PDA

View Full Version : Are We Throwing Cents away?

hornet
10-04-2007, 03:19 PM
It Makes Cents to Throw Pennies away? Or It Doesnt Make Cents to throw Pennies away? What do you think?

hornet
10-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Personally I Think That If We Throw Pennies Away It would Be More Like Throw Nickels Away. But I guess it cost too much to make them so their thinking of getting rid of the pennies or fading them out.

mizunderstood
10-04-2007, 04:46 PM
I love pennies. That is how I tought my older son to count and the value of money. He used to just throw them away until we sat down and counted them and rolled them. He could not believe how much money he had is just pennies... now he keeps everyone that he gets. As far as the gov't getting rid of pennies that will never happen because nothing ever adds up to a perfectly even number when you buy it.

The_Dave
10-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Money is money, I save my pennies.

ANDREWD
10-04-2007, 06:24 PM
I love pennies. That is how I tought my older son to count and the value of money. He used to just throw them away until we sat down and counted them and rolled them. He could not believe how much money he had is just pennies... now he keeps everyone that he gets. As far as the gov't getting rid of pennies that will never happen because nothing ever adds up to a perfectly even number when you buy it.

actually, the government is thinking about getting rid of the pennies. all of the prices would be changed so everything rounds to a multiple of 5, i saw it on the news about a month ago.

JustWatching
10-04-2007, 07:11 PM
And....the gov't would make A LOT of money...if they rounded things up by a couple of cents....it would be millions of dollars earned...you can be sure the gov't won't be losing money on this...

KRS
10-05-2007, 07:45 AM
Money is money, respect the dollar.

Respect the penny.

lizard_lover
10-05-2007, 11:12 AM
I do...my boyfriend thinks it is funny how it is not worth peoples time to pick up pennies and or nickels and dimes on the ground...yeah sure 10cents wont get you much...but if you get a jar....and I hope they don't take them away and make everything round to the multiple of 5...somehow I do not see anything rounding down...it would all be up...but that is my opinion. I guess the government is so needy for money these days!

FutureChief88
10-05-2007, 11:16 AM
No it will go just like everyone learned in grade 2..

If the price is 10.00, 10.01, 10.02.. It will round down to $10.00
If the price is 10.03, 10.04, 10.05.. It will round Up to $10.05

I dont believe they should get rid of them either.. I like change.. LOL

orange
10-05-2007, 11:30 AM
I'm not sure why people bring the government into this :p

The government is not going to make any more money from something like this. But the problem I see is that businesses will round-up as much as possible (more than they round down... by manipulating prices), so they will make some extra money that way (the gov might make a *tiny* bit due to the businesses taking more, but 14% of 2cents isn't much even with a ton of transactions).

The reason the goverment would consider it is because I think a penny coin costs more to make than its actual value...

But I personally don't think we should do away with the penny either, due to the rounding-up tendency

hornet
10-06-2007, 05:39 PM
I Heard that Austrailia already has no penny. since the 1980 and they never went back. but i dont know why they wouldnt just stop making the pennies for a while im sure theres anought pennies out there.

nasoj007
10-06-2007, 06:59 PM
This is an interesting site that may answer some of your questions.

http://www.whyfor.com/nocents/nocents.htm#Q2

Check out the 'Some Questions about this Penny Banning Thing (FAQ)' about halfway down the page.

Freudian
10-28-2007, 12:36 PM
I save all my change of 25c or lower. Every 6months or so I roll them up and have a few hundred dollars. It's a nice mid-year bonus.

I just rolled 10$ in pennies last week. That's 10$ that I wouldn't have noticed over a couple months but all at once, it's a purple bill :)

Andrew

trinity
10-28-2007, 01:54 PM
I personally hate pennies, I have them everywhere, they're in dishes all over the place, busting open the zipper of my change purse, falling on my floor, and I do try to spend them by giving exact change but they multiply like dust bunnies. Then you have to spend money to buy rollers, the bank can charge a fee to cash them in etc. And the same as in dining out, my time costs money- if I make $9.60/hr at my job, I am making 16 cents a minute, and it takes me 2 minutes to roll 50 cents worth of pennies, it has "cost" me 32 cents worth of time to roll them. If it costs more than a penny to produce a penny, that is stupid. We as taxpayers are paying for that.