PDA

View Full Version : autism

mizunderstood
09-19-2007, 10:55 AM
I am wondering what exatly drs look for or how do they test for autism?
I was told by my sons speach therapist that we should have him tested for autism... Anyone help me? thanks!

MichelleM
09-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Signs and tests Return to top (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001526.htm#top)
All children should have routine developmental exams by their pediatrician. Further testing may be needed if there is concern on the part of the clinician or the parents. This is particularly true whenever a child fails to meet any of the following language milestones:

Babbling by 12 months
Gesturing (pointing, waving bye-bye) by 12 months
Single words by 16 months
Two-word spontaneous phrases by 24 months (not just echoing)
Loss of any language or social skills at any age.These children might receive a hearing evaluation, a blood lead test, and a screening test for autism (such as the Checklist for Autism in Toddlers (CHAT) or the Autism Screening Questionnaire).

Cherry Pop
09-19-2007, 12:48 PM
This was discussed on Oprah yesterday. It was a very good show. You might want to check out her website as she said there would be information put on it regarding this.

MichelleM
09-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Just because they want to test for Autism doesn't mean that he has it. The probably want to cover everything because the faster they can catch and try to help any speech problems the better results they can have. Also, did they check his hearing?

mizunderstood
09-20-2007, 11:18 AM
thanks cherry pop i will check out oprah's website.. I wish I had known they were doing a show on it I would have watched it...
MichelleM yes they have tested his hearing, nothing wrong with it so they said... but they are running out of reasons why he is sooo far behind in his speach development. THOUGH he does talk more to me than he does to anyone else.. He just refuses to talk to others especially if he can get by using his sign language.. (we taught him sign language as a baby because i have family that is deaf)
They said they want to test him for autism because it is the easiest to test for? I dont know if that is true or not...
I would just like to find out what is wrong with him so that we can work on making him better...