PDA

View Full Version : anyone else dissappointed with value village lately?

mizunderstood
10-07-2007, 03:40 PM
I used to go in once a week or sometimes more when they first opened but i have been avoiding it lately... I have noticed their prices have gone through the roof lately. I used to be able to buy a pair of overalls for my son for 1.49 now they are 4.99. not impressed... I was in today to look for halloween costumes.. WOW I was disgusted. The exact same costume I wanted to buy my 3 year old son was 25.00 at value village and only 20.00 at walmart and zellers. One I wanted for my daughter was 20 at walmart and 30 at value village! I saw decorations at value village that I have bought for a dollar at the dollarstore. Value village wanted 2.99 for them! I find everything there is pretty over priced lately. Anyone know why? I mean come on the stuff is given to them FREE and they sell it for 5x what its worth!

t_s_cb
10-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Haha.. That's why I haven't been there in months. I've noticed that while ago.. They advertise that they purchase these items now too. And can someone else explain as to why they charge taxes on used goods? I've seen someone go in there see a price on a tag and rip it off to see what they would say after that. And the store clerk would always ask more than what the tag actually said..lol..

mizunderstood
10-07-2007, 04:24 PM
i noticed a while ago their prices going up so I stopped shopping there, i went in to try to find a costume and could not believe the prices.. Man if I wanted to pay that much I would go elsewhere not to a second hand store! lol...

dittydottie
10-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Very pricey indeed. I don't even donate to them anymore because of it.I donate to Salvation Army because at least you know where the money is going and people needing the stuff can actually afford it.I go to Salvation Army store in the mall now. They do not charge you tax and every Wednesday from 3-5(I thinkthat's the time frame) everything is 50%off tag price.

KRS
10-08-2007, 07:25 AM
One word...

Mardens.

melissaanne
10-08-2007, 08:08 AM
Yeah I was in there the other day actually and found it to be CRAZY! I mostly go in for toys and there was a truck with a missing wheel and they wanted $3.99 for the damn thing! Can you imagine!!!!

I've even noticed Frenchy's has gotten a little high too. I wonder if there is a reason for it?

puppyluv
10-08-2007, 02:11 PM
i suppose demand makes the reason. Last year they had a decent wind breaker I wanted..till I looked at the tag..$19.00 (yes nineteen) Needless to say, I did not buy it! If I am going to pay more, I will buy new!

Misty589
10-08-2007, 09:25 PM
yeah i went in there looking for men's dress shirts and they were all 7.99, I went next door to bargain shop and bought some new ones for less than that price !

JulieHebert
10-09-2007, 08:43 AM
I was at MArdens over the weekend and they didn't have much either and the prices were kinda high for what they were.Now saying that there was some stuff that was crazy cheap so i guess you need to wait till the expensive stuff goes on sale. LOL

Mandi
10-11-2007, 08:05 AM
I am kind of surprised to read this. I hadn't been there in so long, and went with my daddy. We were at Zellers, and I literally found one attractive pair of little girl size 4 jeans, for $30. I bought them, and a few shirts, and it came to $90. We went to Value Villiage and got 3 pairs pants, a cute little skirt, and tons of shirts and sweaters for my daughter for $44

raveneffect
10-13-2007, 02:10 PM
I suppose it has gotten quite expensive there over the last few years. I used to go more than once a week. 75% of my wardrobe is from there and thats where I get most of my work clothes cause there is no sense ruining a new shirt and pants at work where there is labor involved. It's just another rant for another day. Either you like it or you don't, plain and simple.