PDA

View Full Version : Our Fantastic Brain

Lady_Athena
10-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Did you know that your brain only commits to memory things that it considers needed for survival? If you are very stressed out you can study like a nut for a test and still not do well, it happens. I am a very forgetful person so I find this fact fascinating.

What about our fight or flight reflex? We needed it when we were being chased by Saber tooth tigers and lions. It's that surge of adrenaline, hyper sensitivity to your surroundings. As we evolved of course we no longer needed such a strong response because our daily stressers no longer involve kill or be killed.

Some people's brains are still thinking in warrior mode though and that is usually how people develop panic and anxiety disorders. You're brain may be reacting the same way to a simple problem as your ancestors would be reacting to being chased by that lion.

So what is your most fascinating fact about the human brain? I am not a medical expert lol so I am not looking for scientific conclusions or anything. But our brains are pretty incredible so has anyone else read or heard something cool they would like to share?

Oolong
10-03-2007, 02:59 PM
I think the human brain is the most fascinating thing in the universe. But then I think 'well, look what's telling me that!'

- Emo Phillips

Lady_Athena
10-03-2007, 08:31 PM
I think the human brain is the most fascinating thing in the universe. But then I think 'well, look what's telling me that!'

- Emo Phillips LOL! That is great, I got a kick out that.