PDA

View Full Version : Childrens Foam Bath Soap...!!!

Yoda1808
01-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Please becareful if you buy your children the Foam Bath Soap...

My 5yr old used this product and in less then 2 days later broke out into spots, all over his body, head to toe..

He is now taking ReActine for Kids, which is working Great..!!

stjfairy
01-10-2007, 06:56 PM
if its hives (my son gets them all the time from soap and detergents) there is kids benydryl that is fantastic as well, oral, or a spray.

hiph0p
01-10-2007, 07:36 PM
i buy my boys foam soap they use it almost ever bath and never had a problem with it

pepsimama
01-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Make sure to look out for certain detergent ingredients on the labels. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) are often a culprit in hives and itchy allergic reactions. These are the ingredients that makes the product foam. There are other foaming products on the market that contain much gentler foaming agents, such as Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate (SLSA) and Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate (SCI).

Other ingredients that can cause the itchy hives is fragrance, both synthetic and essential oils. Colours, and citric acid if present in high concentrations. Really, there are so many different ingredients that one can be allergic to, that it's hard to know what to use sometimes. I personally enjoy powdered milk in the bath. It makes a nice gentle foam, turns my water milky and just feels plain luxurious.

That being said, I certainly hope your son feels better soon. :)

Mandi
01-10-2007, 09:04 PM
My daughter LOVES the bath soap, we just have a shower after she has her bath so that she's nice and clean. leaving it on will cause rashes. But everyones skin is different... ivory soap breaks me out BADLY . I ean skin cracks and bleeding from one aplication... which seems odd because it's all natural. We use the Disney character foam soaps though, and haven't ever had a problem, it's not the product that's bad, its the fact everyone is different. I hope your little one is ok though :D

Yoda1808
01-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Maybe that's why he broke out, I don't think he rewashed his body..??

I hope he gets better soon, his birthday is Thursday.. lol

tred816
01-11-2007, 06:02 PM
I'm terribly allergic to Sulphur and anything that derives from it. It's rare, but Sulpha allergies are quite common though. I can't use much in the form of make up, cleaners etc.. because most of them have sulfates, sulfites etc... even brocoli and onions, matches etc... Your little fella should be checked if you find he continues to have these reactions.
I find it strange that it took 2 days to break out though. I'd expect if it was allergies to the soap, he should have shown signs within a few hours.

momof2sweethearts
02-07-2007, 05:12 PM
My sisters children have really sensitive skin and she had the same problem. When she took them to the doctor he told her that it is the shampoo mixed with the bubble bath that causes the reaction. Now she washes their hair first and then baths them and she doesn't have a problem.

Misty589
02-07-2007, 06:33 PM
i don't think that has anything to do with the soap being "bad" or anything it just sounds like your son is sensitive.................but if it took 2 days to break into spots it could be an allergy to something else, that seems like a long time for a reaction to occur

painlessjoe
03-19-2007, 08:26 PM
Please, remember that foam bath soaps sold in stores and including natural product stores, may have bad ingredients which your kids could have bad allergy reaction to them. Soaps like Dove, Ivory, baby soaps, etc. do not show any ingredients in the wrappings and that is why you should not buy those. Always look for the ingredients on the wrappings. Such ingredients as: " sulphate, chloride, phosphate, acids, alcohol and sodium of all kinds.

It pays to shop and read ingredients on containers and I, for one, and my wife do read them carefully.

Good Luck

Joe

pepsimama
03-20-2007, 06:54 AM
Please, remember that foam bath soaps sold in stores and including natural product stores, may have bad ingredients which your kids could have bad allergy reaction to them. Soaps like Dove, Ivory, baby soaps, etc. do not show any ingredients in the wrappings and that is why you should not buy those. Always look for the ingredients on the wrappings. Such ingredients as: " sulphate, chloride, phosphate, acids, alcohol and sodium of all kinds.

The thing about allergies is that anybody can be allergic to anything. Hypoallergenic doesn't mean that you can't be allergic to it. It means that it doesn't contain some of the more common allergy triggers (eggs, citrus, nuts, latex, etc)

A new law came into effect in November 2006, making it mandatory for all cosmetics sold in Canada (including soap) to be labelled in accordance with international cosmetic ingredient standard labelling. This standard is called INCI and requires that all ingredients be fully declared using the botanical or chemical name. This is why you will now see ingredients that look latin or like a high school chemistry periodic table. INCI is used because it is essentially understood worldwide. No longer can manufacturers make up ingredients under a brand name to hide what a component actually is. This is a great thing for the consumer! Unfortunately, it will require a period of self-education on the part of the consumer to learn and understand what some of these latin and chemical terms mean.

So what's in a name? It is ill-advised then to paint all ingredients as undesirable based on only part of their chemical or botanical name. In the example above, sodium was indicated as an ingredient to be avoided but the truth is that chemically speaking, sodium is all around us, combined with other elements to make different products.

Sodium chloride (NaCl) is table salt and while it's best to ingest it in moderation, it's presence in a cosmetic isn't likely to harm anybody.

Sodium hydroxide (NaOH) is lye and very caustic however absolutely necessary for making soap. When it's combined with an oil (fatty acids), it becomes soap, which is chemically a salt. Sodium hydroxide plus Coconut Oil becomes Sodium Cocoate. Combined with olive oil becomes Sodium Olivate. With beef fat (tallow) it becomes Sodium Tallowate (which makes up 80% of the commercially manufactured soaps on the market today).

We've all heard that alcohol in a cosmetic can be drying to the skin, but that doesn't mean that ALL alcohols are bad. For example, Stearyl alcohol is an emollient, used to prevent dry chapped skin.

Magnesium sulfate is Epsom Salts, great for a muscle soothing soak in the tub.

There's also the famous DiHydrogen Monoxide scare that had people signing petitions to get it banned, only to find out that it was good old water.

The best thing when learning about the chemical names of ingredients now is to understand the whole name, not just part of it. There are many many places on the internet to learn what these ingredients are. Some of the sites you will find use scare tactics and are usually pushing an agenda. Go with a definition that uses neutral language and gives just the facts, then make your own decision about ingredients you want to use or not.

I know this was a long post but I'm happy to help if anybody has any questions about anything I've written here, or even about ingredients that you may have been wondering about. I will do what I can to help. :)

Have a great day!