PDA

View Full Version : Exchanging Canadian Money and Visa info....

shadoww
10-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Should I exchange my Canadian money before I go to Bangor? If so what does the bank charge?

Also has anyone heard that Visa is charging a $2.50 service charge for each purchases we use our visa on over the border? My friend told me this but I have made several purchases online in American this past month and wasnt charged a service charge on my statement I got, is it only certain banks if so? She deals with RBC I deal with CIBC. She also told me that you have to call and warn Visa you are going stateside and may make purchases or they may decline your purchases. Anyone else hear of this??

Thanks!

KRS
10-30-2007, 11:41 AM
I just returned from North Conway and Freeport this past weekend and used my Visa for every purchase. Nothing was declined and I was not charged any service charges. I am also with RBC.

Also, I took down $80 American and ended up returning with $45. Might not want to take that much cash with you.

shadoww
10-31-2007, 09:17 AM
Thanks! I am going to go to the bank and get a cpl hundred American and use my Visa for the rest. I thought it didnt sound right about the $2.50 service charge, I dont know where she got that idea!

magoosmomma
10-31-2007, 11:13 AM
I had heard anything about a service charge...hmmm

I am exchanging cash at the Bank too..I just keep watching the exchange rates..

redbridgelane
11-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Due to going down to Bangor to buy a motorbike and the deal went sour I have $900 in American money I would sell for par if anyone wants to?? Send me a message if your interested!

christine chittick
11-23-2007, 07:53 AM
I have used my RBC Visa for online purchases in the US the last few weeks, and my new statement came in the other day, and wasn't charged any fees.

rpokane
11-23-2007, 03:04 PM
I think it's 2.5 %, and it's hidden within the cost of the conversion.

redbridgelane
11-24-2007, 08:29 AM
That is why I am selling the money instead of putting it back. I was charged $81 to take the money out ($2800). 2 days later when I went to put it back they wanted another $110 to put it back??? that $190 to give me money and take it back!!! i couldnt do that on principal so I have been selling it to people at par.