PDA

View Full Version : Trans Fats Cause Heart Disease

canadanbgirl
01-07-2007, 12:14 PM
Trans Fats are really bad & cause heart disease...My dad is getting a operation on Thursday to reroute his heart because the valves are 80% & 60 % clogged...So I am doing my hardest to cut out as much Trans fats as I can when making meals & buying groceries so that I can try to make foods healthier for my kids...
I just started a yahoo group Cut Out Trans Fats (http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/cutouttransfats/)

Trans Fat Overview (http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4776)
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4776

harbourchick07
04-22-2007, 12:15 PM
a lot of fast food restaurants are switching their grease to 0 trans fat stuff. i worked at KFC and they switched, i still think it is fating no matter what. I know work at subway and find it a lot healthier then KFC. There are ways to reduce calcium build up on the heart that are cause by these fats. 60 minutes of hard exercise that gets you sweating is really good, not only is it buring fat on the out side but on the inside. and you said you want to make sure your kids are eating healthy. well heres a little tips i got from my doc. if it has a lot of color there is more nutrients if it is pale there is little to none. Iceburg lettuce for example is basically water and has no nutritional value.

vanessalynn5484
04-22-2007, 06:50 PM
Trans fats are very bad for you and I am glad that out society is being more conscious about this. However, it's not the only problem. A Trans-fat free food does not guarantee it is healthy or will aid in a weight loss program.

There are other factors to consider such as saturated animal fats, processed carbohydrates, and caloric content.

"0 grams trans fat" is just another marketing gimmick, like "Low Fat" or "Sugar Free". You should focus on eating natural "whole" foods and of course, treating yourself at least once a week.

harbourchick07
04-22-2007, 07:47 PM
eating natural foods would probably be the right path to follow. i know i am following that road. i have been trying to cut out bad foods like chips and chocolate.

vanessalynn5484
04-22-2007, 08:40 PM
You should not cut out foods you love or think of any foods as "bad". This is not a healthy way to approach dieting because you may find yourself binge eating when you do allow yourself to "cheat" (and I really hate calling it cheating, because that word WILL haunt you! Call it "treating yourself" or anything else that ISN'T negative).

Moderation is key and there is room for all of your fave foods in any weight loss or healthy eating program that will work for you in the long run.

I have a lot experience with this as I was in body building and fitness training. I know about self-deprivation and denying yourself your favorite foods. Well there is a reason why body builders or fitness models take an off season and gain 15 lbs in 2 weeks lol.

I just find that what you said sounded like myself at a younger age and now when I look back I realize how my attitude towards food was hindering my healthy life style more than advancing it.

harbourchick07
04-23-2007, 05:19 PM
one of my gym teachers told me that eating french fries was good, essentially if you are a runner (or running at least 3-4 days a week) as it contains carbohydrates witch are really better to put in your body then calories lol. is this even trough?i know it is better to eat foods that are high and fiber if you want to loose weight and i have been following just about everything that i can get ...talking to doctors, school nurse,and know my gym teacher (well wellness teacher) and she has really made a difference, i can out run any guy in my class which is quiet funny because now they are walking and i am running lol. you say your a fitness trainer well then maybe you could point me in the right direction some more, i really dont want to go down the wrong path again like so many other times, and i have been at my parents to allow me to get a dog so i can start going for longer walks then i do. When at my friends house that is just down the road from me About 8 minute drive i will take her dog and walk to the other property and back sometimes jog the loop (its about 1hr 45 mins ) My gym teach says it is good to push yourself as well, because it just tells you how much your body can take. i was on to have to push myself just to get up the stairs in the school and not take the elevator lol. i haven't completely taken junk food outta my diet i wouldnt really say i am on a diet lol i just never really ate junk food i stuck to the more organic/ garden grown foods that my dad produced.

vanessalynn5484
04-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Everything has calories. Fiber is carbohydrates, but the best kind. They help in maintaining a healthy weight, body, and blood sugar level. Food is made up of protein, fat, and carbohydrates. There are saturated and unsaturated fats. If a product has been hydrogenated it is more likely to contain trans fats. Carbohydrates are starch, fiber, and sugar. Carbs, fats, and protein all have so many calories per gram and that is how the total caloric content of a food is determined.

No matter what anyone says the true way to loose weight is to burn more calories than what you take in because it is extra calories (which is what the energy of the food is measured in) that encourage fat storage. You are telling your body you need to overeat to store up so your body will gain. If you decrease your caloric allowance your body will "burn" the fat deposits in the place of missing calories.

I did not say I am a fitness trainer, I said I used to do fitness training.