PDA

View Full Version : Old Boy

Oolong
10-16-2007, 06:16 PM
Drucifer introduced me to this neat little Korean film. Without spoiling it too much, I'd describe it as The Count of Monte Cristo meets Oedipus Rex meets Titus Andronicus. If you enjoy movie villains that are always several steps ahead of the protagonists, a la Jigsaw from the Saw films, and so forth, you may want to check out Old Boy.

KRS
10-17-2007, 08:08 AM
I have seen Old Boy, it was dubbed of course with subtitles. This was a pretty good movie and I recommend it as well. FYI, this is the movie the shooter @ Virginia Tech was a big fan of...

Drucifer
10-17-2007, 05:08 PM
Glad you enjoyed it. :biggrin:

Oldboy had a prequal, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, and a sequel, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. I haven't seen them yet myself but I hear they aren't as good as Oldboy.

nadia.m.
10-17-2007, 07:02 PM
No, the other two of the trilogy aren't as good, but are both worth watching. Old boy is a great movie and I really liked the surprise ending.

Oolong
10-17-2007, 07:20 PM
I like that Oh Daesu's imprisonment and psychological torture were for seemingly insignificant reasons, until of course Woojin's story is told. You almost feel sorry for the guy in the end, if he wasn't so deviously clever.

I didn't think there'd be this many people that have seen Old Boy here. Kudos, fellow ISaint John memebers!

Drucifer
10-18-2007, 10:31 AM
I agree with Oolong, I wasn't expecting anyone here on the forum to have actually seen the movie before.

Now go watch Funny Games in anticipation for the remake that is coming out. The original is from 1997 and it was written and directed by Michael Haneke.

Enjoy. :biggrin:

Oolong
10-25-2007, 01:34 PM
I will never trust young Germans in shorts again.