PDA

View Full Version : LF: Computer help

coffeegal
10-17-2007, 05:46 PM
I haven't been able to properly watch videos and such on my computer, they either skip or freeze. I thought my flash player was outdated, I then installed an update but it didn't seem to make a difference. Anyone have any suggestions???

coffeegal
10-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Any ideas???

mike_d
10-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Could be a number of things that could cause this, but first I'd make sure your video/audio drivers are up to date. If you haven't done so yet, you may also want to install a good codec pack(I needed to download one to play some TV episodes).

Below is a weblink that has alot of helpful solutions to help you fix this issue:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071008211441AAlfs92

:)

coffeegal
10-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks Mike, I am going to give it a try:D

coffeegal
10-23-2007, 05:24 PM
Videos still freeze and skip, anyone have any other ideas???

jamez
10-23-2007, 05:31 PM
freezing using media player etc? how much ram do you have. 512 is not enough.

KRS
10-24-2007, 12:02 PM
I recommend downloading VLC Media Player. Google it. If you are still having problems PM me.

coffeegal
10-27-2007, 03:48 PM
I have various media players on my computer, does anyone know how you can "choose" which media player to use??? I have not been able to watch videos, ie youtube, because they stick and freeze, I downloaded the recommended media player from KRS, but I don't know how to "make" the computer use that one to try and watch a video. If anyone has any ideas, they would be appreciated, thanks

jamez
10-28-2007, 09:21 PM
start/control panel/default programs. and select which files open with which programs. for vista. i would imagine it's the same or similar for xp. or you can right click the file and select ( open with-)there should be a list of programs. you shouldn't need any more than 2 or 3 media players. i use media player, and mpc star which playes just about anything. have you tried doing a system cleanup.disk cleanup,regristry cleaner,virus scan,defrag,memory check,ect. LIVE ONE CARE has a good system cleanup and it's free.

KRS
10-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Hi Coffegal. Are you downloading these movies? ( As in you have the file itself saved on your computer)
Or are you trying to play them from a website like youtube for example?

If you have the file on your computer then right click the file before opening it and do this:

--> Open With..
--> VLC Media Player

coffeegal
10-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Nothing downloaded, just sites like 'stupidest videos', and 'you tube'

Freudian
10-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Coffeegal,

You are referring to the various 'Streaming Video' websites. If these are going slow, here are a few things you should look into or try:

1. What speed of Internet do I have? Dial-up? Rogers Hi-Speed U-Lite, Lite, Express, Extreme? Aliant Hi-Speed/Ultra?

2. When you select a streaming video to start on a website such as You Tube, let it buffer and then start playing. Once it starts playing, pause it and let the 'downloading' bar get to the end. Now, once the streaming video has fully downloaded, hit pause/play on the web applet and then you can enjoy your streaming video with less jerkyness.

The problem may be that your Internet connection is too slow to keep up with the streaming media, or than the source *aka YouTube servers* may just not have enough speed to send you the video w/o it stuttering, in which cause you would try suggestion #2. Even if you have a really slow Internet connection, suggestion #2 will still work.

Hope this helps, if not, at least you will possibly learned something new.

Andrew

Nothing downloaded, just sites like 'stupidest videos', and 'you tube'

coffeegal
10-31-2007, 07:25 AM
I did a little of what everyone recommended, and low and behold, I think the problem is fixed, woo-hoo!!! Not sure what individual to thank, so a big thank you to all that offered advice!