PDA

View Full Version : Fathers support group

wookiee
10-02-2007, 01:22 PM
I have been considering starting up a support group for fathers that are currently involved and/or were involved in a custdy battle.
I find there is nothing in this city for parents...except things that cost alot of dollars.
I am hoping to do this so we can share stories, assit other fathers in what they need to do, provide information..basicallt to be there for each other and do whats best for our children.
So feel free to post a reply in what you think or suggestions. I want to see what the intrest level would be 1st.

Thanks!

Peace be upon you all.

leeleemom
10-02-2007, 02:21 PM
I am not a father. I am a mother but I just wanted to say that I think you have a great idea. I hope you get a lot of responses......some men would be hesitant just because of sharing feelings and all. But you have the right way of thinking!! Good Luck to you!

Cartersmom
10-02-2007, 02:34 PM
You might also be able to find support and suggestions on online message boards. I know they are a great resource for me in different areas and great for those who don't feel comfortbake meeting in person or who don't have a flexible schedule.

Cartersmom
10-02-2007, 02:37 PM
here's a couple I found right away..http://www.google.com/Top/Society/People/Men/Issues/Fathers%27_Rights/Divorce_and_Custody/

Don't think they all have forums though.
Good luck, I'm sure you can start a support group for dads going through this.

dan j
10-02-2007, 03:08 PM
As far as I know there is a group of men in Saint John already doing this. I heard something about a few of them marching around King Sq in nothing but sandwich boards, or something.

mizunderstood
10-02-2007, 05:28 PM
call family plus 506-634-8295
http://www.familyplus.ca/
they have programs for dads, though nothing scheduled yet theere has not been interest enough to keep it running, but I think it might have to do with lack of knowledge...
Try calling them and see if you could get programs off the ground and running.
And Also wanted to say KOODOOS to you for wanting to be an active and involved father...

wookiee
10-03-2007, 01:52 PM
[quote=dan j;162153]As far as I know there is a group of men in Saint John already doing this.

Well not really...Family plus is the major group for parents in general. I spoke with them in the summer and alot of there programs have stopped and no new ones in progress. There's for the sake of the children....but thats not a support group. its a 2 day program,
Besides, even if there is one, doesn't mean you can't have another. Some support groups stink and do not really help. So I am trying to come up with something. Not just some fathers sitting around and sharing stories, etc, but also for guidance during the battle. Like myself, I had no guidance and its lonley that way. So if I can help out others get going then thats great. More needs to be done.
You'll here about next year and will be a great support group for fathers. Just takes some time. :D

Triple J
10-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Actually, there is a program: Dads make a Difference. The point of this program is to be very involved in your childs life. Some dad have custody some don"t. It is not based around "battling for custody" however. it is more centered around the childrens needs.

Lady_Athena
10-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Actually, there is a program: Dads make a Difference. The point of this program is to be very involved in your childs life. Some dad have custody some don"t. It is not based around "battling for custody" however. it is more centered around the childrens needs.
Well all the more reason for wookie to start a group that will support fathers who are in a custody battle. I know someone who may be interested, but he is such a private person. Maybe keep me posted on your progress. I know my father could have used something like this, he gave up in the middle of a court battle. Yes I think I would have kind of been better off with him or at least joint custody. This was oh 10-11 years ago, I bet they were even harder on fathers then.

A Father daughter relationship is so important because it often will dictate how she lets men treat her in the future. Maybe that is psychobabble hooey, but I think there is something to it.

FutureChief88
10-04-2007, 08:08 AM
Wookie.. I think what you are doing its a GREAT idea.. ! There is soooo much support around for women.. With children.. as well as hestia house.. and whatnot.. I mean there are SOOO many men out there that need support.. and there is virtually nothing. there may be a few places.. but what can it hurt to have one more.

heres2u
10-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Wow. That is a great idea. I hope it all works out for you. I know plenty of fathers that could use support. The mothers always want the money for the child which these fathers pay often even without a court document but when it comes to spending time with their child they are told the child is busy or whatever so the relationship with the child and father suffers. It's really sad. I know fathers who have tried looking for info online but it's always for mothers on how to collect support but there is no info or not much on men who pay support and want to be involved physically as well that doesn't cost more money and stress. It would be great if you get alot of men involved and I know some that I'll let know about it. I know that there are also women who get along for their child and do everything to make sure each other is happy and most importantly the child but unfortunately their are more instances than enough where that isn't the case and those men need support from other fathers going through the same thing. I'm not talking about men who refuse to pay for their child and don't want a relationship either. They need something but it's not support! Good luck!

The_Dave
10-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Well all the more reason for wookie to start a group that will support fathers who are in a custody battle. I know someone who may be interested, but he is such a private person. Maybe keep me posted on your progress. I know my father could have used something like this, he gave up in the middle of a court battle. Yes I think I would have kind of been better off with him or at least joint custody. This was oh 10-11 years ago, I bet they were even harder on fathers then.

A Father daughter relationship is so important because it often will dictate how she lets men treat her in the future. Maybe that is psychobabble hooey, but I think there is something to it.

I think you are right, all too many girls get into relationships looking for the Dad they never had in their partner.