PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory for College Courses

Pumpkin
01-11-2007, 01:26 PM
I think it is rediculous that the Community College is now charging an extra $1500/year for "USE" of a lap top with course specific software.

This means that for certian courses (eventually all courses), you have to pay $ 1500 for each year of study for use of a lap top that you do not even get to keep in the end!

You cannot use your own computer or lap top, it has to be theirs. There is no way around it.

This is foolish. You think the school system would be supportive with their students not ripping them off. Personally, I wouldn't mind paying the amount, but it should be a one time deal, and you should get to keep the laptop. I mean if I had $1500 to throw away I probably wouldn't be in school cuz I would already be rich!

Anyone find this as crazy as I do?

puppyluv
01-11-2007, 03:21 PM
is this what you are now referring too?
http://www.nbcc.ca/content.asp?id=43&mid=1

Dan_Man
01-11-2007, 03:50 PM
You should at least be able to use your personal laptop or be able to keep the one you just paid $1500 for...

Pumpkin
01-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Yes that's the one. I was wrong it is $1200 per yer, and I still think it's scandalous! It may solve some issues. I am sure it has it's benifits, but I think it's wrong to ask that per yer and not get to walk out of there with what you just paid double for!, and maybe triple for!

I was thinking on returning to school and when I found this I was deterred! I am already paying on a student loan for something else, and to have another large one like that for a manditory costly used "loaner" computer, no way.

yoyoyip
01-19-2007, 01:35 PM
This is absolutely awful. Has the college given a reason why this is mandatory? If not, I think somebody needs to make this very public.

I know there are reporters who surf this site looking for news stories... well here's one. Somebody run with it.

skallywag
01-27-2007, 08:51 AM
I think it's a great idea. Don't forget that you may be able to get a laptop for 1200, but not the software. Office Student Edt sill runs $200, which is cheap compared to most other packages such as CAD, Visio, and most deveopment tools. Plus you get access to the LAN/WAN. If I were the IT Manager at NBCCSJ I would flat out refuse to allow anything but a NBCCSJ approved, owned, and LOCKED DOWN PC on the LAN. It would be a support nightmare.

tred816
01-27-2007, 01:17 PM
There should be a rebate when you return it at least!
Wow!
That's as much as the tuition was when I went.

Pumpkin
01-28-2007, 11:32 PM
Well that's just it, I agree with them for doing it this way, mandatory for the computers to be theirs and the software...BUT

You should atleast get to leave with what you paid for, or like the last person mentioned get a rebate. I mean if you can go out and buy a new lap top at $1200 why should you be made to pay $1500 per year for a "used" laptop which you have to return. So some people would be paying up to $3000 and more for a two year or more course.

And then you leave with what? An education where you may get a job in that field of study, a field of study that in a job may pay you up to 12$ per hour if your lucky, and a nice 7-8 thousand dollars loan you are now in debt for and no laptop to show for, that you just paid double or more for and put yourself into further debt more!

Sure, I don't blame them for doing it this way. It is less cause for confusion, BUT, they need to make a deal with IBM or some company, and start buying their comps through them and same with the software. Charge the student a flat one time price of $2000 and thn when the student leaves, so does the laptop and new students get "NEW" laptops and so on.....makes more sense to me

To me it is a big rip off, and I will not pay it.
Not everyone can afford to throw out 3 grand or more!!!

trinity
01-29-2007, 06:39 AM
Then they should at least allow you the option of purchasing just the computer programs on a year-to-year license, and installing it on your own laptop. If you choose this option, then you don't get support included beyond the normal tech support for buying MS office for example.

Pumpkin
01-30-2007, 09:32 AM
I am sure there are many ways that they could do it and all while still keeping the calm and keeping cofusion away...but really unless something is done and someone stands up and says something and pursues this...I doubt they will change it...They are getting 1200 or 1500 dollars each year per student for used lap top computer usuage...that is ALOT of money in their pockets if u ask me. and we the students get nothing except a lovely new huge debt load to stress about.

kendrajoy
01-30-2007, 04:08 PM
Hey everyone..
I had taken office admin course out at the college but i was only going part time because I had credits from the business program as well. I had to pay a fee as well to use a laptop it wasnt 1200 hundred dollars but it was around 300 or so but because I was only considered part time I was not allowed to bring the laptop home I had to return it to It Services at the end of every day..it was a huge pain!! I was allowed to bring it home once I could choose between a night or the weekend but once i took it home i wasnt allowed to bring it home again.If I had homework to do I had to either try to finish it at school or go in early the next day to get it done...let me tell you I am glad that I am finally done!!

Luvz_ya
01-30-2007, 09:42 PM
That is so stupid , they shouldn't be allowed to do that , and if you own a laptop you should be able to bring it to and from school thats a big downer

trinity
01-31-2007, 04:09 PM
Especially since the AD online touts its "convenience" for mature students with jobs and families, no "need" to return to campus after hours to get course work.

subaru2222
02-28-2007, 02:38 PM
I was in the first ever laptop course at the College. 2001 Computer Programming Technology. We had the option to buy the laptop at the end of the 2 years for $600.00 but they were 500 MHz laptops not really worth $600.00 for a 2 year old laptop. But we had a blast in the course. Hard as heck but you know still great.

Pumpkin
02-28-2007, 05:03 PM
That is still crazy that you would have to buy it out at the end, it should be yours to take at 1200$ per year. That is truly a rip off and why they are allowed to use the students money like this is simply STUPID. They carry on about students and their debt loads coming out of school, yet they keep piling on their bull@%$!....

It's just like gas prices.... everyone is complaining they can't afford to drive their cars yet they keep bringing up the price. They are working against us instead of with us.