PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe it!!!

dittydottie
09-26-2007, 09:52 PM
My husband was taking a business trip to U.S.,so I went along for the trip. Of course I decided to do abit of shopping.Man I was totally in shock with Bangor! First the prices right now on some stuff is even higher than what it is here,second I went to a dollar store(Called Dollar tree) and when we wnet to pay for our purchase we were told they do not take Canadian money.They wanted all American cash(even coin) or use your debit card.
Walmart in Bangor was rather pricey too.We stopped in Calais on the way home and the difference was unbelievable.The walmart in Calais was so much better when it came to prices.The exchange was even different.
So people don't bother going to Bangor to do your shopping but just go to Calais.

jamez
09-26-2007, 10:11 PM
as far as i can remember it's always been like that. been a couple of years since i've been there. and they've never like our money.

matthew_scott
09-27-2007, 07:11 AM
I was just in New Hampshire and did some shopping this weekend/early this week, and I did notice the same thing. Their prices were no better then ours, with the exception of a couple of smaller stores. A friend of mine told me that it was on the news, that because of the dollar value now, the USA was going to be raising their prices.

MichelleM
09-27-2007, 07:20 AM
I went to Bangor on the weekend and noticed the total opposite. The childrens place clothes were soooooo cheap. The same vest that I paid $26.50 plus tax here was $19.99 there and was on sale for $16.99 and then an additional 30% off. here it is regular price. I found that as long as you had US money on hand you couldn't beat the prices.

The_Dave
09-27-2007, 07:46 AM
I have never been a fan of shopping in the US. First you are NOT supporting Canadians by taking your business to the US. Second, I find you MIGHT save a couple of dollars after you figure in all the OTHER costs like gas, duty, taxes, accommodations ( if you stay the night ), food, overspending because you think you are getting a good deal, buying products you will more than likely not use often because you think you got a great price. Also, what about warranties and returns? Do you make a special trip back to have something replaced, exchanged or your money back if it is not to your satisfaction or broke or missing parts?? What about the cost of THIS trip? All in all, I feel cross border shopping is not worth it. If you are an experienced shopper than you know that the stores in the US raise their prices to specifically maximize profits from Canadians. I recommend that you shop and travel in Canada. Support your country and best of all, your local economy.

amothersworkisneverdone
09-27-2007, 07:49 AM
well said Dave:)

MichelleM
09-27-2007, 07:53 AM
actaully the trip wasn't that expensive. The price of gas in calais was 80cents and Bangor it was 70cents. not to metion when we came back across the border we told them we had $400 worth of stuff and he told us to go ahead.

The_Dave
09-27-2007, 07:59 AM
actaully the trip wasn't that expensive. The price of gas in calais was 80cents and Bangor it was 70cents. not to metion when we came back across the border we told them we had $400 worth of stuff and he told us to go ahead.

Ok, after taking into account all of your expenses, have you sat down and added up dollar for dollar as to what you actually saved?

MichelleM
09-27-2007, 08:11 AM
We didn't stay. we drove down and back.so gas and food(which we would have ate here anyways). With the savings on the kids clothes alone we saved hundreds.

Chinna Dah
09-27-2007, 08:20 AM
we shop cross border all the time. Yesterday we went to calais, just for the day, to shop. we hit Mardens, Walmart, the Family Dollar store and Shop and Save. I spent about 40 bucks. I paid 4 dollars at the border and I fill my tank for 22 bucks (79 cents a liter) and that will last me about 2 weeks.

Friends of mine went to Bangor a few weeks ago and got a 52 inch plazma TV ( the sole purpose of the trip ). They did not stay the night, they calculated what they spent for gas, and food,and taxes at the border and they still saved over 1000.00.

I love shopping over there and I will continue to do so.

The_Dave
09-27-2007, 08:28 AM
We didn't stay. we drove down and back.so gas and food(which we would have ate here anyways). With the savings on the kids clothes alone we saved hundreds.

If that is the case, then you may have gotten a good deal. I personally don't think it would be in the hundreds, but if so, good for you.

I believe in supporting Canadian.

The_Dave
09-27-2007, 08:36 AM
we shop cross border all the time. Yesterday we went to calais, just for the day, to shop. we hit Mardens, Walmart, the Family Dollar store and Shop and Save. I spent about 40 bucks. I paid 4 dollars at the border and I fill my tank for 22 bucks (79 cents a liter) and that will last me about 2 weeks.

Friends of mine went to Bangor a few weeks ago and got a 52 inch plazma TV ( the sole purpose of the trip ). They did not stay the night, they calculated what they spent for gas, and food,and taxes at the border and they still saved over 1000.00.

I love shopping over there and I will continue to do so.

Even if you saved $20, it still cost you about $10 to $15 to get there. Plus your time.

So when the Plasma has a problem, what do they do? Pack it up and drive it back and wait for the store where they bought it to ship it out and have it fixed? This could take weeks. In the meantime, no plasma, they have to drive down and back again to pick it up. There really is no savings.

I believe in supporting Canadian.

MichelleM
09-27-2007, 08:38 AM
supporting Canadian????half the stores here are US not to mention obviously we are getting ripped off if I can go down there and buy the same stuff so much cheaper.

matthew_scott
09-27-2007, 08:40 AM
I've shopped in the U.S.A for the last 3 years and even after coming back with near $800 this week, I still didn't have to pay duty. I love shopping there, and I will also continue to do so. (A lot of companies here, have American owners...) (By the way, good chance that plasma has to be warrantied by the company that manufactured it rather then the store that sold it. For that type of savings, I would have bought one there too)

matthew_scott
09-27-2007, 08:48 AM
I went to Bangor on the weekend and noticed the total opposite. The childrens place clothes were soooooo cheap. The same vest that I paid $26.50 plus tax here was $19.99 there and was on sale for $16.99 and then an additional 30% off. here it is regular price. I found that as long as you had US money on hand you couldn't beat the prices.

I went there, as well as Old Navy. They had everything in store %75 off. On 2 pairs of jeans alone, I saved $30 ($5 a pair rather then the regular $20) and Children's Place, a lot of stuff was %50 off.

Walmart though, their prices were the same as ours. I found the grocery stores to be pricey too. But I did get a new jacket for $177 (No tax in New Hampshire) that regularly sells here for around $350 plus tax.

I didn't buy anything I won't be using. I also saved hundreds down there. I did get some stuff too that I couldn't get here (Like the CozyUp car seat cover I was trying to find here for months, $13 down there)

Again though, Walmart, grocery stores... not that good. I didn't get a chance to go to Mardens.

girdy
09-27-2007, 09:08 AM
supporting Canadian????half the stores here are US not to mention obviously we are getting ripped off if I can go down there and buy the same stuff so much cheaper.

Folks, if you buy a widget at the Walmart in Saint John, the clerk who checked you out lives here, and isn't drawing unemployment or welfare because he or she has a job. Same deal with the people stocking the shelves, cleaning the floors, and everything else that goes along with it. The store pays property tax to the City. The Canadian Division of Walmart pays business tax on the profit to the NB and Canada governments. Yes the company is U.S., but supporting Canadian is more than who the after tax profits go to.

lizard_lover
09-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Exactly...I have never gone shopping in the U.S....heck I have never even crossed the border. Since our dollar has been so close (nd I work at a call center taking mostly american calls) I have had multiple Americans yell at me and how our country is ruining the reputation of theirs, etc...I feel just appaled! Why would I ever want to go there, even to save a couple of bucks?

The_Dave
09-27-2007, 09:38 AM

Supporting the Canadian economy and jobs, sheeesh, didn't think I would have to spell out the obvious.

The_Dave
09-27-2007, 09:39 AM
I've shopped in the U.S.A for the last 3 years and even after coming back with near $800 this week, I still didn't have to pay duty. I love shopping there, and I will also continue to do so. (A lot of companies here, have American owners...) (By the way, good chance that plasma has to be warrantied by the company that manufactured it rather then the store that sold it. For that type of savings, I would have bought one there too)

Most products are warrantied by the company that makes them, but you need to take it back to where you bought it and have them ship it to keep within warranty guidelines. So that means another trip to the US.

The_Dave
09-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Folks, if you buy a widget at the Walmart in Saint John, the clerk who checked you out lives here, and isn't drawing unemployment or welfare because he or she has a job. Same deal with the people stocking the shelves, cleaning the floors, and everything else that goes along with it. The store pays property tax to the City. The Canadian Division of Walmart pays business tax on the profit to the NB and Canada governments. Yes the company is U.S., but supporting Canadian is more than who the after tax profits go to.

That is correct, but some people do not care if their local economy survives. In the end, it effects everyone.

melissaanne
09-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Trust me Michelle does support the canadian businesses!!! LOL!! And when she says she saved hundreds, she really did! If the stuff she bought is half price there for most items, and she spent $400....should would have really spent what 700-800 here.... I believe it. I know how she shops !!!! LOL!

While I believe in supporting ourselves they make it hard sometimes when certain products are SO much cheaper there. NTM there are items we can't get here. The bedroom set I want to get for my son is available at walmart in the states, but nothing here. So should I just suck it up and buy sometihng else to support canada or travel a few hours, buy the set, save some money and have a happy child...hmmmmm I'll take that latter thank you.

The_Dave
09-27-2007, 10:11 AM
If that is the bedroom set you just have to have, then by all means, go support the US economy. Myself, I would find something similar to purchase in Canada.

I find it hard to believe that your son actually cares that much about a particular bed set.

As for your friend supporting Canadian business, I find that hard to believe while she shops in the US.

MichelleM
09-27-2007, 10:36 AM
it may not be as noticable on small purchases but take a car for example. You are trying to tell me that if you could save $4000 or $5000 buying it in the US instead of Canada you would. Yeh right.
or your going to shop at a small local store that costs more as opposed to walmart. give me a break.

The_Dave
09-27-2007, 10:53 AM
it may not be as noticable on small purchases but take a car for example. You are trying to tell me that if you could save $4000 or $5000 buying it in the US instead of Canada you would. Yeh right.
or your going to shop at a small local store that costs more as opposed to walmart. give me a break.

You make a very valid point on the car situation, but my point also is what about service, warranties, defects, damage, not being satisfied? etc. etc. What do you do? You have to keep going back to the US to have all of these things taken care of. You may be able to buy a warranty here, but at what cost and coverage? On big ticket items, I would most certainly buy Canadian. It may be different if it was a $2 item at Mardens, but when it comes to large purchases, I wouldn't even chance it.

I would shop at Walmart here to answer your other question. I believe in supporting the Canadian economy and helping my fellow Saint Johners to be able to keep their jobs.

jamez
09-27-2007, 03:57 PM
anybody hear about the lawsuit against the car companies in canada, they've been artifically raising the price of canadian vechicals for years.

The_Dave
09-27-2007, 04:31 PM
anybody hear about the lawsuit against the car companies in canada, they've been artifically raising the price of canadian vechicals for years.

That wouldn't surprise me. If you have any other info, I would be interested, but I suggest starting another thread.