PDA

View Full Version : more US recalls...Not sure yet if Canada is affected...

mizunderstood
10-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Infant cough and cold remedies pulled from shelves
http://rochesterhomepage.net/media/jpg/P-BABYMEDSRECALL2007-10-11-1192143698.jpgLooking for a cough and cold medication for your infant? You won't find one anymore they were taken off store shelves today. Fourteen different brands were removed aimed at children ages two and younger. The recall is a voluntary recall by drug companies out of caution because the remedies have been linked to accidental overdoses. The recall comes just days before the U.S. Food and Drug Administration gets ready to rule on whether all cough and cold remedies for children should be removed from the market.

“I think what we've been talking about is that a lot of these medications have no indication of their usefulness in young children,” says Dr. Neil Heredeen, a pediatrician at Golisano Children’s Hospital at Strong who has one piece of advice for parents: throw away the cold and cold remedies.

“I'm saying 12 and under not to use cold and cough medicines, none of these cough, cold, decongestants really have any benefit for children under 12.”

While the recall affects medications for toddlers and infants, cough and cold medications for older children can also be difficult to accurately dose.

“If you ask me what's an appropriate dose I can't tell you an appropriate dose. It's not that we're trying to hide the information from parents, there's just no accurate dosing,” says Dr. Herendeen.

“Maybe not number one, but it's in the top two or three,” says Dr. John Benitez, director of the
</PLACE _extended="true">
</PLACENAME _extended="true">Finger Lakes
</PLACENAME _extended="true">Poison
</PLACENAME _extended="true">Control
</PLACETYPE _extended="true">Center at
</PLACE _extended="true">
</PLACENAME _extended="true">Strong
</PLACETYPE _extended="true">Hospital.

The poison control center received nearly 500 calls in 2006 from adults who were concerned they accidentally overdosed their children with an over-the-counter cough and cold medication. There were 284 calls for children under the age of five, 30% of which were due to parent error. There were an additional 152 calls for incorrect dosing of antihistamines to children under the age of five.

“You're trying to do the best thing you can for your child, and you're giving them a cough and cold medication that may contain acetaminophen already and if you think you need to give them some acetaminophen for the fever, for you may not realize you're double-dosing them with acetaminophen in that case,” says Benitez.

Additionally, Benitez says people often will dose by the child’s age rather than weight, a difference that can cause a severe adverse effect.

“If you don't read carefully what it says, then you're giving 10 times the dose, or 2 times the dose.“

Dr. Herendeen's advice to parents is simple stay away from the cough and cold medications and use traditional treatments.

“It's trying to clean out the nose for with the bulb syringe for young infants and using a humidifier, getting plenty of fluids, get your rest.”

There are also fever reducers on the market such as Children’sTylenol and Motrin. Dr. Herendeen says these are safe for parents to use, however, consult your pediatrician to determine the proper dosage for your child. The FDA is expected to make a ruling on child cough and cold medications on or around October 18<SUP _extended="true">th</SUP>.

Medications removed from store shelves:

Dimetapp Decongestant Plus Cough Infant Drops

Dimetapp Decongestant Infant Drops

Little Colds Decongestant Plus Cough

Little Colds Multi-Symptom Cold Formula

Pediacare Infant Drops Decongestant (contains pseudoephedrine)

Pediacare Infant Drops Decongestant Cough (contains pseudoephedrine)

Pediacare Infant Dropper Decongestant Cough (contains phenylephrine)

Pediacare Infant Dropper Long-Acting Cough

Pediacare Infant Dropper Decongestant and Cough (contains phenylephrine)

Robitussin Infant Cough DM Drops

Triaminic Infant & Toddler Thin Strips Decongestant

Triaminic Infant & Toddler Thin Strips Decongestant Plus Cough

Tylenol Concentrated Infants’ Drops Plus Cold

Tylenol Concentrated Infants’ Drops Plus Cold and Cough

http://rochesterhomepage.net/content/fulltext/?cid=13028

kaj27
10-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Those aren't really recalls. I think it's more of a caught ya.

Yes Canada is involved. Even Shoppers Drug Mart is pulling their products.

mizunderstood
10-11-2007, 10:02 PM
thanks kaj :)
I would consider it a recall only because that is what the story called it "The recall is a voluntary recall by drug companies out of caution because the remedies have been linked to accidental overdoses" and it was a voluntary recall since "The recall comes just days before the U.S. Food and Drug Administration gets ready to rule on whether all cough and cold remedies for children should be removed from the market. "
I am just sooo tired of every day there being a recall of some sort or another, it seems like nothing is safe anymore. I can't keep up with all the daily emails on the recalls... I wanna go live on a little island all alone to keep my kids safe...
I always thought the big things I had to worry about when I had kids was the drinking, drugs, sex, etc. But now it seems those things are the least of my worries...

mommyd
10-12-2007, 02:52 AM
basicly they're taking all this off the market because of all the dumb parents out there that don't know how to read labels.
It's not that this medication is unsafe, it's just there's so many ppl out there that can't be bothered to pay attention to what they give to their child, so much so that the drug companies have to do it for them.

magoosmomma
10-12-2007, 07:50 AM
basicly they're taking all this off the market because of all the dumb parents out there that don't know how to read labels.
It's not that this medication is unsafe, it's just there's so many ppl out there that can't be bothered to pay attention to what they give to their child, so much so that the drug companies have to do it for them.

I agree

melissaanne
10-12-2007, 08:29 AM
geez, this is insane!!!

Is it just for babies under 2? I looked but didn't really see anything that clarified that.

I think it's crazy that parents wouldn't consult the pharmacist before dosing their child. I have never bought anything for my son without asking the pharm which is better for him and his situation.

I can see it now, we will have to be going to our doctor to get a prescription for cough medicine!

girdy
10-12-2007, 08:45 AM
A few idiots over medicate their kids, and as a result we'll be spending all winter sitting in the emergency waiting room so the nurse can give our kid childrens tylenol.

The_Dave
10-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Those aren't really recalls. I think it's more of a caught ya.

Yes Canada is involved. Even Shoppers Drug Mart is pulling their products.

I watched this on the news last night and they were referred to as RECALLS, due mostly to parents over medicating thier children by not properly reading the labels and also because these medications have no proof of actually helping the child.

The_Dave
10-12-2007, 08:50 AM

Unfortunately you are right, but it can easily happen to anyone, especially if they are using multiple medications. But the other reason is that Doctors feel these medications DO NOT HELP the child anyway, so they have recommended the medications be taken off the market so no more children will be accidentally overdosed by their parents and die. I feel this is a very wise decision. It will probably result in saving dozens of infants lives.

MichelleM
10-12-2007, 09:07 AM
If it is the parents accidentally over medicating (tablespoon instead of a teaspoon) could you not argue that it would be the same for prescription drugs for under 2's???Its not the drug its the parents. I know before I give my son anything I check and recheck to make sure that I am giving him the correct dose.
Also, they are thinking about extending the recall to medication for children under 6, especially antihistamines(not sure of spelling).

mommyd
10-12-2007, 09:32 AM
gosh i hope they don't take all meds off the market for kids under 6. My son is 4. Last night he woke up crying and had a bit of a fever. I couldn't get any medication into him but he finally got back to sleep. This morning he finally got some medication into him and his cough and awful sneezing has subsided considerably.

On another topic.. what is the point to going to preschool? lol my son has gone only a few weeks and this is the second time he's been sick, first time was a week after starting.. and prior to going to school he NEVER got sick. Basicly they get to go play while their immune system learns how to cope with sickness?? haha

If they do anything with these medications i would hope they'd move them behind the counter so that pharmasists can ask a couple questions, answer a couple, and give the parent strict advice (as well as written) on how they should be administering the drug and how often. Also, changing everything over to mls and giving a syringe. Thats what i use for my son. No confusion over tbs and tsps. It even uses mls on the medications.

MichelleM
10-12-2007, 09:55 AM
My parents live in Scotland and all medication for children under 2 is behind the counter, that way you have to speak to the pharmacist to get it and know how to use it properly. I also use the syringe and double check the dose.
I just think that you could argue that if you give the wrong dose of anything whether it be for a baby, child, animal, adult etc...it would be harmful. Not to mention if all baby products are removed you will get people who will try to cut the dose of the 2+ medication so that they can give it to there child. Probably will be the same people who cannot measure.

dittydottie
10-12-2007, 09:58 AM
walmart is refusing to remove any of it.Shoppers is.

heres2u
10-12-2007, 09:58 AM
[If they do anything with these medications i would hope they'd move them behind the counter so that pharmasists can ask a couple questions, answer a couple, and give the parent strict advice (as well as written) on how they should be administering the drug and how often. Also, changing everything over to mls and giving a syringe. Thats what i use for my son. No confusion over tbs and tsps. It even uses mls on the medications.[/QUOTE]

I agree. That would be a great solution for this problem. I couldn't believe it when I found out that there are so many parents administrating the wrong dose of medication to there children. I may not be a doctor but I am a mother and I know that medication does help when my child is sick.

MichelleM
10-12-2007, 10:00 AM
good. I was just saying last night that if I had of known I would have picked some up for the upcoming cold/flu season. I feel completely safe giving these to my children because I know that I follow the measurements and if anything give a little less.

girdy
10-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Chances are the same idiots who are overmedicating their kids with childrens medicines, will just start giving their kids adult medicines instead once the childrens medicines are not available.

magoosmomma
10-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Chances are the same idiots who are overmedicating their kids with childrens medicines, will just start giving their kids adult medicines instead once the childrens medicines are not available.

I was going to say the same thing.. with these medications pulled off the shelves , they will turn to something else.. Right now they can get childrens cough meds and decongestants so they will use that and the risk of children being over medicate could very well rise.

kaj27
10-12-2007, 12:07 PM
I watched this on the news last night and they were referred to as RECALLS, due mostly to parents over medicating thier children by not properly reading the labels and also because these medications have no proof of actually helping the child.

Actually all cold medication has zero proof of being effective. Especially since most of them are starch and sugar.

Personally I don't take over the counter medications like those, For obvious reasons. If I wanted a placebo I'd buy some smarties.

The "caught ya" I was referring to was the fact that someone did some testing and finally found that Child "Cold & Cough" does nothing. So essentially the companies got caught. I agree 100% with parents not reading labels. Much like how no one reads anything. Every watch a automatic door that only opens one way? Most of them say "Do-No-Enter" on the opposing side and people will walk right into them. Goes to show....

mizunderstood
10-12-2007, 12:09 PM
i agree kaj27

JustWatching
10-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Actually all cold medication has zero proof of being effective. Especially since most of them are starch and sugar.

The "caught ya" I was referring to was the fact that someone did some testing and finally found that Child "Cold & Cough" does nothing. So essentially the companies got caught....

Too bad these companies didn't have to reimburse parents who have bought this junk over the past X amount of years....or even make them donate the money they made in total sales off those items to some charity etc...

Also it goes to show some people really have no clue and probably shouldn't have kids....I'm not trying to sound harsh and I know accidents happen....but really if you are overdosing your children because you don't know the difference between teaspoon & tablespoon or can't figure out how to put the proper ml in a dropper....those kids are in serious trouble.

mizunderstood
10-12-2007, 01:04 PM
for sure. I check , double heck and triple check before i give them anything. Also I avoid giving them much because it only stops the symptoms not the cold and they need to build their immune system up.

The_Dave
10-12-2007, 05:05 PM

Personally I don't take over the counter medications like those, For obvious reasons. If I wanted a placebo I'd buy some smarties.

The "caught ya" I was referring to was the fact that someone did some testing and finally found that Child "Cold & Cough" does nothing. So essentially the companies got caught. I agree 100% with parents not reading labels. Much like how no one reads anything. Every watch a automatic door that only opens one way? Most of them say "Do-No-Enter" on the opposing side and people will walk right into them. Goes to show....

I guess it is just like acne medications and beauty products and weight loss products, the list is endless but people still waste their money buying these products.

kaj27
10-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Very true. One is born every minute!

trinity
10-14-2007, 07:01 AM
I too worry about people just replacing them with unregulated doses of adult versions. People with the best of intentions lose perspective when their kid is coughing so hard that it makes them throw up. I guess though as long as there are still remedies out there for pain and fever, parents should just buy a humidifier and lots of popsicles for the sore throat that bad coughing brings.

Mommma
10-14-2007, 01:19 PM
A doctor I work with says if you treat a cold with medication it will last 7 days and if you don't it will last a week. This is kind of a joke of course but is true. I think the only differnce is if you treat it you will perhaps feel the symptoms less harshly and be a bit more comfortable..it will not change the duaration of the cold. They are not recalling infant/children Tylenol ..which is still going to be available to parents. A lot of the problems with the combined formulas is that they also include Tylenol and parents did not realize and were giving both. Tylenol overdose can occur easily due to this and cause irreversible liver damage and depending on the amount, even death. I am in my 40's and as children we did not have these newer combination drugs and survived quite well.I do agree though that some of the formulas should be available behind the counter only available if a parent speaks with the pharmacist...problem is there is also another spouse,grandparent,sitter etc. who may not have the same info and may still overmedicate the child.