PDA

View Full Version : Agoraphobia

Lady_Athena
09-30-2007, 04:26 PM
I have been mulling over posting this for a while, but usually everyone here is very outspoken and helpful so I'll give it a shot. ;)

A family member named Diana has been suffering from agoraphobia for over a year. She seeks out treatment via her doctor and then is directed to The Mental Health Center. The doctor says he can not refer a patient to an outside source for therapy and treatment unless the patient was so unwell they needed to be hospitalized.

Alrighty so at The Mental Health Center Diana goes through the screening process and is given a counselor (not a psychiatric doctor) and that counselor is set to go on vacation for one month. The plan of action this counselor gives Diana is to go to GROUP sessions until he gets back.

Now to me this whole situation is infuriating. How can a woman who is probably suffering at the peak of manifested agoraphobia go to group therapy with a bunch of strangers? The mere thought of it sends her into a panic attack that prevents her from leaving her home in the first place! Wouldn't group therapy be something that should be worked towards and not the first step???

I also know another woman through my detective work who saw this man when she suffering from anorexia. On the first visit he told her "She just had to start eating". Ummm, well yeah, but....

Has anyone overcome this problem? Or had the similar type of run around when trying to get effective treatment? Is group therapy really usual first step in treating this??? Keep in mind that even the idea of going to the doctor's office practically makes her black out in panic!

Looking for rants, information, and opinions. :)

Oh and if you do not know what it is, this is from my trusted sidekick Mr Wikipedia :

Agoraphobia is an anxiety disorder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anxiety_disorder) which primarily consists of the fear of certain settings that may present unexpected challenges or demands. These could include parking lots, shoppings malls or restaurants. The social consequences of having a panic attack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_attack) or losing control in public often becomes an additional source of fear in its own right. As a result, severe sufferers of agoraphobia may become confined to their homes, experiencing difficulty traveling from this "safe place."

Agoraphobia describes a condition where the sufferer becomes uneasy is environments that are unfamiliar or where he/she perceives that he has little control. Triggers may include crowds, wide open spaces or traveling alone even for short distances. The anxiety is often compounded by a fear of social embarrassment in case of panic attacks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_attacks) or appearing distraught in public.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agoraphobia#_note-0)
People with agoraphobia may experience panic attacks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_attack) in situations where they feel trapped, insecure, out of control, or too far from their personal comfort zone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfort_zone). In severe cases, an agoraphobic may be confined to their home. [2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agoraphobia#_note-NIH91) Some people with agoraphobia are comfortable seeing visitors, but only in a defined space they feel in control of. Such people may live for years without leaving their homes, while happily seeing visitors and working, as long as they can stay within their safety zones. The safety zones can vary, from not being able to leave home, or not being able to make eye contact. If the person leaves their 'safety zone' they can have an anxiety attack.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agoraphobia

JustWatching
09-30-2007, 05:22 PM
I don't know a lot about this disorder...however I did have a friend (actually two) that suffered really bad panic attacks....her doctor prescribed her "Ativan". She says it has helped her A LOT (the other also stated the same thing - relaxed her quite a bit)....perhaps she could discuss this with her GP

Lady_Athena
09-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Hello there,
thank you very much for your reply I sincerely appreciate your time in reading my post and offering your suggestion. Ativan is very effect for treating panic attacks, but the down side is that it is addictive. Diana is still quite young so if the doctor will not give her much. The most I know he allowed was 13 for a 4 month period and that was 1mg sub lingual. The doctor is not a fan of quick fix methods, I know this as he is my doctor as well.

sanstu
09-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Your friend needs a tight support system, family, friends, anyone that can assist her. She also should again seek medical intervention through her family Doctor. Sometimes when one is suffering with an illness they tend to down play the severity when speaking with their Dr.. Perhaps a family member could go to a Dr's appointment with her. Also there are other meds. that she could have prescribed that are not habit forming, although Ativin works well for the short term. I don't agree that Group counciling is an option for your friend at this point, perhaps she could see someone else at mental health. Good luck to your friend, she'll be in my thoughts, and to you, what a great friend you are!

trinity
10-01-2007, 04:59 AM
They are USELESS. About 15 years ago I called them for a stress related personal issue and they asked me "if I had friends, was I getting out of the house..." when I answered that I had a few friends and did occasionally go out to the mall or movies, they essentially said "Thanks for calling" and hung up. Never mind that the things I was feeling the urge to say or do were wildly inappropriate in my employment setting and would have resulted in being fired and failing a course. Um, how is being able to go to McD's with a friend related to wanting to verbally abuse young people or customers at work with nasty foul language? The issue eventually did pass after I was no longer in school AND working two jobs, but at the time it had the potential to damage my career and GPA. At no point did they even so much as offer stress management counselling, basically I was not sufficiently screwed up for them to even bother seeing or continuing to talk to! They might have seen me quicker if I called a student an f---ing b.... or c..., maybe, or thrown room keys at guests or told a professor what to do with their text book? Maybe your friend should act even more dysfunctional, I recommend a hostage situation, public nudity, or needing to be talked off a rooftop? Might work.

angelaa
10-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Wow, sounds like someone has anger issues. Anyways, I know exactly what your friend is going through. When I was in grade 12, I started having anxiety attacks, they were so bad that there was times I couldn't even sit in the class room, even during my graduation it was all I could do not to run out the door, thankfully I got through it. by the time I turned 22 they got so bad that I couldnt even stand in a grocery lineup, I would leave the cart sitting there and run out the door. I went to a physiciatrist and he explained about anxiety attacks, and gave me a pamplet on breathing exercises and ways to reduce stress, and valium. That turned into a 24 year habit. When my family doctor retired, I couldnt get my valium any more, so I drank alot of alcohol, that didn't help either. I still had alot of anxiety attacks. So a Doctor gave me a prescription for paxil. I called it a happy happy joy joy pill, thinking how is this going to help me with anxiety and depression, well surprise, surprise, Two years later my anxiety attacks are nil, and I haven't had a drink since. Thanks to paxil and AA, maybe your friend should give it a try, its not a narcotic and your friend can get it from her family doctor or outpatients, it maynot be for everybody but it worked for me. Good luck and tell your friend I'll even take her to the doctor where as I know exactly what shes going through, maybe she won't feel so uncomfortable, Hopefully she will get the help she needs.

lizard_lover
10-01-2007, 01:00 PM
same thing...used to have anxiety attacks...and some other issues and when I went to the mental health center...i got asked the same "do you have friends? do your friends like you?" and I would get asked that 6-7 times in an hour...and I found them no help...Just keep with your friend...keep up the support...if you cannot find anything something will eventually come to you...

Lady_Athena
10-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Thank you everyone for your reply, I appreciate you all taking the time to share you stories.

Sanstu- I agree, she has been on Effexor for almost 6 months, no change. The doctor has been slowly increasing the dosage as a high dose of this type of drug is supposed to be quite effective[for treating anxiety]. It has a lot of weird side effects and that is why he is increasing the amount slowly. I do not think he is aware of the severity of the issue. I will make sure she is not alone next time she visits him. Even the ativan does not really work. I took her to get groceries this morning and she took an ativan it was still a terrifying ordeal for her to run a couple errands. She can still force herself outside when she is with a really close friends who she knows she is safe with. I worry the longer she is untreated she won't even be able to do that anymore. The doctor said he can only increase it [effexor] once more and then a psychiatrist would have consult with him.

Trinity- I am so sorry that you did not get help when you needed it. I have never heard such a ridiculous question asked to test someone's mental health. The doctor had informed us sometimes it takes a few people before you find the right one. And that you may have to be pushy sometimes. I would have snapped right then and there and told the mental health employee where she could shove her malarky.

She has other mental health issues such as depression and OCD. She told me she thinks about suicide as well. She can not work outside of the home and does not even socialize with friends anymore. The only friends she still see are the ones that keep beating the door down to get to her so to speak. There is a mutual friend's house she is somewhat comfortable at for short periods of time, but he has to practically beg her to come visit and promise to walk her there and home...even in daylight.

The mother and father well they do not really "believe" in mental illness. They think she can fix it herself if she would "fight it a little" (their exact words). Her father is starting to understand, but pressures her that if she started weight lifting again her anxiety would go away. Sometimes I want to call him Tom Cruise. :p

Angelaa thank you so much for your story it came right from your heart. I am sorry to hear you had to go through such a tough time when all you wanted was help. You sound very kind and I am so happy to hear you are doing well.

There are now a lot of different types of anti-depressants/anti-anxiety medications that are non-habit forming and actually work to start up the chemicals that are not quite working their mojo. I am pretty scientific, aren't I? lol jk I think the popular ones have been Paxil, Celexa, and Effexor, but they carry other names as well

By the way She also would be interested in knowing the side effects other people experience who are on at least a 300mg or higher dose of these medications, if anyone wouldn't mind sharing. It's not easy to talk about, so I realize most may not feel comfortable sharing.

I am very sorry if a lot of this post is rambling, this is emotional for me and I am having a hard time putting my thoughts into words.

Thanks again so much it means A LOT!

mommyd
10-01-2007, 03:19 PM
i find it funny this topic is here today because i just went to my dr this morning for anxiety etc, and apparently i also have agoraphobia. I did not know this.. because the only experience i have with it is when i've seen it portrayed on tv , and then they are always portrayed as not able to leave their home and to the effect that your friend is suffering (in which i am sorry to hear about :( I don't have it that bad, because like i said, i didn't even realise i had it at all.. but upon reading the actual definitions and explanations i found online it actually fits me to a tee. I have been perscribed paxil just today, haven't gotten it yet.
Are you saying that the mental health center is saying they can't refer her to an outside source? If so, maybe she could get her dr to refer her somewhere else, because that is just pahetic how they are treating her. Mental illness is real, especially to the ppl dealing with it. And i believe that when you are having a really hard time with it, professionals should be understanding and caring and gentle .. i honestly can't believe your friend is being told to do group therapy. Heck even i would never do that.. it's what i am afraid of.. being pushed into it headfirst isn't going to help.
I'm sorry, this post isn't of any help to you, just wanted to share that i hope your friend gets the help she needs and soon. No one deserves to feel that way :(

Lady_Athena
10-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Mommyd- Your post was very helpful. I am looking for experiences, opinions, rants, I just want to try and understand it better and also learn about how other people are having it treated or coping with it. I think that it is going to take some firm talking to the right people to get her where she needs to be which is probably with a psychiatrist.

The doctor is the one who said he can not refer her to an outside source and that her best bet would be to go through the process at mental health. He had told us it would be just that...a process and that often if the case is too much for a counselor to handle they will bring in a psychiatrist or a therapist (or maybe a few of each all piled in a little eco friendly clown car)....At least that's what he said. I have no idea if that is the actual way it works, but this was the medical advice we were given.

She's young and soft spoken and the doctors do push her around. That is why it has gone untreated or misdiagnosed for so long. The worst thing she ever did was go to this Prenatal Clinic at a certain hospital. There are a few doctors there who I think must be about 20 years behind the times when it comes to mental health. I'd love to name them because their lack of bed side manner and compassion has seriously hurt my friend. I won't because it would be considered liable and I do not want to get myself or isaintjohn in any trouble. She went to on of these doctors and told them everything and the doctor did not say one word. She asked if she would like medication and if so what kind. This doctor actually said Diana would have to tell her what she wanted to be on....and she was pregnant too. She tried telling a few other doctors and was treated basically like she was 2 inches tall. I know that that clinic is a lot of the reason she feels like she can never get better...she feels like the doctors do not care at this point!

Oh and a note to you if Paxil does not work do not give up hope as there are other similar, yet different drugs that work towards the same chemical stability. Like Paxil did nothing for Diana, but Effexor did take away most of the depression, just not the anxiety (yet, perhaps if it is increased again). Everyone is different though so I am not saying it won't work. I hope it works great and you are able to enjoy life with all of the vigor, freedom, and happiness and a woman should.

I wish you all the best in you recovery process. Please contact me anytime via PM if you have any questions or suggestions.

Everyone who replies is helping because it is showing Diana that she is not the only one and maybe some of the shame surrounding it will subside a little at least.:)

I think I covered it all...lol Long winded today aren't I!?

je12122
10-02-2007, 06:56 PM
A few years ago I suffered from this and thank god for MindCare NB. I was at the point where I had to drop out of university and was afraid to leave my house. I would only leave it to go to the Emergency room as I thought there was something seriously wrong with me and that I was dying. I was afraid of everything. I went to a support Group for this through Mindcare and it has changed my life completely. I was nervous at first going but sooo relieved when I met people my age that were going through the same thing. I really thought at one point I was losing my mind and going nuts. This group taught us how to deal with an extreme panic attack how to control it etc. and I have been a changed person ever since. Unless you have ever experienced this disorder you can't fully understand what you go through, and this really opens it up for people. I had my mother come with me and she felt sooo bad cause she said she really didn't understand it til she heard me and others talk. She said she always thought it was me being a hypocondriact...(don't know how to spell that). Trust me this was the best thing that ever happened to me. I am now able to enjoy life and not worry so much, occassionally i do still have a panic attack, but never as bad as before and because of this group I am able to talk myself out of it and it's gone within a few minutes. I wish your friend all the best but I do highly recommend her going to the group through MindCare. good luck!

angelaa
10-02-2007, 08:35 PM
I don't know how many or how severe her OCD is, I do know how bad my case is, I really thought I was going crazy but I understand it all now. Maybe the reason she doesn't like to leave the house is because she has so many rituals that she has to go through first, some examples are checking to see if everything is off, unplugged, touching certain objects such as light switches and door knobs, and the counting in your head, thats enough to drive anybody nuts. It was all to much to do before leaving the house, so it was less stressful to stay home. Let her know that I do understand, and that she is not alone. I deal with this disorder myself. It started when I was about 8, I never told anybody, then oneday I was watching Oprah and Billy Bob Thornton (an actor) was on talking about his OCD. Finally somebody else was experiencing the same thoughts as I was and I could finally put a name to it. I then went to my Family Doctor and she said that thousands and thousands of people suffer from this disorder. She told me to go out and rent the movie As Good As It Gets, So I did and it helps you understand it better if your not experiencing these thoughts yourself. Most importantly, assure her that she is not alone. And remember if she needs a new friend to talk to. I am here. Sincerely, Angelaa

Lady_Athena
10-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks again so much for your replies. It may sound silly, that I keep you thank you guys but it is sincere. so far the posters here have given better advice, shown more compassion, and even more worry than the medical professionals she/we have been dealing with.

She has had OCD for long time and right now she does do not any of the routines. The only thing she still does is checking to make sure things are locked and having to sometimes touch the locked door handle or open and relock the door. The OCD seems to only show it's head in little ways now. Maybe because she let go out those routines her mind is swarming with chaos??

I am getting ready to write a very long letter to the paper about how the system has been failing my mentally ill friend. I will also rant and rave about this particular prenatal clinic, who's doctors should either be forced to brush up on their mental health knowledge or retire. Mental illness is just as serious as a physical illness when it is not treated. The doctors at this clinic may have not "oh well her mental health has nothing to do with a healthy baby" How many people can tell me what is wrong with that way of thinking?? If a patient does not have mental health they can not live a normal life!!! They can not take care of their physical health! I am sorry I am ranting about this right now, but after a very bad evening with Diana we have called both the mental health afterhours and mobile crisis unit. What we could have done was gone to the emerceny room and wait to be admitted. That is wasting emergency room time. No wonder our health care system is costing so much. The left hand does not seem to know what the right hand is doing.

FutureChief88
10-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Ativan is awful.. It helps.. for the time being but like you say very addictive.. and it is NOT meant for long time usage. Also Effexor.. Has anyone read up on this. This stuff is AWFUL. A friend of mine is on it and once the meds stop doing what they are "supposed" to do he just ups her dose.. Now she is up to like 30 something MG.. stared at 7.5.. overr 1 year! i mean.. what he is just going to keep upping them until they stop?
I was on celexa.. AWESOME! works for everything depression, anxiety,, everything. You could also try that.

Lady_Athena
10-03-2007, 01:38 PM
I find that very interesting about the Effexor. I am not saying you are wrong, but was it Effexor or Effexor XR? XR is supposed to have improved the delivery methods of the medication thus increasing long term effectiveness.

I have taken Celexa when I was a teen and it was great! It really worked. But when I felt better I stopped taking it because I was uneducated about the medication :( It is also the number one antidepressant I would recommend for anorexia. I mean recommend for you to ask your doctor about. It has helped a few girls I know!;)

The doctor said that Effexor XR will only be effective (and highly effective he said) for her at a high dose. The dose is currently 150mg, but will be moving up to 200mg in a few months. This is because of the depression, anxiety, and the fact that it has gone untreated for years and years. At least that is what we are hearing from the doctor. He is one of the few I have encountered who does study up on new medications and he really takes the time to listen, but at the same time I am not sure he is taking this as seriously as a physical illness. Which is silly. Like I said if you do not have mental health your physical health will fail next. Who can take care of themselves properly when they generally are disgusted with themselves and the way their mind seems to "betraying" them. I want to go left, but the brain wants to go right sort of thing.

FutureChief88
10-03-2007, 02:47 PM
She is on Effexor XR.. I have read a few things on it.. It is awful stuff. Also know someone else who was on it and suffered extreme withdrawal when having to switch to a different medication. They couldnt get him off of it. It was a sin actually. Just do some searches on it.. Its scary stuff.. But like they say believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.