PDA

View Full Version : Rally to save UNBSJ

Prime
09-17-2007, 07:06 AM
Come out to help save UNBSJ and preserve university education in Saint John!

There is a rally at 1pm at King Square today (Monday, Sept 17).

Buses will also be taking people from the UNBSJ campus to King Square at around noon.

Why should Fredericton keep 2 universities (UNBF and St. Thomas) and the Moncton area keep 2 (U de M and Mt. Allison), while Saint John loses its only university!? Moncton will even keep 2 community colleges, and Fredericton will still have 1.

Every other city our size (or smaller) in Canada has its own university, and Saint John deserves to have one as well.

Prime
09-17-2007, 08:03 AM
This blog has a lot of good information:
http://livingininterestingtimes.wordpress.com/

The information below is from an excellent email (written by someone else) that is circulating:

Issue:

The NB Post-Secondary Education Review Commission’s report has recommended the destruction of UNBSJ and NBCC-SJ and the replacement of them with a polytechnic institute that focuses on technical training.

Such a proposal would eliminate access to university education for a large portion of Saint John students who cannot afford to go away for their education. It would also mean that Saint John is the only city of its size in Canada without a university.

History of UNBSJ:

• In the early 1960s local politicians and members of the business community lobbied for the creation of a university because:
-- they recognized that Saint John’s image as a city was harmed by the fact that it did not have a university
-- many local young people could not afford to go away to university and were therefore being denied access to careers in fields such as education, law, business or engineering.
-- City leaders feared the loss of talented people from the city as those who left for university often did not return

• In the initial stage UNBSJ was a 2 year feeder university

• Through the lobbying of the local politicians, members of the business community and the UNBSJ community the campus was expanded to a 4 year degree granting institution in the 1970s offering Arts, Science and Business degrees to thousands of students each year.

• Over 6,000 students have graduated from UNBSJ, over half since the early 1990s.

Why Saint John needs a University:

• 2,800 students currently attend UNBSJ and 75% of these are from the local area.

• Many students must live at home and work one or two part-time jobs in order to afford their university education.

• Over 75% of all jobs in Saint John are non-industrial e.g. education, government, business, health, education, finance, social work, culture, media. Without a university in the city lower income families will not be able to afford to have their children educated in these fields.

• Saint John is forecasting a growth in the economy in the coming years that will increase the demand for individuals with a university education.

• If we wish to have access to medical education in Saint John, we must have a university campus that offers general arts and science programs

• Students who go away to university often stay away. A university is vital to retaining our young men and women, as well a being key to efforts to repatriate them.

• It is hard to attract skilled people to an area/city without a university

• Roughly 70% of university graduates who attend university in the province stay in the province

• The university is an important contributor to the culture and vibrancy of the city. Thousands of our alumni work as teachers, lawyers, nurses, etc. in Saint John. Faculty and staff contribute to community organizations as board members, volunteers and research resources to the community

Implications of replacing UNBSJ with a Polytechnic Institute:

• Polytechnics have developed from colleges, but never from universities. Saint John would have the reputation of being the first city in Canada to lose its university.

• There is no other comparable city in Canada without a university presence. This would damage Saint John’s image and would make the city less attractive to those we hope to attract.

• A polytechinc is not the same as a university. Universities are rooted in general Arts and Sciences programs that provide the communication skills and thinking skills that are required in all fields in today’s world.

• All polytechnics in Canada have grown out of colleges and were not created by collapsing universities.

• Polytechnics (see http://www.polytechnicscanada.ca/ (http://www.polytechnicscanada.ca/)) provide training in technical fields. To go beyond the highly specialized employment for which these students are prepared, they must often obtain a university degree. This degree, for example, prepares them for management positions or other better-paying and highly satisfying careers.

• Many diplomas given out by polytechnic institutions are not the equivalent of university degrees, and they are not usually accepted when students apply for admission to professional programs (eg. law, medicine, education) at universities. Transferability of credits will be a problem.

• The proposal to collapse two very different institutions—UNBSJ and NBCCSJ into a polytechnic—makes it clear that they are not proposing an institution like the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (http://web.mit.edu/ (http://web.mit.edu/)) or the California Institute of Technology (http://www.caltech.edu/ (http://www.caltech.edu/)) which are full fledged universities with under graduate and graduate level arts and sciences programs, as well as high level programs in the technology sector. They do not offer the technical programs found at the polytechnical institutions that have developed out of community colleges (see http://www.polytechnicscanada.ca/ (http://www.polytechnicscanada.ca/)).

• Saint John students would not have access to liberal arts and general science degrees in a polytechnic. This is a serious consideration because currently more than 50% of the UNBSJ enrolments are in the Arts program.

• There is no data or indication that the more than 2000 students taking these programs want to pursue technical training. These students will thus be forced to leave Saint John if they wish to pursue post-secondary education.

• Many students will not be able to leave the city for financial or personal reasons. The Saint John Campus of UNB provides university education to many adult learners, single mothers, as well as partners and spouses of people who work full-time in the city. These people will not be able to move. Thus this would limit the educational opportunities to the very people who need it the most.

• Even among those who could afford to pursue university education outside of Saint John there are many reasons why they may wish to remain in the city (family responsibilities, work responsibilities and even levels of maturity).

• While the polytechnic may eventually draw students to the city, it is unlikely to do so for several years, if not decades. It took more than 35 years for our two institutions—UNBSJ and NBCC—to attain their current size and academic reputation. Institution-building takes time, as well as money.

• Replacing UNBSJ and NBCC with a polytechnic is likely to result in a significant reduction in the number of faculty and staff employed in the hybrid institution. These well paid white-collar jobs will be lost to Saint John and this will affect the social, cultural and economic fiber of our community

• The loss of the UNBSJ campus will seriously affect UNB’s reputation as a national university. The total student population will be significantly reduced in size, and UNB may lose some of its post-graduate specializations (eg. Programs in which the M.A., M.Sc., M.Ed., and Ph.D. are awarded) as faculty in Saint John are part of the School of Graduate Studies.

• Thousands of UNBSJ alumni will see the image of their degree tarnished if their institution disappears and is replaced by a polytechnic.

Action

It is imperative that the Liberal Government recognizes that the citizens of Saint John and the surrounding area do not want to lose UNBSJ. The report was released last week on Friday, and unless Saint Johners and supporters of UNBSJ make their voices heard, the government will almost certainly implement the short-sighted changes.

Things to do:

• Write, e-mail, and phone Shawn Graham, Ed Doherty, and other local politicians to express your concern. Personal contact is important.

• Encourage as many friends and family members to contact these people as well. The more people who contact them in the next week, particularly students and people unconnected to the university, the better.

• Points to stress:
-- Your concern for your children’s and grand-children’s educational opportunities
-- Your concern about the decline in the potential number of local employees for your business with university level education
-- Your concern about the potential impact on an already too high poverty rate in the city
-- Your concern about the image of this city and the impact on the social and cultural opportunities available
-- Your past support for Liberal candidates (if you voted for them) and your uncertainty about your support in the future

MichelleM
09-17-2007, 08:20 AM
if these changes happen how fast do they think it will be before it happens?

Prime
09-17-2007, 08:35 AM
I'm not sure... but the government sounds like it is leaning toward the recommendations to destroy UNBSJ and NBCC-SJ, unless they get an earful from Saint Johners. My guess is that it would take at least a year to implement the changes... but that's pure speculation on my part.

But I hope Saint Johners make it loud and clear to the government that this type of change is unacceptable for what is still basically New Brunswick's largest city, so that the government does the sensible thing and rejects the idea.

A lot of small towns across Canada have universities, and Saint John deserves one too. But Andrew Oland (CEO of Moosehead) seems to think that Saint Johners wanting university education should just drive to Fredericton, which is insane... he's apparently one of the main local supporters of the idea, although most local politicians are against it (except for the ones under the Premier's thumb).

Prime
09-17-2007, 08:47 AM
Here is a list of contacts (got it from another email), for people to send their views to local politicians and let them know that SJ deserves to be treated fairly.

Shawn Graham (the Premier) and Ed Doherty (Minister in charge of Post-Secondary Education) are the two main people to contact, but contacting all of them (especially the MLAs) is most helpful.

PREMIER AND LOCAL MLAs:

HON. SHAWN M. GRAHAM (L), PREMIER
Kent, Electoral District 15 / Legislative Assembly
Phone: (506) 453-2144
Fax: (506) 453-7407
EMail Address: premier@gnb.ca (premier@gnb.ca)
Mailing Address:
Centennial Building
P. O. Box 6000
Fredericton, NB
E3B 5H1

HON. DR. ED DOHERTY (L), MLA
Saint John Harbour, Electoral District 34 / Legislative Assembly
Phone: (506) 453-2342
Fax: (506) 453-3038
EMail Address: Ed.Doherty@gnb.ca (Ed.Doherty@gnb.ca)
Mailing Address:
Chestnut Complex
P. O. Box 6000
Fredericton, NB
E3B 5H1

HON. ROLY MACINTYRE
Minister / Regional Development Corporation
Contact Information
Phone: (506) 453-2277
Fax: (506) 453-7988
EMail Address: Roly.MacIntyre@gnb.ca
Centennial Building
P. O. Box 6000
Fredericton, NB
E3B 5H1
Canada

HON. KELLY LAMROCK (L), MLA
Fredericton-Fort Nashwaak, Electoral District 43 / Legislative Assembly
Phone: (506) 453-2523
Fax: (506) 453-4960
EMail Address: kelly.lamrock@gnb.ca (kelly.lamrock@gnb.ca)
Mailing Address:
Published Address Disabled Access
Place 2000
P. O. Box 6000
Fredericton, NB
E3B 5H1

ABEL LEBLANC (L), MLA
Saint John Lancaster, Electoral District 36 / Legislative Assembly
Phone: (506) 453-2548
Fax: (506) 453-3956
EMail Address: abel.leblanc@gnb.ca (abel.leblanc@gnb.ca)
Mailing Address:
Departmental Building, West Block
P. O. Box 6000
Fredericton, NB
E3B 5H1

TREVOR HOLDER (PC), MLA
Saint John Portland, Electoral District 35 / Legislative Assembly
Phone: (506) 453-7494
Fax: (506) 453-3461
EMail Address: Trevor.HOLDER@gnb.ca (Trevor.HOLDER@gnb.ca)
Mailing Address:
Old Education Building, East Block
710 Queen Street
Fredericton, New Brunswick
E3B 1C5

MARGARET-ANN BLANEY (PC), MLA
Rothesay, Electoral District 32 / Legislative Assembly
EMail Address: Margaret-Ann.BLANEY@gnb.ca (Margaret-Ann.BLANEY@gnb.ca)
Mailing Address:
P. O. Box 6000
Fredericton, NB
E3B 5H1

HON. STUART JAMIESON (L), MLA
Saint John-Fundy, Electoral District 31 / Legislative Assembly
Phone: (506) 453-3009
Fax: (506) 453-4984
EMail Address: saintjohnfundy@hotmail.com (saintjohnfundy@hotmail.com)
Mailing Address:
Centennial Building
P. O. Box 6000
Fredericton, NB
E3B 5H1

HON. MARY SCHRYER (L), MLA
Quispamsis, Electoral District 30 / Legislative Assembly
Phone: (506) 453-2001
Fax: (506) 453-2164
EMail Address: mary.schryer@gnb.ca (mary.schryer@gnb.ca)
Mailing Address:
Sartain MacDonald Building
P. O. Box 6000
Fredericton, NB
E3B 5H1

HON. JACK KEIR (L), MLA
Fundy-River Valley, Electoral District 37 / Legislative Assembly
Phone: (506) 453-6461
Fax: (506) 444-5405
EMail Address: jack.keir@gnb.ca (jack.keir@gnb.ca)
Carleton Place
P. O. Box 6000
Fredericton, NB
E3B 5H1
Canada

JEANNOT VOLPÉ (PC), MLA
Leader of the Opposition
Madawaska-les-Lacs, Electoral District 55 / Legislative Assembly
EMail Address: Jeannot.VOLPE@gnb.ca (Jeannot.VOLPE@gnb.ca)
Mailing Address:
P. O. Box 6000
Fredericton, NB
E3B 5H1

SAINT JOHN COMMON COUNCIL:

Mayor Norm McFarlane
City Hall
15 Market Square
P. O. Box 1971
Saint John, NB
E2L 4L1
Phone - Bus. - 658-2912
Phone - Res. – 635-0385
norm.mcfarlane@saintjohn.ca (norm.mcfarlane@saintjohn.ca)

Deputy Mayor Michelle Hooton
122 Carmarthen St.
Saint John, NB
E2L 2N8
Phone - Cell – 650-1967
michelle.hooton@saintjohn.ca (michelle.hooton@saintjohn.ca)

Councillor Jay-Young Chang
278 Waterloo St.
Saint John, NB
E2L 3T5
Phone – Res. – 657-9987
Phone - Bus. - 693-0884
jay.chang@saintjohn.ca (jay.chang@saintjohn.ca)

Councillor Stephen Chase
30 Anglin Drive
Saint John, NB
E2K 3P9
Phone - Res. - 652-2966
stephen.chase@saintjohn.ca (stephen.chase@saintjohn.ca)

Councillor Ivan Court
2 Valentine Boulevard
Saint John, NB
E2M 5G9
Phone - Res. - 672-0872
Phone - Bus. - 658-5358
ivan.court@saintjohn.ca (ivan.court@saintjohn.ca)

Councillor Bill Farren
873 Edgehill Row
Saint John, NB
E2M 4G7
Phone - Res. – 674-8102
bill.farren@saintjohn.ca (bill.farren@saintjohn.ca)

Councillor John P. Ferguson
33 Vista Ridge Cres.
Saint John, NB
E2J 4K4
Phone - Res. – 674-1237
Phone - Bus. - 658-2492
john.ferguson@saintjohn.ca (john.ferguson@saintjohn.ca)

Councillor Peter McGuire
88 Dexter Dr.
Saint John, NB
E2M 5K2
Phone - Res. – 674-1151
peter.mcguire@saintjohn.ca (peter.mcguire@saintjohn.ca)

Councillor Glen Tait
19 Skyline Dr.
Saint John, NB
E2M 4K2
Phone - Res. – 696-6250
glen.tait@saintjohn.ca (glen.tait@saintjohn.ca)

Councillor Christopher T. Titus
300 Balmoral Crescent
Saint John, NB
E2M 4V3
Phone - Res. - 672-6261
Phone - Bus. - 658-2580
christopher.titus@saintjohn.ca (christopher.titus@saintjohn.ca)

Councillor Carl A. White
23 Cedarwood Dr.
Saint John, NB
E2K 4T4
Phone - Res. – 658-0701
Fax - Res. - 652-7691
carl.white@saintjohn.ca (carl.white@saintjohn.ca)

The_Dave
09-17-2007, 09:40 AM
I would be interested in knowing what the Olands and Irvings have to say about this. They have donated large amounts of money in the past to help UNBSJ grow. As have a large amount of alumnia.

komodo182
09-17-2007, 08:13 PM
i imagine whatever the irvings want they get from teh government, so i wonder myself

Freudian
09-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Why should anyone care what someone who runs a BEER company has to say about a University?

I went to NBCC-SJ. If I had to go to Fredericton or Moncton to get my education, I would have a student loan right now,but I don't because I was able to live at home while going to NBCC.

I agree that NBCC-SJ's buliding needs to be rebuilt, but I don't agree than the University and the College should be demolished and replaced by one Polytechnic Institute. That makes no sense.

Who has what to gain from this?

It's just another example of how Saint John is undervalued. We are very valuable, even if I can't spell.

Cheers.

Andrew

I'm not sure... but the government sounds like it is leaning toward the recommendations to destroy UNBSJ and NBCC-SJ, unless they get an earful from Saint Johners. My guess is that it would take at least a year to implement the changes... but that's pure speculation on my part.

But I hope Saint Johners make it loud and clear to the government that this type of change is unacceptable for what is still basically New Brunswick's largest city, so that the government does the sensible thing and rejects the idea.

A lot of small towns across Canada have universities, and Saint John deserves one too. But Andrew Oland (CEO of Moosehead) seems to think that Saint Johners wanting university education should just drive to Fredericton, which is insane... he's apparently one of the main local supporters of the idea, although most local politicians are against it (except for the ones under the Premier's thumb).

komodo182
09-17-2007, 09:14 PM
i go to unbsj right now and i am quite happy with it. Only thing i dont like is the lockers, lol. they say this is for the students, well, i'm a student. i enjoy going to unbsj and i wish they would not change it.

MichelleM
09-17-2007, 09:20 PM
I also go and work full time(for Irving) and I do not get how they can say that you can just go to Frediricton. They pay for me to go to school but I cannot see them paying for me to have the day off to drive there and back.
There was also mention about declining enrollment. Most of the classes this year had waitlists and are full and beleive Fredericton is in the same situation. Not to mention that even if they were down a little the enrollment of the foreign students continues to grow and the tuition that they are paying should more than make up for any decline.

mizunderstood
09-17-2007, 10:33 PM
I would have liked to have known about this rally before the day it was happening.. I really would not like to see them get rid of UNBSJ and/or NBCC. Why take away what little draw we have to this city?? I am supposed to be going to NBCC in sept so I really hope they don't shut us down! I cannot uproot my family to another city to take a 2 year course to move again! As far as declining enrollment I don't understand that since every program is full and then some. But if enrollment is dropping, MAYBE they eed to drop their tuition rates so more people can afford to attend...

MichelleM
09-17-2007, 10:38 PM
they just raised tuition. I don't think that the changes effect NBCC so much as the effect UNBSJ.
To me its crazy that enrollment is dropping. I am in 4 classes.Three are full and had extra people added over the limit and I had to waitlist for a couple.
The tuition that we pay is nothing compared to what the foreign students pay not to mention the money that they bring into the community.

MichelleM
09-17-2007, 10:39 PM
Did anybody here how the rally went?

sanstu
09-18-2007, 06:54 AM
These changes will have more far reaching effects than have been reported! What about the medical school at UNBSJ? I suppose this is also going to make the announcement regarding the "trauma unit" at the "Regional" much easier now for the government! Hmmmmm......, wonder where that will go? Hint: Moncton!!!

komodo182
09-18-2007, 04:41 PM
i was part of the rally. We more than filled king street. over 1000 strong, yet it meant nothing to them. its amazing how politicians can just avoid certain questions and even when they are asked, they still change the subject. it does not look good.
but it was fun to have everyone screaming at ed doherty. everyone if u care about this-flood him with letters. thats what i am doing and asking everyone to do the same. thanks

komodo182
09-19-2007, 10:48 AM
go sign the petition if you care about siant john and the future of new brunswick

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/ensure-access-to-education-in-New-Brunswick

thanks

komodo182
09-25-2007, 06:19 AM
more signatures needed for this petition. Thanks