PDA

View Full Version : the telegraph journal

puppyluv
01-08-2007, 09:41 AM
I am sorry but I need to rant right now.

Why does the telegraph journal need to charge $3.68 for every 5 words for an obituary???????????"?
How can they make money off of peoples grief???

Mandi
01-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Every FIVE words!? that's insane. I can see that adding up really reall y quickly. :(

puppyluv
01-08-2007, 10:10 AM
434. per city..we also need to do Moncton as well..Same owners. I do not understand HOW they can charge that.....

tag
01-08-2007, 10:14 AM
in my hometown, the obits were the one "free" section, unless someone was doing a 1/4 page or larger

tag
01-08-2007, 10:25 AM
and $27.oo to put a picture with the obit, in the Journal!
just outrageous

magoosmomma
01-08-2007, 10:25 AM
when my mom passed away 2 years ago we spent more on obits then the minister who performed the service..150 for minister fees and 400 on obits that ran 2 days in 2 papers(we had it in 3 but one was free) incredible

we also just paid 78 for a memorial that ran 2 days...

puppyluv
01-08-2007, 10:30 AM
both the telegraph journal and the times transcript are owned by brunswick news, but both have diff fee's for also including a photo.:mad: ( 18 for moncton and over 27 here)
Now, my Mom's memory is worth it, but I do not see how they can charge so much, so much difference when it is the same blasted company..

kb
01-08-2007, 12:54 PM
and they say the government gets you comming and going i guess irving does to

SaskSask
01-08-2007, 01:29 PM
It is sad...

I think the gov should pay for your funeral...they tax you enough when your alive.....atleast they should pay to put you in the ground.

Heheh Nation wide funeral coverage.

magoosmomma
01-08-2007, 02:41 PM
Yeah in a perfect world right...

tryshc
01-08-2007, 09:46 PM
i've seen some obituaries in other places (throughout the us and canada) and one obituary was over 1000 dollars...that's a shame...

tred816
01-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Wow! I didn't know this. I'm astonished that they can get away with this. I just assumed it was just a free or cheap service. Besides, how would people look if they didn't bother to put in an obit??? You have to! Unbelievable. I'm sickened that they can get away with taking advantage of such a thing.

rubycshells
01-09-2007, 02:51 AM
I am very sorry to hear that your mom passed away.:(

devils_advocat1
01-09-2007, 07:54 AM
seems to be along the same lines as the gov't taxing a familly to death (excuse the pun) for a funeral...whats that all about? we put at least 3 memorials in the papers every year for my grandmother, i personally would care what the cost, they would still go in however it is completely outrageous for the papers and the gov't to do such things to a familly in mourning. where is the sympathy?

Cherry Pop
01-09-2007, 08:05 AM
I am sorry but I need to rant right now.

Why does the telegraph journal need to charge $3.68 for every 5 words for an obituary???????????"?
How can they make money off of peoples grief???

That is sad! I'm sorry about your mom.

Pumpkin
01-11-2007, 01:41 PM
I dunno but they charged my mother twice for an obituary and refuse to deal with her. Last I heard she wrote a letter straight to Irving himself.......and they wonder why people don't get the paper anymore. That is why they are always trying to get people to sign up.

devils_advocat1
01-11-2007, 01:49 PM
thats craziness, never understood why businesses try to capitalize on their customers mifortunes they way they do...makes no sence

vairscove
01-11-2007, 03:15 PM
It is so difficult when we loose a loved one. There are so many things that have to be dealt with when this happens in a family.We don't have a choice when it comes to the obituary. We are at the mercy of the local paper and must pay these over priced fees. There should be one set price for everyone. Like $20.00 and $25.00 with photo. I don't think that is unreasonable. I think someone else stated we pay more here than other places and that is not fair. Afterall the paper they use is actually made here in Saint John. I could be wrong on that but isn't the Ivring Paper Mill make the newspaper that is used. Just my feelings on the subject!! What's yours?

puppyluv
01-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Same Obituary....359.oo here....and 418. in Moncton. One day only

Mom IS worth it..but it just came at the wrong time.

MrsBeasley
01-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Sorry to hear about your mom puppyluv, it's really too bad one can't get any breaks during such a hard time. That's just like the funeral homes charging a fortune for caskets and services just because they can as most people grieving don't want to go shoping around town comparing prices and end up settling paying more than they should. The paper can charge such an outrageous amount because there is no competition to choose from unfortunately :(

blacksheep
01-19-2007, 12:54 PM
We were told last year that if we wanted to put a picture in with a birthday greeting it would be $63.00..... When my Mom passed away and we put the obituary in the TG it was over $125.00.. it was just a normal size too, not something elaborate, like some that I have seen. Now they have upped the price of home delivery to over $16.00 a month.

Jhazon
01-20-2007, 10:51 AM
"they are worth it"... that's the problem. No one would not want to pay this fee, regardless of the price so the newspapers have you the moment your loved-one departs. On the plus side, the newpaper will eventually be microfilmed and preserved for future generations to reference of your existance. During my years of research this has been a great resource for uncovering info on family members. However in the early days, death notices were news worthy and printed without a cost. Then someone, somewhere said "Hey, we can made money from this" and other newspapers followed.

beefy
01-21-2007, 09:28 PM
What about the flower shops? They feed off the grief of families too. My wifes grandmother just died, and the prices of the flowers sickened me. Birthdays, births, graduations etc.. are happy times, and people go all out for floral arrangements, but deaths!!! people dont think straight and flower shops know this.

Mandi
01-22-2007, 11:54 AM
What about the flower shops? They feed off the grief of families too. My wifes grandmother just died, and the prices of the flowers sickened me. Birthdays, births, graduations etc.. are happy times, and people go all out for floral arrangements, but deaths!!! people dont think straight and flower shops know this.
:( I may have caught someone on a bad day, but when I was 15, not only did a woman try to charge me more than orchids actually cost... But when I called she said that they had some orchids that were lovely. I got there 15 minutes later, and she got snippy with me, tried to overcharge me for -dead- orchids, and I almost cried when I said that they weren't beautiful, and her reply was 'Well WHO was it that died, I'm sure they won't notice!'
Another woman who was working there opened some lovely lillies for me, and gave me them for 1/2 price. So All at once , I had one very very bad experience, and one very good one, and my nanny had a beautiful lilly arrangement, that I'm sure she /would/ have noticed.

The_Dave
01-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Sorry folks but grief is a business. As much as we all do not like it, it is something we all we be a part of. I went through it with my family when my Mom passed over a year ago and at that time I would have paid anything to HONOUR her. It may be expensive but to me and my family it was worth it. I will every year have an obit in the paper for her and I don't give a *removed* what it costs. She was and still is a Saint. God Bless her.

Fundy
01-26-2007, 05:43 PM
Yes, like it or not death is a business for many different people. They provide a service though and like anyone else they deserve to be compensated. Funeral homes, graveyards, coffin makers, condolence cards, flowers, and yes even churches may charge fees for the organist, etc.

fergiak
02-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Actually, I know this person who always said that she didn't want her obituary in an Irving newspaper.. she died and there was no obituary in the paper, nor online.. so basically, not everyone knew that she died.. I now understand why she didn't want to put it in the paper.. I never knew it was that much.. but still, it made it hard on the family.. they still get asked questions about how she is doing.. I think there should be a flat (cheap) rate