10-12-2007, 12:24 PM
I have an

HP Pavilion 512n
Intel Inside
Celeron
Windows XP
60gb 256ram

I know it has viruses and none of my info is on it yet...I bought it 2nd hand
If I have a recovery disc for xp will that fix it?
Cause I think I do...

If not then what do I need and how do I do it?
And I also need advise on an Anti virus to use

Thanks in advance

mizunderstood
10-12-2007, 12:45 PM
recovery discs will format as long as they are the right ones for that pc. if you are not sure make new copies and format then. Good luck

mizunderstood
10-12-2007, 12:48 PM
on my pc ( i have a compaq) to make new discs go to start, all programs, pc help and tools, then recovery cd/dvd creator.

mattpage84
10-12-2007, 01:15 PM
if you dont have a recovery cd, but you have a copy of windows 2000 or up the best way to go is to do a fresh install, that will format the hd for ya and let ya start from scratch

fbisassy
10-12-2007, 02:34 PM
I have Microsoft Windows xp home edition version 2002 disc (no prod #) and I have a Windows xp home with sp1 reovery cd
I just checked and the one i want to format has windows xp
Any suggestions and/or advise is appreciated

When I boot it up I get my desktop w/icons and a big warning! Spyware threat has been detected on your PC.
Your computer has several fatal errors due to spyware activity.
Your IP address is -- --- --- --- and via this address an unauthorized access was gained by another couter. It is strongly recommended to install an antispyware software to close all security vulnerabilities.

That is what comes up.

mizunderstood
10-12-2007, 03:25 PM
I was told by hp that they need an hp disc to properly install/format. SO I am not sure how to do it other than that.. best of luck.

mattpage84
10-12-2007, 04:38 PM
i would just recommend starting from scratch, alot of viruses attach themselves to any av program if there already on ur system

maddmaxstar
10-12-2007, 04:59 PM
For a good free Anti-Virus, go to www.free-av.com and download Avira Antivir. It has a better rating for detections than AVG.