PDA

View Full Version : High rates of C-sections in the province

sarahnb
10-15-2007, 12:04 PM
PUSHING BACK - CAESAREANS IN NEW BRUNSWICK

Caesareans save lives and save health. But, as the Canadian Institute for Health Information says, the procedure involves risks for mother and baby, so high caesarean rates are of concern. So why would New Brunswick have such an increase in the proportion of births by caesarean and have a higher than average rate in a country with a very high rate? More importantly, why are there such large differences between regions of the province in the rate of births by caesarean? Why do we have rates as high as 48% in Restigouche health region in 2005-2006, when the World Health Organization says anything over 15% is inappropriate use? Is the increasing number of babies born at low birth weights related to our high rate of caesarean births? The news last week that, compared to the Canadian average of 26% of births by caesarean, New Brunswick had 29% of births by caesarean in 2005-2006, was disconcerting.

Some countries are taking action because their rates of births by caesarean are approaching 20%. We have regions much higher than that - Restigouche region at 48%, Fredericton and Miramichi regions at 32% of all births being via caesarean.

- Excerpt, column by Chairperson Ginette Petitpas Taylor, July 2007

mizunderstood
10-15-2007, 05:58 PM
WOW all I can say is WOW. THats a lot of c-sections...

JustWatching
10-16-2007, 08:30 AM
There could be a lot more to it than this....I know some sections are needed....but I'd boil it ALL down to convenience....this is how we live....pick the date....the parents know....the doctors know....no getting up through the night rushing to the hospital...it's all planned....it is convenient for everyone....that it how society wants things...

MichelleM
10-16-2007, 09:57 AM
I didn't think that they dr's would let you do that here. That they will only give you one if needed not because you want to plan ahead

magoosmomma
10-16-2007, 12:13 PM
There could be a lot more to it than this....I know some sections are needed....but I'd boil it ALL down to convenience....this is how we live....pick the date....the parents know....the doctors know....no getting up through the night rushing to the hospital...it's all planned....it is convenient for everyone....that it how society wants things...

I agree!!

sarahnb
10-16-2007, 01:26 PM
I think the reason behind them being so high in the province is the doctor shortage. It's more convenient for the doctors the schedule a csection. Easier to manage their time.

MichelleM
10-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Could it be because baby's are now getting larger

The_Dave
10-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Could it be because baby's are now getting larger

Or maybe the physical condition of the Mother? We are after all the city and province that are in the worst shape of all of Canada.

mizunderstood
10-17-2007, 04:46 PM
I think the reason behind them being so high in the province is the doctor shortage. It's more convenient for the doctors the schedule a csection. Easier to manage their time.

I agree...I believe its more of convience. More convient for the dr, the mom, and everyone involved... I mean honestly if you can have that baby on the due date instead of carrying it around for an extra week or 2 in huge amounts of pain, most would do it I think..
luckily I had both mine right on their due date :) I think of C-Secs and I think of the old days when you wre cut side to side, front to back and it took forever to heal, no way I wanted to have one... I know they are not that bad, its just what I think of when I hear the word... I personally would rather push a big headed baby out than have scars and staples and such... Just my 2 cents worth... Have a wonderful wednesday!

Cherry Pop
10-25-2007, 11:29 PM
I think it depends on the mother's situation. Some people have to have them. If I ever have another child, I have no choice, I will have to have one!

FutureChief88
10-26-2007, 02:07 PM
As well as me.. I have a bicornuate Uterus.. and have no choice but to have a c-section.. Because like 95% pf people with this defect ahve babies that end up in the breech position. Then if you have had one baby this way, the risks associated with attempting a Vbac are not sokething i want to risk.. I will DEF be having on this time around as well..

mizunderstood
10-26-2007, 07:41 PM
so you are preggers futurechief??? I was wondering about ya!

mickeymouse
10-26-2007, 10:51 PM
I had a c-section, I remember turning to the Dr. and asking for it. I was induced with the jell Thursday, went back for the second time at 5pm and then went home. I went back to the hospital 11pm Thursday and my son was finally born at 3:30am Saturday. I only dilated 7cm. I had every drug possible in that time, and still was in the pain. Nurses couldn't figure out why I wasn't feeling anything during the contractions but still in pain, from him pushing down in the back. When the Dr. came back in to check me at 2ish I remember just looking at him and saying "can't you just take him." And he said yeah I guess we should. So I think sometimes it depends on the situation.

kaj27
10-27-2007, 01:01 PM
I agree...I believe its more of convience. More convient for the dr, the mom, and everyone involved... I mean honestly if you can have that baby on the due date instead of carrying it around for an extra week or 2 in huge amounts of pain, most would do it I think..
luckily I had both mine right on their due date :) I think of C-Secs and I think of the old days when you wre cut side to side, front to back and it took forever to heal, no way I wanted to have one... I know they are not that bad, its just what I think of when I hear the word... I personally would rather push a big headed baby out than have scars and staples and such... Just my 2 cents worth... Have a wonderful wednesday!

How is it more convenient for the doctor? First you have to schedule the surgery then you need an anesthesiologist and nurses. And it doesn't take 10 Minutes like the TV Shows. Then on top of all that you need to have check ups with the patient because of the surgery.

mizunderstood
10-27-2007, 01:10 PM
When I referred to it being convient I meant that the drs can "plan" their schedules a little better than if they are just on call, or just on duty that nite. Yes I realize not all C-sections are 10 minutes start to finish. But drs know generally how long a section should take barring any unforseen circumstances. They can plan the amount of patients they can see on a particular day, they know typically how often they will have to check on patients, how many, etc.
Our drs and nurses are over worked and stressed out so I think it is a good way for them to keep control on their lives. I am just happy that I didn;t need one with my kids. But I was there when my sister had both hers and I know they are no fun.

bubbles
11-09-2007, 11:58 PM
I dont believe that doctors prefer to do c-sections at all. There is alot more at risk having a c-section for the mother and the baby and the doctors (or at least my doctor) will let you know. I had a section 10 yrs ago and it was awful. The recovery is so much longer and more painful. Because i had a previous section i now have the choice to opt for a section for this baby. I think the reason for the higher rates is that people are given the option to have a section if they already had one even if they are likely to be able to deliver natural.

habsfan10
11-10-2007, 07:27 AM
I had two sections...the second was much harder than the first. Yes...very painful. Both boys and almost 9 lbs each. Just wouldn't dialate past 4. These had to be done. If I want a third(which I don't think so.....)it would have to be by section. The scars tissues could tear during regular delivery.

megz
11-10-2007, 08:22 AM
How is it more convenient for the doctor? First you have to schedule the surgery then you need an anesthesiologist and nurses. And it doesn't take 10 Minutes like the TV Shows. Then on top of all that you need to have check ups with the patient because of the surgery.

i had a planned c-section.... i was in the room at 8am had the baby at 8:28 ... and was out 15 minutes later in the recovery room.... so it does not take that long.. they have everything they need already layed out... and there is no check ups lol there is a week one , where u get the staples out... a nurse at the hospital does that and then u have ur normal 6 week check up... they tell u what to look for incase of infection

momof2sweethearts
11-14-2007, 09:03 AM
I had a c-section for my first not scheduled but I wasn't progressing so we opted for the section. My second pregnancy my doctor didn't even ask if I wanted to have a natural birth they assumed I was having a c-section. So I do agree that drs do schedule sections now because they get paid more and sections are quicker. I could have asked for natural but I kept it sceduled. It was also convenient for me too as I had a child to prepare to stay somewhere while we were in the hospital. I knew the day I was going to have my second baby well before I was due.
Now I never had any problems with either of my sections. I was walking around the next day after the operation not without some pain though. The scar is just a little line under your belly which is hidden and the scar goes away a year after the operation.(unless you get an infection) So I am pro c-sections for those who decide to have one but as far as I know you can't ask for a c-section without health reasons for your first. I personally think that should change I think it should be the womans choice but that is off topic here so I'll leave it at the #1 reason for the increase of c-sections is convenience. If we were like the states though and had to pay for them out of our pocket you would see a significant drop in them in North America.

FutureChief88
11-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Yes Miz.. I am!! Not when we thought i might have been.. cause i am only 7 weeks and 3 days today! YAY! so excited.. I was having some bleeding.. and bad things happeneing.. the baby was making me crazy! I went for my final Ultrasound to the trilogy.. and the heartbeat was there 134 BPM.. which was strong for a 6 wk 5 day old pregnancy! i swear.. almost as soon as they were done.. is topped bleeding.. I had bled for almost 2 weeks straight! ... little bugger... giving me troubles already :)

mizunderstood
11-14-2007, 04:43 PM
he/she has some good fight in them... its a good sign! :)

FutureChief88
11-15-2007, 07:32 AM
Yes it is.. Or i was just freaking out over nothing..LOL
But i am due June 29th.. so i will prolly have the baby on June 22nd.. speaking of c-sections.. lol
It will be booked for about a week before the due date! Im excited for another.. But i will be having my tubes tied after this one! lol

mommyd
11-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Now I never had any problems with either of my sections. I was walking around the next day after the operation not without some pain though. The scar is just a little line under your belly which is hidden and the scar goes away a year after the operation.(unless you get an infection) So I am pro c-sections for those who decide to have one but as far as I know you can't ask for a c-section without health reasons for your first. I personally think that should change I think it should be the womans choice but that is off topic here so I'll leave it at the #1 reason for the increase of c-sections is convenience. .

Hey that's awesome you don't have a scar, but i don't think you should be telling ppl that the scar just disappeares..I had absolutely no problems or infections and i still have a bit of a scar.. 4 years later. Definately didn't disapear after one year.

mommyd
11-19-2007, 11:45 AM
i had a planned c-section.... i was in the room at 8am had the baby at 8:28 ... and was out 15 minutes later in the recovery room.... so it does not take that long.. they have everything they need already layed out... and there is no check ups lol there is a week one , where u get the staples out... a nurse at the hospital does that and then u have ur normal 6 week check up... they tell u what to look for incase of infection

i don't think they use staples anymore. They didn't for me..i had stitches that dissolved.

Cherry Pop
11-19-2007, 09:21 PM
i don't think they use staples anymore. They didn't for me..i had stitches that dissolved.

They use staples for other surgeries. I think it really depends how much time they have. If they have lots of time they will stitch you up but if they are running out of OR time than they staple ya cause it's quicker. I had surgery in Feb and trust me they used staples...getting them out was not fun!!!

mommyd
11-19-2007, 10:13 PM
oh i'm sorry to hear that :(

Well i'm glad they had time for me or i wouldn't have been able to leave the hospital when i did (the nextday) to drive to halifax to be with my son. He was air lifted to the IWK.

They use staples for other surgeries. I think it really depends how much time they have. If they have lots of time they will stitch you up but if they are running out of OR time than they staple ya cause it's quicker. I had surgery in Feb and trust me they used staples...getting them out was not fun!!!

megz
11-20-2007, 09:17 AM
getting staples out doesnt hurt at alll... i had 16 from a c section... i thought it felt good when they took them out it didnt feel as "tight" .... it just feels like ur taking an infected earing out..... doesnt hurt at all

christine chittick
11-20-2007, 11:24 AM
I agree, getting the staples out doesn't hurt at all....

Cherry Pop
11-20-2007, 01:06 PM
Well I'm a wimp so it did hurt for me. I had 29 staples for my last surgery.

christine chittick
11-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Ha, should see me and needles. People say they don't hurt, but they do for me. Weird eh?

sanstu
11-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Well I'm a wimp so it did hurt for me. I had 29 staples for my last surgery.

I don't think I'm a wimp and boy I thought they hurt like heck! I had an emergency C section, many staples, complications before and after the birth, 2week stay in the hospital, twins in NICU, stressed out and had they been the first(instead of the last) I would have had only 2 children instead of 5! The next surgery was my husbands:rolleyes: !!! hehehe......

FutureChief88
11-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Weird.. I was Glued.. LOL

Stitched on the inside.. and they glued the top layer.. But it split on each end cause i didnt take it easy.. ooops..

Cherry Pop
11-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Weird.. I was Glued.. LOL

Stitched on the inside.. and they glued the top layer.. But it split on each end cause i didnt take it easy.. ooops..

Was the glue "Human Glue"? They tried something called "Human Glue" on me on the inside of my body but it didn't work! I didn't really ask what Human Glue was at the time because the name sounds so creepy!

Cherry Pop
11-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Ha, should see me and needles. People say they don't hurt, but they do for me. Weird eh?

You should see me and needles! I feel like I should be use to them by now but I don't think I'll ever get use to them. IVs are the worst. The nurses can never get them in me and instead of calling the IV team like they are suppose too they poke me like a million times then finally when the people from the IV team arrive they freak at the nurses for poking me so many times. Man I hate them. Heparin needles are bad too. They make me all black & blue and it looks like someone beat me up!

mizunderstood
11-21-2007, 10:34 PM
I know that feeling Cherry. My veins are sooo small they still have to use the butterfly on me. lol and I am 26 years old! And I love when they argue that they can't use them on adults... And poke me 10 times then say oh yea maybe your right... GEE YA THINK???? lol