PDA

View Full Version : French Immersion parents

sarahnb
10-11-2007, 07:04 PM
the government wants your opinion

http://www.gnb.ca/0000/eng-cu-e.asp

melissaanne
10-12-2007, 10:12 AM
I know with a couple of schools in Sussex, not too sure if it's here yet or not, but they are having kids start in grade one doing half the year in french and half the year in english.

I know a few teachers in those schools and seem to be having a very hard time with it. They are hearing alot of flack from parents who don't know french and are having difficulty helping their kids with homework.

I think it's good in theory, but I know I was a late immersion kid ( started in grade 7 ) and still graduated with the same level french certificate as most of the early immersion kids ( starting in grade 1) While it was a little challenging catching up to their level of french, it wasn't difficult enough for me to quit.

I think late immersion is wonderful b/c it allows children to developp their english skills ( ie- verbs, spelling, reading etc) Their were a few of the early french kids who could barely read english. I feel I developped great english and french lauguage skills being a late student.

It should be the choice of the child. Obviously children learn at different paces and I know my cousin tried the late immersion and couldn't get it. He had to switch back to english and he is doing fine. I don't think children who ( and I say this without prejudice) learn slower than others, should have to be put through french if they don't want to. Give them a little but to go through school and if they are having a hard time with english, chances are they are not going to make it in french.....

JMO!

Juls
10-12-2007, 06:30 PM
The french for half a year and english for the rest is only in grade 5 for now. It is a 'test run'...or so they say. :P

28tay
10-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Early french Immersion is going great for my 7 year old, its realy amazing how they pickup french so fast.

sarahnb
10-12-2007, 07:57 PM
We had to move our son to english as we suspected a learning disability. There is no resource available for french students.

MichelleM
10-12-2007, 09:01 PM
which school does he go to? My daughter is in early immersion at Foresthills and I think they can get extra resources.
I think the early immersion is excellent. She is now in grade 4. They do not take english till grade 3 and she(as well as most others) reads and writes at a higher english level than the english children. Her french is also excellent.My only complaint is that I cannot help her with anything. Even math I must have her translate first.

sarahnb
10-13-2007, 08:39 AM
He was at forest hills as well. We had to fight every sep of the way to get anything for him. He was in the early literacy program but that was all they could offer him. there is no longer a french resource teacher in the district. We were not willing to rely on the teachers for the help as last years was part of the problem. his sister is in gr 5 FI and I knew he's never survive the gr 4 class unless the teacher changed.

MichelleM
10-13-2007, 08:50 AM
I have to agree with that. My daughter is in that class and so far I am not impressed by him. They have had 5 pages of math each week, reading and tons of extra homework every night. They have also had a lot of supply teachers. I have heard a lot about him and a lot of people that have had problems with him. Her grade 2 teacher on the other hand was the best.