PDA

View Full Version : anothr recall...sooo sad..

mizunderstood
09-22-2007, 08:06 PM
1 million Simplicity cribs recalled after child deaths

Fri, Sep 21, 2007 — Simplicity has announced a recall of about 1 million cribs in cooperation with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). It's the largest recall of full-size cribs in U.S. history.

The side of the crib (http://www.babycenter.com/search/showResultsForContent.htm?queryString=crib+pregnan cy++baby+) that lowers (the "drop-side") can detach from the crib, creating a dangerous gap that can lead to the entrapment and suffocation of young children. At least three babies have died as a result.

A 6-month-old, a 9-month-old, and a 1-year-old died in cribs in which the drop-side was mistakenly installed upside down. This can weaken the hardware and cause the drop-side to detach from the crib. Simplicity cribs with both older and newer styles of hardware have had this problem, but the cribs with older style hardware appear to pose a greater hazard: Two of the deaths, seven entrapments, and 55 incidents have all been associated with those cribs.

CPSC is also aware of two incidents that occurred when the drop-side was correctly installed with older style hardware, though the upside down installation greatly increases the risk of failure.

The agency is warning parents and caregivers to check all Simplicity cribs to make sure the drop-side is installed right side up. To do this, check the rail to see that the slightly rounded side with the decorative groove is facing up and the side with square edges is facing down. Also make sure the drop-side is securely attached to the tracks in all four corners.

The recalled Simplicity crib models include: Aspen 3-in-1, Aspen 4-in-1, Nursery-in-a-Box, Crib (http://www.babycenter.com/search/showResultsForContent.htm?queryString=Crib+pregnan cy++baby+) N Changer Combo, Chelsea, and Pooh 4-in-1. The recall also involves the following Simplicity cribs that used the Graco logo: Aspen 3-in-1, Ultra 3-in-1, Ultra 4-in-1, Ultra 5-in-1, Whitney, and the Trio.

The recalled cribs have one of the following model numbers, which can be found on the envelope attached to the mattress support and on the label attached to the headboard: 4600, 4605, 4705, 5000, 8000, 8324, 8800, 8740, 8910, 8994, 8050, 8750, 8760, and 8996.

The cribs were sold in department stores and children's stores, and by mass merchandisers nationwide from January 1998 through May 2007 for between $100 and $300. They were made in China.

What you can do:

* Stop using the crib immediately and don't let your child sleep in it until you can fix it or determine that it's safe. Make sure the drop-side is installed right side up by checking the rail to see that the slightly rounded side with the decorative groove is facing up and the side with square edges is facing down. Also make sure the drop-side is securely attached to the tracks in all four corners.

* See pictures of a correctly and incorrectly installed drop-side and the older and newer styles of hardware on the CPSC's website (http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07307.html).

* If you have a crib with older style hardware, contact Simplicity for a free repair.

* If you have a crib with newer style hardware, check to see whether the drop-side has been installed upside down or the crib has broken hardware. If so, contact Simplicity for assistance.

* Call Simplicity toll-free at (888) 593-9274 between 8:30 a.m. and 10 p.m. Eastern time Monday through Thursday, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Eastern time Friday, or between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Eastern time Saturday. You can also visit Simplicity's website (http://www.simplicityforchildren.com/ourproducts/notice_dropside/index.htm).

mizunderstood
09-26-2007, 11:47 PM
When will it End???
More children's toys recalled for unsafe lead levels

Last Updated: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 | 4:02 PM ET

CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/credit.html)

More children's toys manufactured in China are being recalled because they contain unsafe levels of lead, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announced Wednesday.
The recall of toys includes the following products sold in Canada:

Knights of the Sword toys, distributed by Illinois-based RC2 Corp.
Happy Giddy Gardening Tools, imported by Minneapolis-based Target.
Guidecraft Inc. Children's Puppet Theaters, manufactured by N.J.-based Guidecraft Inc.The CPSC also announced a recall of about 200,000 Thomas & Friends toys in the United States, including:

All Black Cargo Car included in the Brendam Fishing Dock Set only.
Toad vehicle with brake lever.
Olive Green Sodor Cargo Box included in the Deluxe Cranky the Crane.
All Green Maple Tree Top included in the Conductor's Figure 8 Set.
Green Signal Base included in the Conductor's Figure 8 Set.Another 850 children's metal necklaces, manufactured by Rhode Island Novelty, are also being withdrawn in the U.S. because the clasp on the necklace contains unsafe lead levels.
High amounts of lead can harm the nervous system, kidneys and other major organs. Anemia, a decline in red blood cells, can occur, as well as damage to the nervous system that may impair mental function. At worst, lead poisoning can cause seizures or death.
More children's toys manufactured in China are being recalled because they contain unsafe levels of lead, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announced Wednesday.
The recall of toys includes the following products sold in Canada:

Knights of the Sword toys, distributed by Illinois-based RC2 Corp.
Happy Giddy Gardening Tools, imported by Minneapolis-based Target.
Guidecraft Inc. Children's Puppet Theaters, manufactured by N.J.-based Guidecraft Inc.The CPSC also announced a recall of about 200,000 Thomas & Friends toys in the United States, including:

All Black Cargo Car included in the Brendam Fishing Dock Set only.
Toad vehicle with brake lever.
Olive Green Sodor Cargo Box included in the Deluxe Cranky the Crane.
All Green Maple Tree Top included in the Conductor's Figure 8 Set.
Green Signal Base included in the Conductor's Figure 8 Set.Another 850 children's metal necklaces, manufactured by Rhode Island Novelty, are also being withdrawn in the U.S. because the clasp on the necklace contains unsafe lead levels.
High amounts of lead can harm the nervous system, kidneys and other major organs. Anemia, a decline in red blood cells, can occur, as well as damage to the nervous system that may impair mental function. At worst, lead poisoning can cause seizures or death.
The recalls follow a series of recalls and product safety investigations relating to Chinese imports, including products ranging from pet food to toothpaste and children's toys.
On Aug. 1, Mattel recalled about 1.5 million preschool toys for high lead levels. The company subsequently issued a second, larger recall of more than 18 million toys on Aug. 14, saying magnets embedded in the toys as well as high lead levels posed a safety threat to young children. Mattel later ordered a third recall of about 844,000 toys with unsafe lead levels. All the toys were made in China.
Other recent recalls of made-in-China toys include Thomas the Train products and Toys "R" Us art kits, in both cases for high lead levels.
On Friday, U.S.-based toy giant Mattel issued an apology to China over the recall of Chinese-made toys, taking the blame for design flaws and saying it had recalled more lead-tainted toys than justified.

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript charset=utf-8>/* <![CDATA[ */ ad_position('storybody','advert300x250','P',7,5,tr ue,'skipadvert'); /* ]]> */</SCRIPT>

mizunderstood
09-26-2007, 11:47 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2007/09/26/toys-recall.html
There are more recalls on the website

The_Dave
09-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Can you believe Mattel's nerve, they apologized to China, while the real victims are the North American children whose parents purchased these unsafe products. This just proves that that Mattel only cares about profits and not the consumer. I say boycott all Mattel products.

dan j
09-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Really, more blame should be put on companies like Wal Mart who are forcing producers to sell to them at ridiculous prices so the consumer can get the lowest price good. The companies, not wanting to lose out on supplying Wal Mart's demands, start cutting corners in various ways such as choosing shady manufacturers or using cheap designs and giving them to manufacturers who will not question the design as is the case Mattel is claiming responsibility for.

Tammy C
09-27-2007, 12:34 PM
I'm with The Dave on this matter, everyone should be boycotting Mattel. When babies lives are in danger because big enterprises want to make big money, then I say stop buying their product. And....the government needs to get involved and start assuring consumers that every product produced for young children is tested for safety

I have been noticing lately that baby items are not made with the safety measures that I was always used to. Examples. strollers do not have the strap that goes between the legs any longer, the 3 point harness does not hold the child in comfortably, strollers do not have the front tray, now you have to buy this piece separately and it seems to me that most baby items are made more for looks than for safety. Just my opinion My 9 mth old grandson cut his mouth on a Graco playpen just by bouncing in it. 9 month old babies always bounce, why not put extra padding in and avoid these situations?

The_Dave
09-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Really, more blame should be put on companies like Wal Mart who are forcing producers to sell to them at ridiculous prices so the consumer can get the lowest price good. The companies, not wanting to lose out on supplying Wal Mart's demands, start cutting corners in various ways such as choosing shady manufacturers or using cheap designs and giving them to manufacturers who will not question the design as is the case Mattel is claiming responsibility for.

Walmart is not ordering these companies to use companies in China that have slave labour and unsafe materials. It is the Presidents and CEOs of these companies making these decisions to maximize profits for their share holders. They do not care about the consumer.

dan j
09-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Walmart is not ordering these companies to use companies in China that have slave labour and unsafe materials. It is the Presidents and CEOs of these companies making these decisions to maximize profits for their share holders. They do not care about the consumer.

They're doing everything BUT ordering them to.

Companies don't tell Wal Mart what their product costs. Wal Mart tells them how much they want to buy it for. X Company looks at their cost structure and there is no way that they can stay in business with their current model. In order to sell with Wal Mart (the biggest retailer in the world) they have to live by Wal Mart's rules and thus, they cut corners. Sure, blame the companies all you want but know that the source of the pressure comes from Wal Mart. This information is not unknown. It's been pretty common knowledge for awhile now.

Tammy C
09-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Walmart is not the only company selling these unsafe products. The manufacturers have to be more careful with their products. Boycotting Walmart will do nothing to stop these practises. Every item bought from China should be carefully watched. Maybe boycott buying anything made in China would be a better boycott!!!!!!

The_Dave
09-27-2007, 02:44 PM
They're doing everything BUT ordering them to.

Companies don't tell Wal Mart what their product costs. Wal Mart tells them how much they want to buy it for. X Company looks at their cost structure and there is no way that they can stay in business with their current model. In order to sell with Wal Mart (the biggest retailer in the world) they have to live by Wal Mart's rules and thus, they cut corners. Sure, blame the companies all you want but know that the source of the pressure comes from Wal Mart. This information is not unknown. It's been pretty common knowledge for awhile now.

It is still not Walmart making these decisions no matter how YOU want to sugar coat it and blame Walmart. Maybe if these Presidents and CEOs didn't have multi million dollar salaries and stock options they could keep their prices down. It is all greed my friend, for the shareholder. These companies have been doing business in China, Korea, Taiwan, etc, for years, long before Walmart came into the picture. People just love to blame Walmart, they are blind to the real problem, corporate greed.

The_Dave
09-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Walmart is not the only company selling these unsafe products. The manufacturers have to be more careful with their products. Boycotting Walmart will do nothing to stop these practises. Every item bought from China should be carefully watched. Maybe boycott buying anything made in China would be a better boycott!!!!!!

Boycotting products made in China is the answer, especially Mattel products.

orange
09-27-2007, 03:00 PM
It is still not Walmart making these decisions no matter how YOU want to sugar coat it and blame Walmart. Maybe if these Presidents and CEOs didn't have multi million dollar salaries and stock options they could keep their prices down. It is all greed my friend, for the shareholder. These companies have been doing business in China, Korea, Taiwan, etc, for years, long before Walmart came into the picture. People just love to blame Walmart, they are blind to the real problem, corporate greed.

I somewhat share your anti-corporate views, but your defence of Wal-Mart is misguided.

If you look into how the market works for those retailers and suppliers, you can find out how much power and control that Wal-Mart has. They know exactly what they're doing when they demand cut-rate prices from suppliers, and they know that the suppliers will have to cut corners to meet Wal-Mart's demands (and if one supplier doesn't cut corners, then Wal-Mart will pick another supplier who does).

Wal-Mart kind of has "monopsony" power... like monopoly power, but on the "demand" side (although their goal is to have a monopoly on the "supply" (selling) side as well).
http://www.aquadoodiloop.com/index.php?id=1079

orange
09-27-2007, 03:04 PM
In addition to that, Wal-Mart is one of the worst companies on the planet.

3 basic problems with them:

1) They come into towns, slash their prices, drive small businesses & others out of business, and when the competition is gone, they jack up their rates, while selling shoddy, cookie-cutter merchandise from underpaid employees who aren't as knowledgeable as ones you usually find at local stores. The company is like the Borg http://forums.alliedmods.net/images/smilies/borg-smiley.gif

2) They contribute to the global exploitation of workers, and the related problem of shoddy products.

3) They force their own domestic staff to work unpaid overtime.
http://hr.blr.com/news.aspx?id=19252

People should boycott Wal-Mart for so many reasons, and their contribution to shoddy products is just one of them...

MichelleM
09-27-2007, 03:08 PM
these items that are recalled are not just sold by walmart.

dan j
09-27-2007, 03:10 PM

We're aware. I think you missed the point.

orange
09-27-2007, 03:19 PM

Yeah, it was partly to refute the excuses being made for Wal-Mart, but Wal-Mart does play a big role in this whole mess, even for products sold by competitors...

The problem is Wal-Mart is so big that they dictate so much of the market, and force others to act like them. And when Wal-Mart sells shoddy products and consumers still buy them, then other companies have to follow along, or else they'll go out of business.

This link I included above:

...it mentions this example:

Since 2004, Kraft has announced plans to shut thirty-nine plants, to let go 13,500 workers, and to eliminate a quarter of its products. Most reports blame soaring prices of energy and raw materials, but in a truly free market Kraft could have pushed at least some of these higher costs on to the consumer. This, however, is no longer possible. Even as costs rise, Wal-Mart and other discounters continue to demand that Kraft lower its prices further. Kraft has found itself with no other choice than to swallow the costs, and hence to tear itself to pieces.

Kraft supplies products to more than just Wal-Mart, but because of Wal-Mart, we're getting lower quality products from Kraft no matter where we buy their products...
(Kraft was owned by Philip Morris for a long time, so they're a story in themselves too :eek: )

mizunderstood
09-27-2007, 03:50 PM
people, I did not post these new recalls to fight over walmart being the big evil super power of the world. I want to know what are we going to do about all these recalls? I am scared sh*tless to buy anything for my kids lately. And if things don't change and fast its only going to get worse.

orange
09-27-2007, 04:11 PM
people, I did not post these new recalls to fight over walmart being the big evil super power of the world.

As I wrote a couple of times above, the two issues (Wal-Mart and dangerous products) are closely connected:

"The problem is Wal-Mart is so big that they dictate so much of the market, and force others to act like them. And when Wal-Mart sells shoddy products and consumers still buy them, then other companies have to follow along, or else they'll go out of business."

I want to know what are we going to do about all these recalls? I am scared sh*tless to buy anything for my kids lately. And if things don't change and fast its only going to get worse.

Step 1 is that people have to stop buying products from companies like Wal-Mart. If people stop buying Wal-Mart's crap, then Wal-Mart will be forced to improve the quality of what it sells. So they'll pay their suppliers more rather than forcing the suppliers to cut corners (and make dangerous products).

I think companies like Mattel are getting the message because of the outcry about products, but problems caused by Wal-Mart are an underlying issue to all this.

The_Dave
09-27-2007, 06:59 PM
I somewhat share your anti-corporate views, but your defence of Wal-Mart is misguided.

If you look into how the market works for those retailers and suppliers, you can find out how much power and control that Wal-Mart has. They know exactly what they're doing when they demand cut-rate prices from suppliers, and they know that the suppliers will have to cut corners to meet Wal-Mart's demands (and if one supplier doesn't cut corners, then Wal-Mart will pick another supplier who does).

Wal-Mart kind of has "monopsony" power... like monopoly power, but on the "demand" side (although their goal is to have a monopoly on the "supply" (selling) side as well).

Oh I am not defending Walmart, but it is just that they are not solely responsible. Greed has been happening for centuries. People seem to concentate on one company but don't realize it is all the companies and us. We demand inexpensive products and this is what happens. If you boycott these companies and don't shop at the big box stores than none of this would happen. But that would be in a perfect world, and that would never happen because we live in an I want society that is full of greed.

dan j
09-27-2007, 07:28 PM
good points the dave.

MichelleM
09-27-2007, 07:31 PM
it is not just the big box stores. it is people in general. these box stores try to give "us" the consumer what we want.

dan j
09-27-2007, 07:43 PM
i agree michellem. we're all to blame just as the dave was just saying.

JustWatching
09-28-2007, 09:02 AM
Sad but true....what all the posters have said....corners are being cut and the product is crap...but people are (were) happy since they were getting items fairly inexpensive....

Perhaps if we go back to smaller stores...local shops...and are willing to pay more rather than trying to get everything for half nothing the product will be able to be produced in a safe way.

I agree with the people saying to stay away from some of these stores....but also accept that you will be paying more if you want to make the things you buy safe.

We can't have it both ways (apparently) ....get it cheap & safe...