PDA

View Full Version : gyms

mizunderstood
10-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Does anyone have personal experience with gyms in town? I am thinking about joining one but I need something that is afforable, convient, prefer all women but not necessary. I only want to go once or 2x a week for now until I get going. Is it cheaper to pay per use for now? Can you do that? any info would be great.
p.s. one with babysitting would be even better if afforable.

StephRan
10-12-2007, 04:58 PM
I used to have a year long Nubody's membership..I used it a total of 3 times because I moved away.

The Delta Brunswick also has memberships...the hotel business is obviously their specialty and not fitness facilities, but it is pretty good. The cost is $50.00 a month, with a min. of a 3 month commitment (no other fees), and then you have full access to the workout room, pool, hot tub, sauna and changing rooms/showers. The hours are from 5am-12:00am each day. Towels and everything are provided. There is also a childrens room with toys (but of course, if you were working out you would need to have someone supervising your children). They basically give you a swipe card to get in and out that deavtivates after 90 days or however long you pay for.

Chinna Dah
10-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Good life Fitness at superstore on rothesay ave, is all women, and have sitting service, no fees. they have a special on now, I just got a flyer something about joining for one dollar or something. I joined for 1 year, and I really enjoyed it. They have lots of treadmills, steppers and bikes, and the classes are great.

mizunderstood
10-12-2007, 06:13 PM
the one year you signed up for how much did it cost? how much per month?

Chinna Dah
10-12-2007, 09:04 PM
I paid 21.00 bi-weekly, but you can pay monthly also.

Chinna Dah
10-12-2007, 09:05 PM
also I think there was a sign up fee, but I dont recall what it was.

Lady_Athena
10-13-2007, 01:56 PM
I do not recomend Nubodys. They are all about the money and operate more like a fitness "club" than a gym. If they are even still here in the city. I did bodybuilding for a while and became sick and could not keep up with it. When I told them I was unable to work out because of illness and wanted to cancel my "contract" (which I signed when I was a minor with no one of legal age to witness) They laughed at me and told me the only way they could do that is if I moved to Antartica. Well they put in the collection agency!!! I did put a stop payment on their montly fee...but afterall I was not even using their facility and I was not going to pay!

The best place I ever worked out at was the Y, but I do not even know if it is the same building or has the same things anymore lol...Yeah I do not get out much lol A lot of the employees would know me by name and were extremely helpful if I ever had a question or needed help with something. As a child I was going there on a pass from a program for single mothers (not me, my mom) and my membership ran out. They knew I did not have the money to renew it so they gave it to me for free. ;) After all I was there every day after school like clock work lol.

Lady_Athena
10-13-2007, 01:58 PM
Beware of any gyms that have orange employee with big white raccoon rings around their eyes. Tanning may have fried their brain :p LOL

Chinna Dah
10-13-2007, 02:56 PM
I used to go to the YMCA years ago. I REALLY LOVED going there, BUT I just HATED the fact that they changed thier parking to paid parking,and I had to spend more money on parking as well as the membership fee. so I stopped going.

The new YMCA is in Prince Edward Mall, and have free parking..the problem now is all us Wyndham employees fill the underground parking so it my be hard to get a spot.

arielle
10-16-2007, 10:11 AM
The goodlife on Rothesay avenue in the superstore is all women. and there are many options you can look into right now it is a $1 to start. you can pay biweekly or monthly. They also have an option to go on aternating days and pay a cheaper amount. The day care is awesome the girls in there are great you can pay a drop in fee of $5 for 1 child or $7 for 2 children.or you can get them their own membership $16 bi weekly and they can go whenever they want they can stay in there for 2 hours at a time even if you want to go get groceries in peace just let the daycare know where you are. there is also an all women club in quispam superstore and there is a co-ed in quispam also and you can to anyone you want if you get the full membership. The group exercise clases are awesome and they just started new releases so its a good time to join. hope to see there!!!

Mandi
10-16-2007, 10:36 AM
The goodlife on Rothesay avenue in the superstore is all women. and there are many options you can look into right now it is a $1 to start. you can pay biweekly or monthly. They also have an option to go on aternating days and pay a cheaper amount. The day care is awesome the girls in there are great you can pay a drop in fee of $5 for 1 child or $7 for 2 children.or you can get them their own membership $16 bi weekly and they can go whenever they want they can stay in there for 2 hours at a time even if you want to go get groceries in peace just let the daycare know where you are. there is also an all women club in quispam superstore and there is a co-ed in quispam also and you can to anyone you want if you get the full membership. The group exercise clases are awesome and they just started new releases so its a good time to join. hope to see there!!!

Do they have a changing room / showers there? Now I'm so curious. I really need to loose these post baby pounds I'm dragging around :(

melissaanne
10-17-2007, 06:47 PM
They do have changing rooms and showers. Its a fantastic facility, really clean and nice.

As for the daycare, my regular sitter works there somedays and my boy loves going to her, she is great!

Chinna Dah
10-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Good Life is very clean too. the machines, bathrooms, and showers.

The_Dave
10-20-2007, 11:20 PM
If you join a club/gym, I recommend that you do it by the month for the first 3 months. See if you are going to keep the commitment. If you lock yourself in for one year and in say two months you lose your desire to keep going to the club/gym for whatever reason, you still have to continue to pay the monthly membership because you signed a contract. The only way to get out of your contractual obligation is with a medical note/forum filled out by your Doctor and the Doctor charges money for that. Also if you discontinue paying and put a stop payment on your void cheque you had given the club/gym to allow them to withdrawal from your bank account the monthly fee that you agreed to in your contract, then they will send your unpaid balance to a collection agency, thereby hurting your credit rating.

Bottom line, don't sign a contract, pay month to month until you are absolutely sure that working out on a regular basis long term is for you. Don't fall for the hard sell or the free gimmocks that they will throw at you. Also if you only want to work out once or twice a week to start, I recommend you get in touch with a friend who belongs to a club/gym and see if they can get you a free trial membership with NO obligation so you can see first hand if you want to go at all. These free trial memberships can be a couple of visits or a couple of weeks or a month, just depends on the place. Sign nothing until you are 100 percent sure.

If you do sign up for a membership, take the contract home and reread it over and over before you sign it. You are allowed to do this, if they say you are not allowed then you know that you don't want to do business with them.