PDA

View Full Version : Halloweenie tricks & treats

puppyluv
10-30-2007, 06:01 PM
So, did you get some goodies for the kids tomorrow night? WHen do you close your door/shut off the lights?
What age is too old to trick or treat?

We shut down around 7 or so...seems then we get the 16 yr olds in masks..and that is just a little too creepy for me.

We used to get allot of kids around here..But now I think we would be surprised to see 50! The past few years we have had soda. chips and candy abgs all left over for weeks!

How about you guys?

Mandi
10-30-2007, 06:28 PM
Last year I lived on Elliot Row. not a single trick or treater. we had 100 treat bags. ... yeah it sucked. This year I made up 60 with twizlers, candy bars, gum, and 3 different kinds of chocolate. yum yum. I wouldn`t shut my door to older kids. I say if they want to preserve that part of their youth, or just get free candy, they could be doing worse things!

mizunderstood
10-30-2007, 07:00 PM
my kids are soooo excited about "treats:" (my 2 year old can't say trick or treat) Were just doing the mall for about an hr or less, then just gonna stop at my moms, and a couple friends. I remember when we were kids we would trick or treat until every light was out.. lol.. we'd be soooo tired and dad would always say just one more house...
I often wonder if halloween is for the kids or the parents??? lol..
I don't have a problem giving candy to the teens as long as they are wearing a costume, if they are just coming around in jeans and a tshirt I tell them sorry.

Crystalbeach
10-30-2007, 10:18 PM
We get between 200-250 kids here...they usually start about 5:30 and by 7:30 or so we are done..
I enjoy the little ones coming and if I have any left I don't mind giving to the older kids..

mommyd
10-31-2007, 12:52 PM
I totally agree!! 18/19.. i'd be a little dissapointed if i saw kids that old doing the trick or treating thing.. but under that i see no problem at all. It's still fun at that age. And honestly, i'd rather see a 16 year old going around then a parent taking around a 2 year old. (not that i have a problem with parent's taking their young kids around. I'm probably just biased.. because my son is 4 and has never had actual candy. He's never asked for it and he enjoys fruits and vegetables. So in my mind, i just don't get how parents can give 2 year olds sticky treats of surgary mess.. But that's just my opinion :)

Last year I lived on Elliot Row. not a single trick or treater. we had 100 treat bags. ... yeah it sucked. This year I made up 60 with twizlers, candy bars, gum, and 3 different kinds of chocolate. yum yum. I wouldn`t shut my door to older kids. I say if they want to preserve that part of their youth, or just get free candy, they could be doing worse things!

jdcb
10-31-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm taking my 5 month old daughter out to some places tonight, I'm taking a treat bag with me...

mommyd
10-31-2007, 03:04 PM
i took my son to the mall last year and he collected treats, he had fun.
I meant the parents that give such young children candy to eat..

I'm taking my 5 month old daughter out to some places tonight, I'm taking a treat bag with me...

jdcb
10-31-2007, 03:07 PM
i took my son to the mall last year and he collected treats, he had fun.
I meant the parents that give such young children candy to eat..

any candy we collect this year is totally for the mom and dad...

trinity
10-31-2007, 05:36 PM
OK, it's 6:36 and I have had ONE person. I see crowds of kids out on the streets, I live basically ground floor, the porch light is on, front door windows curtains open, carved pumpkin in my window, the porch door is propped open- it's weird!
spoke too soon, just had about 10 in 6 minutes. was hoping i didn't spend 15 bucks on candy for nothing.

ksbeckaa
10-31-2007, 05:59 PM
wow , two kids......a world record

puppyluv
10-31-2007, 06:48 PM
*sigh* we have so much stuff left.....

Mandi
10-31-2007, 06:58 PM
*sigh* we have so much stuff left.....

Bring er on here! mmm. I wish I weren't sick. Hubby took the youngin out, so I feel bad taking her candy.

AreWeThereYetMom
10-31-2007, 07:12 PM
We're down about 50 kids this year. About 140 at the door so far tonight.
Noticed more in strollers this year with the siblings filling a second bag for the little ones.
Sadly, quite a few adults this year with shopping carts following their kids :mad:
I found most of the traffic came through between 545 and 6:30 then the wind picked up.

Chinna Dah
10-31-2007, 08:22 PM
We bought enough for 150.....we had 26

sanstu
10-31-2007, 08:55 PM
I had 25 this year, last year I had 10. I was surprised that most of the kids this year appeared to be 10yrs and up. I too have a pile of bars and chips left! Yummy!!!

(need to find a great hiddin' place for the left over candy. Don't want my kids to find it! hehehe)

trinity
11-01-2007, 07:04 AM
I think I had 36-40. I started out giving one bag of chips and one bar, I only bought 24 chips so I ran out, then I got rid of about a dozen bags of nutrigrain munchems and other snacks that we weren't eating ( we like them but for some reason they have been just sitting taking up cupboard space and I was tired of looking at them), the last two I gave two bars. Boy are those kids going to be surprised when they pull out a bag of All bran bites LOL. (they got a reese's too). I was the only one in the building giving out anything apparently.

Vix
11-01-2007, 12:38 PM
I took my daughter out who's 10 last night and my dad had a werewolf costume so I thought I'd go in character as my daughters Pet Werewolf. I didn't take a bag for me and everytime someone asked "where is your sack, werewolf"...I always motioned no thanks and my daughter would say "that's just my pet werewolf,she doesn't want any, she's on a diet"...lol but they would put extra treats in her bag for me anyways....Halloween is so much more fun if your dressed up rather than just walking around with your little one... :)

Vix

FutureChief88
11-01-2007, 01:11 PM
I dont see the problem with letting a child enjoy a treat here and there..
Obviously not overloading a young shild.. But my daughter has had candy and treats.. Only about once a week. Half her treat bag goes in the garbage.. Or Daddy as we like to call him.. lol and the rest is pretty much spanned out over ther year. Its ncie that they get to enjoy a little treat every now and then..

and you took your child out and he didnt want to eat the candy he got?

But same with my daughter.. she prefers veggies and fruit!

I totally agree!! 18/19.. i'd be a little dissapointed if i saw kids that old doing the trick or treating thing.. but under that i see no problem at all. It's still fun at that age. And honestly, i'd rather see a 16 year old going around then a parent taking around a 2 year old. (not that i have a problem with parent's taking their young kids around. I'm probably just biased.. because my son is 4 and has never had actual candy. He's never asked for it and he enjoys fruits and vegetables. So in my mind, i just don't get how parents can give 2 year olds sticky treats of surgary mess.. But that's just my opinion :)

mommyd
11-01-2007, 01:41 PM
and you took your child out and he didnt want to eat the candy he got?

But same with my daughter.. she prefers veggies and fruit!

no, he doesn't even know what candy is. :)
my whole point was it doesn't make sense how ppl can say trick or treating should be left "for the kids" and who think it's ridiculous when they see anyone over 13 doing it. Well, these days you're still a child until you're 18. If my son wants to dress up and make a fun night out of trick or treating on the 31st of october until then, i'd be happy he was still interested in such things. I went out until the 12th grade (grade 12 we "trick or treated" for canned goods for charity, but they still gave us candy too. ) It's just a fun activity to do. The more the merrier right? :)
I was more taling about the ppl who have a problem with older children trick or treating than the younger ones being taken out.

puppyluv
11-01-2007, 07:09 PM
condemn me all you want.. I still dont give to young adults. Nor will I next year.

mommyd
11-01-2007, 07:37 PM
good for you

FutureChief88
11-02-2007, 08:16 AM
No i agree.. I think as long as someone makes a good effort to dress up.. Ill give them candy.. I dont care how old they are.. Even if they are mon or dad out with the kids.. dressed up.. U get some candy..lol

Mandi
11-02-2007, 08:46 AM
No i agree.. I think as long as someone makes a good effort to dress up.. Ill give them candy.. I dont care how old they are.. Even if they are mon or dad out with the kids.. dressed up.. U get some candy..lol

-giggle- I agree! I gave to some of the kid's parents when I saw that there weren't many kids coming and we would have the extra treat bag.