last year.

thorne
01-15-2008, 03:04 PM
I've had the same problem with my 3 cats. they tortured all of our furniture with their clawing! they are all indoor cats and dearly loved but I was either going to lose my mind or their claws...so the claws went. They were all put to sleep for the procedure and had pain medication afterwards. They still tried to claw the couch almost immediatly afterwards...but no scratches were left behind! I no longer chase them yelling and they still think they are scratching. We are all very happy 4 years later!

thorne
01-17-2008, 10:18 AM

jennifer25ca2006
01-17-2008, 07:29 PM

Mandi
01-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Jennifer, I'm sure you have a healthy kitty, and that's all that matters. :)

inuit
01-18-2008, 07:50 AM
In England and some other countries it is illegal to declaw cats. I wish it was here too. I feel for you who have furniture but I have 10 cats and nice furniture too and no claw damage. I put a 3 foot piece of 2x4 nailed to the wall in the hall and they all use that. Some of them started to claw my sofa but I took them away and took them to 2x4. That worked for me. Good luck.

sanstu
01-18-2008, 07:58 AM
People have differing opinions on this subject. As long as you feel you are doing "right" by your pet, then it doesn't really matter what others think! And jennifer, you should be able to post without another member calling you a name.

FutureChief88
01-18-2008, 01:45 PM
I was going to get my kitty declawed but i was strongly urged not to by the vets.. every one of them that i called actually..

Instead i leard how to clip his nails.. Little more maintenence.. but it keeps my furniture safe and him in no pain :)

But to each his own.

rhiley_08j
01-18-2008, 02:22 PM
To each his own. Some people would disagree with getting a dog or cat fixed. They would argue that if you are a true animal lover than you would allow them to be able to do what they were meant to do. There is variences of opinion on every subject.

puppyluv
01-18-2008, 07:04 PM
http://www.declawing.com/

Written by Veterinarian, Dr. Christianne Schelling

If you are considering declawing your cat, please read this. It will only take a moment, and it will give you valuable information to help you in your decision.

First, you should know that declawing is pretty much an American thing, it's something people do for their own convenience without realizing what actually happens to their beloved cat. In England declawing is termed "inhumane" and "unnecessary mutilation." I agree. In many European countries it is illegal. I applaud their attitude.

Before you make the decision to declaw your cat, there are some important facts you should know. Declawing is not like a manicure. It is serious surgery. Your cat's claw is not a toenail. It is actually closely adhered to the bone. So closely adhered that to remove the claw, the last bone of your the cat's claw has to be removed. Declawing is actually an amputation of the last joint of your cat's "toes". When you envision that, it becomes clear why declawing is not a humane act. It is a painful surgery, with a painful recovery period. And remember that during the time of recuperation from the surgery your cat would still have to use its feet to walk, jump, and scratch in its litter box regardless of the pain it is experiencing. Wheelchairs and bedpans are not an option for a cat.

No cat lover would doubt that cats--whose senses are much keener than ours--suffer pain. They may, however, hide it better. Not only are they proud, they instinctively know that they are at risk when in a weakened position, and by nature will attempt to hide it. But make no mistake. This is not a surgery to be taken lightly.

Your cat's body is perfectly designed to give it the grace, agility and beauty that is unique to felines. Its claws are an important part of this design. Amputating the important part of their anatomy that contains the claws drastically alters the conformation of their feet. The cat is also deprived of its primary means of defense, leaving it prey to predators if it ever escapes to the outdoors.

I have also had people tell me that their cat's personality changed after being declawed. Although, the medical community does not recognize this as potential side effect.

Okay, so now you realize that declawing is too drastic a solution, but you're still concerned about keeping your household furnishings intact. Is there an acceptable solution? Happily, the answer is yes. A big, joyful, humane YES! Actually there are several. The following website "Cat Scratching Solutions" provides many solutions as well as and insight into the psychology of why cats scratch. You can teach your cat to use a scratching post (sisal posts are by far the best). You can trim the front claws. You can also employ aversion methods. One of the best solutions I've found is Soft Paws®.

Soft Paws are lightweight vinyl nail caps that you glue on the cat's front claws. They're great for households with small children and are extremely useful for people who are away from home all day and can't exercise the watchfulness necessary to train a cat to use a scratching post. Soft Paws® are easy to apply and last about four to six weeks. They come in clear or colors--which are really fun. Now that's a kitty manicure! The colored caps look spiffy on Tabby or Tom and have the added advantage of being more visible when one finally comes off. Then you simply replace it. You can find Soft Paws® on the web by clicking here or call 1-800-989-2542.

You need to remember, though, that the caps and nail trimming should only be used on indoor cats who will not be vunerable to the dangers of the outdoors.

For a list of countries in which declawing is either illegal, or considered extremely inhumane and only performed only under extreme circumstances, or for medical reasons, CLICK HERE.

Not yet convinced? Click Here for "The Truth about Declawing - Technical Facts."

inuit
01-18-2008, 09:18 PM
There is a huge difference between declawing and spaying. Spaying is done for the cat's sake and not for our convenience or to save the furniture.

jdcb
01-19-2008, 06:02 PM
i'm thinking about buying a 1700 couch set soon , and.. i've noticed my cats clawing the set i already have , and i dont want the new set to be torn up, is it better to get it done when young? because they are 4 an 8 months old now , and i've heard some vets don not do it , i'm not even sure on the cost , the cats have many toys and houses with the carpet but pick the couch and chairs over them, im not sure on what to do i just dont want the new set ruined

A new scratching post + catnip rubbed into it (i found the spray on catnip sucks) + a small squirtgun + one week = cat only scratches scratching post now...

toolman
01-19-2008, 08:53 PM
I have been told that village pets sell soft claws which is an alternative it,s fake soft nails that u put on them

harbourchick07
01-23-2008, 11:18 PM
Declawing is so mean... i just got another cat (only because i gave him away as a kitten and the people dicided they didnt want him anymore) well in order for me to keep him i had to have his declawed there was no getting around it... its been about a week and a half he he is still limping...

Who ever says that declawing your cat doesnt hurt them is full of them selves because it does.. imagine having your toes broke and nails removed then being forced to walk!

MuzicalHart
01-30-2008, 06:22 PM
If they won't use the scratching post, try putting catnip in the scratching post .. that should encourage them to scratch it, cuz they love the catnip. Also, keep a spray bottle (like you'd use for spraying plants) handy with water in it .. it won't harm the cat at all, but they don't like getting sprayed, and may be less likely to try clawing the furniture. Another thing you might try is a spray you can get at a pet shop that will (hopefully) deter them from scratching the furniture as well. I got some for my cat, and it seems to work quite well. You just spray the furniture with it, and it will (hopefully) deter the cats from scratching any furniture that has been sprayed with it. I make sure my cat's scratching post is right in the livingroom by one of my chairs, and 99% of the time, instead of her scratching the chair, she will scratch her scratching post instead. Her scratching post is one of the ones with the rope around the column up the middle. She loves it and uses it a lot!! Give the cats lots of praise when they use the scratching post too. That will encourage them to use it more too. Good luck with that!!