PDA

View Full Version : Sound Card

Adam-07
09-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Ok I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 in my computer and one day I turned on iTunes and it told me I do not have a mixer installed. I took the card out and tried several PCI slots and no results. I even checked the card for any indications of a burnt card and found none.
I have tried running the drivers and the setup cannot detect my card so thats another option out the window. I have checked the audio settings in Control Panel and nothing there either. So can my card really be fried without any physical changes to the outside of the card?
I built the PC but I am still learning tricks and techniques related to PC hardware as I have only gotten into the hardware aspect in the last couple years, most of it is money depending.

kaj27
09-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Try a friends PC see if it works then, If not then you know it's gone.

Adam-07
09-18-2007, 06:51 PM
To try in a friends PC would be a hassle and only a viable option for the weekend. Just wondering if anyone has heard or seen this problem before.

kaj27
09-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Sure, Stuff dies all the time with no visible markings.

Could very well be it.

maddmaxstar
09-19-2007, 12:29 PM
It's still possible that such an issue could be software related. I would try going to the control panel (I'm assuming it's XP... if Vista - that's your problem right there), select "add remove programs" and remove all software related to the Audigy, (Don't restart afterwards) then go to Control Panel>System, Under the hardware tab, click 'device manager' and on the list under "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" check if the Audigy is not there anymore - if it is, delete it.

Without restarting, go to http://www.ccleaner.com and download the CCleaner program (a registry and unused file cleaner, works wonders), install it, and run the program. On the first page, click "Analyze" at the bottom, and once it's done, click "Run Cleaner". After that's done, click on "Registry" on the side and click "Scan for Issues", and after that, click "Fix Selected Issues." Repeat the Scan and fix issues again as it will pick up more issues.

After that, download the newest driver for the Audigy 2 off of Creatives website and restart the PC. Once restarted, install the driver.

---

It could still be software if this procedure doesn't work, it could be a damaged Windows component, and maybe a reinstall of Windows is in order. The only way to truely check if it's dead hardware-wise or not is, as suggested above, put it into another computer.

Now if by chance you're using Vista and iTunes and you get sound from other things but iTunes complains there's no Mixer... Apple's been dragging their heels on Vista compatibility and isn't certified for Vista yet, and it's likely that, because of changes in the Vista's sound system, iTunes' sound controls are buggered up. Try uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes.